Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• November 8, 2011 2:49 PM CST
    • IT'S ABOUT FRIGGIN' TIME!!!!!!!!

From http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=46980_0_2_0_C

You read it well. The major labels plan to abandon the CD format by the end of 2012 (or even earlier) and replace it with download/stream-only releases via iTunes and related music services. The only CD formats that will be left over will be the limited edition ones, which will of course not be available for every artist. The distribution model for these remaining CD releases would be primarily Amazon which is already the biggest CD retailer worldwide anyhow.

3 weeks ago we heard it for the first time and since then we have tried getting some feedback from EMI, Universal and Sony. All declined to comment.

The news doesn't come as a surprise to those who have been working in the business. In a piece that was published in a Q&A with the Alfa Matrix people back in June 2011 in the 1st issue of "Matrix Revelations", our chief editor Bernard Van Isacker said the following when asked if a CD would still exist in 5 years: "Yes, but in a different format. Normal CDs will no longer be available because they don't offer enough value, limited editions on the other hand will remain available and in demand for quite a few more years. I for one buy only limited editions because of the added value they offer: a nice design, extra bonus gadgets, etc. The album as we know it now however will be dead within 5 years, if it isn't even sooner. I predict that downloads will have replaced the CD album within the next 2 years. I don't see that as something negative, it just has run its course, let's leave the space to limited editions (including vinyl runs for bigger acts) and downloads instead."

It's a move that makes completely sense. CD's cost money, even when they don't sell because there is stock storage to be paid; a label also pays money to distributors when CDs get returned to the labels when not sold and so on. In short, abandoning the CD-format will make it possible to just focus on the release and the marketing of it and no longer focus on the distribution (since aggregators will do the work as far as dispatching the releases to services worldwide) and - expensive - stock maintenance. In the long run it will most surely mean the end for many music shops worldwide that only stock and sell CD releases. In the UK for instance HMV has problems paying the labels already and more will follow. It makes the distribution of CDs no longer worth it.

Also Amazon will benefit from this as it will surely become the one and only player when it comes to distribution of the remaining CD productions from labels. Packaged next to regular album downloads via its own Amazon MP3 service it will offer a complimentary service.

The next monument to fall? That will be printed magazines as people will want to consume their information online where they also read most of the news.

What are your feelings? is it a move that you like or not?

Update: We were approached by several people working with major labels, who indeed re-confirm that plans do exist to give up the CD. We keep on trying to get an official confirmation, but it seems that the matter is very controversial, especially after Side-Line brought out the story.

• November 7, 2011 8:23 PM CST
    •  Homer Henderson , Bloodshot Bill  , Msr Jefferey Evans (solo) , King Louie ,  Earwig Spectre .....

One WOMAN Bands - Cordell Jackson , Margaret Doll Rod , Honkitonkioke.

One RABBIT bands - NoBunny ,Drum Chicken.

There's others.....I've always been a Hasil Adkins fan , but , I need to step away from his music now and then. We had a One Man Band Festival here , several years ago , and it was amazing how many people could'nt get past aping Hasil.

• November 8, 2011 1:26 PM CST
    • Scientific evidence shows The Sonics version removes more earwax but The Kingsmen erodes more floor wax.  

I gotta say Richard Berry's original will make me shed a tear or two.

• November 8, 2011 11:12 AM CST
    • Well we've got onto a few colleges already, and if all goes well we're gonna be playing on Whatwave Dave's show next month (hell yeah!)

One thing we wanted to do which i've seen some bands do, is sell cassettes. definitely a cool novelty, and I just love cassettes anyway.

• November 7, 2011 1:04 PM CST
    • In my experience, vinyl and T-Shirts go over better than CDs but some kind of swag is critical. 

If you don't have a legit release, make some CDRs of a practice even.  Put those in a paper sleeve with some quick and easy contact info, then encourage / stress everyone to take one maybe a couple of times.  Have a tip bucket next to it and ask people to give what they think is right to help you out.  I've seen this work.

Maybe it won't help you make a profit on the tour but it may help you break even and it will help promote you.

