Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• September 13, 2011 11:03 AM CDT
    • seen them two years ago at The Born Bad Festival in Paris ! it was a blast !!!

• September 13, 2011 10:46 AM CDT
    • You should rip an MP3 of that live tape and post it here. I'd love to hear it.

whatwave dave said:

Only got to see The Neckbreakers once and it left a lasting impression on me...only about 10 people to see them and they killed all 10 of us with their balls to the wall rock'n'roll!!! It was like they were playing to 10000 people!! The people that i know that were at that show still talk about it to this day.

Made a live tape of that show and it still blows me away to this day!!

• September 12, 2011 4:17 PM CDT
    • I love that band. I saw them at Cavestomp in 97, plus I saw them a few other times in LA around the same time.

• September 13, 2011 10:15 AM CDT
    • WFMU is always good for underground/garage tunes. They're streaming online 24/7.

Gotta mention CHIRP Radio from my new hometown of Chicago as well. Awesome independent radio.

• September 13, 2011 8:09 AM CDT
    • you can pick this up on your internetradioreceiver (or smartphone)!

www.yeahright.eu

24/7 Garage Surf Soul!

• September 13, 2011 8:03 AM CDT
    • I can't stand your typical "modern rock" stations. Those are everywhere and play the worst possible mainstream rock crap imaginable. "Modern rock" (which used to be called "alternative rock") has come to mean really awful bands like Limp Bizkit, Korn, Red Hot Chili Peppers, 311, Staind, Blink 182... do I have to go on?) There's one in St. Louis called The Point. ("Everything Alternative" my ass... like they would ever play the Dirtbombs or Nobunny!) Those are also commercial stations. It's just another cookie-cutter format like all the rest. On the other hand, 90.3 KUSF is the University of San Francisco's station, a commercial-free, non-profit college station. BIG difference. Most of those stations (college/public radio that you find on the left side of the dial in the U.S.) either have a very loose format (meaning that each DJ is allowed to choose at least part of what they play) or they're set up like WFMU in NYC or KDHX in STL where each DJ hosts a different show (usually two or three hours long) and therefore gets to program his/her show with whatever music they want.

I would think that, with the history of all things "garage" and "primitive" and with the success of satellite radio stations like Little Steven's Underground Garage channel on Sirius/XM, that we might start seeing some 24/7 garage/punk/rock'n'roll commercial stations. But I still think that genre is just too much a niche genre to attract a large enough listener base in any one city. Once you create a commercial station you have to start playing by those rules, meaning market share becomes really important for attracting advertisers. I just don't see it ever happening on terrestrial (traditional) radio, meaning AM or FM. That's why we have to stick to streaming Internet radio and podcasts.

Don't forget to also check out the Zines & Radio Shows group here on the Hideout for some good radio shows and podcasts to check out (outside of the GPPN).

Kidango said:

well of course it doesnt have to be strictly garage rock, but  just some modern rock n roll stations would be cool. But hey ill check out that rock 'n soul station! 
      I know there was a san fransisco station 90.3 ksuf that played stuff like nobunny, the staggers, and th e strange boys, but for some reason i cant find the station on my radio, ah well..

• September 13, 2011 12:17 AM CDT
    • well of course it doesnt have to be strictly garage rock, but  just some modern rock n roll stations would be cool. But hey ill check out that rock 'n soul station! 
      I know there was a san fransisco station 90.3 ksuf that played stuff like nobunny, the staggers, and th e strange boys, but for some reason i cant find the station on my radio, ah well..

• September 12, 2011 9:06 PM CDT
    • I don't know of any stations that play nothing but garage rock... no terrestrial broadcast stations, anyway. Lots of stations have specific shows that feature garage and trashy punk/rock'n'roll, though.

My favorite Internet station, though, is WFMU's Rock 'n' Soul Ichiban. I have a wifi radio (which I HIGHLY recommend if you have wireless Internet at your home) and have that station on almost all the time. I can seriously listen to it 24/7. Of course, you can also program it to stream podcast feeds, too, and I have the GaragePunk Podcasts on it, too.

• September 12, 2011 8:10 PM CDT
    • Hello boys and girls! I was wondering if anyone knew about any sweet radio stations coming out of the san fransisco bay area to find some cool new music. Also for everyone else, why not talk about your favorite station in your town?

• September 13, 2011 9:37 AM CDT
    • For any glam rock fans who are old enough to remember this...how did you respond to Quiet Riot's cover of Slade's "Cum On Feel The Noize"?  When I first heard the Quiet Riot version, I thought it was the greatest song ever (keep in mind, I was 15 at the time).  I had never even heard of Slade at the time, so I had no idea it was a cover.

