Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• September 29, 2011 2:37 PM CDT
    • Yeah, that Rolling Stones song always make me kinda barf...

It always makes me think it's not in character, but really real life Jagger. 

MikeL said:

How about "Under My Thumb" by the Rolling Stones?  The singer is bragging about his girlfriend's submissiveness, and the line that really gets me is when he sings, "I can still look at someone else."  Yeah, I know it's a mild example, but it's the one that stands out in my mind.

Oh, wait, I just thought of a far more horrible example..."Little Bit of Whore" by Johnny Thunders when he briefly worked with Wayne Kramer.  It's a great rock'n'roll song, but the lyrics can NEVER be heard in mixed company.

• September 29, 2011 8:07 AM CDT
    • My mate, a mad keen record collector, told me this morning that he actually has a Stateside English demo of Spazz which he bought for £50 about 15 years ago, I was shocked that it ever got that close to being released in the UK!

• September 28, 2011 7:43 PM CDT
    • P.S. I forget who did "tHE rODEO sONG" First , but , ANY version you can find for less than a dollar is money well spent.

• September 28, 2011 7:41 PM CDT
    • Jerry Vile, that's goin' back ! I don't have this , or the first volume..Obviously , this was done with the same kind of sarcasm as Snake-Out (Also featured on "It Came FromThe Garage " , as well as The 3 D Invisibles and a then - unknown Gories.) or their myriad offshoots - inc. Artphag , Fuknotz....doing numbers like "I Was a Teenage Goiter" , "Fudgepacker" " (Fuck You , I Ain't ) Ghandi" , "Let's Play Scratch'n'Sniff With Grandpa's Butt" (Actually sung by a group of little kids!) .

Others that come to mind :   The Fugs: CCD (Coca Cola Douche). ,  Raunch Hands "Spit it on The Floor"(About every man's worst nightmare.) , Cub Koda "Somebody Else (Was Suckin' My Dick Last Night)" , Rolling Stones (W/ Andrew Loog Oldham , Gene Pitney , and Phil Spector.) "Andrew's Blues " ( Filthy ! ) , Screamin' Jay Hawkins "Furburger" , and the comparatively tame "Constipation Blues" , Alice Cooper "Dead Babies"  (In hindsight , an anti - drug and child abuse song.) , "I Love The Dead", "Cold Ethyl" , Mentally Ill "Gacy's Place" , Rotters "Sit on My Face , Stevie Nicks" , "The Rodeo Song" (Covered by a billion artists.) , "Sodomy" (From "Hair". Probably covered by tens of artists.) , Treniers "Poon - Tang" , Troggs "Strange Movies" , "Cousin Jane" (We're talking cousins , not siblings , but , it still has a creepy vibe.) , Prince "Sister"  (NOW , we're talking siblings.) Charlie Daniels "Uneasy Rider Pt. 2"  ( Anti - Gay , Anti Punk Rock , you name it.), Cramps "TV Set" ,  Bessie Davis , is it ? NOT Bessie Smith "SHAVE 'EM DRY" . Recorded in the 30's. So filthy , you might need a bath after listening. Blowfly - "Who Did I Eat Last Night?" , "Show me a Man Who Does'nt Want To Fuck Her..."

Andyuzz said:

Spazz is a derogatory term for someone physically disabled (derived from spastic which, unbelievably was an official term until about 15 yrs ago). Spazz was a common shout in the primary school playground, when we had no idea what it meant!

KK Dirty Money said:
      What does Spazz mean in your country? Just wonderin', 'cause I don't know...

Nobody mentioned the Meatmen, so I'll throw that one out there.

Oh, and this one's fun:

• September 28, 2011 6:48 PM CDT
    • And , Native American , as well . In all cases , it was a symbol of life . Hitler had it altered slightly , and it became a symbol of death. I've heard of a "Reclaim The Swastika" movement , to bring it back to what it originally meant.

Chris Henniker said:

I bet those who were shocked were ignorant of the fact it was a Hindu and Bhuddhist religious symbol, originally.

