Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• March 20, 2013 5:38 PM CDT
    • Maybe not ugly, but scary.

here is the album cover for Utah reggae band Wasnatch's Front to Back. Their music, sadly, does not live up to the promise of the artwork. What could, really? But I bet Wasnatch tear it up on the Utah reggae circuit.

• March 20, 2013 1:12 PM CDT
    • The first show i went to watch was 20/20 performing at the Whisky a-Go-Go, Los Angeles back in 1979. They had just released their first album entitled 20/20 and the single from it was "Yellow Pills" which received a lot of airplay on KROQ at the time. They were a new wave/power pop band and they never had a hit song.

• March 20, 2013 9:57 AM CDT
    • I saw Sam the Sham & The Pharaohs at Springlake amusement park in Oklahoma City in the summer of 1965 when their current hit was "Ju Ju Hand."

When I was in junior high in OKC a couple of years later, there was a local band called The Inmates who had an intense Yardbirds fixation and did a vicious version of "The Hanky Panky." They were pretty punk.

I saw The Fall in Santa Fe in 1981 play in Santa Fe in an old movie theater. Before the show I got to interview Mark E. Smith, who told me The Fall wasn't punk rock. He was right but he was wrong.

• March 19, 2013 6:34 AM CDT
    • The first proper gig I went to was a grungy pop punk band called Ratcat at a small bar in Kings Cross, Sydney. I was only 15 and got in with somebody's paper driving license. It was packed and a great gig.

First punk show was The Ramones in 1991 at Sydney's Hordern Pavilion. They were great but the support band was even better - local band the Hard Ons, who concluded their set with bass player Ray Ahn doing an amazing fire breathing routine..

Best show (or one of the best) was Einsturzende Neubauten, Beasts of Bourbon and Sydney punk band Nunbait at the Phoenician Club, Sydney in 1992. Amazing line-up, cool venue, and I used the same fake ID to get in that I used at the Ratcat gig..

• March 18, 2013 7:59 AM CDT
    • First punks shows were probably some friends bands - can't even remember. Some of the best would be Zero Boys, Zeros, Testors, GIZMOS NYE show. D.O.A. private party show. 

Currently all the Toronto summer bridge shows are without a doubt a blast. This will be the 4th (?) season, most fun I've had at shows in recent memory - usually doesn't matter who is playing, but mostly good local bands anyway - School Jerks, Kremlin, Career Suicide,....etc.

Upcoming shows looking forward to. Red Cross and later Diamond Head. Both old, but hopefully they will still be good.

• March 17, 2013 3:51 PM CDT
    • First punk show: summer of 1980 999 in Cleveland oh.. last punk shows : The Queers, Matt Freeman, 7 Seconds, Italy. Best punk show in between: all of them!

• March 19, 2013 6:17 AM CDT
    • When I was a kid in Australia, there was (probably still is) an all-night music video show on ABC TV every weekend called Rage - for me and my mates around the same age it was an amazing source of eclectic music, and pretty much where we discovered punk rock. Because the show ran all night with no host (except the occasional guest programmer from a touring band), they had about 8 hours of air time to fill and would play anything and everything, seemingly at random!

I think I'd already heard the Sex Pistols and The Clash, but at about the age of 13, Rage was the first time I was exposed to The Saints, Radio Birdman, Birthday Party, The Ramones, Dead Kennedys, The Cramps, The Pogues, NYC noise bands like Sonic Youth and Pussy Galore, and Australian contemporary punk bands like the Hard Ons. It was definitely love at first sight and sound with all this stuff!

• March 18, 2013 6:33 AM CDT
    • at the weekend, I was sitting listening to my 8 year old daughter and 5 year old son talking about music and singing their favourite songs. One Direction and all the usual kid stuff came out. Then to my total surprise they started singing a tune. I'm sitting saying...I know that tune, what is it? Turns out it was 'Viva La Revolution' The Addicts. both have mp3 players and I put stuff on every now and again to make sure 'its never too early', haha. brilliant. Really made my weekend. A great introduction to punk rock i'm sure you'll agree???

