Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• October 26, 2013 8:49 PM CDT
    • Two song I hate myself for liking to sing:

"N-word Rich" by the Oblivians

"P*ssy Stank" by Andre Williams

Both songs are really catchy and are great groovers, but being African-American male who really loves women, I just can't be singing those songs while walking down the street.     

• October 26, 2013 11:53 AM CDT
    • Right, thanks. It's the Revenge albums I have with the Bob Mitchum and John Wayne covers and they are called 1st to pay and 2nd wave. They were on Spotify even which is where I first heard them.

Looking at the track listing for The 1st and the last it's made up tracks from the Revenge albums so I guess it's bits from 2 gigs. Sad; I hoped there was another recorded gig I hadn't heard.

I know it's not Radio Birdman but with 3 members playing in New Race and quite a few Birdman numbers I can't imagine any Birdman fans not loving New Race. It's the drums i love; Thompson is pretty full on. Having said that Ron Keeley is a magnificent drummer. It's just nice to hear the Birdman 3 enjoying playing with their heroes. 

Still haven't see Radio Birdman. Hope I get the chance one day.

• October 25, 2013 4:26 PM CDT
    • The LP , "The First and The Last" by The New Race came out not long after their one tour of Australia, and their only tour , ever. The band is not to be mistaken for Radio Birdman . They were 3 key ex - members ,  with special guests , Ron Asheton and Dennis Thompson. A CD reissue WAS RELEASED MANY YEARS LATER , with a couple of bonus tracks , that's true.    Revenge Records in France put out two LPs (One with Robert Mitchum on the cover , the other with John Wayne....I forget the titles , don't have 'em handy , right now.), later on , from two different gigs on that tour . I'm sure , they , too , could have been reissued with different titles , on CD . Not sure. THERE'S PROBABLY BOOTLEGS , TOO , THO' REVENGE HAS BEEN CITED AS AN ILLEGIT OPERATION , THEMSELVES (They have put out great stuff , tho').

• October 23, 2013 3:26 AM CDT
    • Hi fans of Radio Birdman, Stooges and MC5,

I have the New Race albums 1st To Pay and 2nd Wave but I've read somewhere on this forum of a 3rd album. The 2 I have are amazing so can anyone tell me anything about the other album which I have no info about?

Thanks

Ian

• October 26, 2013 7:43 AM CDT
    • Kaseciarz review: http://weirddecibels.wordpress.com/2013/10/25/pabs-unsigned-adventure-2-kaseciarz/

• October 23, 2013 12:34 PM CDT
    • Maybe not the best band in the world, but probalby only surf band in Poland is called Kaseciarz:

http://kaseciarz.bandcamp.com/

• October 21, 2013 1:03 PM CDT
    • I dig the Exotics from Milwaukee--they are great.  YINYWL from Sweden are cool too.

• October 25, 2013 6:41 PM CDT
    • Radio What Wave Playlist October 24/2013

1. The Seeds...Pushin' Too Hard...from the recent GNP Crescendo release of the first Seeds LP on  CD. Remastered mono with bonus tracks and the other LP's are to follow.

2. The Mongrels...Piece Of Crap....from their Radio WW Session May 2/2013. The Mongrels are playing Saturday at the St Regis Hotel.

3. THE....Grilled Cheese...demo and they are playing saturday at the APK.

4. The Mogs...See The Mornin'...90's recording. This band has reformed and is playing in Hamilton on Friday Nov 8th...this is a What Wave presentation.

5. Dead City Soul Review....Burnin'...recent recording of this band that was known as The Hook Up until recently. They'll be recording for a full length release here in London in a couple of months.

Dead City Soul Review, Hamilton July 18 2013

6. Mere Humans....Temple....brand new demo from this Ottawa combo. 2 of the members were in The Evil Farm Children, a band we brought to London several times. They had the coolest T shirts of which i still wear mine proudly!

7. Black Rainbows...It's Blood....from the I Met This Chick...CD. Toronto combo and you have to ask them what this song is about.

8. Los Chicos Problema....El Plan...from their brand new CD, Estremecete Y Rueda!. Mexican duo of bass and drums that rock really hard!

9. Bitchlove...Now With Frosting....brand new release from this London one man band, soon to be released on record as Stigma.

