Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 8, 2011 9:09 PM CST
    • The London Souls with Tab the band

The Mighty Hot Snakes with Two Tears (both f'ing awesome)

• December 8, 2011 2:14 PM CST
    • I caught Tandoori Knights (King Khan & Bloodshot Bill) a couple of weeks ago in St Louis.

• December 7, 2011 7:25 PM CST
    • Hi , Mina. Last weekend , I witnessed the 1-2 Double K-O Punch of Jerry Lee Lewis and Question Mark and The Mysterians , BOTH at the top of their game , in one night.

I saw Joe "King" Carrasco a few times when I was on vacation in Puerto Vallarta , Mexico. If you ever go there , definitely stop by Nacho Daddy and see Joe. He is'nt doing backflips , anymore , but , he still does a great show. He had Marianne Faithfull (And even Manfred Mann's)'s Bass player sitting in on one show.....IF I get my ass off this chair , and decide it's not too cold out , I still , tentatively , plan to see Rocket From The Tombs , tonight. That's about it.

• December 8, 2011 3:38 PM CST
    • DOWNLOAD | SUBSCRIBE | SUBSCRIBE TO ALL | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOGSPOT

Watcha Weird-Ohs
      I'm Mr A the Barber and this is vol. 41 of YOU GOT GOOD TASTE

No theme this month just one hour of new and old GOOD TASTE tunes.

'WEIRDSVILLE'
      The YOU GOT GOOD TASTE club night
      !!!!!!!!!! bands, booze, babes 'n' bad taste all to the tune of trashy rock'n'roll !!!!!!!!

Every 1st Saturday Opening night 3rd March 2012
      HERE http://www.the-fighting-cocks.co.uk/

IT"S FREE!!!!!
      Two bands, FREE shots, Weird visuals, trashy tunes, dancin' till late!

The Glitter Band - Rock On
      Link Wray - Deuces Wild
      Atomic Suplex - Atomic Suplexed by a Girl
      The Monsters - What'ca Gonna Do
      The Tinglerz - Fever Hell
      Thee Vicars - Every Day
      Billy Dee - Baby Your Mine
      The Alcons - Black Jack
      Skurkana - Stick Up

Nick Curran and the Lowlifes - Tough Lover
      Bing Day - I Can't Help It
      Johnny Burnette - Please Don't Go
      Virgil Holmes - Ghost Train
      The Gun Club - Bad Indian
      The Human Trash - Poison Idea
      Thee Gravemen - Shake It

The Cadets - Stranded in the Jungle
      Varetta Dillard - Scorched
      The Rhythm Shakers - My Sweet Revenge
      The Sneatsniffers - She's a Fox
      The Bloody tomahawks - Bursting Love
      Johnny Throttle - Spazztastic

Thanks for listening
      Mr A the Barber

• December 8, 2011 3:11 PM CST
    • I'm not much on reggae but I really dig the trad ska/bluebeat/rocksteady stuff from the early 60s...slowly realizin' I dig most, if not all, music made from the early 60s (i.e. surf, vocal groups, pop, r'n'r, ska,...the list goes on baby)

• December 8, 2011 9:44 AM CST
    • I love my reggae...bluebeat/ska/rocksteady/roots/dub/toasting/2-Tone...amazing how one 'small' island created such a musical revolution...

• December 7, 2011 11:37 PM CST
    • I was just reminded once again of this song earlier today. One of my favorite tunes out of any genre!

• December 7, 2011 8:13 PM CST
    • Love the older stuff mainly.  Huge old soul fan.  Stormy, Marion Black, Dyke & The Blazers, just to name a few.  I am a drummer in a garage rock band, but have a side Funk Soul Project.  I love the garage vibe, but there is nothing like layin it down with a funk riff.  Puts you in a good mood instantly!

• December 8, 2011 12:38 PM CST
    • One of my favorite biker songs is Zeke's "Chiva Knievel" that includes some killer motorcycle engine revving!

• December 8, 2011 12:55 PM CST
    • Very well said! I'm still thinking that the scene will revive itself. Just a matter of time :)

THE MARSHMALLOW OVERCOAT said:

Let me add my own little "Yeah" for Erik, who has been a true indie music supporter for DECADES. The style posers will always come and go, but the true believers like Erik keep this music alive, against all odds.

Erik, the major economic issues you face are faced by us all -- no one is buying much product, but plenty sure are copying and "sharing it" (it's called stealing in the real world). This is putting so many indie labels and producers out of business, but won't stop anytime soon.

So I hope you will keep the faith and continue to put out great stuff! We have no other choice, lol. 

-- your friends in the Arizona desert. :) 

• December 8, 2011 12:21 PM CST
    • Glad you bumped it, Sam!

• December 8, 2011 3:21 AM CST

• Chris Henniker said:

"Telstar " and "Night of The Vampire". Although it's not an instrumental, I love "Johnny, Remember Me".

