Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• September 21, 2011 8:56 PM CDT
    • Shannon & the Clams, Personal & the Pizzas, the Buff Medways, the Cynics, the Night Howls, King Khan, and the Chatham Singers.

• September 21, 2011 5:04 PM CDT
    • yes!!

Deejay Cheeky Tiki said:

Bloodshot Bill and all his side projects, like the Ding-Dongs (with Mark Sultan aka BBQ), Tandoori Knights (with King Khan), Mark Sultan.

If if you have the chance to see him live, he is the true spirit of rock n roll!

Cheers!

• September 21, 2011 1:23 PM CDT
    • Bloodshot Bill and all his side projects, like the Ding-Dongs (with Mark Sultan aka BBQ), Tandoori Knights (with King Khan), Mark Sultan.

If if you have the chance to see him live, he is the true spirit of rock n roll!

Cheers!

• September 21, 2011 1:16 PM CDT
    • I'm putting on a gig for The Len Price 3 in London on October 14th, absolutely mind blowing live act with three great albums out, certainly one of my favourite current garage pop mod whatever you wanna call it bands...!

Check out two videos here:

http://youtu.be/gIL8IhIngEM

http://youtu.be/-AT4H7cix_E

• September 21, 2011 8:54 PM CDT
    • Lemon Demon.

• September 21, 2011 5:09 PM CDT
    • ben prestage

• September 21, 2011 1:56 PM CDT
    • Bloodshot Bill, and BBQ (Mark Sultan) both from Montréal and awesome performers!!

• September 21, 2011 6:31 PM CDT
    • Thanks for the tip, Kopper. I'm a little short on computer skills & even less patient. That would have been my next move but my man Frank N. Stroud solved the mystery. Keep up the good work.

kopper said:

OK, first of all, you should probably post this in the Destroy All Music group forum. I'm not sure why you posted it in this regional forum, other than the fact that you might think the band may be from a Midwestern town, but then again you didn't mention that in your post, so who knows! So yeah, post this in that other group (esp. since it's probably an '80s hardcore band, anyway). A lot more members there and people who may be able to help you out.

By the way, if you really want to find out who did the song, rip an MP3 of it and upload it to your profile or attach it to your topic. That way people can actually HEAR the song. It's quite easy these days to take a simple mini plug and run it from a cassette deck into a computer with Audacity (PC) or GarageBand (Mac) and do a digital recording, then export the file as an MP3.

• September 21, 2011 6:27 PM CDT
    • YES! Many thanks, Frank. I have to confess I never would have figured that out. The name of the song is "Indian Eyes" (found it on Youtube). I've never heard of the band. Seems that there are a few songs on the tape by Uniform Choice including "Don't Quit" & "Cut Of A Different Cause". Damn I love this site!

Frank N. Stroud said:

Hey M'Man,

I think it's Uniform Choice off of Region Of Ice. Look that up and see if it isn't a match for you.

Cheers,

FNS

Funhouse Skull said:

I had to hunt the tape down & blow the dust off (these Maxell metal tapes are amazingly enduring) I'm having a hard time making out certain parts, but some of the lyrics are:

I remember never letting pain remain

forever lost, falling pieces of a fallen man

for me & then it comes.

It happened so long ago, below my clear sight

Broken pieces of a broken heart as autumn fades to white.

Still a chill in the air, broken skies are everywhere

But I can't complain. The cold keeps out the rain.

Gotta fight a fire from a spark inside my mind.

Can't seem to learn the dreams that seem to burn.

Looking back to the forests & fields again

I'd make you understand if I could only dreams remain where I stood.

There's more, I'm just not sure how much stopping, rewinding & playing a 20 year old cassette tape will tolerate. Again, I'm fairly certain I have some of these wrong, but it's the best I can decipher.I guess my next move is to figure out how to turn a track from a cassette into a file that I can upload to my playlist.

Frank N. Stroud said:

Got any more lyrics?..........this is tantalizing.

• September 21, 2011 11:30 AM CDT
    • Hey M'Man,

I think it's Uniform Choice off of Region Of Ice. Look that up and see if it isn't a match for you.