John Battles said:

Mark George ,

I don't think , either , That the Punks in the UK were wearing swastikas as anything more than a shock tactic , not as a show of support for The British Movement , National Front , or individual creeps like Enoch Powell , BUT , Siouxsie really stepped in it when she said "Too Many Jews for my Liking" , regardless of her intentions. I heard that Lydon once said ' We wear them to show that we're obedient members of the British Empire" . I've certainly seen a lot of photos of the fans wearing swastikas , either period pieces , or just drawn on. Of course , Johnny Thunders wore one , at least briefly , with The Dolls , presumably just for camp value . Ron Asheton , we all know about , but he always denied being pro - Nazi. Steve Priest , from The Sweet , too , appeared on TV in Nazi drag , but , it all looked extreme high camp , and , nothing else.  I'm sure it pissed some people off , anyway. They probably did'nt know what to be the most pissed off about !

Mark George Harrison said:

Belsen was exactly that John, Lydon was appalled when the rest of the Pistols re-recorded it with Ronnie Biggs. The swastika was worn by 70s punks in England to shock and not as any political statement. A friend of mine wore one, he was on holiday(Spain I think in 79/80) and was wearing it at dinner, a family were eating their food opposite when the Dad of the family made them spit their food out, my mate realised they were Jewish and had been wrongly given pork. He said that he felt sick and never wore it again, he was wearing it purely as a Pistols fan to look like Sid. Siouxsie wore a lot of swastikas at the time as well although, outside of London, I dont think anybody else really took it up. none of the punks i knew wore it, the gay cowboys t-shirt was the big favourite!

John Battles said:

Johnny , Good ones. Tho' I get the feeling "Belsen" was written with very dry sarcasm as an anti - Nazi /NF song. When Lydon says "JOIN THE ARMY ! BE A MAN !" , then , you can really hear the venom start to boil. Sid took a songrwriting credit , but , Johnny later claimed he let him have it , because he needed the money. Sid got a little TOO into the Swastika bit (Did he ever take that shirt off?), for which he got his ass beat , for wearing said T- Shirt in a Jewish neighborhood. But , while I think Lydon's politics were complex , Sid did'nt really seem to have any. A recent article in "The Chicago Reader" tried to say "Anarchy in The UK" WAS NOT A POLITICAL SONG......HUHN ?!!!!

BTW I'm really not into politics , just citing an example.

Johnny sic said:

"BELSEN WAS A GAS"   SeX PisToLs

"HOMOSEXUAl" Angry Samoans

• September 28, 2011 6:41 PM CDT
    • I bet those who were shocked were ignorant of the fact it was a Hindu and Bhuddhist religious symbol, originally.

John Battles said:

Mark George ,

I don't think , either , That the Punks in the UK were wearing swastikas as anything more than a shock tactic , not as a show of support for The British Movement , National Front , or individual creeps like Enoch Powell , BUT , Siouxsie really stepped in it when she said "Too Many Jews for my Liking" , regardless of her intentions. I heard that Lydon once said ' We wear them to show that we're obedient members of the British Empire" . I've certainly seen a lot of photos of the fans wearing swastikas , either period pieces , or just drawn on. Of course , Johnny Thunders wore one , at least briefly , with The Dolls , presumably just for camp value . Ron Asheton , we all know about , but he always denied being pro - Nazi. Steve Priest , from The Sweet , too , appeared on TV in Nazi drag , but , it all looked extreme high camp , and , nothing else.  I'm sure it pissed some people off , anyway. They probably did'nt know what to be the most pissed off about !

Belsen was exactly that John, Lydon was appalled when the rest of the Pistols re-recorded it with Ronnie Biggs. The swastika was worn by 70s punks in England to shock and not as any political statement. A friend of mine wore one, he was on holiday(Spain I think in 79/80) and was wearing it at dinner, a family were eating their food opposite when the Dad of the family made them spit their food out, my mate realised they were Jewish and had been wrongly given pork. He said that he felt sick and never wore it again, he was wearing it purely as a Pistols fan to look like Sid. Siouxsie wore a lot of swastikas at the time as well although, outside of London, I dont think anybody else really took it up. none of the punks i knew wore it, the gay cowboys t-shirt was the big favourite!