Speaking of 80s hair metal bands covering glam songs, what did you think of Great White's cover of Ian Hunter's "Once Bitten, Twice Shy"?  Again, I didn't know it was a cover when I first heard it.  Another example is Motley Crue's version of Brownsville Station's "Smoking in the Boys' Room."  

• September 12, 2011 9:50 PM CDT
    • It's okay. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. For the record, I hate Zak Wylde too! lol!

• September 12, 2011 6:25 PM CDT
    • Sorry I was flipping around. I don't hate The Fuzztones that much haha..

But I hate Zakk Wylde forsure.. ;P

• September 12, 2011 4:12 PM CDT
    •  When I was in the band, we were a good live band. I don't think the recordings ever caught us as good as we were as a live band. Which is a shame, because the recordings are what live on.We had a certain chemistry. Oddly enough, I always felt Rudi was the weakest link in that chemistry. Had he let us be, to create at the best of our own ability, I think the recordings would have been far superior.  Had he let us contribute more to the songwriting, he would have had better songs.  I just hope that some people understand, despite the image of the band, we were not all egotistical 60's Garage rock Purists.

• September 13, 2011 9:03 AM CDT
    • Why is this the final one?

• September 13, 2011 8:28 AM CDT
    • Hot damn, I wanna go. 

• September 13, 2011 8:26 AM CDT
    • I can't stop reading articles and watching videos about last year. Kind of obsessed. Can't freaking wait.

• September 13, 2011 4:45 AM CDT
    • It's a crime to take Ugly Things off the podwaves! This is a given. We need Mike back here!

• September 12, 2011 7:38 PM CDT
    •  You should definitely bring it back as a podcast. The podcast jukebox is the easiest way to check for new shows or find past ones when another listen is called for!

• September 12, 2011 4:32 PM CDT
    • Back as a podcast would be great.

• September 12, 2011 3:41 PM CDT
    • Who wants this show back? Mike stopped doing it when the show got the axe from Real Punk Radio earlier this year. I, for one, would love to see Mike continue on with what he was doing and just make it a podcast. Who's with me in trying to lure Mike back???

• September 13, 2011 1:53 AM CDT
    • that is super cool man i love that baby blue color and the fender neck loos good on it :) i think that fang from the raiders did the same thing to his phantom iV but i'm not really a big fan of the raiders ha ha

John Carlucci said:

This is for Luke, who wanted to see some Phantom's...............Though not stock, this "Phantomcaster" is a historical piece of LA Rock N Roll history, for it belongs to Mike Palm, legendary guitar player in Socal Punk band, "Agent Orange". I took this photo backstage at their show Saturday night at The Galaxy Theatre in Santa Ana Ca

• September 13, 2011 1:49 AM CDT
    • In addition to my Big Enchilada podcast, I do two local radio shows for Santa Fe Public Radio, KSFR.

One is a freeform weirdo radio show with lots of primitive rock 'n' roll, surf, psychedlic, R&B, raw soul, garage, punk, etc. I just posted about that over at the Zines & Radio Shows group.

The other, The Santa Fe Opry, is a hillbilly show -- lots of real country from the 20s through the 70s, rockabilly, country blues, Old Weird America, jug band, the more rocking side of alt country, insurgent country, XXX, plus a little Cajun, zydeco, Mexican music, etc.

It plays Friday nights, 10 pm to midnight Mountain Time. I don't archive the shows, but if you're online at that time, you can listen to the live stream HERE My playlists can be found on my blog HERE .

Here's my most recent playlist:

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 02, 2011

THE SANTA FE OPRY PLAYLIST

Friday, September 2, 2011
      KSFR, Santa Fe, NM
      Webcasting! 
      10 p.m. to midnight Fridays Mountain Time
      Host: Steve Terrell 

101.1 FM
      email me during the show! terrel(at)ksfr.org

OPENING THEME: Buckaroo by Buck Owens & The Buckaroos
      Hard Times by Jon Langford
      Gambling Preacher and His Daughter by Whiskey Folk Ramblers
      Broken Man by The Goddamn Gallows
      Sleepy Time Blues by Jess Hooper
      Asthma Inhaler by Joe Buck
      Detour by Sleepy LaBeef
      Preaching the Blues by The Gun Club
      Mae Dawn by Artie Hill
      Pine Box Rotten by Crankshaft & The Geargrinders

