Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 3, 2011 2:14 PM CST

• It was bound to happen. Both my local radio shows, including Terrell's Sound World, now have their own Facebook pages. I think this Facebook thing might catch on.

These are the places to share news and links about the music we like, to communicate during the show itself and to request songs on the show (remember, I bring almost all my own music to the station, so the earlier you request, the more likely it will be played. Tell your friends!)

For the uninitiated Terrell's Sound World  is the home of Freeform Weirdo Radio. You're going to hear a lot of the stuff Hideout folks love -- wild old R&B, surf, psychedelic, garage, gutter blues, psychobilly and sweaty soul music. I play vicious punks, happy drunks ... and sometimes I drift into world music, gospel, jazz from various dimensions ... I play whatever I'm in the mood for. And I get in some weird moods sometimes.

Sound World airs Sunday nights 10 p.m. to midnight Mountain Time (!) on KSFR, 101.1 FM and streaming live on the web.

True fact: I play lots of bands from the Hideout on this sleazy show.

Denizens of Podunk Holler will love my Friday night show The Santa Fe Opry. It's Facebook page is HERE

And of course my Big Enchilada podcast has been on Facebook for some time now.

Don't just like them at home. Go to Facebook and LIKE them all!

• December 3, 2011 2:14 PM CST
    • Is this Sergio ? Even if not , hope you're well. I was just thinking about The Sick Rose's versions of "Come and Get It" (Blue Cheer) , and "My Own Time" (Golden Dawn) the other day.

The Sick Rose said:

In the USA:  definitely The Empty Bottle - Chicago

In London: The Dirty Water (but I think it's closed now…).

In Spain: Sala Beat - Tomelloso (you won't believe it's there in the middle of nowhere, and you won't believe how many garage rockers will show up!)

In Italy: Spazio211 - Torino (our home!)

• December 3, 2011 2:09 PM CST
    • Hey , Joe ! Sorry I missed you at that Fleshtones show...Long , boring story behind that. Being that I live in Chicago , sometimes my take on things , clubwise , does'nt always keep up with popular opinion....OK , frequently. I'm not as into The Hideout as a lot of people are .... It's a really cool LOOKING place , for anybody that has'nt been there. And , yes , I have seen some really good shows there (Not even that many , as Insurgent Country , and some of the other music they showcase , is'nt my scene.). The first few years they were open , I liked 'em better than I do , now , but , again , that's just me.

Similarly with The Bottle , loved 'em the first 5 or 6 years they were open , but , they were booking a lot more bands that I'm personally interested in. People I meet , now , talk about them like they just opened last month. That's actually GOOD , But , being as how they opened about (Exactly?) 20 years ago , it does'nt seem so new to me. I liked it , best , when Lounge Ax was still open and both clubs gave each other healthy competition , and both venues were coughing up the shows. I still like 'em just fine , but I really only go there maybe 3 times a year , only because that's how often there's a show I feel like making the trek out there to see. I do want to say , tho' , I've played there maybe 5 times , mostly Roctober - related reviews where I only did short sets , 10 minutes on average (But , I was very glad to do them.). You know , all of those things went fine , low pressure gigs , where my Editor , Jake Austen , handled most of the arrangements. But , the first BIG show I played on there was with The Gories , last October , and I do have to say , everything about the way everybody there treated me , and handled the situation as a whole , was 100 % top notch , from a performer's point of view. I was blown away by how professional everything was being run , so , of course , I'd love to play there again  , especially if I'm lucky enough to be in a situation like that.

Joe Bonomo said:

The old 9:30 Club in Washington DC, Empty Bottle and the Hideout in Chicago.

• December 2, 2011 3:19 PM CST
    • I'm really lucky to have The Bell House in Brooklyn NYC less than a 10 minute drive from my house. I've pretty much taken to using the place as my local hang and an excuse to catch a show on nearly any night of the week. 

The recent 4 day Norton 25th Anniversary Shindig followed by a Shonen Knife show less than a week later is just a small sample of what's been offered in the couple of years since the place opened.