Yes Night of the Vampire is indeed one of Thee most twisted instro's ...

I'm gonna have to check out my collection to see if I can top that one or b ring to light stuf you might not know .. well the whole "I Hear A New World " Meek moon concept LP (alright some of it is vocal) March of the Dribcots,anyone? ha,ha

• December 7, 2011 8:48 PM CST
    • sweet list right on

• December 7, 2011 8:45 PM CST
    • I listen to and love about half of this list--can't wait to listen to the rest! thankzzz :)

would recommend you in return: Thee Oh Sees (though i'm guessing you already know em), Woven Bones, Nobunny, High Pop, Allah-Las (don't have much out right now but they sound awesome).... 

Alex said:

Ty Segall, King Khan (all of his bands), CoCoComa, Black Lips, The White Wires, Moonhearts, Personal & the Pizzas, The Spits, Bad Sports, Wax Museums, Cheap Time, Jacuzzi Boys, Fungi Girls, Wau y los Arrrghs!!!, Thee Fine Lines, The Unwed Teenage Mothers

• December 7, 2011 7:43 PM CST
    • Best one I saw recently was the Terry Malts. great twitchy garage - reminds me a lot of the Embarrassment. Highly recommended.

• December 7, 2011 5:24 PM CST
    • I concur!  CHEERS Paul!

Paul Messis said:

Guys.... shameless self promotion here... But I feel my sounds are pretty good NEW garage.

www.paulmessis.moonfruit.com.... on arsebook too.

Paul

• December 7, 2011 7:48 PM CST
    • Definitely going to have to say The Funhouse here in Seattle. It has an evil clown motif! And though I haven't touched a basketball in almost 15 years, they've got a hoop in the back! Always a lot of energy, always great garage/punk shows - stiff and cheap drinks and just an overall fun atmosphere. 

• December 7, 2011 7:15 PM CST
    • I might add , too , The Hideout  , partly , lost it's sheen (Just for me.), because it's next to impossible to order a drink there , unless you're sitting at the bar , and , even that's no guarantee. I almost got into a fight there once , because some big hardass guy left his barstool , so I moved up to the bar , just long enough to get a drink and go. After all , he said nothing about coming back , but when he did , he opened a tallboy can of testosterone. I merely told him the truth , that he was acting like a dick , and then ,I realized it was'nt a real good idea to stay. I normally don't say stuff like that , but , he worked my last good nerve. Another guy was giving me a lot of crap for no good reason while we were still waiting to get into the show. His buddy actually intervened , telling him  , " Look , if this guy wanted to insult YOU , he's got a lot of material to work with.".    I said , "Nah , it's OK. I used to have a beard , too , and I'll probably go bald , eventually.". Shut HIS ass up , anyway , but , I DON'T GO TO A SHOW OR A CLUB FOR THAT , ESPECIALLY A PLACE WITH A REP AS THE HAPPY GOODTIME FUN COTTON CANDY PALACE of Chicago.

John Battles said:

Hey , Joe ! Sorry I missed you at that Fleshtones show...Long , boring story behind that. Being that I live in Chicago , sometimes my take on things , clubwise , does'nt always keep up with popular opinion....OK , frequently. I'm not as into The Hideout as a lot of people are .... It's a really cool LOOKING place , for anybody that has'nt been there. And , yes , I have seen some really good shows there (Not even that many , as Insurgent Country , and some of the other music they showcase , is'nt my scene.). The first few years they were open , I liked 'em better than I do , now , but , again , that's just me.

Similarly with The Bottle , loved 'em the first 5 or 6 years they were open , but , they were booking a lot more bands that I'm personally interested in. People I meet , now , talk about them like they just opened last month. That's actually GOOD , But , being as how they opened about (Exactly?) 20 years ago , it does'nt seem so new to me. I liked it , best , when Lounge Ax was still open and both clubs gave each other healthy competition , and both venues were coughing up the shows. I still like 'em just fine , but I really only go there maybe 3 times a year , only because that's how often there's a show I feel like making the trek out there to see. I do want to say , tho' , I've played there maybe 5 times , mostly Roctober - related reviews where I only did short sets , 10 minutes on average (But , I was very glad to do them.). You know , all of those things went fine , low pressure gigs , where my Editor , Jake Austen , handled most of the arrangements. But , the first BIG show I played on there was with The Gories , last October , and I do have to say , everything about the way everybody there treated me , and handled the situation as a whole , was 100 % top notch , from a performer's point of view. I was blown away by how professional everything was being run , so , of course , I'd love to play there again  , especially if I'm lucky enough to be in a situation like that.

Joe Bonomo said:

The old 9:30 Club in Washington DC, Empty Bottle and the Hideout in Chicago.

