Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• September 6, 2011 10:36 PM CDT
    • Here is the Spongebob episode with Lux.

• September 6, 2011 5:29 PM CDT
    • Bloodshot put out a kids comp....nine years ago? Before my little rocker was born...and I loved it. It had a great version of "Red Red Robin" on it. Great thread, my kids can come home from the playground listening to some crap.

• September 6, 2011 10:03 PM CDT
    • These are fantastic.

• September 6, 2011 9:07 PM CDT
    • Yeah, it's basically an old train station converted into a shopping mall. http://www.stlouisunionstation.com/ So yes, very unusual place to see any live bands playing, much less *good* ones!

MikeL said:

Is Union Station an unusual place for a band like that?  I'm not familiar with St. Louis, so that's why I'm asking.

You must have had a REALLY good time in Vegas if you can't remember seeing them;)  

kopper said:

GREAT live band, and their records are pretty killer as well. Very underrated.

Got to see them twice, I think... TrebleFest '96 in Denver and once at Union Station (of all places) in St. Louis. I may have seen 'em once in Vegas, too, now that I think about it.

• September 6, 2011 6:09 PM CDT
    • Is Union Station an unusual place for a band like that?  I'm not familiar with St. Louis, so that's why I'm asking.

You must have had a REALLY good time in Vegas if you can't remember seeing them;)  

kopper said:

GREAT live band, and their records are pretty killer as well. Very underrated.

Got to see them twice, I think... TrebleFest '96 in Denver and once at Union Station (of all places) in St. Louis. I may have seen 'em once in Vegas, too, now that I think about it.

• September 6, 2011 6:06 PM CDT
    • Actually, the reason why I'm asking this question is because I am listening to their CDs at work:)  I listened to "The Return of Rock" today, and I'll listen to "Shake and Break" tomorrow.

Gringo Starr said:

Beat-Man made a name for himself touring (opening) with these guys in the '90s. As Kopper said, they were great live and were very underrated. If you haven't checked there recordings out, do so.

• September 6, 2011 4:57 PM CDT
    • Beat-Man made a name for himself touring (opening) with these guys in the '90s. As Kopper said, they were great live and were very underrated. If you haven't checked there recordings out, do so.

• September 6, 2011 4:35 PM CDT
    • GREAT live band, and their records are pretty killer as well. Very underrated.

• September 6, 2011 3:48 PM CDT
    • Does anyone here know what they're up to?  Both their website and their myspace pages appear to be pretty inactive.  I did find a group for them on Facebook, and I'm waiting for my membership approval.  It's been years since they put out any new LPs, and they haven't played here in Pittsburgh for quite a while.

They were one of the first garage bands that I saw live, shortly after I first saw the Cynics. They played at the 31st Street Pub in July 2000, and they really blew me away that night.  One of the local bands on the bill had to cancel that night due to the guitar player quitting, so the Swingin' Neckbreakers had to play a longer set.  They more than made up for the other band canceling that night, and they played like a machine.

• September 6, 2011 5:40 PM CDT
    • i agree to your comment "But the English scene developed distinct from the US/NY". as to the scene in LA circa 72 to 78 there was a distinct influence of Brit Glam and the 6t's Sunset Strip scene on LA Punk Rock. this was before the music become factionalized by supposed New Wave.

Peter Staben said:

You guys are probably right about all the timing of who met/saw who when, and yes of course McLaren managed the Dolls for a while and saw all the early NY scene and was inspired by it, and of course the Pistols sound evolved as they gelled as a band, taking in newer influences etc, but I still think that as an original influence, Glam was a major one, as was 60's garage (which was also one of the Ramones influences...). But the English scene developed distinct from the US/NY one, even though some of the same factors led to both... the English 'Winter(s) of Discontent' et al gave the UK a very political edge... it's hard to describe quite how bleak England had become by the mid-70s, the whole class system/dole/poverty issues which made punk such a liberating thing for so many of us, both as being musicians and just being young and poor/bored/restless/etc etc. And for a few years it changed everything for us... but then the old order reasserted itself, and despite a few other breakouts, is more consolidated today than ever... hello 'reality'/Xfactor/Idol-World (sigh!)

• September 6, 2011 5:33 PM CDT
    • i heard a broadcast that Johnny (Lyden)Rotton did as a DJ in 1978 and he was big on playing The Ramones/Captain Beefheart/Modern Lovers. that about says it all in my book! i think The Damned were more influenced by Brit Glam, hence their cover of Ballroom Blitz.

• September 6, 2011 4:25 PM CDT
    • And the Ol' Sonic Nightmares has been around for 4 of those 6! Glad to still be here! Happy Birthday to us!

• September 6, 2011 1:23 PM CDT
    • It's the music that got me here in the first place, good new music.

I followed the podcast trail from some of the rock 'n' roll podcasts held on multiple podcast providers and it led to the Garagepunk site, and I'm glad it did.