• December 3, 2011 11:31 AM CST
    • Playlist for 12-2-11

Download or stream the entire Dec. 2 show right here. Find Zero Hour on Facebook here.

Mrs. Santa Claus – Nathaniel Mayer
      Who Likes Christmas Anyway? – Luis & the Wildfires
      Christmas at Montsegur – Knights of the New Crusade
      It’s Christmas Time – The Qualities
      Poor Mr. Santa – Andre Williams

The Girl Can’t Dance/Look Away – Swingin’ Neckbreakers
      Down Home Girl – The Mummies
      My Box Rocks – Figures of Light
      Get Your Feet Off Of Me – Kavalier
      Karate Monkey – The Kongsmen

Handgrenade Heart – The Zeros
      Long Island Lolita – Brijitte West & the Desperate Hopefuls
      Brain Damage – Personal & the Pizzas
      Red Headed Girl (partial) – The Movements 
      Girl – The Barreracudas

Local Lunchbox 
      Trolley interview

I Woke Up – Trolley
      Till I’m Gone – Trolley

Mom Won’t You Teach Me to Monkey – Little Emmet Sutton
      That’s It Man – The Valentines
      We’re the One – The Live Ones
      Psycho – Nick Curran
      Boogaloser – Fuad & the Feztones
      I Can’t Believe My Eyes – Del Shannon
      Do You Wanna Dance – Del Shannon

Ready to Roar - Mighty Fine
      Keep ‘Em Satisfied Pt. 2 – Mark Sultan
      We Are the Ocean – The King Khan & BBQ Show
      Satellite of Love – DM Bob & The Deficits

Floor – Dynamite Pussy Club
      Jumpin’ Jack Flash – Dave “Baby” Cortez
      Eat My Dustaphonics – The Dustaphonics
      Keep You Around – The Party Lights
      Big Street Time – Ramma Lamma
      Double Chin – The Naked Heroes

Waters live in the studio
      Take Me Out to the Coast – Waters

Throw Me a Bone – Boo Frog
      Apple Seeds –Vernon Selavy
      Pretty Girl – The Gaye Blades
      Million Miles Away (live) – The Plimsouls
      Mental Holiday – The Insomniacs

• December 3, 2011 10:47 AM CST
    • Coolness.

• December 3, 2011 10:39 AM CST
    • Done sir!

Gringo Starr said:

@Wipeout: It would be cool if you connected The Jackets to your group. Let me know, Flo!

• December 3, 2011 9:08 AM CST
    • For me Last is just another promotional tool for my band. I do notice that if you are listed there you get quite a lot of mentions on other sites. So, having said that, please check out, add or 'scrobble' my band The Jackets - http://www.last.fm/music/The+Jackets

@Wipeout: It would be cool if you connected The Jackets to your group. Let me know, Flo!

• December 2, 2011 11:22 AM CST
    • Been on Last for a while.

http://www.last.fm/user/ELpollacko

Never used it because of the lack of connectivity with my Zune stuff. Their network was rival and fairly decent but MS gave up on it, now on Spotify, not nearly as interesting but works. And now with the Spotify Apps being added, I will probably use Last a bit more.

If your on Spotify, add me: 123400347

• December 3, 2011 10:04 AM CST
    • Norton Records (www.nortonrecords.com) has also put out a lot of great comps over the years. I'd highly recommend the Ft. Worth Teen Scene comps as a good starting point (not to mention their Sonics/Wailers reissues). They should also stock all of the Crypt Records comps mentioned above (Teenage Shutdown, Back From the Grave, Garage Punk Unknowns). Crypt doesn't have an online store for U.S. customers anymore, so your best bet in finding that stuff is through Norton, IMHO. The Pebbles comps can be found at www.bomp.com (they're on AIP, a subsidiary of Bomp Records). Sundazed also issued some killer '60s comps in their "Garage Beat '66" series. Here's Vol. 1: http://www.sundazed.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=679

Mike Stax's Ugly Things magazine is an excellent resource, too. His site also has a Garage Compilation Database that can come in handy when trying to track down which comps have certain songs.

http://www.ugly-things.com/

(Just click on "60's Come Database" in the menu on the right-hand side.)