• March 18, 2013 5:14 AM CDT
    • In a coffin!

swt said:

How do you get out?

• March 18, 2013 2:10 AM CDT
    • How do you get out?

• March 17, 2013 5:38 PM CDT
    • And Maximum Rock'n'roll !!! My friend imported it to sell it all over italy, and I don t think he ever made a cent on it , but I had my fresh copy every month. Another friend also from my city, wrote the Italian column very often. I visited the headquarters and met Tim the owner later.. a sweetie!!

• March 17, 2013 5:28 PM CDT
    • Ps... Ah, the ROIR catalogue✨

• March 17, 2013 5:23 PM CDT
    • I was still in middle school, in Italy, and Bowie posters splattered my bed room walls.. Sunday lunchtime tv those days showed a cool music show, and that s where I saw all the first british punk invasion of '77. I saw the Sex Pistols... They made sense to me!!!!Weeks later I gave myself a spiky haircut.. that caused ongoing family fights..if I had gone out naked it would have caused less of a shock...people was rude and nasty.. then I bought the S Pistols lp at the local department store, ( true, you could get punk records easily then) and the Ramones.. Bowie has gathered dust ever since...a few years later there were 5 of us in the city, and a punk band, still active to this day.. I got a bass....as my punk mates started to lean towards new wave, I met up with new punks, and now it s 1984 I think, and hardcore is HUGE, and a punk club opens in the nearby city, and that s where I ended up hanging out all the time. Saw bands from all over the world in that epic place. And I was with likeminded friends at last. I saw DIY in action when it didn t have a name. I never found so much comraderie. We are still in touch. All of us. It s a strong and secret legacy,kinda feels as if we did fight at war together , and in a way we did. And it was magic, just being a part. I was the only deviant and then suddenly there are more, and we re a family, and I m not a deviant anymore, I'm a superhero. Punk is self empowering. There are great punk bands today that I know thanks to my younger friends. They are super heroes, too. Punk is good for them And beware, there could be an angry young punk behind any lovedoll, nerd, or mentally retarded looking type...

• March 18, 2013 7:33 PM CDT
    • Still Active all female or female-fronted: The Moaners, Black Belles, The Kills

Not active, but worth looking up: Pandoras, The Brood, Trashwomen, Bobbyteens

Female-fronted b-movie monster rock? The Horrorpops is all that comes to mind, but they're Dutch I think.

• March 18, 2013 6:47 PM CDT
    • The Flytraps are all babes out of Los Angeles I've been keeping an eye and ear on

• March 17, 2013 3:23 PM CDT
    • Vicky Tafoya & the Vengeants?

• March 18, 2013 9:47 AM CDT
    • New Black Angels album out soon. Check'em out!

• March 18, 2013 7:47 AM CDT
    • That Brazilian band is cool. Of course Venom are amazing, but I never really thought of them as stoner rock, though I'm sure a lot of people get stoned and listen to them, so whatever. Atomic Bitchwax, Monster Magnet, St. Vitus are all great never heard the rest—should look into them.

I recently acquired a long time want, Melvins - Ozma. Been rocking the heck out of that one recently.

• March 17, 2013 4:04 PM CDT
    • Atomic Bitchwax, Black Nasa, Orange Goblin, Monster Magnet, Kyuss, St. Vitus, Raging Slab, Unida, ..did I just turned myself in?

• March 17, 2013 11:46 PM CDT
    • Lora Logic was gone , by the time of X-Ray Spex's first album (She was in the band ca, 76 - 77 , but their first LP did'nt come out 'til 1978.).. She skronked up a storm , tho'.

Logic and Styrene both joined The Hare Krishnas
       , though , it seems Styrene was the more devoted of the two , though , eventually returning to Secular music , in the '90's , with "Conscious Consuner " , X- Ray Spex's  second and final official LP.  Lora Logic also appeared on that CD , and in the "ex - Ray Spex' lineup , which recieved top billing at the Holidays in The SUN FESTIVAL IN '96 , despite Poly Styrene having been ousted from her own band.
      Katie Dubz said:

Lora Logic is great! I really enjoy the band she put together after being booted from Spex...Essential Logic!! I think there was a couple dudes that came after her to play sax in X-Ray Spex but neither could match that coltish self-taught sound she brought to their first album.

John Battles said:

I can't think of that many , besides Mark Lindsay. When The Raiders were still more of a Frat Rock group , he was honkin' his horn a'plenty , and , later on the recited smoocher "Melody For an Unknown Girl.",  already out of date for it's time. I saw Mark in 2001 , and he was wailin' sax on numbers like "You Can't Sit Down" and "Night Train". Of course , The Raiders' "Louie" was more sax - driven , too. I'm not good on names . The Wailers had a couple of great sax players , inc. the guy who played with them in later years , when they stormed the Ponderosa Stomp. He killed !

Screamin' Jay played a pretty mean sax , himself , as did Ray Charles. Dave Hill from The Treniers , who's still alive and well , Dave "Bubba" Mitchell , from Milt Trenier's band , also still alive and CRAZY , as he nears his 90th Year , Earl Bostic , Louis Jordan ,  Lonnie Youngblood , The late , great , Sam Butera , Bobby Keyes , of course , Gordon from The Fleshtones , God Rest His Soul , Lora Logic from X- Ray Spex and Red Krayola , and her successor in the first band - Forgot his name - And ,who's the cat from The Pastel Six? I saw him sit in with Sky Saxon and The Seeds , it worked , too ! , Jesse Scinto , who's a younger guy , is keeping the honkin' sax tradition going , but , he does'nt seem to play much , these days....

• March 17, 2013 3:31 PM CDT
    • I came into this world
      as a puzzled panther
      waiting to be caged
      but something stood in the way
      i was never quite tamed
      Darby Crash

• March 17, 2013 1:09 PM CDT
    • Show #413: "Bands & Artists Starting With M, Part 7" playlist:

Merrilee & The Turnabouts - "Would I"
      Max Merritt & The Meteors - "Fannie Mae"
      Merry Airbrakes - "Even Those Among Us"
      The Merry Dragons - "Universal Vagrant"
      The Merry-Go-Round - "Had To Run Around"
      The Merrymen - "Walking Down Lonesome Road"
      Merryweather - "We Can Make It"
      The Mersey Men - "I Can Tell"
      The Mersey-Side 5 - "See That Girl"
      The Merseybeats - "Milkman"
      The Merseys - "I Hope You're Happy"
      The Messengers [MN] - "My Baby"
      The Messengers [WI] - "Hard Hard Year"
      Meteor & Demjen Ferenc - "Kivanj Te Is Nekem Szep, Jo Ejszakat"
      The Meteors with Curt Bilsbo - "Anytime"
      The Meters - "Chug Chug Chug-A-Lug (Push N' Shove), Part II"
      Methuselah - "High In The Tower Of Coombe"
      Metro - "A Penz"
      Michael - "Caretaker"
      Michael & The Messengers - "Lies (Don't Mean Nothin')"
      Michael & The Mumbles - "Need Your Love"
      Michael & The Trees - "Show You Love Me"
      J. Michael & The Bushmen - "I Need Love"
      Michaelangelo - "One Voice Many"
      Lee Michaels - "My Friends"
      Michel & The French Canadians - "'Cause I Believe"
      Mick & The Shambles - "Lonely Nights Again"
      Mickey & Sylvia - "Love Is Strange"
      The Mickey Finn - "Garden Of My Mind"
      Mid Day Rain - "Welcome To The Rain"
      The Midas Touch - "Harvey"
      Middle Of The Road - "Soley Soley"
      The Midknights [UK] - "Just For Me"
      The Midknights [US] - "Pain"
      Midnight Circus - "Get It"
      The Midnight Shift - "Saturday Jump"
      The Midnight Snack - "Mister Time"
      Midnight Sun - "Winds Gonna Blow"
      Midsommar - "Illusionen Av En Färdigskolad Akademiker"
      The Mighty Avengers - "(Walkin' Thru The) Sleepy City"
      Mighty Baby - "Egyptian Tomb"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/413.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/413.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metaphysical-Circus-with-The-Eggman-An-Obscure-Oldies-Radio-Program/182326748511750
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• March 17, 2013 8:36 AM CDT
    • We're based in the North East - been rehearsing since last year. Done a couple of gigs this year. So far we play about 20 odd Nugget-y gems, and have 7 or 8 original numbers, too. No recordings done yet other than mics left running in rehearsals, but we're planning on doing some studio recordings for a self-financed 7" or something towards the end of the year, once we've got some decent stage-time under our belts.

www.thefalsepoets.co.uk is the web-page.