• September 6, 2011 3:41 PM CDT
    • I'm sure Cleveland does have a lot to offer.  The real problem is getting people off their asses to take advantage of those things.  I feel the same way about Pittsburgh.  BTW, are you going to the Michael Monroe gig?  

Anna Lee Cleveland said:

I know the comic that made that video. We all thought it was super funny. Truth is though, there is so much to do here and so much going on.. in the music and art scenes here... there are not enough days in the week. Not to mention the cost of living and how accessible everything is. It's awesome here. All the touring bands who play here love it too. I can't stand when people bag on Cleveland. It's so completely underrated. I hope it stays that way .. I also love how real and unpretentious our music scene is.

• September 6, 2011 12:59 PM CDT
    • the strokes arnt gone there latest album was realeased in feb and last nite is a top tune witha great solo

• September 6, 2011 11:55 AM CDT
    • Haha! "The pearl Jam" of garage rock is the best description I have heard...

• September 6, 2011 11:48 AM CDT
    • By the way, those embedded players in your post above don't seem to be working... at least not in my browser.

• September 6, 2011 11:45 AM CDT
    • Hell yeah, it's trendy as fuck right now. And it's really annoying. I keep hearing or reading of "garage" sounds or influences in bands that sound NOTHING like garage rock (or "garage punk," for that matter). I think it's just the state of the music scene right now. Bands like the Hives, White Stripes, and Black Lips (amongst others) really put "garage rock" in the mainstream, and then you had labels like Vice Records jump on the bandwagon with lots of money to promote it with the help of corporations like Scion, and BOOM. It's the "next big thing." Problem is, too many of these bands are just plain BORING, and I bet most of 'em wouldn't know a Sonics or Oblivians tune if it hit 'em on their heads.

Oh, and by the way, I never could stand the Strokes. As far as I'm concerned they were the "Pearl Jam of Garage Rock," a fabricated band, totally fake, with crappy music that might be OK when compared with the rest of mainstream "rock music," but pales in comparison to most of the real garage rock/punk out there.

• September 6, 2011 11:31 AM CDT
    • I see lot of bands out there claiming themself playing rock/pop with garage influence, the only problem is they don't sound garage/psych/rocknroll at all.

There are few "garage" bands playing at Iceland Airwaves this year (the biggest music festival in Iceland) Let's check them out..

Here we have this band called Weapons

Weapons is an indie/rock band from Reykjavík Iceland. Their music could be described as melody driven in your face indie rock influenced by good-feel indie, old-school garage and surf pop music.

ok lets take a look at one of their song. 

http://www.gogoyoko.com/song/3169

Yeah I hear Strokes, Maybe some Franz Ferdinand.. Surf Garage old school? 

Here is some old full grown band from Finland called 22 Pistepirkko. Very cool they're from Finland, hardcore people from Finland.

22-Pistepirkko are easily one of Northern Europe's most eccentric and evocative rock acts. The band's sound and diabolical dynamic is a luminous, surreal, guitar-based electro-pop and proto-garage-psychedelia blended with elements of acoustic folk and spaced-out bohemian blues-rock.

I get very exited when some band is coming playing music like this.. Wait they got a sound trial here. 

http://www.gogoyoko.com/song/228788

hmmm..????????????? What?

It's like they want to be more unique that they are. I just hear some cheasy advertisement pop going on here..

So what do you think is Garage trend? Is it "on" right know with the hip people? So what about these bands who are playing garage rock? What should we call them?

• September 6, 2011 9:13 AM CDT
    • Also added "Fucked Up" and "The Togas"...!

• September 6, 2011 3:51 AM CDT
    • delux or standard

Luke Greenwood said:

i have a 59 3p airline in white and it is a very good guitar

dying slowly said:
      true i do like the 3p airline

Sonic Reverends said:
      For that kind of money, you could go for a walk on Denmark Street in London and search for a nice vintage guitar. :) Honestly, as far as Fenders go, nothing beats a Standard Telecaster. That bridge pickup will give you fantastic tone. But you could also consider other guitars: Danelectro (dirt-cheap, great looks and wonderful tone), Eastwood (specially the Airline reissues), Italia Guitars and even Epiphone. And don't forget that a huge part of your sound comes from your amp.

• September 6, 2011 3:47 AM CDT
    • i have a 59 3p airline in white and it is a very good guitar

dying slowly said:

true i do like the 3p airline

Sonic Reverends said:
      For that kind of money, you could go for a walk on Denmark Street in London and search for a nice vintage guitar. :) Honestly, as far as Fenders go, nothing beats a Standard Telecaster. That bridge pickup will give you fantastic tone. But you could also consider other guitars: Danelectro (dirt-cheap, great looks and wonderful tone), Eastwood (specially the Airline reissues), Italia Guitars and even Epiphone. And don't forget that a huge part of your sound comes from your amp.

• September 6, 2011 3:44 AM CDT
    • those sound quite good