Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• September 26, 2011 6:36 PM CDT
    • i think retarded vinyl lovers as we are don't buy any CD's. I definitly would like to have some Arf Arf comps but i don't like to buy CD's :-)

I think they could definitly sell these comps on vinyl very good. At least i would buy it on vinyl.

Ohh i'll definitly take a closer look to Mr. Williams page now !!!!!

And yes of course i would be glad to listen to MADAME RITARD...

• September 26, 2011 6:18 PM CDT
    • Shall I confess I only buy vinyl too...but still, I have these records somewhere somehow...

About Arf Arf, that's too bad indeed they only release cds. It may have something to do with the expensive cost of pressing vinyls...I don't know...

Anyway, if you already own most of the comps aforementioned, you don't really need the ONLY IN AMERICA cds because they contain many tunes comped elsewhere.

About Mr Williams' page, you do have to dig a bit to find music indeed ! He posts there various kinds of things. Mostly pics of his acrylic portraits, some links to some other blogs and, sometimes, his great comps with his own wonderful artwork ! When you find one, just click on the art, you'll find the link to download.

About MADAME RITARD...since he's done this one a few years ago now, it may be quite hard to find now... Anyway, if you want to get this one the easy way, I could share it with you. Just message me.

Danilo said:

:-) he he, seems i never had a listen to (MADAME RITARD'S HORRORS OF THE WAX MUSEUM & the ARF ARF label compilations) because they are no vinyl records. Always wondering why the ARF ARF label only release CD's and no vinyl.

I know about this flickr page (found it some time ago because of this great pictures) but never was looking for music there. Just had a look again and it seems to be difficult to find any soundfiles or am i just retarded.

Where is the music on this page ? Would love to listen to these compilations !!!

• September 26, 2011 5:39 PM CDT

• The Surfites said:

kopper said:

I've been hunting for the Big Itch Vol. 1 for years. If anyone has it (and can rip some high-quality MP3s of it), please let me know.

It's available again. I got my copy a couple of years ago from Crypt I think.

Some great comps not mentioned yet:

Have the at the party comps too but the others are abolutely new to me - any chance to get soundfiles of these please ?

• September 26, 2011 5:34 PM CDT
    • :-) he he, seems i never had a listen to (MADAME RITARD'S HORRORS OF THE WAX MUSEUM & the ARF ARF label compilations) because they are no vinyl records. Always wondering why the ARF ARF label only release CD's and no vinyl.

I know about this flickr page (found it some time ago because of this great pictures) but never was looking for music there. Just had a look again and it seems to be difficult to find any soundfiles or am i just retarded.

Where is the music on this page ? Would love to listen to these compilations !!!

• September 26, 2011 5:00 PM CDT
    • Oh, nobody has mentioned the ONLY IN AMERICA compilations (on ARF ARF) yet !

• September 26, 2011 4:41 PM CDT
    • Danilo said : "by the way i have all of the records mentioned above expect (MADAME RITARD'S HORRORS OF THE WAX MUSEUM)"

Well, maybe it's because it's not really a record...but a "virtual" compilation made by the great JR Williams !

Check around here and you may find some real real treasures if you dig these kind of comps (and I know you do !) coz the man can't stop making wonderful mp3 compilations !!!

• September 26, 2011 12:13 PM CDT
    • yes there are 3 Volumes:

- Four Hairy Policemen

- For Adult Enthusiasts

- Psycho Serenade

Mark George Harrison said:

didnt realise there are 3 wavy gravys, only ever seen two!

Danilo said:

it's just because of time - try to put 3 LP's on 1 CD- this doesn't work

by the way i have all of the records mentioned above expect (MADAME RITARD'S HORRORS OF THE WAX MUSEUM) - i've ripped most of them to my PC a few years ago - drop me a line if you're interested in complete soundfiles

Real Gone Garbage

Swing for a crime

Wavy Gravy 1,2,3

MADNESS INVASION 1,2,3

Blunderbuss 1,2

Tabu

Weirdsville, Wildsville, Wowsville

Mello Jello

Bent Batty & B'noxious

Cough Syrup For Elvis Impersonators

still missing the Mondo Hysterico comps in this thread - also 3 volumes but only have Vol.3 on Vinyl and Vol.1+2 on PC

Frolic Diner (6 Volumes) very close to Las Vegas Grind comps

Big Itch Vol.1-8 are very nice too

and don't forget about the Bug Out Vol.1-3

Lavender Jungle

whoohhaaa so many great music - should be a nearly complete list of everything weird :-)

or did i forget something

• September 26, 2011 8:31 AM CDT
    • didnt realise there are 3 wavy gravys, only ever seen two!

