Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• April 1, 2013 5:51 PM CDT
    • Here y'are. Scotland's finest giving ya 3 for 1 in the incorrect stakes, haha. hats off to Watty and co. Bless! Y'gotta love'em!

• April 1, 2013 3:45 PM CDT
    • You guys rock. Thanks a million for that. Just ordered maself a copy. any other docu's you can recommend, please keep'em comin.

fuckin love this track!

• April 1, 2013 3:20 PM CDT

• Andy Climax said:

Can I jump in here and say....'Bout fuckin time! Strikes me when the popular media script of the 60's always favours , Morrisson, Joplin, The Beatles, Hendrix, The Stones, the Monkees etc etc. Don't get e wrong, they're all great an fab an groovy etc, but... Done to death??? I yhink so. It really warms the heart then when the perceived 'Underground' get a hearing as well. 'Searching for Sugar Man' was a real point in case here. Hardly anyone had heard or knew of Rodriguez. A damn shame, if you ask me. I may be a bit naïve here but can anyone  recommend any good documentaries on The Animals and Love. I'd pay good money for those

• April 1, 2013 3:14 PM CDT
    • There is 'Love Story'. A documentary made around four years ago. I haven't personally seen it yet. There is also a Pretty Things doc coming out. More about that when I have more info.

Andy Climax said:

Can I jump in here and say....'Bout fuckin time! Strikes me when the popular media script of the 60's always favours , Morrisson, Joplin, The Beatles, Hendrix, The Stones, the Monkees etc etc. Don't get e wrong, they're all great an fab an groovy etc, but... Done to death??? I yhink so. It really warms the heart then when the perceived 'Underground' get a hearing as well. 'Searching for Sugar Man' was a real point in case here. Hardly anyone had heard or knew of Rodriguez. A damn shame, if you ask me. I may be a bit naïve here but can anyone  recommend any good documentaries on The Animals and Love. I'd pay good money for those

• April 1, 2013 2:36 PM CDT
    • Can I jump in here and say....'Bout fuckin time! Strikes me when the popular media script of the 60's always favours , Morrisson, Joplin, The Beatles, Hendrix, The Stones, the Monkees etc etc. Don't get e wrong, they're all great an fab an groovy etc, but... Done to death??? I yhink so. It really warms the heart then when the perceived 'Underground' get a hearing as well. 'Searching for Sugar Man' was a real point in case here. Hardly anyone had heard or knew of Rodriguez. A damn shame, if you ask me. I may be a bit naïve here but can anyone  recommend any good documentaries on The Animals and Love. I'd pay good money for those

• March 31, 2013 8:03 PM CDT
    • Ah , that's nice....he treated each photo op as something important , it seems. He had this woman with him that said he was going to produce a record on her (OH - KAY.) when I asked to take a picture with him , so we were , all three , in the shot , as well as Lee Joseph coincidentally popping over Sky's shoulder , like a little cojoined head. But , I told Sky I'd reviewed "Red Planet" , and he gave me a big hug.  When he was in Chicago, I told him I was at the Vegas gig , and again , he gives me a big hug.  A friend told me he had the high pitched nasally voice we know and love , then he had this DEEEEEEP voice , too, when he was trying to get serious.

I think that will turn up , a lot , in the movie. There's an interview , I want to say with Frank Beeson , where Sky talks about what great friends he and Elvis were.. His voice drops , because , to him , he was being serious.

Sorry to detract , I think it would be great if the trailer made it to the Ugly Things anniversary party. What better platform could there be ?

Mike said:

Except when he had me in his arms!

....... he wandered by when we were pulling on some slots and drinking some beers and was kind enough to take a pic with me putting his arm around me and even leaned his head on my shoulder, though my camera sucked and its a bit blurred. Saw him a number of times over the years in LA, but never talked to him. But I will say he seemed much more coherent and with it around that time and had a good band backing him up. Looking forward to this doc.

John Battles said:

He was never seen , at The Rockaround , without at least one , sometimes two , women on his arm. But , even as a much older man , his gentle nature (Barring the Fowley incident.) drew female fans to him.....it all seemed innocent enough , really.

• March 31, 2013 6:13 PM CDT
    • I guess it boils down to a bit better dialog, otherwise we were both good with it. I thought the casting was great. I was explaining to my other half how much the actor looked and acted like the real deal. She's heard me mention his name a few times over the years and got a fairly accurate sample in The Runaways movie. She may have seen him in a doc. or two also. How about The Kim Fowley Story with same actor? Let's see... "The World's Greatest Sinner" was already taken...

John Battles said:

I really thought he did pull it off. HIS DIALOGUE COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER - SCRIPTED , BUT , BY ALL ACCOUNTS , THAT'S HOW HE TALKED TO AND TREATED THE GIRLS. I don't know if they met , and I agree with what you say , that he should have walked away with an understanding of Fowley's character , if they did meet , but , he acted , pretty much , exactly like Fowley when I met him , and other peoples' accounts that I've heard and read. Bottom line is , Fowley's done a lot of bragging on how well that boy portrayed him .......

Glenn Barton said:

Yes, good job but better script for Fowley dialog and more accurate portrayal to fit from all I've heard. I think that guy could have pulled it off. He sure looked the part. He should have spent an afternoon with him. If he did and didn't get him down, it's on the actor!

John Battles said:

Yeah , That's about the size of it. Fowley was polite enuff to me when I met him , but , the guy who played him in the Runaways movie was almost too subtle..... 

Glenn Barton said:

Can't wait for the doc. Wild story about the Rockaround. I guess Fowley courts that kinda' stuff with his charming persona. Still, his sense of humor (as such) and way with words can really crack me up sometimes. Seeds memory from childhood.... riding home at night in the back of our '65 Studebaker Commander... I'm adjusting the time on my plastic Trix non-functional wristwatch cereal box prize while listening to "Pushin' Too Hard" on the radio (KAKC- Tulsa). Now, I can listen to my own band do it live. The Seeds have staying power. Let's do the Time Warp again...

• March 31, 2013 1:30 PM CDT
    • Except when he had me in his arms!

....... he wandered by when we were pulling on some slots and drinking some beers and was kind enough to take a pic with me putting his arm around me and even leaned his head on my shoulder, though my camera sucked and its a bit blurred. Saw him a number of times over the years in LA, but never talked to him. But I will say he seemed much more coherent and with it around that time and had a good band backing him up. Looking forward to this doc.

John Battles said:

He was never seen , at The Rockaround , without at least one , sometimes two , women on his arm. But , even as a much older man , his gentle nature (Barring the Fowley incident.) drew female fans to him.....it all seemed innocent enough , really.

• March 31, 2013 12:27 PM CDT
    • I really thought he did pull it off. HIS DIALOGUE COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER - SCRIPTED , BUT , BY ALL ACCOUNTS , THAT'S HOW HE TALKED TO AND TREATED THE GIRLS. I don't know if they met , and I agree with what you say , that he should have walked away with an understanding of Fowley's character , if they did meet , but , he acted , pretty much , exactly like Fowley when I met him , and other peoples' accounts that I've heard and read. Bottom line is , Fowley's done a lot of bragging on how well that boy portrayed him .......

Glenn Barton said:

Yes, good job but better script for Fowley dialog and more accurate portrayal to fit from all I've heard. I think that guy could have pulled it off. He sure looked the part. He should have spent an afternoon with him. If he did and didn't get him down, it's on the actor!

John Battles said:

Yeah , That's about the size of it. Fowley was polite enuff to me when I met him , but , the guy who played him in the Runaways movie was almost too subtle..... 

Glenn Barton said:

Can't wait for the doc. Wild story about the Rockaround. I guess Fowley courts that kinda' stuff with his charming persona. Still, his sense of humor (as such) and way with words can really crack me up sometimes. Seeds memory from childhood.... riding home at night in the back of our '65 Studebaker Commander... I'm adjusting the time on my plastic Trix non-functional wristwatch cereal box prize while listening to "Pushin' Too Hard" on the radio (KAKC- Tulsa). Now, I can listen to my own band do it live. The Seeds have staying power. Let's do the Time Warp again...

• March 30, 2013 7:48 PM CDT
    • Getting back to the doc, here's what Alec said last week:

Q. I see you're going to present a trailer for the doc at UT's 30th anniversary. Will it also go up on youtube?
      A. That I can't say. Neil is more in charge of the documentary at this current stage, so it is his call.

• March 30, 2013 7:14 PM CDT
    • Yes, good job but better script for Fowley dialog and more accurate portrayal to fit from all I've heard. I think that guy could have pulled it off. He sure looked the part. He should have spent an afternoon with him. If he did and didn't get him down, it's on the actor!

John Battles said:

Glenn Barton said:

• March 30, 2013 7:07 PM CDT
    • Great piece. Makes me want to pull out my Seeds Fallin' Off The Edge Of The World comp. I'll have to see what of those Fowley tunes/productions are on Youtube. Had one Fowley comp a few years back that was pretty good. Mostly early/mid 60s. Also... one of his lp's with the biker pose cover. Not as crazy about that one. One line he said in Ugly Things a few years ago has always stayed with me... he was describing the incredible talents of a particular recording engineer and said something akin to this... If I said I wanted to hear the sound on Negroes burning churches, he could do it.

• April 1, 2013 2:40 PM CDT
    • The Violent Femmes debut album is just sublime. Talk about budget albums. I love it!

• March 31, 2013 7:47 AM CDT
    • I really like NYC's Recruders surf & garage stylings.

• April 1, 2013 1:51 PM CDT
    • YOU MEAN , SHANE SWANK?

PORK MAGAZINE said:

PORK 10 IS OUT. WITH: WARM SODA, WAX IDOLS, MIKE DIANA, SHANE BUGBEE, YUTA SAKAKIBARA, JASON POWELL OF GUANTANAMO BAYWATCH, LAUREN UTTER, TALLBOY, GLITZ, ACID SWEAT LODGE, GLITTER WIZARD & TONS OF COMICS, COLUMNS & KOOL SHIT.

• April 1, 2013 11:27 AM CDT
    • PORK 10 IS OUT. WITH: WARM SODA, WAX IDOLS, MIKE DIANA, SHANE BUGBEE, YUTA SAKAKIBARA, JASON POWELL OF GUANTANAMO BAYWATCH, LAUREN UTTER, TALLBOY, GLITZ, ACID SWEAT LODGE, GLITTER WIZARD & TONS OF COMICS, COLUMNS & KOOL SHIT.

• March 31, 2013 8:16 PM CDT
    • .....OH , ALL RIGHT. LEAVE THAT STUFF TO ME.   Here's one -

The Cramps - "Goddamn Rock'n'Roll".   "And Lou Reed did it in the park"  , "Adam and Eve did it in the park".

• March 31, 2013 12:17 PM CDT
    • THE INSECT SURFERS....Unless they've changed drastically , that was some stone Hippie Surf , like The Mermen , but a little heavier. IT WAS 20 YEARS AGO THAT I SAW THEM , AND OVER 10 YEARS EARLIER , MY FRIENDS AND I TRIED TO GET INTO A SHOW THEY WERE ON (MAY NOT HAVE BEEN THE SAME BAND.).

THEY USED TO DO A THING IN CHICAGO AND THE BURBS , CALLED  TIKI FEST , THE TRASHMEN , VOLCANOES , NEANDERTHALS , AND A BUNCH OF AREA BANDS PLAYED.

• March 31, 2013 12:03 PM CDT
    •  I think the funniest part is in the comments: People arguing over whether it's Melvins or The Melvins , when it's probably both. It's like , some guy on You Tube insisted it was never The Sweet , but Sweet....When even the most casual fan knows it was always "The Sweet" until they started breaking away from Chinnichap and opted for a new look and sound. I've never HEARD ANYONE JUST SAY "Melvins" In speech , tho'.   This is moderately amusing , like some Redd Kross / Tater Totz in -  joke from The 80's . BUT , AND I KNOW I'M IN AN ITSY - BITSY ,TEENY WEENIE MINORITY , I NEVER GOT IT WITH (THE )MELVINS. Lost interest in Queen in Jr. High , too , but , if MELVINS' fans can handle something that's a complete polar opposite to their usual sound , they might be able TO DIG THIS. I DON'T KNOW. Joke cover bands and albums don't always work.

• March 31, 2013 9:44 AM CDT
    • Show #415: "Flower Songs" playlist:

Ultimate Spinach - "Mind Flowers"
      The Turtles - "Rugs Of Woods And Flowers"
      Mud - "Flower Power"
      Moorpark Intersection - "I Think I'll Just Go And Find Me A Flower"
      Dirty Filthy Mud - "Morning Sunflower"
      The Cobblestones - "Flower People"
      Baris Manco & Kaygisizlar - "Flower Of Love"
      The Mothers Of Invention - "Flower Punk"
      Sally Eaton - "Flowers In The Air"
      Jacks - "Gloomy Flower"
      The Garden Of Eden - "Flower Man"
      The Children - "Sitting On A Flower"
      Those Guys - "Stereopsis Of A Floret"
      Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - "Flower Pot"
      Ro-D-Ys - "Flowers Everywhere"
      The Licorice Schtik - "Flowers, Flowers"
      Eternity's Children - "Flowers"
      The British Road Runners - "Flower Movement"
      The Syn - "Flowerman"
      The Zodiac - "Libra - The Flower Child"
      The Human Beinz - "Flower Grave"
      The Pasternak Progress - "Flower Eyes"
      Hyle King Movement - "Flower Smile"
      The Holy Mackerel - "Wildflowers"
      The Crystal Chandelier - "Suicidal Flowers"
      The 23rd Turnoff - "Flowers Are Flowering"
      Central Park - "Flower Hill"
      Ash Ra Tempel - "Darkness: Flowers Must Die"
      The Nice - "Flower King Of Flies"
      The Jefferson Handkerchief - "I'm Allergic To Flowers"
      The Everly Brothers - "Talking To The Flowers"
      The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown - "Give Him A Flower"
      Ananda Shankar - "Snow Flower"
      Big Jim Sullivan - "Flower Power"
      Plant Life - "Flower Girl"
      The Move - "Flowers In The Rain"
      Dave Travis Extreme - "Last Night The Flowers Bloomed"
      The Breakers - "Don't Send Me No Flowers (I Ain't Dead Yet)"
      The Go-Nuts - "Flower"
      Amon Duul II - "Flower Of The Orient"
      The Tea Company - "Flowers [album version]"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/415.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/415.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metaphysical-Circus-with-The-Eggman-An-Obscure-Oldies-Radio-Program/182326748511750
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• March 30, 2013 7:15 PM CDT
    • Old man shrinkage might work...

John Battles said:

I would be , too , but , it shrunk in the wash , years ago. IF I SHOULD LIVE TO BE  , MAYBE IT'LL FIT , AGAIN !

Glenn Barton said:

I am barely into any of that music but I say NO CUT-OFF! Get burried in it when you are a hundred and five if it's what you like. I'll be wearin' my Blues Magoos T till about then, myself.

• March 30, 2013 6:29 PM CDT
    • Alder Kings , I've never heard of , but , there's always been a Surf scene in The Chicago Suburbs , AFTER THE BIG SURF SCARE OF '95-'97 ENDED.

The modern Surf/Instrumental scene in Chicago begins and ends with The Greaseballs. They could not be touched. They were only around from about '86 TO '90 , BUT HAVE RECORDED AND PERFORMED , SPORADICALLY , SINCE.   Bill Bulinski , their Lead Guitarist , was the original axeman with The Electras (As in "Dirty Old Man" and "Action Woman".).

Spies Who Surf were The Greaseballs' friendly rivals. In terms of popularity , they won. But , they went from being an MTV-ish sounding take on Surf to a Jazz - oriented , not so Surf-sounding Instrumental Rock. I saw several of the original band members perform "The Ventures in Space" a few years back , tho' , and they were ON FIRE !!!

The Defoliants were going on at the same time , but , as I noted , earlier ,
      whenever I saw them , they were mostly New Wavish vocal - Rock , WITH THE OCCASIONAL SURF iNSTRUMENTAL. OBVIOUSLY , THEY WERE INFLUENCED BY AGENT ORANGE (CHECK THEIR NAME.) , BUT, EVEN THEY STEPPED UP TO THE MIKE , SOMETIMES......

Kill, Baby...Kill! said:

Kill,Baby...Kill! - Anniston, AL www.reverbnation.com/killbabykillal

Daikaiju - Huntsville, AL www.daikaiju.net

Necronomikids - Tuscaloosa, AL

Alder Kings - Chicago

Guantanamo Baywatch - Portland, OR

The Icepicks - Maine

Coffin Daggers - NY

El Fossil - Atlanta, GA

The Summer Creeps - Roswell, GA

Team Void - Dayton, OH

I could honestly keep going all day with this list. The genre is blowing up, nation wide.