• December 3, 2011 9:28 AM CST
    • Wow! You're about to have your life changed Joe. After you have absorbed all of the above mentioned obligatory collections, maybe you will have enough brain cells left to devour one of thee most extraordinary collections of music from the state in the union that seemed to be way ahead of everyone in the mid 60's - Texas!!! Yeah, go figure. Just Google these two words: Acid Visions.

• December 2, 2011 8:20 PM CST
    • Another good resource to check out is the website "Garage Hangover", an exhaustive and essential site that's a great resource on obscure garage bands from the '60's. The guy's done his homework over there plus there's free mp3 downloads. It's a must if you really want to research it. If you go (and you should) be prepared to spend a few hours! www.garagehangover.com 

• December 2, 2011 8:11 PM CST
    • Yep, all of the above, plus you'll be doing yourself a HUGE favor if you check out the Arf! Arf! Records website. Lots of great garage comps, bargain priced samplers, and some stuff that's truly off the wall, plus excellent anthologies on bands you can't go wrong with. Check out their online catalogue: www.arfarfrecords.com

• December 2, 2011 6:28 PM CST
    • Don't forget the Pebbles & Garage Punk Unknowns comps, too. Lots of good stuff there as well.

• December 2, 2011 5:52 PM CST
    • The Nuggets Box Set is a PERFECT place to start! And Back From The Grave series, as ixnayray has pointed out

• December 2, 2011 5:41 PM CST
    • Buy all the 'Back From The Grave' albums, buy all the 'Teenage Shutdown' albums. All available from Crypt Records. That should do it.

• December 2, 2011 5:05 PM CST
    •      Hey all!  I need some assistance. I have a reasonably good grasp of contemporary garage rock/punk, but my knowledge of original 60's garage is kinda spotty. What are the "must hear/must know" tunes or bands from that era? I'm a little familiar with The Sonics, ? and the Mysterians, The Seeds, Count Five, and a few of the hits (e.g., "Surfin' Bird"), but beyond that I don't know much.

Also, is the Nuggets boxed set a good place for a beginner to start?

Thanks!

-Joe

• December 3, 2011 9:11 AM CST
    • I'll be on the air and the web Saturday December 3 from 1:00-3:00PM EST.  WITR-FM 89.7 in Rochester, NY or streaming live at http://witr.rit.edu 

• December 2, 2011 5:50 PM CST
    • Playlist Dec 1/2011

We started this last minute show (originally we were pre-empted by UWO Hockey and then Mustang Nation host, Dan Soden asked if we wanted to start at 6PM...definite no brainer as we've got so much new music to get out there) as we started at 6PM, hence the 3 parts to the podcast.

1. Uranus....Gilligan's Island...from the You're So Square LP from 1980. This is the band that started it all here in London Ontario. These guys were playing Johnny Burnette, Nick Lowe, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, John Hiatt, Ricky Nelson and tons more while most of us were still listening to bad 70's arena rock! Check out singer/guitarist Frank Ridsdales shows around town.

2. 3D Invisibles...Monster DJ...from the Jump Off The Screen LP from the mid 80's. These guys only played London once...at our wedding party back in 19.......

3. Jim Ashby....Speed City....the best 7" to ever come out of London Ontario!

4. Bobby Barnett....Drink Canada Dry....from the Country Trash CD that JR Williams recently compiled.

5. Porter Wagonner....Rubber Room....from Lux and Ivey's Faves Volume 3.

6. The Black Holes...Super Freak...recorded live at The Brunswick Hotel in beautiful downtown London Ontario. A little different from their usual rockabilly noise, this just shows how demented these guys really are. The Black Holes make a rare live appearance at Call The Office on Sat Dec 17th and guitarist Tom Hilborn will have some of his art on display.

7. Jack Kittel...Psycho....from Country Trash. I remember hearing this tune on AM radio when i was a kid and it still has the same effect on me to this day! Pure insanity!