Danilo said:

it's just because of time - try to put 3 LP's on 1 CD- this doesn't work

by the way i have all of the records mentioned above expect (MADAME RITARD'S HORRORS OF THE WAX MUSEUM) - i've ripped most of them to my PC a few years ago - drop me a line if you're interested in complete soundfiles

Real Gone Garbage

Swing for a crime

Wavy Gravy 1,2,3

MADNESS INVASION 1,2,3

Blunderbuss 1,2

Tabu

Weirdsville, Wildsville, Wowsville

Mello Jello

Bent Batty & B'noxious

Cough Syrup For Elvis Impersonators

still missing the Mondo Hysterico comps in this thread - also 3 volumes but only have Vol.3 on Vinyl and Vol.1+2 on PC

Frolic Diner (6 Volumes) very close to Las Vegas Grind comps

Big Itch Vol.1-8 are very nice too

and don't forget about the Bug Out Vol.1-3

Lavender Jungle

whoohhaaa so many great music - should be a nearly complete list of everything weird :-)

or did i forget something

• September 26, 2011 6:31 PM CDT
    • slsknet.org is great if you have a P.C. There is also a garagepunk.com chat room on there.

I use it for rare, live bootlegs, & out of print stuff.

I can see why people are getting in a twist about downloading as it doesn't support the artist. But nether does buying used lp's & cd's.

Billy

• September 26, 2011 4:01 PM CDT
    • just use spotify/last fm/myspace to listen to the bands for free then buy what you like.

No torrent sites tho!!!

and i agree emusic is great! especially if y skint

• September 26, 2011 10:46 AM CDT
    • Listen the numerous and wonderful podcasts featured on this very site.

• September 26, 2011 9:03 AM CDT
    • I like eMusic a lot. Early on their downloads were pretty low bitrate, like 128 kbps. But lately I've noticed that most if not all of the stuff I've downloaded have been of much higher quality, like 256k or better. And the selection is pretty decent. Even smaller indie labels will distribute their stuff there. Not all, of course, but a lot. The thing I like best about it is that most albums are only $5.99 or so. That's damned cheap. Individual songs range from $.49 to $.79 each. I actually use it a lot to buy digital downloads of stuff that I have on vinyl (or used to have years ago but lost or sold when I was needing cash) just so I can have the MP3s to stick on my iPod. It's too much of a pain in the ass to rip MP3s of vinyl. If you'd like to try it out and want $10 free credit, click here. Cheers!

Hear Hear! agree with both, couldnt think of anything worse than having a load of pirate copies and not the real thing. wheres the fun in that. I have a Spotify account and I use that to try out a lot of different stuff, I still go out and buy it afterwards! It would also annoy me if a mate kept asking for copies of albums too, Ive spent years collecting and spent a shitload of money so why should I give a free copy to someone else? and is youre really in to a band then wouldnt you want to own all that you could?I have downloaded things before, years ago as theres too many viruses on these sites today, and still gone out and bought the original. sorry to sound pissy but, as Kopper said, its a touchy subject.

Whats emusic like Kopper? is it worth a look??

• September 26, 2011 8:49 AM CDT
    • Hear Hear! agree with both, couldnt think of anything worse than having a load of pirate copies and not the real thing. wheres the fun in that. I have a Spotify account and I use that to try out a lot of different stuff, I still go out and buy it afterwards! It would also annoy me if a mate kept asking for copies of albums too, Ive spent years collecting and spent a shitload of money so why should I give a free copy to someone else? and is youre really in to a band then wouldnt you want to own all that you could?I have downloaded things before, years ago as theres too many viruses on these sites today, and still gone out and bought the original. sorry to sound pissy but, as Kopper said, its a touchy subject.

Whats emusic like Kopper? is it worth a look??

