Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• September 12, 2011 9:26 AM CDT
    • Ah well, it's all in fun anyway: Keep rockin', y'all.

• September 11, 2011 10:58 AM CDT
    • I get paid with beer when I'm lucky.. Mostly only 2 beers each member of the group.. But sometimes 3-5 each member YEAH!

• September 12, 2011 7:49 AM CDT
    • Check this out:

http://www.boysfromnowhere.org/

Boys From Nowhere

The Story of Boston's Garage Punk Uprising

"Boys From Nowhere" is a documentary currently in production that centers on a handful of Boston area bands who came together in the mid-to-late 1970s and went against the grain of weak, irritating Top 40 radio with raw, catchy rock'n'roll. Feature coming in 2012!

• September 11, 2011 3:56 PM CDT
    • I'm not sure what the first Garagepunk podcast was that I listened to, I got here following a trail of Rock and Roll podcasts from elsewhere and ended up here several years ago, and have been coming back ever since. It may well have been a Flying Saucer show at first, but the hunt for rock and roll changed with an additional interest in the trashy side of punk and garage music, and this seemed to be the ideal place to listen.

• September 10, 2011 3:08 PM CDT
    • my first podcast was also a Flying Saucer Rock N Roll one not sure which one though from the post dates of the podcast probably one of the ones in the teens or early 20s... life's never been the same since then

• September 11, 2011 10:55 AM CDT
    • September 10, 2011 9:12 AM CDT
    • First 2 singles.  He's ex- vocalist of Der KFC.

Early;

And some tunes of Trio, Palais Schaumburg, (early) Die Krupps etc...

• September 10, 2011 5:34 AM CDT
    • Ha ha! I guess you were inspired by the last episode of Sonic Nightmares! Actually, Grauzone is a Swiss band - Neue Schweizer Welle! And they were from Bern (where I've been living for the past twenty years!).

• September 10, 2011 5:25 AM CDT
    • Ideal was really good. And Spliff, are they NDW?

I personally like Joachim Witt´s "Goldener Reiter" very much. Jaki Liebezeit on drums.

• September 10, 2011 4:32 AM CDT
    • Who likes it? And what are your fave bands?

• September 11, 2011 1:51 AM CDT
    • yeah cool would love to see it, my phantom has a hank marvin trem on it that i have only ever seen in these vox adds + i need an original bridge and bridge pickup put back into it 

John Carlucci said:

Nope. I never owned a Phantom. I had a Rickenbacker endorsement deal when I was in The Fuzztones so that's basically what I played. Before that I used my 67 Gibson EB2, the one in my profile picture. I was going for that Yardbirds sound. They used the Epiphone Rivoli, which was basically the same instrument. The Phantom's look cool, but I never liked the feel of the neck. My buddy Ryan who plays in a local SoCal band called Thee Spectors has the coolest Phantom ever. I'll try and get him to join & post some photos.

Luke Greenwood said:

you use to be in the fuzztones yeah? do you have any cool phantoms you can post pics of in here?

John Carlucci said:

Hey, you look familiar to me!

• September 10, 2011 9:46 PM CDT
    • Nice Yamaha! Very unique body style.

Mardy Pune said:

This is yesterdays score; A 1987 Yamaha SS 300.

• September 10, 2011 7:18 PM CDT
    • Here's a crazy late 60's/early 70's Japanese multi-effect made by Companion. By turning the selector knob on the side you can access; a hurricane sound, a surf sound, a wah or you can switch it to make it a volume pedal. In addition to these the switch on the top front of the housing turns on a siren sound that sounds very similar to the sound from 50's police movies. The Hurricane and Surf sounds are just basically made by pink and white noise generators in the circuit. I've never found a practical use for this pedal, but it sure is a lot of fun to goof off with!

• September 10, 2011 7:00 PM CDT
    • That is hot John!

I used to have an Ibanez lawsuit copy of the Les Paul Recording Guitar. I love the electronics in those things, Gibson were really trying to push the envelope with those things.

John Carlucci said:

This is my 75 Gibson Les Paul Triumph Recording bass. One of only 200 made in white. (which has faded to yellow) It's one of the best sounding basses I ever heard.

• September 10, 2011 6:41 PM CDT
    • This is yesterdays score; A 1987 Yamaha SS 300. I walked into the local guitar repair shop to grab some parts for a job I'm doing and walked out with it! They're getting out of the retail side of their business and everything was half price. For $200 Kiwi, I couldn't turn it down!

• September 10, 2011 11:07 AM CDT
    • This is my 75 Gibson Les Paul Triumph Recording bass. One of only 200 made in white. (which has faded to yellow) It's one of the best sounding basses I ever heard.

• September 10, 2011 10:47 AM CDT
    • Nope. I never owned a Phantom. I had a Rickenbacker endorsement deal when I was in The Fuzztones so that's basically what I played. Before that I used my 67 Gibson EB2, the one in my profile picture. I was going for that Yardbirds sound. They used the Epiphone Rivoli, which was basically the same instrument. The Phantom's look cool, but I never liked the feel of the neck. My buddy Ryan who plays in a local SoCal band called Thee Spectors has the coolest Phantom ever. I'll try and get him to join & post some photos.

Luke Greenwood said:

you use to be in the fuzztones yeah? do you have any cool phantoms you can post pics of in here?

John Carlucci said:

Hey, you look familiar to me!

• September 10, 2011 10:42 AM CDT
    • Nice! love the blue finish!