8. 101 Strings...Flame Out....from Lux and Ivey's Faves Volume 16. 101 Strings were a studio conglomerate that pumped out putrid orchestral type covers of popular songs back in the 60's and released them on LP. Usually the LP cover was WAY better than the crap packaged inside. For some reason, parents of us kids would buy this crap. This particular song is the exception to the ruler....just listen to that FUZZ kids! This woulda caused Dad to run over to the hifi to try and figure out what all the fuzz was about!

9. Osterberg...London Eat's It's Own....from a 10" with Legend Killer Earle Rutherford on vocals. Osterberg are playing with The Black Holes on Sat Dec 17th.

10. The Hook Up....A Happening For Many...from the soon to be released CD Call Up The Devil. The Hook Up played last weekend at The Spoke right here in London....put on a great show for both fans in attendance!!

11. The Dustaphonics...Tura Faster Pussycat...from the soon to be releaseed CD Party Girl on Dirty Water Records. Killer UK combo you're gonna be hearing lots more from on this show. Tura Satana contributed some lyrics for one of the songs on this CD and unfortunatly she passed away not long after this recording.

12. The Honeycombs...Have I The Right...from the Meek And Honey 10".

13. True Confessions....Passion...from their only LP from 1980 on Bomb Records. Outta Toronto and feature at least one former member of The Curse.

14. The Diodes...Cat Walker...from the CD re-issue of Action Reaction on Bongobeat Records.

15. Bishops....Somebody's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In...from the Live 10"...Recorded in 1978 at The Roundhouse in London UK.

16. Frankenstein....Sonic Reducer...from the 10" on Hell Yeah Records, this is the 1975 demo that Frankenstein recorded before renaming themselves The Dead Boys....yep, it's the classic lineup from the very first Dead Boys LP.

17. The Damned...I'm So Bored...from the 10" Lively Arts on Big Beat Records. I hope you weren't bored by this show as we were spinning a lot of 10" records.

18. The Nomads....I Wanna Come Back From The World Of LSD....from the Raw and Rare 10" on Estrus Records.

19. The Turn Ups...Question Of Temperature...from the Turn Up LP from 1980 and goes out to The Flying Squad as they covered this song many years ago.

20. Nomads...ESP...from the Raw and Rare 10" and this is the song i wanted to play above. It's LSD (as written by The Pretty Things) but the lyrics are changed to ESP (Pounds, Shillings, Pence or something like that) that Beaver Patrol recorded in the mid 60's and tried to take the songwriting credits for....Pretty Things recorded it first and The Nomads give the songwriting credits to The Pretty Things as they should!

21. The Deadly Hearts...Moonwalk...from their debut CD and they are from Halifax.

22. The Sadies...Lay Down Your Arms...from The Stories Often Told CD from 2002. The Sadies will be at Call The Office here in London Ontario tomorrow, Sat Dec 3rd.

23. The Sadies...Side Track...from the Rat Fink Soundtrack CD.

24. The Sadies...Leave Me Alone...from In Concert Volume 1 double CD.

25. The Sadies...Black Sheep...from the Rat Fink Soundtrack CD.

26. The Sadies...Lucifer Sam...from In Concert Volume 1 double CD.

27. The Sadies...The North Star...from the Rat Fink Soundtrack CD. A set of Sadies for ya....Canada's greatest unknown musical combo!!

28. The Dark Rags...Such A Little Girl...from their self titled CD...from Greece.

That's a wrap and thanx for all of the phone-ins, emails, facebook messages etc. Back again next week with an all female combo show to commemerate the Montreal Massacre of 1989...CHRW dedicates a full day to this on Tuesday Dec 8th.

Here's the archived show in 3 chunks as we started 1 hour earlier than usual.

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/..94-9CHRWThu1800.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/..94-9CHRWThu1830.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/
      ..94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3

• December 2, 2011 1:57 PM CST
    • Interesting idea! 

• December 2, 2011 1:46 PM CST
    • we're taking out an ad in Record Collector magazine for our next release, just to see what effect it has on orders

they apparently have a 35,000 subscription list

so will hopefully get enough orders to cover the cost :D

• December 2, 2011 11:43 AM CST
    • King Salami & the Cumberland 3 play some killer R&B in the UK!

• December 2, 2011 9:51 AM CST
    • That's cool, thanks.