Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 4, 2011 4:36 AM CST
    • Cracking stuff! You can't beat a bit of harmony in life.

• December 3, 2011 10:22 PM CST
    • Ah, powerpop. One of my loves...

• December 3, 2011 4:03 PM CST
    • Ahh, such sweet glorious stuff. So, is anyone anyone sitting on some powerpop gem they wish to share. We had Paul Collins round our way not long back. An excellent show on all fronts.

• December 4, 2011 2:43 AM CST
    • Try the "endless yourney"-trilogy,or the "mindrockers" and "bam-caruso" sampler.Or "acid-dreams".That´s nice stuff-but I thing it´s hard to get.

• December 3, 2011 3:26 PM CST
    • The Beautiful Daze - City Jungle

• December 3, 2011 3:26 PM CST
    • Dynamite!  I did snag a copy of Back from the Grave Vol. 1 on vinyl from a friend a few months back, but further volumes have proven difficult to find.  I love Norton's stuff, but up until now I've mostly bought the rockabilly stuff, so I gotta branch out.  I look forward to exploring everyone's suggestions.  Thanks all!

• December 3, 2011 10:54 PM CST
    • Another favorite:

• December 3, 2011 10:18 PM CST
    • Does anyone else on this site enjoy any music like this? The early ska music (AKA bluebeat), its offshoot, rocksteady, which later morphed into skinhead- and mod-centric reggae music? Guys like Prince Buster, Derrick Morgan, The Maytals, the Wailing Wailers? I figured there was a chance some of the soul fans here would at least dig these sounds.

• December 3, 2011 10:37 PM CST
    • Someone already mentioned them, but the meteors are hands-down the best "official" psychobilly band. If you count the Cramps (they themselves don't), the Meteors are second, followed closely by the Guana Batz. The early UK stuff had a really great, raw sound. Nekromantix are really good, but they verge on thrash metal and wouldn't be recommended to fans of early rockabilly as an introduction to psycho. I love the Rev, as well, but the American stuff is a bit different. I wouldn't call Elvis hitler or Mojo psychobilly. I've always considered both to be more cowpunk. This is all in my humble opinion, BTW.

• December 3, 2011 10:01 PM CST
    • .....Wow...really great tunes! Thanks Steve! I'm a big fan of this band. To me they are the modern-day Lyres!

• December 3, 2011 9:56 PM CST
    • OMFG!!! Clicking the shit out of my click device now!!!

• December 3, 2011 7:01 PM CST
    • Southgate House here in Newport Kentucky is beyond amazing. Unfortunately, they announced this past week that after 30 years, they will be shutting down and moving to a new location. Turns out its family legal drama. What better place than the mansion where the inventor of the Tommy Gun was born? Check out their website www.southgatehouse.com

• December 3, 2011 4:36 PM CST
    • You'd have to define 'club' but one of the best venues was the old Skrappy's in Tucson. Rad green room completely open for doing stencils and graffitti backstage, they had a snack bar (all ages no alcohol kinda place, which was the only downside) smoking area, etc. 

The thing that made it cool though was that it was open as a youth center all day every day, and it was all volunteer, or rather user-run, so it had a really cool vibe. The people are what made it, tons of kids would show up to see ANY kind of band, and they'd get into it. One of those rare, open-to-new-stuff islands, know what I mean? The sound was great and the stage was great too. And it was right by the hotel Congress, so you could just walk across the street and have a drink at the bar of the hotel where Dillinger got caught.

For sheer atmosphere/decoration, AND with a bar, CIA in North Hollywood. You can search for pictures online but you don't get 1/100th of what it actually looks and feels like. It's the creepiest, weirdest, most rad little spot ever. It's like a circus sideshow on acid.

• December 3, 2011 3:35 PM CST
    • Ok I live in middle of nowhere. But so far is Loppen in Chistania in Cobenhagen in Denmark is the best live bar i have been in. And one BIG plus is you can smoke gringo inside and nobody gives a shit.

• December 3, 2011 2:37 PM CST
    • Some of my faves , in this life , include The Hot Klub in Dallas. Not the first , but the second Punk/NewWave WHATEVER venue in Dallas (ca. 80 - 83.), and the first real club I got to go to , tho' nowhere nearly as often as I wish I had , because I was still underage.

The Purple Onion in San Francisco. This venue has undergone MANY changes , in terms of location and theme , and Many LONG gaps between different versions of the club.

But , I went there , once , in 1999 (I think.) while visiting friends and family in The Bay area.

I saw The Loons , Dukes of Hamburg and Tee and The Crumpets , great show all around , and yes , the club at that time was very cool - looking , but , the bottom line was , people came there to have fun , I mean a LOT of fun. Women were coming up to me and asking me to dance. That used to happen all the time in  the early 80's , but , rarely today. I'm just as guilty , I generally don't ask ladies I don't know to dance anymore , tho' it's been known to happen.... The whole atmosphere was like being on the set of "Riot on Sunset Strip". The barmaid was go - go dancing up on the bar  . Russell Quan was eating a banana and an orange , leaving the peels on the floor , pissing himself laughing whenever someone stepped on the banana peel , meeting Dominic Priore , and my good friends , Mike and Anja Stax (It was the first time we'd met in person , tho' we'd been in touch for a while.).

Anja looked stunning , of course , but also stunningly familiar , I could'nt place it , where I would have seen her or her picture before. She told me she had played in a band in England a couple of years previously , but , I misunderstood her when she told me the band's name. I thought "What's a nice girl like this doing in a band called DOG BOLLOCKS ?!". Twenty minutes into my ride back to my friend's house , it hit me. She said DIABOLIKS !!! No wonder I thought I recognized her , I have their records.  But , even stronger and stranger deja vu occured when I saw this older guy , brooding , but enjoying the show. It was kind of dark , but , he looked very familiar , like someone I think I met in the early 80's. Well , he should have , that's when I met Jello Biafra.

• December 3, 2011 3:53 PM CST
    • The recent crop of Dirty Water Records stuff has been ace - The Routes, The Fuck Knights, Hollywood Sinners - and have had a lot of Los Chicos on lately. Aaaah, and The Ugly Beats. Glorious stuff!

• December 3, 2011 3:48 PM CST
    • Alright folks. The Pulsebeats here. We've loved the podcasts up here for an age and it's about time we jumped fully on board with you all.

Looking forward to it.

Nathan

• December 3, 2011 2:31 PM CST
    • I'd recommend the Hex Dispensers, Lost Sounds, Thee Oh Sees, Ty Segall... stuff like that.

• December 3, 2011 2:27 PM CST
    • I feel like listening to something dark and gritty, almost spooky, but danceable... Does anyone out there have any suggestions? Like some combination of Le face and Joy division... 

• December 3, 2011 2:20 PM CST

• It was bound to happen! Yes, I've created a new Facebook page for the Santa Fe Opry. Check it HERE

This is the place to share news and links about the music we like, to communicate during the show itself and to request songs on the show (remember, I bring almost all my own music to the station, so the earlier you request, the more likely it will be played. Tell your friends!)

The Santa Fe Opry airs Friday nights 10 p.m. to midnight on KSFR, 101.1 FM and streaming live on the web .

I also just a Facebook page for my Sunday night radio show,Terrell's Sound World.

And of course my Big Enchilada podcast has been on Facebook for some time now. It's HERE