10. Bloodshot Bill...Ding Dong Baby....a 7" on Hog Maw Records that i picked up when BB was in town a coupla weeks back.

Bloodshot Bill at Call The Office Oct 4/2013

11. The Diodes...Tired Of Waking Up Tired...live recording from 1978 w/manager Ralph Alfonso doing the intro.

The Diodes, Call The Office Nov 18 2011

12. 10 Commandments...Behind Those Eyes...demo from the early 90's of a Diodes song and this appeared on a WW compilation cassette.

10 Commandments, Key West, London Ontario March 12 1988

13. Fireball Grant...Evolution Blues...from his recent demo. Fireball Grant will be playing live on Radio WW next week, Oct 31st as part of our Halloween and fund raising special.

Fireball Grant at Call The Office, Oct 4 2013

14. Orie Hitt Machines....Killer Inside Me....local mystery combo.

15. Fred McDowell...Shake 'me Down....from an LP called Mississippi Swamp Jam on Blue Thumb...double LP i picked up at a London Record show a coupla years back. The London Record show happens this sunday from 11AM to 5 PM at Centennial Hall. I'll be at the CHRW table.

16. Flamin' Groovies...Let Me Rock...from a Marilyn LP, Chris Wilson and The Flamin' Groovies... The Flamin' Groovies are coming to Toronto, Wednesday Nov 6th, Lee's Palace. First time in 32 years they've been to Toronto!

The infamous Cyril Jordan guitars. 1/20/2009 Hamilton

17. Flamin' Groovies...First Plane Home...from the Jumpin' In The Night LP.

18. Flamin' Groovies...Yeah My Baby...from the Now LP.

19. Higher State... Need To Shine...from their brand new self titled CD on 13 O'Clock Records. UK combo and this is about their fifth CD/record.

20. Arthur Alexander...The Girl That Radiates That Charm....from the ACE re-issue from the early 80's. This was a record that i picked up at a London Record Show.The London Record Show is happening on Sunday, 11AM till 5PM at Centennial Hall, lower level.

21. Jackie Wilson and Laverne Baker....Think Twice....from the compilation LP, If It Ain't A Hit, I'll Eat My... Another record picked up at the London Record Show.

22. Dr. Feelgood...She's A Windup....from the Be Seeing Yo u LP from 1978. This is for guitarist Gypie Mayo who passed away this week. Gypie had the task of replacing Wilko Johnson and was able to fill the shoes!!

23. Ultimatemost High....Tonight Alright...demo from this Toronto garage rock combo.

24. Smokestack Lightning....Volcano....demo from this Toronto Oshawa combo who feature some former Purple Toads and a UIC member.

Smokestack Lightning, This Ain't Hollywood July 18 2013

25. Big Al Downing...Georgia Slop...from the compilation LP, Twistin' Rumble Volume 3. Big Al at one time was the piano player for Wanda Jackson.

Big thanx for all the kind words of encouragement via phone, email, facebook message etc!!! All appreciated greatly!!!

Next week, we've got the pride of Watford Ontario (or is he the local guy they talk about?), the one and only Fireball Grant! One man band extrordinaire,  Fireball is going to be performing live over the airwaves on next week's edition of Radio WW!! And then we'll talk to him later and try to find out why they call him Fireball!

And next week is fundraising time here at CHRW. Phone in to pledge during the show, or use the handy webform on the CHRW website. Either way, all donations are welcome and if you donate $20 or more, you get a receipt for your taxes. The money  raised is used to outfit the station with new equipment. Since i've been at CHRW (over 9 years) there have been many  changes to the onair studio, everything from the mixing board, wavecart, microphones, speakers, cassette deck have all been replaced/upgraded! This stuff  isn't cheap and you want us to sound as good as possible so keep a pledge in mind for next week!

All pictures used above, from the What Wave Archives. Please don't reproduce without permission.

Here's a link to the podcast for this show:

http://chrwradio.ca/content/radio-what-wave

• October 25, 2013 1:39 PM CDT
    • My program for October 22nd, featured music from Public Image Limited, Television, Neon Boys, The Spys, XTC, Monomyth. 