• September 26, 2011 8:09 AM CDT
    • This is a very touch subject, Julia. Obviously everyone likes free stuff, but if the bands or labels themselves are not offering their music for free, then you shouldn't try to find free downloads of it. My rule of thumb is as long as something's not out of print, then I'll try to find it and buy it first. I'll either buy a hardcopy of it (vinyl or CD), or I'll try to find it on Amazon.com, eMusic, iTunes, etc. (I have an account on eMusic myself and use it every month... that's my monthly budget for downloads). There are also excellent online stores where you can shop for tons of this stuff. Norton Records, Crypt Records, Dionysus, Sundazed, Bomp/AIP Records, Get Hip, Midheaven, In the Red Records, Goner, etc. all have ways to order their stuff online. Google them. Support them. Order from them. Without these people doing what they do, we'd all be fucked. These are good people with legitimate businesses offering products that all of us want. The least we can do is save up and buy from them as often as we can.

Torrent sites are also monitored very closely today by ISPs, and if you visit one enough or download a lot of stuff from them, you may get busted by either having your Internet service account yanked, or worse (the RIAA has issued huge fines for pirating music in recent years). Just a fair warning.

• September 26, 2011 5:56 PM CDT
    • This might not be exactly what you're looking for, as these guys are very recent (split up in 2006), but look up The Fog Band. Very R&B based, but also very garage influenced mod revivalists. Their lead singer, Bobby Grindrod, went on the form the Soul/indie band, Friends of The Bride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3x38ldApcA

• September 26, 2011 2:58 PM CDT
    • rockhouseally , I think I replied to you , when I meant to reply  to Mina. But , it's all the same. I remember when almost nobody I knew was into this stuff. In my last semester of College , I was meeting people that were into Pych and Garage, BUT , NONE OF THEM WERE STARTING BANDS , OR , IF THEY DID , NOT IN THAT VEIN , Notable exceptions being Lithium Xmas and Peyote Cowboys , both more Psych than Garage. There was another band , in Dallas , called The Shitty Beatles (The originals and still champs.) . They did some of the "Nuggets" songs  , as well as "Psycho" by The Sonics . But , they were in their mid 30's , had nerdy glasses (THEN , punishable by The Fashion Police.) , not skinny with Led Zeppeliney hair , so , they never caught on with the burgeoning , ageist , Deep Ellum music scene at the time. Even Reverend Horton Heat had to work shit - hard to win over the younger crowd , because he was (Ulp !) 27 years old !!!!!!!

John Battles said:

Mina - Well , remember , it's your music , too.     I have seen people become alienated by their own local music scenes. But  there WAS no Garage scene where I lived when I started getting into this stuff. When I moved to Chicago , I knew about 3 people that were real devotees. Not enough to call it a "Scene" HA HA.

rockhousesally said:
      I know, it's crazy that even found this site. I always thought this music was too far out there for me, but I hadn't really listened to it. Only judged the oddness of the scene that I had observed out here in San Diego. It just seemed so obscure and a little pompous really. But after discovering The Sonics I just couldn't deny that sound. It is so fucking punk rock! Thank you all for being welcoming and teaching me about your music. I'm really enjoying sampling all of your picks!

dont forget 'the action', 'the attack' early Chris farlowe and even the Small Faces.

Freakbeat was a weird genre that only really lasted through 1966, a stranger r and b and a pre-cursor of psych.

on cd theres also 'the freakbeat scene' on Deram and 'freakbeat freakout' on Sequel.

How I envy you discovering all these bands for the first time! and the beauty of a site like this is all the knowledge that you can tap!

• September 26, 2011 2:42 PM CDT
    • Mark George , I can't believe just HOW underrated The Troggs still are , they're all across the board. The "Archaeology" set bears this out. I had the good fortune of seeing them live , and meeting them , one time. They were the coolest , friendliest ,AND most hilarious people you could wish to meet. If they're playing within 200 miles of your home , yeah , you should.       The Equals , there's another band that's covered more styles than a band should have a right to , and still come out on top , as they did. You can buy a 25 , or even 50 track  set of either band's original recordings , and find yourself liking all , or nearly all of it. 

JB completely agree, The Troggs did some awesome stuff but seem consigned to being known as a novelty pop act cos of 'wild thing'. Shame really as other songs like 'our love will still be there' and 'lost little girl' are as good as anything of the time.

the equals should be in everyones collection and yet very few people know anything about them. even the detroit cobras did an Equals cover. And they were one of the first multi-racial Brit bands as well.

