Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• March 30, 2013 6:15 PM CDT
    • The early Wailers fall under that banner , even the early Ventures , as they were never a Surf band , anyway. Charlie Gracie's "Live Stockton Globe , 1958" , The Fireballs , Bobby Wayne, Johnny and The Hurricanes , Viscounts , stuff like that.  Link Wray , goes without saying.

• March 30, 2013 6:06 PM CDT
    • I would be , too , but , it shrunk in the wash , years ago. IF I SHOULD LIVE TO BE  , MAYBE IT'LL FIT , AGAIN !

Glenn Barton said:

I am barely into any of that music but I say NO CUT-OFF! Get burried in it when you are a hundred and five if it's what you like. I'll be wearin' my Blues Magoos T till about then, myself.

• March 30, 2013 5:15 AM CDT
    • I am barely into any of that music but I say NO CUT-OFF! Get burried in it when you are a hundred and five if it's what you like. I'll be wearin' my Blues Magoos T till about then, myself.

• March 29, 2013 4:51 PM CDT
    • All of the above!

• March 30, 2013 6:00 PM CDT
    • Yeah , That's about the size of it. Fowley was polite enuff to me when I met him , but , the guy who played him in the Runaways movie was almost too subtle..... 

Glenn Barton said:

Can't wait for the doc. Wild story about the Rockaround. I guess Fowley courts that kinda' stuff with his charming persona. Still, his sense of humor (as such) and way with words can really crack me up sometimes. Seeds memory from childhood.... riding home at night in the back of our '65 Studebaker Commander... I'm adjusting the time on my plastic Trix non-functional wristwatch cereal box prize while listening to "Pushin' Too Hard" on the radio (KAKC- Tulsa). Now, I can listen to my own band do it live. The Seeds have staying power. Let's do the Time Warp again...

• March 30, 2013 5:03 AM CDT
    • Can't wait for the doc. Wild story about the Rockaround. I guess Fowley courts that kinda' stuff with his charming persona. Still, his sense of humor (as such) and way with words can really crack me up sometimes. Seeds memory from childhood.... riding home at night in the back of our '65 Studebaker Commander... I'm adjusting the time on my plastic Trix non-functional wristwatch cereal box prize while listening to "Pushin' Too Hard" on the radio (KAKC- Tulsa). Now, I can listen to my own band do it live. The Seeds have staying power. Let's do the Time Warp again...

• March 29, 2013 8:00 PM CDT
    • I heard about this , but , it was so long ago , I forgot about it. I think the story of The Seeds is just as interesting and relevant as that of Love , the monks , or The 13th Floor Elevators.

I'm amazed Kim Fowley had anything good to say. Of course , it was shocking that Sky actually sucker - punched him at The Vegas Rockaround in 2004. I was'nt in the room when this happened , but , the two , very visibly , avoided each other all weekend. Fowley told my friends and I , "You fucking Garage kids ! You just want to jack off and smoke a joint to the new Seeds reissue !" , then he looks at one guy I did'nt know , and asked him , "Are you gonna sit here and tell me you would'nt fuck Brittney Spears if you had the chance?" , to which he replied , "I might fuck her BOYFRIEND , whoever that is at the moment , but , I'm a QUEER!".   Kim did'nt have an answer to that one.  This article is the first time I've ever read ANYONE describing Sky Saxon as "Handsome" , though countless women have said he had irresistable sexual magnetism. He was never seen , at The Rockaround , without at least one , sometimes two , women on his arm. But , even as a much older man , his gentle nature (Barring the Fowley incident.) drew female fans to him.....it all seemed innocent enough , really.

The Big Beat/Ace reissue of "The Seeds" is BAD ASS , by the way. I did'nt understand the line about the album not possibly containing any outtakes. They're there.

• March 30, 2013 2:03 PM CDT
    • I never got into The Morells too much , but , if you good people out there could hear that station , NOW , you'd be shocked to know that . Getting back to Dr. Demento , I have a great , great love for good Novelty songs , but , after a time , The Doctor got stuck in a rut , and you could almost name which songs he was going to play , next.

James Porter said:

It blows my mind to think that WXRT used to play the damn Morells!

• March 30, 2013 1:57 PM CDT
    • Yeah , son , but Texas is so damn big that Portland , Oregon is a suburb !