I never thought of this until right now but you might do some research and try contacting a community or college radio station that has a show with a like minded DJ.  Podcasters, too, I guess.

• November 8, 2011 8:33 AM CST
    • The Wedding Present had a Spin off project called Beachbuggy, which was very surf and garage influenced, inspired by Darren Belk's love of American cars and drag racing.

Anyone like anything from Thee Sheffield Phonographic Corporation label?

astralbating said:

Don't care for a lot of the radio stuff but there are some notable groups from around that time/place that I am absolutely in love with:

The Wedding Present

House of Love

Boo Radleys

(already mentioned) Swervedriver

Venus Beads

The Auteurs

Here is a nice cover of Love by the Boo Radleys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc3u4dxx-pI

• November 7, 2011 8:11 PM CST
    • Not much. Elastica's debut , yeah. Saw them when it came out. Did'nt bother when they came back , 5 years later. I did'nt hate 'em  , by then , but the momentum was past. When I did hear their 2nd CD , years later , still , I did'nt get it. I still play the first album once in a while.

• November 7, 2011 3:22 PM CST
    • Don't care for a lot of the radio stuff but there are some notable groups from around that time/place that I am absolutely in love with:

The Wedding Present

House of Love

Boo Radleys

(already mentioned) Swervedriver

Venus Beads

The Auteurs

Here is a nice cover of Love by the Boo Radleys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc3u4dxx-pI

• November 8, 2011 8:31 AM CST
    • Thanks for that link, I'll investigate those pedals.

The Vox amp has a bunch of amp models to choose from, like AC 15, AC 30, Tweed, Blackface, a couple that sound like different Marshalls, etc.  It also has some built-in effects like Reverb, Trem, Rotary Reverb, delay, etc.  It's pretty fun.  It also has knobs for gain, volume, treble, middle and bass.  Right now, I'm cranking up the mid and keeping the bass and treble at about half, with the gain less than half.  I like it but maybe it needs a little something... 

I like the AC30 sound but are garage bands known for playing Tweeds or Blackface amps? I have some options.

Thanks again!

• November 8, 2011 2:21 AM CST
    • North Effects [http://north-effects.co.uk/] do some great repros of 'classic' pedals; check out their site. Are you talking about playing live or recording [or both]? Not familiar with that amp - what does it allow you to do?

Mole

• November 7, 2011 11:42 PM CST
    • i am not a guitarist. gear is fine. playing clean or with overdrive is a matter of taste. if you want the 60's fuzz, try big muff, fuzz face, or go vintage with a classic maestro! as for recording, try to get your sound sources set right, put it in analog with the best mics possible, and dont mess with it too much. but then it is just me ...

• November 7, 2011 4:02 PM CST
    • Hi, folks, I'm new here.  I am starting up a little garage-y type band and I'm trying to get a good clean sound out of my gear.  Something with a little bite, but not too distorted.  Something that sounds a little 60's-ish.  Most importantly, something that won't make the rest of the band continue urging me to turn on the overdrive pedal when I'm playing clean.

Anyway, here's what I'm working with:

I have a Vox modeling amp that I usually set to the AC30 sound.

I have a Danelectro DC, a Paul Westerberg signature First Act guitar, and an Epi Les Paul. 

I also have a Dano overdrive pedal and a Fuzz.  Trying not to spend any more dough on gear at the moment but if anyone has any suggestions for amp/guitar settings, or a cheap pedal or something, that would be most helpful!

Thanks,

Mikey

PS - maybe I should also mention that while I have played guitar for a few years, being the only "lead" guitarist in a band is a whole new deal for me.

• November 8, 2011 3:21 AM CST
    •  

What do you think? The Mentalettes (Obsidians + 3 lead girls)

Egyptian Shumba:

Fine Fine Fine:

• November 8, 2011 2:45 AM CST
    • I guess if 'free speech' is truly free [yeah right!!], then you can't advocate censorship, however distasteful the material may be. Personally I'm not in favour of anything that actively promotes prejudice, but like, I just won't buy it or listen to it. Isn't that the point, that we have a CHOICE? Censorship is someone else's choice, not mine.

