Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• April 5, 2013 3:18 PM CDT
    • White Fence do it again. Fabulous. Give'em yer cash!

• April 5, 2013 1:32 PM CDT
    • I'M NOT A BIG BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD FAN , AND LESS OF A NEIL YOUNG SOLO FAN , WHICH , I KNOW , COULD GET MY US CITIZENSHIP AND ROCK FAN CREDENTIALS REVOKED , FOREVER. BUT , "MR. SOUL" , WITH IT'S CATCHY RIFF AND SMOKIN' PSYCH LEADS , HOLDS UP TO THIS DAY. 

Andy Climax said:

Not discovered today, obviously... But Re-discovered today. What a tune. Encapsulates all that is great and good (and individual) about our music. Stunning!

• April 5, 2013 11:43 AM CDT
    • Not discovered today, obviously... But Re-discovered today. What a tune. Encapsulates all that is great and good (and individual) about our music. Stunning!

• April 5, 2013 2:06 PM CDT
    • " Charlie was envious of me , because I'd already played with bands like Love and The Weeds (Lollipop Shoppe)." Bobby Beausoleil.

'If you can't trust a convicted mass - murderer , who CAN you trust?!" (Lux Interior , on learning that John Wayne Gacey had published some of his correspondence without permission.").

"Come on , Charles Manson would have blamed it on The Monkees , and , they were'nt even a GROUP !!!''    Sam Kinison.

• April 4, 2013 4:37 AM CDT
    • i am the devil, here to do the devils business......tex watson.

• April 5, 2013 1:42 PM CDT
    • Many , MANY years ago (Almost 30.), a friend said "U2 used to be an underground band , they had that RAW guitar sound like PIL". It's true , my Brother saw them on their first US tour at a small club that probably was'nt even full. They were still "Word of mouth" and UK mags like Trouser Press writing them up.... But , I remember Bone - O calling Flock of Seagulls "Flocks and Flocks of Stealers" for lifting their guitar sound from "A Day Without Me " from "Boy" , which is probably true. They commercialized part of U2's sound , then , U2 did , so , in effect . Flock of Fleagulls , having had hits in America , first ,  sort of paved the way for U2's US conquest......Still , The Edge , as far as I can tell , got a lot of his Guitar sound by taking the "Edge " off Keith Levine's sound on the first two PIL albums.
       Either way , we can stay young of mind , U2 will NOT go away , regardless of age or irrelevance.

Glenn Barton said:

Oh yeah, I had heard that one. It was good for another laugh, though!

John Battles said:

OK. iT'S KIND OF VISUAL , AND INVOLVES DIFFERENT ACCENTS , BUT , NO MATTER , HERE IT GOES......      

Bono is playing at a big benefit show in Scotland. At one point , he starts clapping his hands  , in time with the drummer, and he says , "FOR EVERY TIME I CLAP ME HANDS...ANOTHER CHILD IN AFRICA DIES !". A Scotsman near the stage replies , "THEN , WHY DOON'T YEH STOP , YEH EVIL BAHSTARD ?!!!".

Glenn Barton said:

No, hit me...

John Battles said:

ABSOLUTELY.
      "Bone Load" is pretty funny. I trust , all of you have heard the joke about BONE-LOAD performing in Scotland?  Maybe?
      Glenn Barton said:

I have a friend who wouldn't understand why he's been called Bone-load in these environs. Glad to see there are others who get the same vibe.

John Battles said:

Andy , You SAID it , and you said it so well. AS scary as the thought of Bone-O and Stink having Tantric sex  (With "The Modern Parents" probably there to advise them.) is.... Bone - O , in his egotistical self - absorption , makes like he's John Lennon Incarnate .

In a way , this is true. My Brother was in line with him , once, at a VERY posh restaurant in The Bahamas. They turned Bone-O away , because he was'nt properly attired. When my Brother told them who they'd just turned away , they just LAUGHED , and showed him a picture on the wall , saying "We turned them away , too , because they were'nt dressed." It was a picture of The Fucking Beatles. 

P.S. I think I only saw part of "The Man With Two Brains". Even though he's always worked , Martin's brand of humor wore itself thin in America....To the extent that ,
       even as far back as 1979 , when my Uncle took us to go see him , I half did'nt want to go. And , he was GREAT.
      Andy Climax said:

Bono's a cnut! His royal lowness will outlive life itself no doubt. Him and Sting will make sweet tantric love in the hopes of starting a race of 'super cnuts' put on this earth to bug the fuckin shit outta us with their whining. Early tests are proving positive as Chris Martin (Coldplay) and Newton Faulkner (Uber cnut) are proving haha. 'War' and 'Boy' were two great U2 albums but to mention any others with a straight face is impossible! George wrote 'Here Comes the Sun'. If ever a song would put Bono's career, bullshit and genuine lack of talent into sharp contrast, this is it. We can live in the knowledge that even if U2 last for another 100 years..... The Beatles did it first!!!

p.s The Man With Two Brains, for me was Steve Martin's finest hour (and a half)

• April 5, 2013 10:58 AM CDT
    • Oh yeah, I had heard that one. It was good for another laugh, though!

John Battles said:

OK. iT'S KIND OF VISUAL , AND INVOLVES DIFFERENT ACCENTS , BUT , NO MATTER , HERE IT GOES......      

Bono is playing at a big benefit show in Scotland. At one point , he starts clapping his hands  , in time with the drummer, and he says , "FOR EVERY TIME I CLAP ME HANDS...ANOTHER CHILD IN AFRICA DIES !". A Scotsman near the stage replies , "THEN , WHY DOON'T YEH STOP , YEH EVIL BAHSTARD ?!!!".

Glenn Barton said:

No, hit me...

John Battles said:

ABSOLUTELY.
      "Bone Load" is pretty funny. I trust , all of you have heard the joke about BONE-LOAD performing in Scotland?  Maybe?
      Glenn Barton said:

I have a friend who wouldn't understand why he's been called Bone-load in these environs. Glad to see there are others who get the same vibe.

John Battles said:

Andy , You SAID it , and you said it so well. AS scary as the thought of Bone-O and Stink having Tantric sex  (With "The Modern Parents" probably there to advise them.) is.... Bone - O , in his egotistical self - absorption , makes like he's John Lennon Incarnate .

In a way , this is true. My Brother was in line with him , once, at a VERY posh restaurant in The Bahamas. They turned Bone-O away , because he was'nt properly attired. When my Brother told them who they'd just turned away , they just LAUGHED , and showed him a picture on the wall , saying "We turned them away , too , because they were'nt dressed." It was a picture of The Fucking Beatles. 

P.S. I think I only saw part of "The Man With Two Brains". Even though he's always worked , Martin's brand of humor wore itself thin in America....To the extent that ,
       even as far back as 1979 , when my Uncle took us to go see him , I half did'nt want to go. And , he was GREAT.
      Andy Climax said:

Bono's a cnut! His royal lowness will outlive life itself no doubt. Him and Sting will make sweet tantric love in the hopes of starting a race of 'super cnuts' put on this earth to bug the fuckin shit outta us with their whining. Early tests are proving positive as Chris Martin (Coldplay) and Newton Faulkner (Uber cnut) are proving haha. 'War' and 'Boy' were two great U2 albums but to mention any others with a straight face is impossible! George wrote 'Here Comes the Sun'. If ever a song would put Bono's career, bullshit and genuine lack of talent into sharp contrast, this is it. We can live in the knowledge that even if U2 last for another 100 years..... The Beatles did it first!!!

• April 5, 2013 4:30 AM CDT
    • Very well then.. everything is hunky-dory! ;)

Mike said:

Tersicore,

Just playing. Boneva is one of countless prescription meds they pedal directly to consumers on TV here in the states. It's supposed to help with bone density if the side effects don't kill you first. And I'm in that age group too (47).

And I agree, you can do your thing and still take care of biz with your family. In fact I would say that a good majority of my nasty, degenerate punk friends turned out to be pretty good parents in the end. Most of their kids are pretty well adjusted and have their acts together, mine included if I say so myself.

• April 4, 2013 1:11 PM CDT
    • OK. iT'S KIND OF VISUAL , AND INVOLVES DIFFERENT ACCENTS , BUT , NO MATTER , HERE IT GOES......      

Glenn Barton said:

No, hit me...

John Battles said:

ABSOLUTELY.
      Glenn Barton said:

John Battles said:

Andy Climax said:

• April 4, 2013 10:54 AM CDT
    • No, hit me...

John Battles said:

ABSOLUTELY.
      Glenn Barton said:

John Battles said:

Andy Climax said:

• April 4, 2013 1:20 AM CDT
    • ABSOLUTELY.
      Glenn Barton said:

John Battles said:

Andy Climax said:

• April 3, 2013 10:39 PM CDT
    • I have a friend who wouldn't understand why he's been called Bone-load in these environs. Glad to see there are others who get the same vibe.

John Battles said:

Andy Climax said:

• April 5, 2013 11:31 AM CDT
    • Show #416: "Bands & Artists Starting With A, Part 8"

Every 3 weeks I do a series of shows I call the "Alphabetical Series" where I randomly draw a letter of the alphabet from a hat. Whatever letter I draw, I take all the bands and artists in my collection (from the 50's, 60's & 70's only) that start with that letter and play them in strict alphabetical order one by one until I run out of time. This week I drew the letter "A". This is the eighth time I've drawn the letter "A", so I will start from where I left off on show #7 (which was with Tony Ashton & Jon Lord). So, tune in tonight (Friday at 10:00pm EST) to hear 3 hours of bands and artists that start with "A" like: Ed Askew, Asoka, The Association, The Assortment, The Astors, 2 bands called Astral Projection, The Astronauts, The Astros, The Asylum Choir, Athanor, Glenn Athens & The Trojans, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Atlantic Bridge, The Atlantic Ocean, 2 different Atlantics, Atlantis, Atomic Rooster, 2 bands called Attack, and many others!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metaphysical-Circus-with-The-Eggman-An-Obscure-Oldies-Radio-Program/182326748511750
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• April 5, 2013 8:11 AM CDT
    • Last year's Munster Raving Loony Party was BLAST! 3 days of poolside craziness!

Tersicore said:

This sounds very cool... Thanx, hope to get there too.

Monster Mash Records said:

Did anyone mention this awesome swimmingpool party!?

Munster Raving Loony Party at Koppers hotel in Pineda de Mar, Spain!!

THE PARKINSONS (Portugal/uk) 
      HIPBONE SLIM & The KNEETREMBLERS (uk)
      THE HUSSY (usa)
      KING AUTOMATIC (france)
      DEAD ELVIS & HIS ONE MAN GRAVE (disgraceland)
      THEE GRAVEMEN (swe/uk)
      THE TOYOTAS (Germany)
      THE FELINES (Denmark)
      THE EVILTONES (uk)
      KING JARTHUR & his LORDS (Spain)
      THE VOLADORAS (Sweden)
      THE KNEEJERK REACTIONS (uk)
      LOS GLURPS (Spain)
      LEADFOOT LEE'S ONE MAN TRASH (uk)
      THE WILDMEN (Italy)
      ONE MAN BUZZ (Italy)
      ALL GIRL DJ crew
      SPOOKY PROM CINEMA

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Munster-Raving-Loony-Party/2284685172...

• April 5, 2013 4:44 AM CDT
    • This sounds very cool... Thanx, hope to get there too.

Monster Mash Records said:

Did anyone mention this awesome swimmingpool party!?

THE HUSSY (usa)
      KING AUTOMATIC (france)
      THEE GRAVEMEN (swe/uk)
      THE TOYOTAS (Germany)
      THE FELINES (Denmark)
      THE EVILTONES (uk)
      THE VOLADORAS (Sweden)
      LOS GLURPS (Spain)
      THE WILDMEN (Italy)
      ONE MAN BUZZ (Italy)
      ALL GIRL DJ crew
      SPOOKY PROM CINEMA

• April 4, 2013 12:42 PM CDT
    • Did anyone mention this awesome swimmingpool party!?

THE HUSSY (usa)
      KING AUTOMATIC (france)
      THEE GRAVEMEN (swe/uk)
      THE TOYOTAS (Germany)
      THE FELINES (Denmark)
      THE EVILTONES (uk)
      THE VOLADORAS (Sweden)
      LOS GLURPS (Spain)
      THE WILDMEN (Italy)
      ONE MAN BUZZ (Italy)
      ALL GIRL DJ crew
      SPOOKY PROM CINEMA

• April 4, 2013 2:27 PM CDT
    •  Sam Sinister ,    Now that I'm centuries past caring about UK Psychobilly , myself , it seems to be becoming far more popular in The US. When I saw The Meteors in 1995 , they sounded great , still , but , it was kind of like nostalgia , by then . There were about 40 people there. I went , mainly,  because I did'nt have the chance to see them in the 80's. It was the same way when I saw Demented Are Go , a few years later. I went because I had'nt had the chance to see them , earlier. They sounded more , by then , LiKE MOTORHEAD THAN A BAND WITH ANY ROCKABILLY OVERTONES. It was entertaining , at least.

I would say the "Big Three" are Meteors , Guana Batz and Demented. Some people say The Batz were'nt Psychobilly , just because they were'nt as rough - sounding as the other two. With the acoustic guitars and electric guitars not turned up to "OUCH !" , they seemed maybe more influenced by Skiffle and Everly Bros than their peers. That and straight Rockabilly from the 50's , with some Punkish tempos , but not on the same level as The Meteors. A lotof people wrote this stuff off as "Cramps copyists". I never heard much Cramps influence in any of these bands , though they were probably the main catalyst for what became a movement in The UK and Western Europe (Even Russia , and former Soviet Bloc Countries.) really did'nt make it over here , at least ,not until bands started giving it more of a Metal backbone , which could've started with The Phantom Rockers' early U.S. tours. I had one of their CDs , it was more Metal than their live gigs ......

The early Cramps billed themselves as "Psychobilly Voodoo" in about '77 ,so ,they would have been the first to use the term (Which came from Johnny Cash's "One Piece at a Time"), but , when it became a movement , they distanced themselves from it , Ivy noting ,"I don't think those bands are very psycho at all !". But , ever diplomatic , Lux later said "If people listen to us , and are inspired to start Death- Rock bands , that's great , but , people give me these tapes , and they sound like DOGSHIT !"
      The same attitude seemed to prevail about Psychobilly bands who claimed The Cramps were an influence , but a diplomatic air prevailed , on 120 Minutes with ol' boy , the  Morrissey wannabee , where they seemed to have made peace with that all this stuff was happening while they toured Europe in The 80's  , but , they noted , accurately , that the best original Rockabilly WAS psychotic , or Psychobilly , anyway.

Mojo Nixon , to me , has nothing to do , even , with Rockabilly. Maybe there's stuff I have'nt heard. I thought his first album was very funny , but , it still sounded like George Thorogood fronting a two - man joke band. I saw him in '86 or '87 (I was there to see The Paladins.). I thought he stunk , I left after about five songs.....    If you asked Jim Heath (Rev. Horton Heat.) today , he'd probably also say he's disassociating himself from the "Psychobilly" label. I NEVER REALLY THOUGHT OF HIM THAT WAY , THOUGH HE HAD BEEN KNOWN TO THROW TEMPO - TANTRUMS. THE TERM WAS KIND OF STUCK ON HIM WHEN HE GOT ON SUBPOP. Before that , he was just thought of as A STRAIGHT ROCKABILLY AND R'N'B ACT. hE'D BEEN PERFORMING AS tHE REV for almost four years WHEN HIS FIRST ALBUM CAME OUT. A lot of people , today , don't even know how he sounds at his best , tho' they would , if they'd bought his last CD. hE STILL DOES GREAT SHOWS , BUT , HE'S ALWAYS EXPECTED TO DO HIS 5 OR 6 LEAST EXCEPTIONAL SONGS TO PLEASE THE WOULD - BE BADASSES. 

ELVIS HITLER , AT LEAST WAS COMBINING ROCKABILLY AND METAL IN A WAY THAT WORKED , LONG BEFORE MUCH OF "PSYCHOBILLY" WENT METAL. I WOULD'NT CALL THEM PSYCHOBILLY , EITHER.

act. Sam Sinister said:

Someone already mentioned them, but the meteors are hands-down the best "official" psychobilly band. If you count the Cramps (they themselves don't), the Meteors are second, followed closely by the Guana Batz. The early UK stuff had a really great, raw sound. Nekromantix are really good, but they verge on thrash metal and wouldn't be recommended to fans of early rockabilly as an introduction to psycho. I love the Rev, as well, but the American stuff is a bit different. I wouldn't call Elvis hitler or Mojo psychobilly. I've always considered both to be more cowpunk. This is all in my humble opinion, BTW.

• April 4, 2013 1:49 PM CDT
    • Mark George , I may not have told you , but the song is on Farren's album "Vampires Stole My Lunch Money". It featured a cameo by WIlko Johnson (Any word on him , BTW?) , AND LOTS OF OTHER CELEBRITY
       (In our fucked - up world.) guests......Chrissie Hynde acually does some pre - Goth scary vampire girl backing vocals on "Bela Lugosi." .  
      Mark George Harrison said:

Shall look for the Mick Farren song JB, ta!

John Battles said:

Mark George ,  Mick Farren had a great Bela Lugosi song (Actually biographical.) several years before Bahaus did. It's just called "Bela Lugosi" , and , in my humble opinion is the far better song of the two. I may have mentioned The Washington Dead Cats , from France. They've been around forever. They had some good Horror songs , very silly , but I can't think of another band that fused Psychobilly and Psychedelia with Pere Ubu overtones. I bought a tape of theirs in 1986 ,  which came in a plastic bag with a sticker , a lyric book and a badass psychedelic shirt which I still have....It also contained a piece of butterscotch candy. The guy at the store told me "You know what  ? That candy might have acid in it !". He was probably wrong , but , I thought , WHY TAKE A CHANCE ? 

Mark George Harrison said:

Spook and the Ghouls who released an album called the Whitechapel mureders on Nervous in the late 80s, includes a version of bela Lugosis dead!

• April 4, 2013 1:42 PM CDT
    • " THE DAMNED ARE ALL GREAT FANS OF MINE FROM YEARS BACK , WHEN THEY USED TO CARRY ME OUT IN MY COFFIN". Screaming Lord Sutch , mid-80's.

The Pistols also did their very first gig supporting Sutch , and ruined his PA , WHICH HE LAUGHED ABOUT , MUCH LATER.

Dennis Guthrie said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Dave Vanian, of The Damned was a fan of Screaming Lord Sutch.

DammitDave said:
      Don't forget Screaming Lord Sutch!

• April 4, 2013 1:30 AM CDT
    • WILL , YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU'VE BEEN TO SEE WHERE YOU'RE GOING.

YOU CAN DRAW FROM THE PAST , AND STILL LOOK FORWARD. I SAW MUDHONEY ONCE , HAVE TO SAY I WAS'NT CRAZY ABOUT THEM , BUT , THAT'S BESIDE THE POINT. THEY WERE BILLED AS GREEN RIVER. I'M NOT KIDDING.  GREEN RIVER HAD JUST MADE THE SWITCH TO MUDHONEY (SOME OF THE SAME GUYS? ALL OF THEM?) , AND THEY HAD GREEN RIVER POSTERS IN THE VENUE , THO' EVERYONE KNEW IT WAS A MUDHONEY SHOW. TALK ABOUT GOING BACKWARD !

• April 3, 2013 10:16 PM CDT
    • For me, I kinda worked backwards. I became a huge Nirvana fan (still am) and that exposed me to all kinds of Seattle grunge bands like Mudhoney, the Melvins, Green River, Sonic Youth, Husker Du, etc. Pretty much all the bands that Chris, Kurt, and Dave listened to. Then my history teacher told me about Minor Threat, and I dived into the whole early 80's D.C scene (which has produced some of my favorite bands) as well as the L.A. Scene of the same time. And I heard all about the bands THEY listened to, like the Sex Pistols, The Buzzcocks, The Damned, etc. So you could say that I started in the 90's and now I'm in the 70's.

• April 3, 2013 8:16 PM CDT
    •  You see , you had a Cramps Epiphany. Lots of people have had them , and will , in years to come. In The late 70's , I only knew The Cramps by name , and that they were one of the Underground bands happening in NYC , and from seeing the amazing shots of the Miriam Linna - era lineup in Rock Scene. In early '81 (Between "Songs The Lord Taught Us" and "Psychedelic Jungle".) , a friend of mine just sang "Human Fly" to me , without any backing , and I decided , I think I have a new favorite band. THEN , when I heard them , for real , it all made sense.

You're very lucky you got to play that stuff on college radio. I had a friend who had a college radio show in the early 80's . I was allowed to assist her by picking out songs , but , not to cue up records or speak on the air. I'D HEARD HER TALKING ABOUT HER SHOW , and The Cramps , to somebody , that's when I introduced myself. A few years later , I had a show on public radio , playing lots of Garage , Rockabilly , Punk , Glam , whatever , but it was in the worst time slot , and , after 6 weeks , I could'nt get a cab to pick me up from the club district (I had to hang out until almost closing time , on Sunday.), having heard it was such a terrible neighborhood , when the neighborhood I had to go to was SO much worse..... 

• April 3, 2013 8:06 PM CDT
    • '66 , THE YEAR OF OUR LORD , THE BATMAN , IS HARD TO DISPUTE.

I played at this big Punk festival (Actually , I played at the after - party.) , commemorating the 30th Anniversary of Punk , in 2006.  I told the remaining few that 1966 was The Year Punk Broke.