• December 7, 2011 7:04 PM CST
    • By "Dance Club" , BTW , I just mean a BARN where DJs played Rock and Pop music of the day ('82 or '83.)....Already too square for me , but there is'nt much to do in a town so small
       , that for years you had to buy your records at WAL-MART (They did have The Fleshtones' First LP.). I was accosted , and told to get off the floor , for dancing with myself (Uh - huh - huh - ho.).
      John Battles said:

I guess I forgot to say what else I liked about The Hot Klub. There was a remarkable energy about the place , when the band would come on , you'd instantly have a packed dance floor , or , at least , a respectable showing. Now , it is'nt cool to dance to Rock'n'Roll .You can get people dancing like their nads are on fire , but , usually , only with totally UNdanceable music.But , The Hot Klub was the kind of place where people just wanted to rock out , and it did'nt matter if you were a very good dancer , or if you did'nt have a partner , or if you danced with a member of the same gender (None of these things would bat an eye , today , but , 30 years ago , sheesh !).  I was told to stop dancing at a "Dance" club one time , why? Because I was'nt dancing with a partner. That , and the decor was kind of low rent , but artistically pleasing enough. Above the stage , the club's name was written in spraypaint (The spraypaint "Mural " , mostly of band logos , by the bands themselves, at the front entrance was priceless. Bands like X, Big Boys , Circle Jerks , Misfits , and others , sprayed their name in big "Fonts" on the wall. In fact , Black Flag spraypainted their own name (During guess which song?) below the "Hot Klub" logo . One witty individual painted out the "l" in "Flag". The walls , mostly black , with artistically arranged mirror glass shards , looked down on a cool black and white tile dance floor (Very 50's looking , tho the floor itself was probably laid out before talking pictures.). It had an atmosphere that was seedy but arty , too. Art should have a seedy quality , anyway.

John Battles said:

Some of my faves , in this life , include The Hot Klub in Dallas. Not the first , but the second Punk/NewWave WHATEVER venue in Dallas (ca. 80 - 83.), and the first real club I got to go to , tho' nowhere nearly as often as I wish I had , because I was still underage.

The Purple Onion in San Francisco. This venue has undergone MANY changes , in terms of location and theme , and Many LONG gaps between different versions of the club.

But , I went there , once , in 1999 (I think.) while visiting friends and family in The Bay area.

I saw The Loons , Dukes of Hamburg and Tee and The Crumpets , great show all around , and yes , the club at that time was very cool - looking , but , the bottom line was , people came there to have fun , I mean a LOT of fun. Women were coming up to me and asking me to dance. That used to happen all the time in  the early 80's , but , rarely today. I'm just as guilty , I generally don't ask ladies I don't know to dance anymore , tho' it's been known to happen.... The whole atmosphere was like being on the set of "Riot on Sunset Strip". The barmaid was go - go dancing up on the bar  . Russell Quan was eating a banana and an orange , leaving the peels on the floor , pissing himself laughing whenever someone stepped on the banana peel , meeting Dominic Priore , and my good friends , Mike and Anja Stax (It was the first time we'd met in person , tho' we'd been in touch for a while.).

Anja looked stunning , of course , but also stunningly familiar , I could'nt place it , where I would have seen her or her picture before. She told me she had played in a band in England a couple of years previously , but , I misunderstood her when she told me the band's name. I thought "What's a nice girl like this doing in a band called DOG BOLLOCKS ?!". Twenty minutes into my ride back to my friend's house , it hit me. She said DIABOLIKS !!! No wonder I thought I recognized her , I have their records.  But , even stronger and stranger deja vu occured when I saw this older guy , brooding , but enjoying the show. It was kind of dark , but , he looked very familiar , like someone I think I met in the early 80's. Well , he should have , that's when I met Jello Biafra.

• December 7, 2011 5:07 PM CST
    • I knew I should have bookmarked the website I saw announcing the reissue of The Gizmos split with Dow Jones & The Industrials "Hoosier Hysteria." Early this year I was on a website that said the record would be repressed by, what I believe was, this past October. I have been unable to track down any confirmation of that.

I was excited that it would be out on vinyl, not CD.

http://www.slippytown.com/gizmos.htm  Seems to be the go-to site for The Gizmos, but nothing on the Hoosier album.

Anyone know if this is actually in the works or out already?

• December 7, 2011 4:30 PM CST
    • You don't want to put stuff in the boot of a Mini; it gets wet! Mind you, stuff gets wet on the floor too, best just put it all on the seats.... the old Ludwig kit - bass drum, floor tom/rack tom (inside it - top skins only) went on the back seat, cymbals on top of bass drum, snare on top of that, suitacase full of things on the front seat, hi-hat sand and big boom cymbal stand on floor in back.

I'd quite like another Mini.....

• December 7, 2011 4:17 PM CST
    • Hell YEAH-great stuff.THIS is R´n´R-history.