Whilst on the RnB vibe then of course theres all the Pebbles, Back from the Graves etc etc etc...........where does it end??

hope youve got an inheritance to spend Sally!

• September 26, 2011 2:14 PM CDT
    • Mina - Well , remember , it's your music , too.     I have seen people become alienated by their own local music scenes. But  there WAS no Garage scene where I lived when I started getting into this stuff. When I moved to Chicago , I knew about 3 people that were real devotees. Not enough to call it a "Scene" HA HA.

rockhousesally said:

I know, it's crazy that even found this site. I always thought this music was too far out there for me, but I hadn't really listened to it. Only judged the oddness of the scene that I had observed out here in San Diego. It just seemed so obscure and a little pompous really. But after discovering The Sonics I just couldn't deny that sound. It is so fucking punk rock! Thank you all for being welcoming and teaching me about your music. I'm really enjoying sampling all of your picks!

dont forget 'the action', 'the attack' early Chris farlowe and even the Small Faces.

Freakbeat was a weird genre that only really lasted through 1966, a stranger r and b and a pre-cursor of psych.

on cd theres also 'the freakbeat scene' on Deram and 'freakbeat freakout' on Sequel.

How I envy you discovering all these bands for the first time! and the beauty of a site like this is all the knowledge that you can tap!

• September 26, 2011 4:30 PM CDT
    • Mambo Taxi and the Inspiral Carpets were influenced a lot by 60's garage.  

• September 26, 2011 12:42 PM CDT
    • Swervedriver, Slowdive, The WonderStuff... all good.

• September 26, 2011 3:34 PM CDT
    • cant belive i forgot that :(

• September 26, 2011 3:28 PM CDT
    • i think its clever buty know ill stick with my tuner as my ear tuning is awful , but i do leave it a bit out of tune so its not irritating but just a few strings a tenny bit out

• September 26, 2011 2:09 PM CDT
    • No , I think it's interesting. The 3-D iNVISIBLES from Detroit have been recording and performing Horror -Garage songs for well over 25 years. Later on , they did a block of superhero songs , too , which are all great.    

Jonathan Brandon Sawyer said:

This thread is right up my alley.

Horse The Band - The Red Tornado:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQlobg7r7Co
      Horse The Band - A Million Exploding Suns (about Marvel's The Sentry): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMN9eDpFFe0

And being a huge comic fan myself, all of my bands have written songs about comics. Here is one from my current band.

Mind Powers - Where Is The Laser? Ask The Police! (A song about Hank Pym creating Ultron...the title is a reference to the infamous poorly translated line Ultron utters in the Captain America and The Avengers arcade game):  http://soundcloud.com/mindpowers/05-where-is-the-laser-ask-the

We also have a currently unrecorded song called Space Widow that makes references to Ego the Living Planet, the Green Lantern Mogo, the Negative Zone, and the Phantom Zone.

The lyrics of two of my former bands, Manchester Black and Gamera! The Invincible, were almost solely about comics. We had songs about The Hulk, Spider-Man, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Green Lantern's destruction of Coast City, etc. If anyone is interested I will post the EPs on here but I don't want to blow this thread up with self-promotion if you guys don't want it, haha.

• September 26, 2011 4:58 AM CDT
    • This is rarly a COOL CLUB, I can't see bitch threads on the big bands, where everyone whines about how shit the WHITE STRIPES are - sure you'll always find someone hating but there's better things to do here.

Like others said, I'm here for the music and the weirdness and richness of the sound presented here. Richness also meaning that I discover new shit EVERY DAY. NEW includes me NOT KNOWING a goddamn thing about the band I just heard off. I'm glad that this is overflowing with sounds. It's not elite, it's just goddamn small. On top of this discussion on what is actually a trend that's going on for quite some time, there's actually a lot happening:

Would you think that a community getting out the HIDEOUT COMPs for NILL and some easy money on the stores as ignorant of the world?

Ever listened to a podcast? I never heard anything but enthusiastic presentation of bands, often with their cooperation.

Blaine said:

Most of these posts read like elite assholes.  Annoyed because people don't know as much about music as you do?  That's childish.  I hope, out of spite, garage becomes more mainstream and ruins your little cool club.