John Battles said:

Johnny , Good ones. Tho' I get the feeling "Belsen" was written with very dry sarcasm as an anti - Nazi /NF song. When Lydon says "JOIN THE ARMY ! BE A MAN !" , then , you can really hear the venom start to boil. Sid took a songrwriting credit , but , Johnny later claimed he let him have it , because he needed the money. Sid got a little TOO into the Swastika bit (Did he ever take that shirt off?), for which he got his ass beat , for wearing said T- Shirt in a Jewish neighborhood. But , while I think Lydon's politics were complex , Sid did'nt really seem to have any. A recent article in "The Chicago Reader" tried to say "Anarchy in The UK" WAS NOT A POLITICAL SONG......HUHN ?!!!!

Johnny sic said:

• September 28, 2011 6:23 PM CDT
    • Mark George ,

John Battles said:

Johnny sic said:

• September 28, 2011 4:01 PM CDT
    • Belsen was exactly that John, Lydon was appalled when the rest of the Pistols re-recorded it with Ronnie Biggs. The swastika was worn by 70s punks in England to shock and not as any political statement. A friend of mine wore one, he was on holiday(Spain I think in 79/80) and was wearing it at dinner, a family were eating their food opposite when the Dad of the family made them spit their food out, my mate realised they were Jewish and had been wrongly given pork. He said that he felt sick and never wore it again, he was wearing it purely as a Pistols fan to look like Sid. Siouxsie wore a lot of swastikas at the time as well although, outside of London, I dont think anybody else really took it up. none of the punks i knew wore it, the gay cowboys t-shirt was the big favourite!

John Battles said:

Johnny sic said:

• September 28, 2011 3:45 PM CDT
    • "Kill The Children, Save The Food" by GG Alin's pure vitriol, but I think it was a sarcastic dig at Live Aid and fashionable causes generally. It's quite Stonesy. I love the Angry Samoans, they're so peurile as well as funny. Listen to the Ballad of Jerry Curlan, which is just pure schoolboy humour. I even wonder why they weren't sued for libel, nor Anal Cunt either?

• September 29, 2011 1:14 PM CDT
    • The Burns Double Six got here yesterday...FINALLY!  It was completely worth the money and the wait.  It plays like a dream and you wouldn't believe the tone through a Vox AC30VR! 

• September 29, 2011 12:03 PM CDT
    • Psychedelic Sounds Of The 13th Floor Elevators

White Light White Heat - Velvet Underground

Unknown Pleasures - Joy Division

Forever Changes - Love

Revolver - Beatles

Intro-Duction To The Motions

Just Earrings - Golden Ear-rings

Ad infinitum...

• September 28, 2011 7:10 PM CDT
    • Strawberry Alarm Clock - Incense and Peppermints/ The World In A Seashell

Byrds - The Notorious Byrd Brothers/Younger Than Yesterday

Gene Clark - Echoes

July - July

Electric Wizard - Come My Fanatics

Man or Astro-Man? Experiment Zero/Destroy All Astro-Men

Singapore Sling - Curse of The Singapore Sling

Meat Puppets - II

Unsane - Scattered, Smothered & Covered

Kyuss- Kyuss & Queens of the stone age/Blues For The Red Sun

Earth - Pentastar: In The Style Of Demons

• September 28, 2011 5:22 PM CDT
    • The Fleshtones.....Roman Gods

The Cramps....Psychedelic Jungle

The Cramps...Songs The Lord Taught Us

Flamin' Groovies....Teenage Head

Gun Club...Fire Of Love

All of the Back From The Grave LP's...ya, they're compilations but they're all killer, no filler!

The Monks...Black Monk Time

Teenage Head...s/t first LP

Jerry Jerry and the Sons Of Rhythm Orchestra.....Battle Hymn Of The Apartment

Zantees...Out For Kicks

Plan 9....Dealing With The Dead

Oblivians....9 Songs With Mr Quintron

and lots of others depending on my mood...

