Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• September 23, 2011 7:52 AM CDT
    • No, both the Weeds and Lollipop Shoppe are '60s bands. Not sure which one you looked up on Wikipedia for that bit of (incorrect) info, but I wouldn't rely on it that much.

Fred Cole, who was in both those bands, is still active these days. He and his wife, Toody, were in Dead Moon and have a band called the Pierced Arrows these days. Very cool, unique bands. Not for everybody, though.

rockhousesally said:

Thanks for the video. I just looked them up on Wikipedia and was shocked to see that they came out in 1986! That sound is so typical of the 60's though. Very cool that they could capture that feeling :) thanks...

stiv rippengal said:

would the weeds/lollipop shoppe fall into this category?? regardless, they are awesome...was going to try putting a video in but dunno how to, check them out anyway if you haven't heard them!

• September 22, 2011 12:02 PM CDT
    • Click the "Media" button (third one from the left) when you go to post your message and paste in the embed code from YouTube or wherever.

stiv rippengal said:

would the weeds/lollipop shoppe fall into this category?? regardless, they are awesome...was going to try putting a video in but dunno how to, check them out anyway if you haven't heard them!

• September 23, 2011 6:34 AM CDT
    •  

I think it is no way to rock harder...

• September 22, 2011 9:44 AM CDT
    • We always open our set with one of our own instrumentals. We only play one cover song per show, and it's always the last song we play. Each show we try to go with a different song, usually a '60s garage track like The Sorrows "No No No No" or 13th Floor Elevators "You're Gonna Miss Me."

• September 22, 2011 9:38 AM CDT
    • not "garage rock" per se, but how about covering this one?

• September 23, 2011 2:11 AM CDT
    • Thee Manipulators!

• September 23, 2011 12:46 AM CDT
    • Besides the other mentioned this year i like the s/t Night Beats and Davila 666 Tan Bajo.

• September 22, 2011 3:09 AM CDT
    • THE SEE SEE

• September 22, 2011 3:06 AM CDT
    • I discovered this HUGE band on last.fm....very cool sound indeed....the world needs LP3:):)!!!!

Steve Worrall said:

I'm putting on a gig for The Len Price 3 in London on October 14th, absolutely mind blowing live act with three great albums out, certainly one of my favourite current garage pop mod whatever you wanna call it bands...!

Check out two videos here:

http://youtu.be/gIL8IhIngEM

http://youtu.be/-AT4H7cix_E

• September 23, 2011 2:48 AM CDT
    • I'm owner of an Ashbass Fuzzbrite (for more than four years) and I'm absolutely happy and love its sound. I didn't try any other than a Big Muff with my gear, though.

The customer support sucked at its time, when it came it didn't work and I had to fix it. It was a welding (and it meant 30 € extra). They never answered.

Mosrite Fuzzrite vs Ashbass Fuzzbrite on Youtube (lots of tests there)

PD: BTW, not really a musician, just a chord bad player but a fan.

• September 23, 2011 2:11 AM CDT
    • Hey Dave, you'd have to ask Rob Wright from NoMeansNo, I'm not him!  Cheers, Rob

dave machine said:

Garage sure isn't trendy in northern British Columbia, which is why bands can't be dangerous up here. It's hard enough getting gigs at the northern folk festivals (and we do like playing them, it's all we have, plus it's a good way to get in free to a three day party). Bands are thrown out for being too rock and roll, sad but true. So no swearing at the audience or spitting whiskey on them - just ask a band called the Turncoats about their Kispiox experience.

I'm curious to know how NoMeansNo did at Atlin or Dawson City a couple years back? (sorry I didn't make it, it's still two days driving north of here) I used to love seeing NoMeansNo and never felt in danger near the stage. Moshing used to be a lot less violent than it is now, and it was fun. Rock and roll should be fun. I totally agree that passion and energy are often lacking, and are a requirement. But after our first gig a few years ago where we almost got into fights with local rednecks at the local pub, we decided that isn't the way to go for rockers in their 30s and 40s. Passion and energy can just mean a good fucking time is had by all.

• September 21, 2011 10:51 PM CDT
    • Garage sure isn't trendy in northern British Columbia, which is why bands can't be dangerous up here. It's hard enough getting gigs at the northern folk festivals (and we do like playing them, it's all we have, plus it's a good way to get in free to a three day party). Bands are thrown out for being too rock and roll, sad but true. So no swearing at the audience or spitting whiskey on them - just ask a band called the Turncoats about their Kispiox experience.