The play list:

1.  Monomyth – Trash Day

2.  Astral Gunk – Herky Jerky

3.  The Crescendos – Now She’s Mine

5.  Screaming Lord Sutch & The Savages – Dracula’s Daughter

6.  Luke Thompson & The Howl – Stack O’Lee

7.  Breeze – Serve The Servants

8.  Hooded Fang – Tourette’s

9.  Luck of Eden Hall – Sassafras Overcoat

10. Teenage Fanclub – Slow Fade

11. Sebadoh – Oxygen

12. Frantic Elevators - Hunchbank Of Notre Dame

13. Toy Dolls - She Goes To Finos 

14. The Teardops – Colors

15. Tanz Der Youth – Delay

16. Unknown Mortal Orchestra – Faded In the Morning (Acoustic Version)

17. Lost Patrol – And I Walked Out

18. Television – Careful (Brian Eno Demo)

19. The Neon Boys – High Heeled Wheels

20. Thee Rum Coves – GCSB

21. The Spy’s – Underground

22. XTC – Statue of Liberty

23. Public Image Limited – Fodderstompf

Stream/download this podcast here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20131022-1030-t1382434200.mp3

My blog post on The Neon Boys:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2013/10/the-neon-boys-show-478.html

• October 21, 2013 8:33 PM CDT
    • My podcast for October 15th, 2013 focused on the new Nirvana In Utero re-issue.  Also played some songs from Duane Eddy, Tricky Woo, and a cool new garage band called Shady & the Vamp.  Also played some more music from the new Clash boxed set, Sound System. 

this week's play list:

1.  Shady & The Vamp – Let Me Know

2.  Teenanger – Singles Don’t $ell

3.  Tricky Woo – Allright

4.  The Orwells – Open Your Eyes

5.  Arctic Monkeys – Fireside

6.  Dr. Dog – Minding The Usher

7.  The Stance – Sweet Tooth

8. Shooz – Rocking Out To Montreal

9. Dice – Tired Of Living Like This

10. The Blokes – All American Girl

11. The Bad Seeds – A Taste of The Same

12. Duane Eddy – Kommotion

13. Racoon Wedding – Local Ghosts

14. Cousins – Crew

15. Construction & Destruction – Waving At Ships

16. Nirvana – Serve The Servants (2013 Mix)

17. Nirvana – Forgotten Tune

18. Nirvana – The Man Who Sold The World (MTV Live & Loud 1993)

19. Golden Grrls – Take Your Time

20. Elvis Costello & The Roots – Walk Us Uptown

21. The Clash – Innoculated City

22. The Clash – 1977 (Beaconsfield Demo 1976)

23. The Clash – City of the Dead (Live The Lyceum December, 28, 1979)

Download/listen to the podcast here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20131015-1030-t1381829401.mp3

Also here is a blog post I did about Nirvana's In Utero 20th anniversary:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2013/10/in-utero-20-years-later-show-477.html

• October 24, 2013 12:17 AM CDT
    • I've been enjoying The Night Beats' new album Sonic Bloom lately. They're somewhere between Thee Oh Sees and The Black Angels

• October 23, 2013 2:53 PM CDT
    • I have been doing a garage punk psych new wave radio show since 1982.  I am on ALTERNATING Saturdays from 1:00-3:00PM EST. The show is on 89.7 WITR-FM in Rochester, NY or streaming live at http://witr.rit.edu.

Playlists and show dates can be found here:  http://garagepunk.com/forums/topic/1459/punk-garage-radio-show-from-roch/view/page/4

I usually post to this forum a few hours before the show and on Facebook. 

• October 23, 2013 12:50 PM CDT
    • Mad Jack & The Hatters:

• October 23, 2013 6:27 AM CDT
    • There was really bad disco and really bad punk, such as The Pork Dukes and The English Monks, who were an offshoot of The Strawbs ( a prog rock band).

Just a thought: With all the drugs in the disco scene and AIDS, is it any wonder why many kids became straight edge?

• October 23, 2013 3:58 AM CDT
    • At the time as a kid I hated it but then again punks scared me. Now i like some of it. It sounds like it came from a happy carefree, almost innocent time, a bit like glam rock does. I know the times were not like this but then again for gay New yorkers it was a time when they had been legitimised somewhat but before AIDS.

Disco Sucks seemed unkind. Of course there was shit like Disco Duck but there were some great funky grooves and proto-techno (especially from the euro scene). Don't forget there was shit bandwagon jumping punk too (1988 Activator by Steve Hillage or the Monks (not the 60s tonsured Monks).

I can't get into the superstar dj thing myself but think about it; suddenly you could make huge crowds dance without musical virtuosity or much equipment. It was music of the people before Studio 54 and similar elitist attitudes ruined it.

So love your disco and love your punk; they were both revolutionary.

