Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• September 15, 2011 4:34 AM CDT
    • I saw the great Shonen Knife at the Kings Cross Scala on Sunday night, hard to believe it's almost twenty years since I first saw them...and harder to believe it's their 30th anniversary tour! Absolutely fantastic show, I'm still smiling!

Cheers!

Steve

• September 15, 2011 12:18 AM CDT
    • I say The Alice Cooper Band, so American glam?

• September 15, 2011 12:09 AM CDT
    • If it's your first time seeing him, you're in for a real treat. It's amazing how much better of a show he can put on sitting down than some can on their feet.

• September 14, 2011 7:33 PM CDT
    • Great! There's also a new Bloodshot sampler out with another new track and a third track from the album will be released on "Southern Independent vol. 3"

• September 14, 2011 11:55 PM CDT
    • So dumbfounded that I'm dumbfounder, as to imply MORE than dumbfounded.

Andy O.B.O. said:

I can't really say I hate this since I'm too dumbfounder to really know what to make of it, but...

• September 14, 2011 11:52 PM CDT
    • I can't really say I hate this since I'm too dumbfounder to really know what to make of it, but...

• September 14, 2011 5:20 PM CDT
    • The Gong show was hilarious actually.  I should have said... It's worse than Star Search! lol!

• September 14, 2011 4:29 AM CDT
    • I really hate this one:

• September 14, 2011 6:24 PM CDT
    • the settings on the H2 are : Front 90, Rear 120, and all four together... I tend to use Stealth (external) mics as they're easier to get to head height, and you can stash the recorder (once you set the levels and locked it down) in a pocket or bag.

If stealth *isn't* an issue, the unit stands quite nicely on the rubber feet...

I've been recording since 1975 and it's always tricky getting the right level... with the H2, I set the attenuation to Concert and start with a level of around 85 (it goes to 125) You can adjust while recording, and balance it out later, but TBH, setting the level during a soundcheck, or support band is probably best.  

Leave some overhead just in case, set the peaks to around -6dB to account for loud claps/explosions/etc...

But really, the best advice is to go and record something... in a pub or free gig... just to get used to the rig.

My favourite rig was the Walkman D6.  it never let me down. despite having to flip tapes (under 2 secs, with practise)

• September 14, 2011 5:41 PM CDT
    • Craig

Do you actually hold onto the H2 when you record, or do you place it somewhere on that foot/tripod device?

And what mic setting do you use? From what i've read, there's 4 different mic settings for mic direction.

And the reason i'm leaning more to the H1 is it's size and what looks like ease of operation.

thanx tons

• September 14, 2011 12:23 PM CDT
    • I use a Zoom H2, the internals mics are really good, but if you can stretch to buying some external condensers, you'll  see some great results, even when the crowd is lively...

• September 14, 2011 11:55 AM CDT
    • Anybody record live bands on this group? And if so, what do you use? And would you recommend what  you currently use?

I've been thinking about buying a Zoom H1 recorder. Here's a link:

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h1/

The reason i'm considering the H1 is that it's fairly light and small, fairly easy to use (at least that's what all of the info i've read suggests) and cheap...under $100.

I just want something that will record live bands with fairly good quality (ya, i know it depends on how good the live sound is, crowd noise around you when you're recording and all of those details) to listen back, and possibly play a song or 2 on the radio.

Years ago i had an AIWA stereo walkman that made great recordings. It needs a new mic and drive belt and those parts don't seem to be available.

• September 14, 2011 4:37 PM CDT
    • I'm anyway grateful that kids become fans of garage. I remember when I started listening to it. It started with Black Lips, Mummies, Sonics, 13th Floor etc, but the thirst for more got me interested in hearing more.

Let's welcome them all!

Jon said:

yes. trendy as fck.. i have a DJ night where I play tons of BFTG tunes, stuff from all those awesome comps from Teenage Shutdown to the Quagmire series, but people don't seem intrested in really knowing the genre. as well as more current garagepunk band... instead tons of people go out to this other night where they play nothing outside the Nuggets comp and even then its usually only the Sonics, sometimes 13th floor elevators and a bunch of other top 40 tracks from the 60's and people are always at shows trying to brag about how much they know about "garage" and how good it is but can never talk any further than the sonics, mummies, gories, white stripes, and the black lips.

• September 14, 2011 4:04 PM CDT
    • Don't forget the Teenage Shutdown song about Niatpac Levram; The evil mirror of Captain Marvel.

The Chevron's - Niat Pac Levram

• September 14, 2011 2:54 PM CDT
    • Thanks for all the words of support. Ugly Things on the Radio (or on the Pod or whatever) will be back one of these days. I had a lot of fun doing the show, but since then got sidetracked finishing up a new Ugly Things among other things.

• September 14, 2011 2:08 PM CDT
    • I bet Jesus was between the couch cushions.  Maybe under the bed.

Sectmaniac said:

Something about Chris (booker) finding Jesus...

• September 14, 2011 11:32 AM CDT
    • Good one!

Sectmaniac said:

Something about Chris (booker) finding Jesus and the music goes against his religious beliefs. He got permission from his pastor to do one last show but all the money goes to the church.

• September 14, 2011 1:32 PM CDT
    • A must view for old-school punkers.

Thanks, Kopper

• September 14, 2011 9:13 AM CDT
    • Hello ,

what is it:

The show started on the 6th of january 1995 , David and I (Eric) shared the same  taste in music , so we decided to run a radio show , the first episode was entirely dedicated to Billy Childish.

We are based  in Poitiers,  a middletown between Paris and Bordeaux, France . 

The name of the station is Radio Accords and once a week we try to find the best of  every kind of Rock'n'Roll , from 50's to nowadays.

You can find the podcasts here -------------> Podcasts

Thanx for your time.

E & D.

• September 14, 2011 2:22 AM CDT
    • yeah thats weird ha ha, they seem a pit to poppy for me they seem like they kinda just jumped on the band wagon ha ha ha, they turned down Stepping stone and then when the monkees made it a hit the raiders did it also ha ha ha but that song kicks is ok   

John Carlucci said:

Luke Greenwood said:
      ... but i'm not really a big fan of the raiders ha ha...
      The Raiders had some great songs. The Revolutionary War outfits were always pretty lame however.
      I went to a vintage car show recently in Glendale Ca & The Raiders were playing.... actually it was Paul Revere & a bunch of young guys wearing the outfits... though they did not quite get it right... they were wearing Redcoats. (The British wore Redcoats) So I thought that was a bit odd. No one else seemed to notice but me. I mean  The real Historical Paul Revere was definitely NOT British... (no matter what Sarah Palin says)! lol!....Anyway, to make matters worse, they did their own "hits" as medley's then they turned into a classic rock Cover band, doing stuff like Led Zepplin songs! It was really weird.

• September 13, 2011 8:54 PM CDT
    • My first was The Big Enchilada which I came across via a google search for, I believe, Mr. Horsepower and for some reason that came up. I was heading for a two hour car ride, downloaded a few episodes, and upon returning back home downloaded the rest of them. 

Next up was Way Past Cool and You Got Good Taste. Ever since then, these have been my 'go-to' podcasts and sources for great music. Of course I would be remiss in failing to mention Sonic Nightmare. However, it was TBE that made me look at my record collection and say, I have to fucking do this.