I'm curious to know how NoMeansNo did at Atlin or Dawson City a couple years back? (sorry I didn't make it, it's still two days driving north of here) I used to love seeing NoMeansNo and never felt in danger near the stage. Moshing used to be a lot less violent than it is now, and it was fun. Rock and roll should be fun. I totally agree that passion and energy are often lacking, and are a requirement. But after our first gig a few years ago where we almost got into fights with local rednecks at the local pub, we decided that isn't the way to go for rockers in their 30s and 40s. Passion and energy can just mean a good fucking time is had by all.
      Rob Wright said:

The thing I can't down with in regards to the new crop of 'garage' bands is they are all so fucking wimpy!  Where's the danger, the excitement, the punk rock?  I like psych, and I like some stoner-y kinda stuff too, but I need some energy and passion and spite and hate in my rocknroll to really get me going.  I rarely feel an element of danger bands live shows these days, it's either straight up 'bug' music (see: The Flintstones) or it's just so wimpy that I can't get behind it.  I don't need a GG Allin show, but c'mon, make me feel like I might get hurt if I get a little too close to the stage, y'know?!  GIMME DANGER LITTLE STRANGER

• September 22, 2011 9:25 PM CDT
    • Punk Blues Dead!!!! Damn Kopper, I guess the timing of the show was bad...send me your punk blues boys and girls..lets keep this shit going

• September 22, 2011 2:11 PM CDT
    • OK. Live rehearsal; sounds like you'll probably need to treat that room.. especially in the immediate vicinity of your drum set.  This will undoubtedly tame those high frequencies, and maybe save you the expense of a new set of cymbals ;)...

You might also ease up on distortion levels on both guitar and (especially!) vocals... this can always be applied afterwards – in a more "controlled" manner.

Also: try isolating drums-guitar-vocals as best you can when recording live... build some "goboes", use carpets across backs of chairs, hang up blankets – whatever you can think of that might help separate the three... 

:) If you could give me some more info on your session set-up I could probably be more specific.

e.

stiv rippengal said:

the cymbals i have are sabian xs20, which i was led to believe were reasonably good, they have been bashed about a bit so you never know, may finally be time to cough up and get some new ones!

as you said, as a live rehearsal recording the sound was alright, but for anything more than a demo we were thinking of trying to be a little more 'pro' (not the right word at all but i guess you know what i mean...)

dublÉ said:

Not necessarily just a placement issue!.. crap cymbals can be a pain to sort out in a mix, so a better set might be a good investment.

e

stiv rippengal said:

haha yeah i suppose so...it's mainly the cymbals that are all just turning into a mush but i guess that's all down to mic positioning?? won't be going 'hi fi' any time soon though lol

• September 22, 2011 12:51 PM CDT
    • Not necessarily just a placement issue!.. crap cymbals can be a pain to sort out in a mix, so a better set might be a good investment.

e

stiv rippengal said:

haha yeah i suppose so...it's mainly the cymbals that are all just turning into a mush but i guess that's all down to mic positioning?? won't be going 'hi fi' any time soon though lol

• September 22, 2011 11:55 AM CDT
    • Off the bat I would have to say that this sounds very much like a recorded rehearsal, and as such it doesn't sound half bad! :)...  Anyway: In general, muddiness will indicate that you want less of something (certain frequencies, compression, and so on...) but it would be helpful to have some session details... i.e. how many tracks, recording equipment, microphone placement on drums, any effects, etc. etc.... 

Without this information it's hard to say if there is a fix or if you have to do another take.

e

• September 22, 2011 8:37 AM CDT
    • Why do you want it to sound less muddy?

Isn't that the whole point of a two piece band?

• September 22, 2011 8:28 AM CDT
    • hey there, would any of you guys with recording experience be able to clue me up on the best way to make this -

http://soundcloud.com/sonbelly

- sound a little less muddy??

i imagine i'd be a) don't play as loud, b) buy better mics etc, but thought i'd ask anyways...look forward to hearing any feedback!

• September 22, 2011 12:16 PM CDT
    • If anyone/ group of people is coming into town for this event and is looking for a cheaper alternative to a hotel- please consider my Bed & Breakfast

http://www.theisabellaatditmaspark.com/

It's about a 10 minute drive to the Bell House on the other side of Prospect Park. We are opening in Mid-October.

• September 22, 2011 8:12 AM CDT
    • I saw that Todd Phillips was interviewed in Bizarre about the documentary. He even said that Allin would have loved Road Trip, so I bet he would have loved Bad Taste and Meet The Feebles by Peter Jackson.

Let's face it, Allin was just a poor man's Alice Cooper. 

Dave r said:

check out the doco- "hated" (its made by todd phillips who went on to film "old school" and a few of those comedy movies with will farrel) its not bad... the guy was a piece of shit, but an interesting piece of shit i guess... i like bite it you scum, catchy song....

• September 22, 2011 7:53 AM CDT
    • check out the doco- "hated" (its made by todd phillips who went on to film "old school" and a few of those comedy movies with will farrel) its not bad... the guy was a piece of shit, but an interesting piece of shit i guess... i like bite it you scum, catchy song....

• September 22, 2011 12:17 AM CDT
    • And the singles are essential too in my opinion. Elka of the Trashwomen has been selling some of her stuff on ebay, nothing up at the moment though. Seller ID is: luxe_vintage

• September 21, 2011 8:57 PM CDT
    • I've only heard Spend the Night With.... Highly recommended.

• September 21, 2011 8:59 PM CDT
    • Definitely the Nuggets box set and Here Are the Sonics!