• October 21, 2013 4:52 PM CDT
    • Lil' Pete said:
      I'm too young to appreciate disco's hey day but from what I've read, a lot of anti-disco mentality at the time had to do with society being rather racists and homophobic since disco was born of the two subcultures in America.

Not neccessarily, there were also legitimate artistic reasons to be critical of disco that were overlooked. Jello Biafra of the Dead Kennedys likened Disco to the cabaret of Weimar Germany, he regarded it as apathetic and politically disconnected. Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo likened it to "a beautiful woman with a great body and no brains" (Ris Low, anyone?), which is quite unfortunate. I even think of one of disco's descendents, Lady Gaga, as quite vaccuous and superficial. She portrays herself as avant-garde, but I find her so formulaic that she seemingly has no original creative thoughts of her own. She just copies what went before and everyone thinks she is original, look at the meat dress as a case in point (it was created in the 1980's).

Personally, I think Madonna should retire because someone old enough to be my mother acting like a 19 year old stripper on stage makes me cringe. Her act doesn't shock, I find it contrived and formulaic. Tim Westwood is the same, an aging ang moh acting like he is from South Central Los Angeles, with this patronising "down with the youth" spiel. I think he's just another Smashie and Nicey, though someone told me he was just another version of Jim Davidson with tunes for the kids.    

• October 23, 2013 5:58 AM CDT
    • I think GG is a compelling character, but even more so were the other members of the Murder Junkies esp drummer Dino Sex. Strangely a good place to start I reckon isn't a record but is the Hated dvd for good insights into the characters. A dvd called live and pissed shows him in a much more dynamic setting going pretty apeshit and not just shambling around trying to hit people like a punch drunk old boxer. It's a pretty tense affair with the audience as interesting as he is. 

music wise, he's a bit hit and miss in my opinion. My advice is go to Spotify first as there's loads there. Youtube has got some cool stuff too. One of my favourite clips was of someone pissing on GGs grave and Merle his brother sauntering down and smacking said 'fan' over the head with his acoustic guitar!

I have 'you give love a bad name' which is pretty rough but wth some good stuff and some scary as hell stuff (I'm a rapest (sic)). The ROIR hated in the nation set has demos and live recordings. He even did a country album. Some of his stuff is pretty duff like the sub sub heavy metal of 'live fast die fast' and its funny as hell video.

GG's trouble I think was that he would ruin things by going on Gerry Springer type shows being a wild punk rocker; he should have retained some mystique.

• October 23, 2013 4:09 AM CDT
    • The MC5 are cool, the Stooges are cooler. Who'd win a fight? The Stooges but only cos Scott Asheton would take them all on single handed. Iggy would have beat himself up, Ron Asheton would have hid and Dave Alexander would have been drunk and sniggered in a snide kind of way! 

• October 23, 2013 3:47 AM CDT
    • Hi

I read that 3 tracks didn't get used on Ya Know. 1 is Duke of Earl which is on Youtube, but what about the other 2? what are they and can they be listened to/ downloaded anywhere?

Thanks

Ian

• October 23, 2013 3:30 AM CDT
    • Rudi Protrudi surely although  Lance D'Boyle from the Poison Girls is a good one. I was in a band once with Zen Spacker which still makes me smile.

• October 23, 2013 1:10 AM CDT
    • Thanks. I'll check these out.

• October 22, 2013 12:23 PM CDT
    • If you go to the main forum view for Shakin' Street and do a search from within this forum for "radio," you can find a lot of topics about various radio shows. Here are a couple that compile some various shows, though:

http://garagepunk.com/forums/topic/1465/good-campus-radio-shows-in-your
      http://garagepunk.com/forums/topic/439/underground-online-college-commu

• October 22, 2013 3:01 AM CDT
    • Maybe I'm hallucinating, but I seem to remember someone compiling a master list of known GaragePunk-oriented radio shows. Is that still floating around here anywhere? I'd likle to publish such a thing on my music blog..

If there's not such a list available, maybe we could start compiling one right here. 

If you have a show and would like to be included, respond to this with something like this:

Terrell's Sound World

Host: Steve Terrell

KSFR 101. FM Santa Fe, N.M.

10 p.m. to midnight Sundays Mountain Time 

Webcasting live at http://www.ksfr.org  (not archived)

Plalists at http://steveterrell.blogspot.com/search/label/soundworld

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TerrellsSoundWorld

• October 22, 2013 10:14 PM CDT
    • Love this record! Can't stop playing it.