• March 17, 2013 3:14 AM CDT
    • The Gories, The 5678s, Pussy Galore, early Blues Explosion, Guitar Wolf (their first album, Wolf Rock, was recorded on a walkman!), Ty Segall (especially his first couple of albums), Bloodshot Bill, The King Khan and BBQ Show, Mark Sultan, Dirty Beaches..

• March 16, 2013 6:33 PM CDT
    • Return of the double post!  This post will be of my last two programs and their play lists.This weeks program had a feature on the 60s garage/punk/psych band The Painted Ship, along with music from Dee Dee Ramone, The Saints, The Hives and more. 

Download/listen to this weeks program here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20130312-1030-t1363080600.mp3

Check out my blog post for an exclusive interview with Will Hay of Painted Ship:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2013/03/the-painted-ship-will-hay-interview.html

The play list: 

1. Queens of the Stone Age – This Lullaby
      2. Psychic Ills – I Get By
      3. Dog Day – Nothing To Du
      4. Dee Dee Ramone – Negative Creep
      5. Thighs – Russ
      6. Idols – Reajean
      7. Wayouts – Red Rover
      8. Big Harp – You Can’t Save’ Em All
      9. Neil Young – Don’t Be Denied
      10. Painted Ship – Little White Lies
      11. Painted Ship – Frustration
      12. Painted Ship – And She Said Yes
      13. Painted Ship – Audience Reflections
      14. The Standells – Why Did You Hurt Me?
      15. The Future Primitives – Sea of Words
      16. Ty Segall – Imaginary Person (Live in Brooklyn, NY 2013)
      17. Zebra Hunt – Sun Drenched Island
      18. The Real Kids – Rave On
      19. Lou Reed – Nobody’s Business
      20. Ramones – It’s Not My Place (In The 9 to 5 World)
      21. The Saints –One Way Street
      22. The Victims – T.V. Freak
      23. The Hives – State Control
      24. The Gruesomes - My Dad's A Ho-Dad (Live)
      25. Young Rival – Night Song

Here is the show/play list from the previous week featuring music from The Stems, Foxygen, Johnny Thunders & Heartbreakers, MC5, Dishrags, Lost Patrol and more. 

Download/listen to the show here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20130305-1030-t1362479400.mp3

Blog post featuring info on The Stems Tears Me In Two single:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2013/03/foxygen-stems-show-445.html

The Play List: 

1. Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers – Born To Lose
      2. MC5 – Highschool
      3. The Ramrods –Take Me Back To My Boots and Saddle
      4. B-Girls – “B”Side
      5. X-Ray Spex – Let’s Submerge (Live The Roxy London 1977)
      6. The Unwanted – Freedom (Live The Roxy London 1977)
      7. Craig Martinson – If I Had A Blame
      8. Unknown Mortal Orchestra – From The Sun
      9. Yo La Tengo – Ohm

10. A Volatile Mixture – Cinnamon Girl
      11. Elliot Knapp – Instant Gratification
      12. Smoke Faires – Three of Us
      13. Adam and The Ants – Beat My Guest
      14. Dishrags – Sold Out
      15. Modernettes – Surf City Strangler (Live)
      16. Lost Patrol – I’m Not The One
      17. The Lyrics – They Can’t Hurt Me
      18. The Canadian Rogues – Keep In Touch
      19. Foxygen – Shuggie
      20. The Damned – Born To Kill
      21. Mystics – Bad Times
      22. Paul Jacobs – You Got Soul (Demo)
      23. Fruit Tones – One Foot Loose
      24. The Stems - Tears Me In Two