Cheers,

FNS

Funhouse Skull said:

I had to hunt the tape down & blow the dust off (these Maxell metal tapes are amazingly enduring) I'm having a hard time making out certain parts, but some of the lyrics are:

I remember never letting pain remain

forever lost, falling pieces of a fallen man

for me & then it comes.

It happened so long ago, below my clear sight

Broken pieces of a broken heart as autumn fades to white.

Still a chill in the air, broken skies are everywhere

But I can't complain. The cold keeps out the rain.

Gotta fight a fire from a spark inside my mind.

Can't seem to learn the dreams that seem to burn.

Looking back to the forests & fields again

I'd make you understand if I could only dreams remain where I stood.

There's more, I'm just not sure how much stopping, rewinding & playing a 20 year old cassette tape will tolerate. Again, I'm fairly certain I have some of these wrong, but it's the best I can decipher.I guess my next move is to figure out how to turn a track from a cassette into a file that I can upload to my playlist.

Frank N. Stroud said:

Got any more lyrics?..........this is tantalizing.

• September 21, 2011 2:53 PM CDT
    • If nothing else, he is a great performer.

Brother Panti-Christ said:

I saw him play with the E Street Band in 1981. Though I wasn't much of fan of his, this show knocked me on my ass. 5 1/2 hours performance, the band smoked, so did he. Still never bought any records of his since then but he'll always be dear to my heart.

• September 21, 2011 1:45 PM CDT
    • Wow maybe I am old, but for me when around 6 or 7, my father gave me a pile of 78 to play on my little toy record player, saying those one were mine (because he didn't about old RnR). I played them a lot, but he one that hook me on music, garage or not, was Little Richard "Keep A-knockin' ". Everything in that song was, for a young who couldn't understand english, totally insane. The beat, the voice, the energy, it puts a mark on my soul. Music can be totally out of control. Next time, the other song to have such an impact one me was the Ramones "Blitzkrieg Bop" at 11.  That was it, at this age I have decided I will never follow mainstream boring music. Still on the same path since then.

• September 21, 2011 1:40 PM CDT
    • The mainstream music media have been heralding a ‘garage rock revival’ every other year for about the last 30 odd years. If it encourages a few people to explore the genre and get listening to good music then I’m all for it (it certainly worked on me…), but it’s almost always a pretty spurious link. It takes more than owning a Vox Phantom and a pair of winkle-pickers to make a garage band.

• September 21, 2011 1:34 PM CDT
    • The "garage" label is trendy these days. It's sad but that's way the way media work when something sound cool and new. Like punk was kind of cool until you see it hitting the fashion runway.

Bands and musicians can say whatever they want about their music, how garage it is, in the end it is the listener to decide if it is good or not.

Any tag put to music will change the way I feel about music, I like trashy, dirty and crazy, that 's all, if something can fit in it, that's good to me.

Cheers!

• September 21, 2011 1:19 PM CDT
    • That is a GREAT point Rob! There is definitely an element of danger missing in a great deal of music today. Lux from The Cramps had a lot to say about that i.e. Rock shouldn't be safe! It's about rebellion and fun with risks. That's waht we get stuck with when bands try to please everyone and don't want to "offend" anyone. I say "Offend away, Offendi!" that's what rock, garage, and punk are all about. If bands are afraid to be dangerous or offensive, they should go sing lullabies to babies or campfire songs to Boy Scouts.

Rob Wright said:

The thing I can't down with in regards to the new crop of 'garage' bands is they are all so fucking wimpy!  Where's the danger, the excitement, the punk rock?  I like psych, and I like some stoner-y kinda stuff too, but I need some energy and passion and spite and hate in my rocknroll to really get me going.  I rarely feel an element of danger bands live shows these days, it's either straight up 'bug' music (see: The Flintstones) or it's just so wimpy that I can't get behind it.  I don't need a GG Allin show, but c'mon, make me feel like I might get hurt if I get a little too close to the stage, y'know?!  GIMME DANGER LITTLE STRANGER

• September 21, 2011 12:33 PM CDT
    • Two more: The (Dutch) Outsiders and Q65:

• September 21, 2011 12:27 PM CDT
    • The Birds and The Sorrows, definitely. Good calls, Dead Boy.