DammitDave said:

Burns Cobra and a Vox combo that I played on vacation.  You can't keep from playing Shadows licks:

Burns Cobra and a Vox combo

• September 10, 2011 8:43 PM CDT
    • I guess a lot of the meat of this discussion depends on what you consider garage and what you don't.

In my humble opinion, there is more to garage than just influences and all garage did not descend from the 60s British Invasion (which I think (Rock History Blasphemy Warning) we could have lived without in America) as many would have us believe. Buddy Holly was recording his songs (played in a garage) in the fifties using Lo-fi equipment and his drummer thumping a cardboard box on Not Fade Away.

For my part, if it's too clean,polished and processed, it ain't garage.

I call my music "Garage" cause that's where I write it, play it and often record it. I realize too, that the conventional definition of the "G" word probably means something different to most people.   

• September 10, 2011 7:12 PM CDT
    • Oh my god this is so truuuue. Which is why I try to play as many of the more obscure 60's Garage Bands on my show as I can. Also..thanks to the previous folks who agreed with my post.

Jon said:

yes. trendy as fck.. i have a DJ night where I play tons of BFTG tunes, stuff from all those awesome comps from Teenage Shutdown to the Quagmire series, but people don't seem intrested in really knowing the genre. as well as more current garagepunk band... instead tons of people go out to this other night where they play nothing outside the Nuggets comp and even then its usually only the Sonics, sometimes 13th floor elevators and a bunch of other top 40 tracks from the 60's and people are always at shows trying to brag about how much they know about "garage" and how good it is but can never talk any further than the sonics, mummies, gories, white stripes, and the black lips.

• September 10, 2011 3:01 PM CDT
    • yes. trendy as fck.. i have a DJ night where I play tons of BFTG tunes, stuff from all those awesome comps from Teenage Shutdown to the Quagmire series, but people don't seem intrested in really knowing the genre. as well as more current garagepunk band... instead tons of people go out to this other night where they play nothing outside the Nuggets comp and even then its usually only the Sonics, sometimes 13th floor elevators and a bunch of other top 40 tracks from the 60's and people are always at shows trying to brag about how much they know about "garage" and how good it is but can never talk any further than the sonics, mummies, gories, white stripes, and the black lips.

• September 10, 2011 12:03 PM CDT
    • Or tell the Monks to forget about the banjo.

John Carlucci said:

I totally agree with this part of your post. I've always hated labels. I feel that having preconceived notions and rules in any specific genre stifles creativity. Think about it, if the 13th Floor Elevators were a new band starting out today, how many people would say, "You can't have a jug player in a Garage Band!" lol! 

• September 10, 2011 11:22 AM CDT
    • I totally agree with this part of your post. I've always hated labels. I feel that having preconceived notions and rules in any specific genre stifles creativity. Think about it, if the 13th Floor Elevators were a new band starting out today, how many people would say, "You can't have a jug player in a Garage Band!" lol!

Old School Hero said:.

On a side note: I do think it could go big in a real and honest way. I think this because there are a ton of people who can't stand rap or techno..and that's all you have a choice to dance to these days. I find that pure Rock 'n Roll is quite dancable and could make a huge comeback if done by the right bands, with the right DJ's, and the right people starting it.

• September 10, 2011 3:13 PM CDT
    • finally had some extra cash to spend, only really wanted to go to the Thursday show, which was thankfully still available, though it would have been awesome to check out the Friday show, but it sold out too soon...

• September 10, 2011 1:16 AM CDT
    • Show #340: "Bands & Artists Starting With G, Part 6" playlist:

The Gremlins [NZ]- "Blast Off 1970"
      The Gremlins [US] - "Wait"
      Greta Ann - "Sadness Hides The Sun"
      Marc Grey - "My First Day Without You"
      Greyhound - "I've Been Trying"
      Greylock Mansion - "Over My Shoulder"
      Griffin - "I Am The Noise In Your Head"
      Marcia Griffiths - "Melody Life"
      The Grifs - "Catch A Ride"
      Carol Grimes & Delivery - "Blind To Your Light"
      Bob Grimm - "It Never Stays The Same"
      Grin - "Like Rain"
      Grisby Dyke - "Mary Ann She"
      Grobschnitt - "Nickel-Odeon"
      The Grodeck Whipperjenny - "Sitting Here On A Tongue"
      The Grodes - "What They Say About Love"
      Groep 1850 - "Little Fly"
      The Groop [AUS] - "Such A Lovely Way"
      The Groop [CA] - "I Try To Think Of You When I Can"
      The Groop [OH] - "[unknown title aka 'Alright!']"
      Groop Therapy - "Ronnie, Ronnie"
      Grootna - "Full Time Woman"
      The Groove - "The Wind"
      Groovie Goolies - "Cling, Clang"
      The Gross National Product - "Cover Girl"
      Luther Grosvenor - "Waiting"
      The Grotesque Mommies - "One Night Stand"
      Groundhogs - "Cherry Red"
      Groundspeed - "L-12 East"
      The Group [FL] - "Land Of Lakes"
      The Group [IA] - "Why Does My Head Go Boom"
      The Group [OH] - "What Could I Do"
      Group Axis - "Silly Ants"
      The Group Image - "Banana Split"
      Group Nine - "Nights For Laughing"
      Group $oall - "Will You Teach Me How To Love"
      Group Therapy [NL] - "Silhouetted Summer Dream"
      Group Therapy [US] - "Magic In The Air"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/340.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/340.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live, listen to past shows, view playlists, etc…check out my website: eggmanrulez.com/ or wscafm.org (or portsmouthcommunityradio.org) Friday nights at 10pm EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg