Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• October 2, 2013 7:56 PM CDT
    • has anyone seen Good Vibrations ? and any copies available here in the states

• October 2, 2013 1:08 PM CDT
    • Yeah, yes!  Kopper, please!!!Wink

• October 2, 2013 11:59 AM CDT
    • Obviously we need to get video embedding fixed...

• October 1, 2013 5:41 PM CDT
    • This week's program featured music from Thee Oh Sees, music from The Clash's Soundsystem boxed set, Chelsea and interview with the singer/songwritter in Papermaps, whose new album has many post punk moments. 

This week's play list:

1.  Temples – Shelter Song

2.  The Fiends - Grave Digger

3.  Mules – True Love

4.  Golden Calgarians – Party In The Sun

5.  Little Roosters – The Age Of Reason

6.  Franz Ferdinand – Bullet

7.  Chelsea – Right To Work

8. Frantic Elevators - Voice In The Dark

9.  Ry Cooder – Boomer’s Story

10. James OL – Yellow Gold

11. Papermaps – Shadow Theatre

DEAN MARINO PAPERMAPS DARKER LIGHTS INTERVIEW

12. Papermaps – One By One

13. Wah! Heat! – 7000 Names of Wah

14. The Swingin’ Machine – Do You Have To Ask

15. Wes Dakus & The Club 93 Rebels – El Ringo

16. Les Ramrods – Out Front

17. Thee Oh Sees – Heart Sweats

18. Sham 69 – (There’s Gonna Be A) Borstal Breakout

19. The Vibrators – Into The Future…

20. The Clash – Protex Blue

21. The Clash – 48 Hours

22. The Clash – English Civil War

Download/listen to the podcast here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20131001-1030-t1380619800.mp3

Cehck out my blog post here:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2013/10/darker-lights-interview-show-475.html?spref=fb

• October 1, 2013 9:32 AM CDT
    • Check it out! The new issue of the New Untouchables NUTsMAG is online here http://www.newuntouchables.com/nutsmag/ which include the official Brighton Weekender video, Women’s fashion, Eel Pie Island, Jump The Gun story, Euro YeYe review and photos, Scooter tips, Newbreed band The 45’s interview, Hey Mr DJ with Martin Gavin and a dozen record reviews by Graham Lentz.

• October 1, 2013 8:44 AM CDT
    • Voodoo Rhythm is a cool label. Dead Brothers are great. Never heard of Mama Rosin before. Very good cajun punk. I love it. Thanks!

• September 28, 2013 1:35 PM CDT
    • Voodoo Rhythm Records have some great bands on their label:

• September 28, 2013 8:37 AM CDT
    • Hey what's the best new release around? Name one record you really dig. I'm interested to hear some good new stuff. Any recommendations?

• September 28, 2013 8:05 AM CDT
    • What's Inside A Girl lyrics: "The King of Siam sent a telegram sayin', Wop bop a loop a lop a lop boom bam"

Who signs the song w/ this same phrase on LAIF vol 14?? There's no artist info. The song is hilarious story about this guitar playing kid who becomes a big star.

• September 28, 2013 6:51 AM CDT
    • The Ramones were the boys who really revived rock'n'roll from dreary prog and MOR bullshit and I love them for that. Every song they did was brilliant, they never really put a foot wrong. My favourite songs? The whole of the first three albums, especially the tunes that influenced indie pop acts like The Primitives or The Pastels. 

Who were the most Ramones-like/influenced indie pop act? 

• September 26, 2013 9:10 AM CDT
    • Just learned this past week that when the Ramones covered "Come on lets go" with the Paley Brothers on vocals, it was in 1977 with TOMMY on drums! I always thought it was recorded with Marky in '78 or '79. But apparently it was in 1977. Even says "produced by T-Erdelyi" on the single version. Mind blown

• September 27, 2013 6:32 PM CDT
    • Radio What Wave Playlist Sept 26 2013.....Interview with Timothy Gassen of The Marshmallow Overcoat

1. The Gruesomes....You're Not The Boss Of Me....from the Cave In CD from 2000. Since this show is an almost all garage special, we started with the band the world associates with the garage scene here in Canada, The Gruesomes, The Teen Tyrants of Trash!!

3 of the 4 Gruesomes at WW HQ's, late 80's.

2. The Gruesomes...What Wave...from Mr Garager's Neighbourhood LP from 1989. We used to start the show each week with this tune and it's only fitting we bring it out tonite.

3. Marshamallow Overcoat...She's So Satisfyin'....from the Inner Groove LP from 1987. Tried to get the Frankenstein 5 cassette playing, but i couldn't get the cassette deck working. Luckily Adulis, our Program Director was around and pointed out my obvious screwup!!

4. Marshmallow Overcoat...Echoes In Time....From the Try On....LP from 1987. At this point, we were joined by Timothy Gassen on the hotline from Tucson, to tell us all about the Kickstarter Campaign to raise funds to release a double LP, gatefold sleeved, coloured vinyl best of The Marshmallow Overcoat. We also talked about Timothy's Knight's Of Fuzz book, whose 3rd edition he hopes to have out later this year. This is the bible for 80's garage/psych fans!! And we talked about Tim's involvement in the WHA Hall Of Fame, as he's not only the president, but the founder. This is a Canadian show, so we had to talk some hockey from the good old days!!

Here's a link to Timothy's kickstarter campaign

http://kck.st/15q22tn

5. Marshmallow Overcoat....Ahhhhhhhh.....recorded live at Call The Office April 11/1989. This was the only time The Marshmallow Overcoat played here in London Ontario.

Timothy at Call The Office, 4/11/89.

6. Purple Merkins...Get On This Plane....a 7" that came with WW zine 22. The Purple Merkins were The Marshmallow Overcoat with a few slight changes....fuzzier, noisier and a roving cast of members. There is an excellent best of Purple Merkins on Dionysus Records that is worth searching out.

7. Boy From Nowhere....Train Kept A Rollin'....from Slippery's Club Hits, the cassette that came with WW #24. Available locally at Grooves, Speed City, LA Mood, The Village Idiot and Phantastica. The Boy From Nowhere were the first 80's garage band from London Ontario, formed in the early 80's after The Hippies broke up and lasted to about 1990. They are doing a special reunion gig on Saturday Oct 5th at the Town And Country Tavern for Kelly Hippys Birthday Bash! I'll be DJ'ing and all are invited to this special night!

Boy From Nowhere....prmor shot, mid 80's

8. Boy From Nowhere...Heart Full Of Soul....from Thee Cave Comes Alive LP on Action Records. This is a compilation LP of some of the garagiest tunes that were on the WW cassettes that came free with the zine.

9. Boy From Nowhere....Hot Smoke And Sassafrass....recorded live at Langarth Bar and Grill Nov 1/1986.Boy From Nowhere got their name from the DMZ song of the same name.

10. Boy From Nowhere...Shake....as above.

11. UIC...Anything At All....from the Wiseman Sessions CD. UIC shared many  a stage with Boy From Nowhere.

12. Flying Squad...The Letter....a mid 80's demo and like UIC, these guys shared many a stage with Boy From Nowhere.

The Flying Squad 1989, Civitan Club

13. The Mongrols...Play My Guitar...1987 demo from another band that shared many a stage with Boy From Nowhere.

The Mongrols late 80's

14.The Hippies....Can Teens...from Slippery's Club Hits cassette.

15. Tenement 13...Underworld...early 80's demo. This is the Hippies under a different name...why? Who knows.

16. The Hippies....Nuclear Disaster....from their only 7".

17. Young Fast And Scientific...You Told Me....a demo from this band that features Kelly Hippy on lead vocals.

18. The Mongrels...No More Tears....from their Radio WW session that aired 5/2/13.

19. Lost Patrol....No Escape...from their first 7". Windsor based garage combo who played London many times.

Lost Patrol at Call The Office May 12/1989. Notice that ultra suave T-shirt Dave is wearing!

20. The Evil Hoodoos...Mary Had A Little Lamb....early 90's demo. Some of the Boy From Nowhere and Frankenstein5 were in this combo.

21. The Evil Hoodoos...Beg and Plead....as above. This song appeared on a WW cassette at one time.

Big thanx to Timothy Gassen phoning in to yammer about his upcoming record, book and all things garage as he knows his stuff!!!

And thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Heys!! Back again next week with lots more tunes!!

Here's a link to the archived show::

http://chrwradio.ca/content/radio-what-wave

• September 26, 2013 9:07 AM CDT
    • Mc5-Back in the USA is one of my favourite albums of all time.

So for one singular album, I choose Mc5.

But if i were to make a best of mix, I think the Stooges have better material spread overall.  "I got a right", "gimmi some skin", "raw power", "You're pretty face is..", "Search and destroy", "Shake appeal", "Loose", "Tv Eye", "No Fun", "1969", "1970"...phew! The list goes on.

• September 24, 2013 7:21 AM CDT
    • MC5's "Kick Out the Jams" is one of my favorite songs ever, and it's infinitely more playable than any one individual The Stooges song.  However, I think The Stooges are a better band, and I'd listen to a whole The Stooges album any day over a whole MC5 album.  Any of the original three The Stooges records are just absolute monsters.  Don't know if I could pick a favorite.