The Birds reminded me of another modern band she should check into, too, the Embrooks (probably because they cover "Say Those Magic Words"). Here's another good one:

• September 21, 2011 11:58 AM CDT
    • I actually haven't heard a lot of the Animal's tunes, but how about the Sorrows;

the Troggs;

(Hmm,) the Creation;

except the Pretties and the Yardbirds?

Also I haven't heard a lot of tunes of these bands, but how about the Artwoods;

the Birds;

the Wimple Witch;

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers?

> what is the name of that specific genre?

It's British Beat (or Merseybeat).

"Then, Now and Rare British Beat 1960-1969", this book may be good to you.(?)

You konw this version, right?

• September 21, 2011 9:32 AM CDT
    • I don't know if you can still get the "Mojo Workout" double CD by Paul Revere & the Raiders, but if you can find it anywhere, GET IT. It was released on Sundazed Records 10 or 11 years ago, but I couldn't find it on their site so it might be OOP. It's one of thee most amazing early '60s live recordings I've ever heard (that one and The Shadows of Knight "Raw 'n' Alive at the Cellar").

One more: Chants R&B "Stage Door Witchdoctors" on Bacchus Archives. You won't be sorry.

• September 21, 2011 9:22 AM CDT
    • Hmmm... I don't think the Monks fall in the same sound category as the Animals. The Monks really defy categorization, though. They had a lead BANJO player, fer cryin' out loud. Very unique (but great!) sound. They were sorta like the anti-Beatles. But yeah, the Pretty Things, Remains, and Yardbirds, definitely. The Who had much more of a mod sound that incorporated rhythm & blues (like so many other '60s bands). A lot of the other freakbeat stuff from England in the early- to mid-'60s is worth looking for, too, like the "English Freakbeat" comp series on Bomp/AIP (there's another comp series along the same lines but the name is escaping me at the moment). You should also check out early Stones if you haven't already, as well as the Kinks, Shadows of Knight, Dave Clark Five, and hell, Paul Revere & the Raiders for that matter. I'd also recommend the Flamin Groovies. You should check out a San Diego-based band from the '80s called The Crawdaddys (on Bomp), The Tell-Tale Hearts, Poison 13 from Texas, a Swedish '80s band called The Creeps, and one from late '70s Minneapolis called the Hypstrz (look for their live album... AMAZING). Another no-brainer for the '80s: The Gories. And for more modern stuff with bluesy/R&B leanings, I'd recommend The Greenhornes, The Mystery Girls, The Dirtbombs, Detroit Cobras, Reigning Sound, Compulsive Gamblers, Mr. Airplane Man, The Deadly Snakes, Lord High Fixers, the Woggles, Fleshtones, Chesterfield Kings, etc.

• September 21, 2011 11:40 AM CDT
    • Wow, I never thought of GG Allin in terms of power pop, but I'm amazed at how well it fits now that I'm looking at his music through that filter. It's easy to label him as punk because of the lyrics, leather, blahblahblah, but the MUSIC is totally power pop. Honestly, my mind is pretty blown right now.

Also, in response to the original post- you should watch the documentary Hated. It's good, plus it him playing this, one of my favorite songs of all time-

Chris Henniker said:

GG's early stuff is the sort I can take to any indie disco and people'll cut a rug to it. It's just good power pop, simple as that. Some of it's even quite humourous. Gimme Some Head and Assface make me laugh, just for their utter ridiculousness.

The later stuff is so bad it's good, just for its gonzo comedy value.

• September 21, 2011 8:49 AM CDT
    • Oops, I was forgetting that those "Locked in to Surf" comps are out of print. :(  I found MP 3 samples at Amazon.

CD's Vol.2

"16 Black To Fade - Eigth Ball Scratch"

CD's Vol. 1 and 2 include (I think) all tunes of LP's Vol. 1, 2 and 3.

Some sellers sell LP's the Discogs now, but the prices...

stiv rippengal said:

that's gonna be the hard part :(

• September 21, 2011 8:28 AM CDT
    • Picked up an album of theirs years ago...  Dang now I feel like listenin to it... I'll have to dig thru some boxes to find it tho....

kopper said:

WHAT?!?!?!!!

Mina said:
      Never heard of them... I'll look some of their stuff up. :)