Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• September 12, 2011 3:41 PM CDT
    • Going to be a BLAST!!

• September 12, 2011 2:54 PM CDT
    • Wow must have been tough ;-)

I dont mind the 'originals' so much and they had a few good tunes, but the covers perhaps should have been left alone.

Though I cant really talk I've butchered a few classics myself!

• September 12, 2011 2:41 PM CDT

•  Lol! I said it before & I'll say it again. I never played a Vox Phantom. I hated the necks. When I was in the Fuzztones & we signed to RCA, Jordan & I Approached Rickenbacker & we signed an endorsement deal. That was the only way I was able to get Rudi to stop bugging me about playing a Phantom. To be perfectly honest, I always have favored the Fender Precision. I have two gorgeous vintage P Basses that Rudi always gave me a hard time about using in the band. One day we were soundchecking at Scream & the opening band was onstage checking the bass gear. I do not recall which band it was, but the bassist had a 70's P Bass & an SVT.  He sounded awesome. Rudi turned to me and said how come your bass doesn't sound that good?? My answer... It would if you let me play a P Bass! lol!!  To him, it's all image. BTW, he barely has any original gear left, he had to sell a lot of it off. He's playing re-issues now.
      Axel Björnsson said:

fuck the fuzztones.. oooooo we only use vox we're so 66' fuck off.... (Really I got 2 or 3 records with them. fuck'em)

• September 12, 2011 2:33 PM CDT
    •  The main problem with the Fuzztones is that they never really were or are a band. Having been a part of the band that went the furthest, I can tell you that Rudi tries so hard to control everything that he kills any creativity from his band mates & they end up leaving. He's probably had like 50 people in the band by now & he thinks by dressing them up in the same clothes that no one will notice.  Because our line-up resided in Los Angeles during the 80's & 90's when all of those Hair Bands were happening, a lot of people assumed we must be Metal heads. This is a phallacy. Jordan (the guitar player) was a founding member of the Outta Place. I came originally out of the NYC CBGB's/Max's Kansas City scene as the bassist for The Speedies, Mad Mike was from the Stratford Survivors & The Tones were Jason's first band.

Mr Tea said:

got to agree with teen fink, the fuzztones ruined pretty much every song they covered, turning great punk classics into boring-goth-rock plodders! Its like they really didnt get it! Should've been a heavy metal band probably.

....then theres van halens version of 'you really got me' that one really gets me! (maybe van halen and the fuzztones are the same band hmmmm)

• September 12, 2011 2:26 PM CDT
    • I agree, and I was in the band! lol!!  I so tried to get Rudi to do originals. The problem is, his songwriting is not too good either.  You'll notice when listening to his originals, that they all have pieces nicked from other songs so they may as well be covers...

• Bad News Travels Fast:  Chord progression lifted from Jethro Tull's "Locomotive Breath", Played faster
      • Nine Months Later- Intro lifted from the Markette's "Out Of Limits"/ Chrous lifted from the Mc Coy's "Hang On Sloopy"
      • In Heat: Main Riff  (  & concept Heat/Fire)lifted from Jimi Hendrix "Fire', Riff is inverted
      • She's Wicked:  Partial lyrics lifted from Howlin Wolf ( "asked My Baby for water & she gave me gasoline)

TeenFink said:

one cover band really grates on my nerves, and i realize they probably have a lot of fans here, but who cares? i'm talking about the FUZZTONES. i can stomach maybe Bad News Travels Fast (their best moment), but the covers they recorded are pretty consistently lame.

now, the DIRTBOMBS, on the other hand, know how to cover songs and do it well. see Ultraglide in Black and If You Don't Already Have a Look as perfect examples. some outstanding covers there.

• September 12, 2011 12:43 PM CDT
    • fuck the fuzztones.. oooooo we only use vox we're so 66' fuck off.... (Really I got 2 or 3 records with them. fuck'em)

First of all Zakk Wylde Fuck the fuck off. ( Think of all the great Sabbath songs he have fucking killed) I got throwed out of a heavymetal store couple weeks ago when I started to talk bad about Zakk when someone told me I looked like him but that's another story.

Slash--ok he was in Gun's N.... No I have never been a Gun's fan. Everybody wanted me to dig it( including my mom) Fuck off.

don't need to find another. this guys are the worst sort of filth

• September 12, 2011 10:32 AM CDT
    • got to agree with teen fink, the fuzztones ruined pretty much every song they covered, turning great punk classics into boring-goth-rock plodders! Its like they really didnt get it! Should've been a heavy metal band probably.

....then theres van halens version of 'you really got me' that one really gets me! (maybe van halen and the fuzztones are the same band hmmmm)

• September 12, 2011 2:48 PM CDT
    • The GGG are my cuppa a tea 2:):)

Zane Arillotta said:

Hey K K! I'll get back to you with more over the weekend as I'm short on time right now but the Gore Gore Girls...that's a name I haven't heard for a while....and I'm too tired/lazy to find out how I know it but...they weren't on Get Hip were they or associated with Gregg Kostelach of the Cynics or even the Fuzztones?? I'm pretty sure I've probably seen them! But as I started seeing live bands when I was 11 years old and I'm 53 now all these bands kind of all blur together after a while......

• September 12, 2011 2:09 PM CDT
    • I saw The Jim Jones Revue, Thursday night @ The Echo (LA) & I saw Agent Orange Saturday Night @ The Galaxy Theatre in OC.

• September 12, 2011 2:03 PM CDT
    • Awesome bands :)

• September 12, 2011 11:42 AM CDT
    • This looks amazing!!! The late 70's Boston scene was always one of my faves as a lot of the bands took the best from the 60's punk era and melded it with the 70's punk energy....hence creating garagepunk!!!

Thanx to Monoman and DMZ, The Real Kids, Classic Ruins, Mighty Ions, Sass, Third Rail,Thundertrain and sooooo many more cool Boston combos!!

This is gonna be KILLER!!!

• September 12, 2011 11:32 AM CDT
    • YES!!!

• September 12, 2011 11:21 AM CDT
    • This looks similar in theme to the "Bflo Pnk 1.0" I've been trying to find this summer. I look forward to seeing this as well. Let's hope these are just the beginning...

• September 12, 2011 1:58 PM CDT
    • Nothing beats the Manili Vanilli swindle where, in that case, there was NO real band at all :):):):)!!!!!

• September 12, 2011 11:47 AM CDT
    • In some strange way this one is although less truthful (and probably because of being so) more faithful to punk spirit than The Filth & The Fury. It´s not an account of the facts, it´s a portrait of the attitude.

• September 12, 2011 11:30 AM CDT
    • Total farce but a brilliant movie.  I don’t think we were ever supposed to believe Malcolm was truthful.   

• September 12, 2011 10:30 AM CDT
    • The main redeeming thing about the movie was the Sid Vicious "My Way" segment. And "Good Ship Venus." Both these are at the end.

• September 12, 2011 10:06 AM CDT
    • Snagged this from the Dangerous Minds blog:

Julian Temple’s 1980 mockumentary The Great Rock ‘n’ Roll Swindle attempts to drain the last bit of blood from the corpse of The Sex Pistols. With Pistols’ Svengali Malcolm McClaren as his accessory in this crime against historical fact, Temple depicts the Pistols as a sham act with little or no bona fide talent foisted on an easily manipulated youth culture. Of course, he was wrong and would later do penance by directing the far more accurate documentary The Filth and The Fury 20 years later.

McClaren may have constructed The Sex Pistols but once his monster was out of the lab it was a genuine force to be reckoned with. The Pistols influence is as potent now as it was the day they were born. McClaren had a genius for promotion and anticipating/creating trends, but he was mad for thinking that the Pistols were solely a product of his own ego-driven machinations. The raw material was already there.

The Great Rock ‘n’ Roll Swindle may have been intended as a joke, but the joke ended up being on its creators, not the band or its fans. Temple may have been trying to make a satirical film about a rock band as pop culture product along the lines of Bob Rafaelson’s Monkees’ flick Head, but he did so without any of Rafaelson’s imagination, wit or charm. While Head was a surreal and entertaining romp, Swindle has the stench of something gone sour.

Chaotic, tiresome, but not without moments of brilliance (Temple is no hack) and great live music, here’s TGR&RS in its entirety. Very nice quality.

• September 12, 2011 12:35 PM CDT
    •  

The s/s Gibson EBO is '64 and the l/s EB3 copy is '68

The Selmer TrebleNBass with bluefront cab is 50W and supposedly '66

The Vox Super Foundation is 100W and from '69, I believe. It features the 'Tone X' fuzz option

These have been stored away for 10+ years now, so if anyone wants to buy them, send me a PM :D :D :D 

• September 12, 2011 10:10 AM CDT
    • This is for Luke, who wanted to see some Phantom's...............Though not stock, this "Phantomcaster" is a historical piece of LA Rock N Roll history, for it belongs to Mike Palm, legendary guitar player in Socal Punk band, "Agent Orange". I took this photo backstage at their show Saturday night at The Galaxy Theatre in Santa Ana Ca

• September 12, 2011 12:13 PM CDT
    • Mel,

I use one of the Boss/Fender FRV-1 pedals as well and can not recommend them more. They aren't 100% accurate to the old 63 outboard units but are damn close and substantially cheaper. Even more, they are a lot less fragile.

Mel Bergman said:

All,

Having tried many reverbs through the years, I think the new Boss/Fender pedal is the best at recreating an old outboard Fender. And as a bonus, it runs on a 9v battery, which is great for traveling overseas. Danelectro- JUnk. Holy grail, okay, but not lacks that certain something. I remember building a small box with the guts of a 64 reverb and a tiny accutronix pan, just to get something I could take on a Plane. Imagine trying that now, post 9/11.

Mel
      Phantom Surfers

Mel
      Phantom Surfers

• September 12, 2011 11:57 AM CDT
    • re Europe, we've used vinylfactory for our first two releases. 

a top quality final product; not the cheapest in the UK but would rather push out something which people will want to keep. 

high predigree - it's the old EMI factory at Hayes.

• September 12, 2011 10:23 AM CDT
    • Gerne geschehen ;)

• September 12, 2011 10:22 AM CDT
    • Can't talk for my band, as this is our band's profile, but me, being German, my fave NDW band is without a doubt...

Extrabreit!

Their debut album is great from start to finish!