• November 7, 2011 9:39 PM CST
    • This is the best thing I've read on the internet today! The Burns is worth looking into too.

Axel Björnsson said:

...You are a Telecasterman or a Stratocasterman I think that is the meaning of life.

• November 7, 2011 9:14 PM CST
    •    It could be that the producers of the film bought the song from a local (Sucker!) band ,  outright , so they could use it in that brief snippet , and not have to pay any royalties.....You never know. If you like mysteries of this nature , see "Targets" , Peter Bogdanovich's first film (I think.) and Boris Karloff's last. It features a great pastiche on no name , never heard of 'em songs like that , emanating from the Charles Whitman - like killer's radio , which great DJ HEP KAT PATTER AND SPLATTER. The songs were all demos donated by Sono Bono of groups he'd worked with or refused on , which meant , if anyone got paid , it was Sonny. Great stuff , tho'.

• November 7, 2011 9:04 PM CST
    •  BUT , WAY THE HELL UP THERE ON THE LIST IS

HERBIE DUNCAN - "HOT LIPS BABY " B/W "LITTLE ANGEL". Some of the wildest Rockabilly , ever. His later tracks vary , and are nearly impossible to find , even on reissues. I only ever heard them because his Daughter had them posted on her My Space.

Glen Goza - Goshamotty Whattabotty

Anything by Charlie Feathers , because if it is'nt wild Rockabilly , it's hard Honkytonk.

Harmonica Frank Floyd - Rockin' Chair Daddy. SUN , 1951 !

Jaybee Wasden - Elvis in The Army b/w De Castro.

Jett Powers (P.J. Proby) Go , Girl , Go.

George Jones - Rock it (Raw as fuck !) .

Sparkle Moore - Skull and Crossbones , Killer , Tiger (Lesser known, for no damned good reason ,  She - Billy.)

Tony Casanova - Yeah ! Yeah ! Come Another Day. (Maximum Mexibilly.)

Nat Couty - Woodpecker Rock , Magic Sam - 21 Days in Jail (Badass Blackabilly.)

• November 7, 2011 8:45 PM CST
    • Sorry to hear that. I only have one original LP , from their John Mayall phase , and a nice bootleg. I was'nt aware , until recently , that Herman Brood was once in that band.

• November 7, 2011 8:43 PM CST
    • I remember seeing that very same LP , when it came out. I asked my friend in the store if he would play a bit of it...I liked it all right , but , not enough to pay $30 for it ! About 8 months ago , I found a burned copy on CD in a thrift store. Seriously. It does sound better at a dollar a throw. Reportedly , the compilation was the work of a former U.S. Serviceman , who'd picked up tapes of various local bands (Which might not have been labelled , either.) when he was stationed in Campuchea/Cambodia. But , who knows ?

• November 7, 2011 8:36 PM CST
    • Just sounds like a massive fuckup , down on the record farm. My copies of #3 and #4 are listed different , and they play the songs listed...But , it could be , that , later on , several copies of #3 were released (By mistake, we presume.)  with the different artwork and a #4 listing. Stranger things have happened. I bought a "Best of Mud" CD with Johnny Hallyday  on it , once. In the early 80's , I bought Joe "King " Carrasco and The Crowns' first (U.S.) album. It had side one on both sides. The record store re- ordered it 3 times . Same thing. They finally gave me store credit ,and let me keep the record. I DO have a "Best of Dusty Springfield " CD that's ALL Black Metal. Have'nt figured out whether to keep it , or use it in a high - concept prank.

• November 7, 2011 6:52 PM CST
    • I just uploaded a few new episodes without breaking anything:

"Episode 71: Hallowhat?" has got Bill from Season of Nightmares, Danny from The TomorrowMen, local burlesque act Aly Hellcat, and a special guest DJ.

"Episode 72: Hot Roddin' Romeos" featured a live set from local band The Hot Roddin' Romeos. They brought their dog to the radio station, too, but I didn't nab any pics. Sorry, animal lovers.

I also put up a pic of another one of those Martha Stewart records at the site. Check it out for some background tunes while you work.

http://www.zorchradio.com