Rainmaker by Eliza Gilkyson
      Tonight I'm Going to Jail by Felix y Los Gatos
      Back in Your World by Billy Kaundart
      Anything Goes at a Rooster Show by The Imperial Rooster
      Lookin' For Someone to Kill by Kell Robertson
      Keeper of the Light by Joe West
      Sinfull Paradise by Stephanie Hatfield
      A Hundred Dollars by John Egenes

Another Bender Might Break Me by Hellbound Glory
      Canteen Full of Dreams by Roger Alan Wade
      Old Moon by Bloodshot Bill
      Happy Hour In Hell by Cornell Hurd
      If I Could Take You Home by The Karl Shiflett & Big Country Show
      Favorite Waste of Time by J.B. Beverley &The-Wayward-Drifters
      Sparkling Brown Eyes by Webb Pierce
      Little Bells by Rosie Flores & The Pine Valley Cosmonauts

Redemption by Dex Romweber Duo
      Ain't Comin' Back No More by Poor Boy's Soul
      Bob Dylan's 49th Beard by Wilco
      Ten Lonely Years by Stevie Tombstone
      Seven-Mile Island by Jason Isbell by The 400 Unit
      A Smashing Indictment of Character by Slim Cessna's Auto Club
      Weakness In A Man by Waylon Jennings
      CLOSING THEME: Comin' Down by The Meat Puppets

Check it out sometime. If you like my Big Enchilada hillbilly episodes, you'll like the SF Opry.

• September 13, 2011 1:24 AM CDT
    • In addition to my Big Enchilada podcast, I do two local radio shows for Santa Fe Public Radio, KSFR.

One is a hillbilly show (I think I'll post about that one over in the Podunk Holler group). But on the other one, I mostly play  the type of music that's the foundation of the Hideout -- primitive rock 'n' roll, surf, psychedlic, R&B, raw soul and of course, garage, punk, garagepunk -- you get the picture.

It's called Terrell's Sound World, and my tag is "the home of freeform weirdo radio." Yes, Sonic Youth fans, the title is a play off an old SY song title.

It plays Sunday nights, 10 pm to midnight Mountain Time. 

I don't archive the shows, but if you're fucking around the internet at that time, you can listen to the live stream  HERE

My playlists can be found on my blog HERE .

This week's show was my annual post-Labor Day show, where I played mainly union songs (and economic blues) with a pal who's an old labor history professor and activist. So there's not much in the way of GaragePunk. But I'll post the week before that as a more representative example of what I do. 

TERRELL'S SOUND WORLD PLAYLIST

Sunday, September 4, 2011
      KSFR, Santa Fe, N.M.
      10 p.m. to midnight Sundays Mountain Time
      Host: Steve Terrell

Webcasting!

101.1 FM
      email me during the show! terrell(at)ksfr.org

OPENING THEME: Let it Out (Let it All Hang Out) by The Hombres
      Scotch and Water and You by Monkeyshines
      Threw My Girl a Party by BBQ
      Best Napkin I Ever Had by Black Lips
      Dark as a Dungeon by The Tombstones
      The Dealer, The Peeler And The Stealer by Andre Williams With The Compulsive Gamblers
      Rat City by Jack Oblivian
      Do The Milkshake by The Oblivians
      Move Mr. Man by The Del-Gators
      Boggie 65 by Juke Joint Pimps

White Rabbit by The Frontier Circus
      Just Dropped In To See What Condition My Condition Was In by Mojo Nixon
      Samson and Delilah by Edison Rocket Train
      She's Like Heroin to Me by The Gun Club
      Stay a Little Longer by Glambilly
      Johnny Voodoo by Empress of Fur
      Death of Mighty Joe by The Devil Dogs
      Bottle Of Wine by The Fireballs

Bad Whiskey and Cocaine by David "Honeyboy" Edwards
      Hip Shake by L.C. Ulmer
      It Hurts Me Too by Hound Dog Taylor
      Bad Dog by Boogie Bill Webb
      Fox Hunt by Little Freddie King
      Here Comes Papa by T-Model Ford
      Hoodoo Man Blues by Junior Wells
      Riding the Rails by David "Honeyboy" Edwards

Zozobra by A Hawk And A Hacksaw and The Hun Hangár Ensemble
      Burn The Flames by Roky Erickson
      Wang Dang Doodle by PJ Harvey
      Infected by Simon Stokes & The Heathen Angels
      Weeping Song by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
      Stormy Weather by Reigning Sound
      CLOSING THEME: Over the Rainbow by Jerry Lee Lewis 
      xxxxx
      Check it out sometime
      swt

• September 12, 2011 6:49 PM CDT
    •  

Playlist Sept 8/2011

On this week's show, we had Jeff Mittelholtz of The Stuntdoubles and CEO of Splattered Frog Records as a special guest. Splattered Frog Records are celebrating their 25th year with a big bash at Brennan's Beer Bistro on Sat Sept 10th with a ton of bands including The Stuntdoubles, Giggleswitch, Carnies and literally tons more. Jeff was also in the legendary Positively Stompin...', a cool combo that was way ahead of it's time, playing country influenced rock when people couldn't give a shit. Timing is everything. But shit is always on time, or whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean. Enough yammering...