• September 24, 2013 11:51 AM CDT
    • The Trip! Sept 22nd 2013!  

Listen here!  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20130922-0030-t1379806201.mp3

The setlist!

LLOYD PRICE - STAGGER LEE
      RONNIE LOVE - DETROIT MICHIGAN
      PAT & THE WILDCATS - THE GIGGLER
      BRAEN'S MACHINE - FLYING
      BILL HALEY AND HIS COMETS - 13 WOMEN
      THE ANSWER - WHY YOU SMILE
      THE SOUL SURVIVORS - HEY GYP
      THE ADVENTURERS - MASHED POTATOES
      THANE RUSSELL & THREE - SECURITY
      THE EXTREMES - LONG DARK COLLAR
      CARL PERKINS - TENNESSEE
      BILLY STORM & THE VALIANTS - SCREWDRIVER
      MAC CURTIS - IF I HAD ME A WOMAN
      13TH FLOOR ELEVATORS - SHE LIVES (IN A TIME OF HER OWN)
      THE RED KRAYOLA- PARABLE OF ARABLE LAND
      THE MONKS - OH HOW TO DO NOW
      THE GRAHAM BOND ORGANISATION - NEIGHBOUR NEIGHBOUR
      THE CREATION - BIFF BANG POW!
      THE AVENGERS - CAR CRASH
      THE OBLIVIANS - CALL THE POLICE
      DETROIT COBRAS - NOW YOU'RE GONE
      MACK SELF - I VIBRATE
      TAKESHI TERUACHI & THE BLUE JEANS- SORAN BUSHI
      THE ZOMBIES- STICKS AND STONES
      KING KHAN & THE SHRINES - SABA LOU
      PHIL PHILLIPS - THE EVIL DOPE

• September 23, 2013 7:58 PM CDT
    • Playlist 09/21/13

Bob Mould Star Machine
      New Bomb Turks (The Cure For) The Common Cold Shoulder
      Buzzcocks Harmony In My Head
      Saints One Way Street
      Q'65 Cry In The Night
      Birds Say Those Magic Words
      Mike Burnett Saying Things
      Daniel Paul Revelation Reflections of Mine
      Nomads 20,000 Miles
      Wyldelife The Right!
      Superchunk FOH
      Diarrhea Planet Hammer of the Gods
      Lyres How Do You Know
      Miracle Workers Infected With You
      Stems Jumping to Conclusions
      Mal Thursday and the Cheetahs That's Your Problem
      Richard Hell & the Voidoids Blank Generation
      Jawbreaker Iminginary War
      X Universal Corner
      Divine Horseman What is Red
      True West Lucifer Sam
      Watermelon Men Back In My Dreams
      Vipers Medication
      Silver Chalice (I Wanna Hear Some) Lies
      War Party Different Definition of Love
      Woggles Say Goodbye to a Dream
      Mysteios Biker Girl In Love
      Persians Claws You're Gonna Leave
      Mighty Lemon Drops Happy Head
      Primitives Crash
      Mobbs When You Find Out
      Cosmic Psychos Alright Tonight
      Walking Who Have You Seen The Clours
      Bailterspace Tri5
      King Khan & The Shrines Born To Die
      Hunx and His Punx Mud In Your Eyes
      Barrence Whitfield & The Savages Corner Man

• September 23, 2013 2:56 PM CDT
    • Someone has a copy for sale?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.boo-hooray.com/2013/08/12/back-from-the-grave-available-for-trade/

Back From the Grave en masse

Bruno

• September 23, 2013 2:46 PM CDT
    •  

I ordered mine!!!

https://www.facebook.com/notes/mort-todd/back-from-the-grave-limited-edition-silk-screen/495071917239177

http://getvex.com/grave.html

Bruno

• September 22, 2013 7:45 PM CDT
    • Dead Boy said:

Hello.  Have you heard Big Foot Chester's 7" "Harpoon Man"?  "What Have I Done" on the B-side is killer cover version of Jimmy Rogers!!!

Though, I heard the original version for the first time today.Embarassed

http://youtu.be/D4TnLWd06ag

How about the Outsiders' "Won't You Listen"?

http://youtu.be/17756cDZ1E4

First time hearing Big Foot Chester and I dig it, first thing that came up for Harpoon Man was a live video of them with dualing harps, super sick. 

Jimmy Rogers is the man! And That Outsiders track kicked ass. Great suggestions!

• September 22, 2013 7:18 PM CDT
    • Thanks guys, these are great! Much appreciated!

• September 21, 2013 11:15 PM CDT
    • You bet.  Another amazing song from a current band:

• September 21, 2013 7:48 PM CDT
    • Awesome track, thanks alot Joe.