Kidding , sorry about that. Did'nt you say you lived in Austin ? In another life , perhaps?

The thing is , frat boys probably walk on water in Portland or Seattle as much as they do in the Texas College towns....Granted , some of em knew they had a good thing , and left the rest of us the Hell alone.  The Northwest is proof that there was a time that frat parties featured kickass music , instead of guys just getting their asses kicked.

dave said:

Er, Portland, Oregon actually...

John Battles said:

OK , Dave lives in Texas , so he knows. The easiest way to get your house party busted , if you've got bands playing , is to have it next door, or relatively close to , a frat party going at three times the volume. You know they're not going to let them take the fall . Not when there's a perfectly good rowdy Indie - Rock concert with a moshpit going and people pissing their names in green beer in the snow. There's this new thing called Ska I've been hearing about , as well , from Boston . Shoot me your 411 , and I'll bring some of my vinyls !  BTW , heard the new Remains 8 Track , yet ?

• March 30, 2013 12:58 PM CDT
    • Er, Portland, Oregon actually...

John Battles said:

OK , Dave lives in Texas , so he knows. The easiest way to get your house party busted , if you've got bands playing , is to have it next door, or relatively close to , a frat party going at three times the volume. You know they're not going to let them take the fall . Not when there's a perfectly good rowdy Indie - Rock concert with a moshpit going and people pissing their names in green beer in the snow. There's this new thing called Ska I've been hearing about , as well , from Boston . Shoot me your 411 , and I'll bring some of my vinyls !  BTW , heard the new Remains 8 Track , yet ?

• March 29, 2013 7:31 PM CDT
    • OK , Dave lives in Texas , so he knows. The easiest way to get your house party busted , if you've got bands playing , is to have it next door, or relatively close to , a frat party going at three times the volume. You know they're not going to let them take the fall . Not when there's a perfectly good rowdy Indie - Rock concert with a moshpit going and people pissing their names in green beer in the snow. There's this new thing called Ska I've been hearing about , as well , from Boston . Shoot me your 411 , and I'll bring some of my vinyls !  BTW , heard the new Remains 8 Track , yet ?

• March 29, 2013 7:20 PM CDT
    • Seems like something from another era.

On a serious note..... what is the scoop on concert shows and those stores that sell the 12" CDs in Beantown? Going to be there next week for a day or two.

• March 29, 2013 5:11 PM CDT
    • I know, sooo stoopit! FFS, don't these guys have actual CRIME to look out for? 

Downliner song- "He Was A Square" Ain't it the truth!  :D

kopper said:

Hey, what's the 411 on the live local music concert tonight, Dave?

• March 29, 2013 4:51 PM CDT
    • Hey, what's the 411 on the live local music concert tonight, Dave?

• March 30, 2013 12:26 AM CDT
    • This looks really interesting.  "Teenage Kicks" is one of my all time favorite songs.

Mike said:

Yea, I hear you two. And yea, I will most likely see it in someway, even if it's on Netflix. And MikeL, your promise of a drink in writing is a prize enough.

The movie though that I am really looking forward to is Good Vibrations about the Irish label of the same name. Here's trailer:

• March 29, 2013 4:12 PM CDT
    • hahaaaha  what! Might be sooo bad it's good?

• March 29, 2013 8:27 PM CDT
    • I NEVER PURCHASED ANY OF THEM , SO , I'M AFRAID I'M USELESS , HERE.....BUT , FUH MAH MONET , THE "DESTROY THAT BOY" CD IS A REMARKABLY CONSISTENT ALL GIRL BAND AND FEMALE FRONTED GARAGE PUNK . IT EVEN HAS ANN-MARGRET'S UNBELIEVABLE PUNK SINGLE "(IT'S A ) NICE WORLD TO VISIT , BUT NOT TO LIVE IN",

• March 29, 2013 8:22 PM CDT
    • I think this is the same one a friend was putting me on to . Thanks !

• March 29, 2013 8:13 PM CDT
    • THE SLOTHS STILL PLAYED , DID'NT THEY ? WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN THERE. LOOKS LIKE A WEAK YEAR FOR FESTS. EXCEPT IN EUROPE , I GUESS.

• March 29, 2013 5:35 PM CDT
    • Loved the Clavins old band Mika Miko too.

• March 29, 2013 5:16 PM CDT
    • I heard a Urinals song that I've never encountered, trance-y