1. Dave Edmunds...Back To School Days...from the Get It LP from 1977. Local combo Uranus did their thesis on this LP and made a career out of it. This goes out to everyone going back to school.

2. The Carnies....Lo and Behold...local combo who mixed horns and rock'n'roll and are reuniting on Sat night.

3. Boozehounds...She Says....another local combo reuniting on saturday night.

4. The Stunt Doubles...Dough Head...another local combo who are playing Sat night, but are not reuniting cause they still play around town.

5. Giggleswitch...How Good You Look...from their VII CD and they are reuniting this saturday night. Sounds like a broken record, but all of these bands will be at the big Splattered Frog Records show on Saturday night at Brennan's Beer Bistro.

6. Positively Stompin'...Nashville Dreamin'...from their Junk Drawer CD from 1993. Nope, no reunion on Saturday night. Astute listeners will remember UIC did this song back in the 80's and even more astute listeners/trivia freaks will know that some of Positively Stompin' were in UIC...Ted and Murray.

7. 63 Monroe...Bad Bad Rawk'n'Roll...from their brand new 7" and they will be playing at Call The Office on Saturday night, which just happens to be next door to Brennan's Beer Bistro.

8. Bradleyboy...2:15...from his The Farm CD. One man blues band who will be playing tonight (friday Sept 9) at The Brass in London Ontario.

9. Bradleyboy...If You Left Me...from the Rock/Wood CD.

10. Dead Beat....Whet Beat....from the Warning CD. Hamilton surf combo.

11. MC5...High School...from the Back In The USA LP from 1970 and goes out to those lucky kids going back to highschool.

12. Electric Prunes...Too Much To Dream Last Night...a request and a really cool one. Saw these guys at Wooly Weekend in Montreal in 2009 and they are REALLY FUCKING LOUD!! And the guitar player has more effects pedals than i have brain cells. Somewhere in the Radio WW facebook page there's a picture that proves this.

13. Blue Cheer...Summertime Blues....from the Vincebus Eruptum LP and another request.

14. The Hook Up...Today and Tomorrow...from the Tomorrow and Today CD. They were at Grooves Records last saturday and put on a hot and sweaty show. They'll be back in town on Nov 5th at Brennan's Beer Bistro.

15. Light Bulb Alley...Who Do You Love...from The Sound Of Things CD.

16. Bon...Static Electricity...from the CD of the same name.

17. The Polymorphines...Poor Sicko...from The Slip CD. They will be our special guests next week and promise to play some acoustic tunes live over the airwaves just for you listeners. Then The Polymorphines play at The Black Shire Pub later in the evening with The Wormwood Scrubs and The Oily Birds.

18. The Fleshtones...Hitsburg USA...from The Solid Gold Sound LP. The Fleshtones will be playing at This Ain't Hollywood in Hamilton Ontario on Sept 26th. This is your chance to see the Greatest Rock'n'Roll show on the planet! I'll be the guy at the front of the stage jumping up and down...check out this video of their last appearance in Hamilton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jySWdfiKZQs

19. Mother's Children...Anything To Calm Me Down...from their Tough Enough 12".

20. The Standstills...Black Betty...from their The Human Element CD and they play The Spoke at The University Of Western Ontario Sept 16.

21. The monks...monk Time...from their 1966 LP Black monk Time. The inventors of punk rock. The greatest band to ever come out of Germany. The best dressed band of the 60's. The greatest band to ever feature a banjo as the rhythm instrument. The accolades could go on and on but i played this track as i finally read Black Monk Time by Eddie Shaw and found out the real story behind this wacky outfit. And The Fleshtones are HUGE fans of The monks.

22. The Persian Claws...Clever Way To Crawl...from the latest garagepunk.com download called Hidden Tracks.

That's it for this week. Big thanx to Jeff for coming in to mumble about Splattered Frog Records.

Next week The Polymorphines live onair prior to the evening's festivities at The Black Shire Pub.

Here's the link to listen to the noise:

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3