• September 28, 2011 3:39 PM CDT
    • Breeders-Last Splash

Harlem-Free Drugs

Libertines-any

sublime-40 0z to freedom

neutral milk hotel-In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

• September 29, 2011 10:32 AM CDT
    • I have the Marvel Alice Cooper book too... It was wedged in a record collection I bought  a few years back. My copy has some scribbles on it that are supposedly Alice's signature, but I've never bothered figuring out if it was legit or not.

Glad you liked the page!   Michael Neno is one of those "Should be famous" type guys and it has a real honor to have him do my book.  http://www.quackypig.com/

John Battles said:

Ken , wow , this looks great. A bit like Vampirella , when she gets her comeuppance on would - be "She's just a GIRL!" attackers...In the last panel , the Priest looks VERY much like Question Mark. I just saw him two weeks ago , so I remember his visage well. What I could see of it.

Ken said:

Well, and to toot my own horn... Lots of music stuff in my own comic.  Here's  page from my first issue drawn by Michael Neno.  The main character for these stories is a monster hunting "priest" who plays in a rock band and scours seedy bars for creatures of the night.  (I told Michael to borrow from Joey Ramone and Question Mark for the character's general appearance.)

• September 29, 2011 9:20 AM CDT
    • Holy hole in a donut Batman! While I was out fighting crime this thread really boomed! Lot's of secret knowledge here that I will have to peruse! In the meanitime, I saw the recently formed Japanese girl garage/powerpop band The Phantasms cover THE SHAPES' "Batman in the Launderette." Here's the original:

And sticking to punk/powerpop, here's THE TEARJERKERS (from Ireland) who reference Doctor Strange, X-Men, Avengers & Fantastic Four in their song "Comic Book Heroes." Here it is:

• September 28, 2011 4:17 PM CDT
    • Black Lips have 'Spidey's Curse' catchy little song about Peter Parker.

• September 29, 2011 8:32 AM CDT
    • And it's BRILLIANT !!! A real oogah-boogah MASTERPIECE !!! Man, what an adventure !!!

Let's just hope it won't really be the last one...that can't be !

Oh, one last thing, you look so...handsome on this picture below...but...maybe you should have shaved yourself a bit before coming back under the flashing lights of superstardom ...

Cheers !!!

South Bay PORK Podcast said:

New episode posted!

• September 29, 2011 6:02 AM CDT
    • Cool! 

I'm considering getting the new H2n for various reasons (It's black and has a  manual gain control being just two...)

• September 28, 2011 5:38 PM CDT
    • So i went out and bought the Zoom H1....tried it out the other night and after a few glitches (learning curve in a dark, crowded, noisy club...LOL) the recordings came out really good!!! The band was really loud, but i was able to adjust the input levels such that it recorded near perfect...at least for these old ears.

I'll be trying it out again tomorrow night in a different club, different band and see how it turns out...so far it's a great investment for just over $100!!

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h1/

• September 28, 2011 7:34 PM CDT
    • Satan's Pilgrims are good, and I love The Bomboras.  My newest favorite is The Route 66 Killers.

Crimson Ghosts are fun, too.

• September 28, 2011 5:49 PM CDT
    • It sounds a lot like The Stone Roses.

Has anyone mentioned the late Ros Sereysothea, Pan Ron and Sinn Sisamouth. All three were murdered by the Khmer Rouge, which is more tragic because they were so talented (Ros was very pretty too).

http://youtu.be/sKzj5kDOVKswt

said:

I found one of WITCH's songs (it's a Youtube, but video, just music)

NIGHT BEATS said:
      listen to WITCH
      (we intend to cause havoc) 70's zambian rock and roll. amazing

• September 28, 2011 4:18 PM CDT
    • or this

• September 28, 2011 5:28 PM CDT
    • I just saw The Fleshtones 2 nites ago....as always, a KILLER performance by one of my all time fave combos!!! It was their only show for Canada this year, so it was party central at this gig...More pictures on the Radio Whatwave facebook page...

• September 28, 2011 3:15 PM CDT
    • Wow !!! This is something I've been dreaming of for years too but it seems such a pain in the ass !!!

Man, I mean : running this the right way looks like a full time job...and I guess you must be ready to loose hair, sleep and money !!!

But it must be such a great adventure !!!

By the way, if you're looking for djs or anything... ;)