Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• March 22, 2013 1:16 PM CDT
    • Thanks for that link Dave. Still going to get another copy.

• March 22, 2013 12:44 PM CDT
    • Love It's Alive. Not heard it for a while as I only have it on tape and technology seems to have moved on. Think it might be time to get a copy I can actually play.

• March 21, 2013 6:36 PM CDT
    • "It's Alive" is just a tremendous album... One of the best live efforts by any band anywhere, anywhere.

Here's a clip:

http://youtu.be/imf25Squ8ro

• March 21, 2013 5:10 PM CDT
    • GODS!!!

GABBA GABBA HEY!

• March 21, 2013 12:42 PM CDT
    • Ramones live were great, I have yet to see concert footage that captures the loud, speed and excitement of the shows, i was lucky to see them a few times and meet joey outside the hoilday inn one night.

• March 22, 2013 12:13 PM CDT
    • Sounds like a plan, thanks!

James Porter said:

Dave: ALL the Treniers' stuff rocked. "Poontang" was no fluke. Just ask John Battles. However, the album I just printed the link to isn't one of their best. There are other compilations of their essential OKeh/Epic sides, however...

SWT: just about all of Swamp Dogg's album covers were intentionally meant to shock...

• March 22, 2013 11:26 AM CDT
    • Dave: ALL the Treniers' stuff rocked. "Poontang" was no fluke. Just ask John Battles. However, the album I just printed the link to isn't one of their best. There are other compilations of their essential OKeh/Epic sides, however...

SWT: just about all of Swamp Dogg's album covers were intentionally meant to shock...

• March 21, 2013 3:18 PM CDT
    • I see what ya mean, gag-shop scary! Did their other stuff besides 'Poontang' rock? Haven't heard anything else.

James Porter said:

Oh, I got an ugly album cover for ya. So ugly I'm only gonna print the link.

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_250/MI0000/279/MI0000279535.jp...

See, Cliff and Claude Trenier were handsome dudes, but that colorized B&W picture has got to go!!! Makes them look like they were mounted and stuffed!

• March 21, 2013 5:11 AM CDT
    • Here are Witchfinder General plus topless extra starring on the cover of their rather good Death Penalty album:

Even worse, however, is the cover of a great album by D.I.

• March 21, 2013 1:35 AM CDT
    • I love Swamp Dogg's music, but some of his album covers ...

• March 21, 2013 12:42 AM CDT
    • Horny Bell Ends. From Utah ? Wow.

dave said:

Maybe not ugly, but scary.

here is the album cover for Utah reggae band Wasnatch's Front to Back. Their music, sadly, does not live up to the promise of the artwork. What could, really? But I bet Wasnatch tear it up on the Utah reggae circuit.

• March 21, 2013 12:41 AM CDT
    • Heino would be proud.

Tersicore said:

I´m at a loss for words! :D

• March 22, 2013 11:57 AM CDT
    • That's what I am curious to know more about, as I'd like to know more about frat rock.

• March 22, 2013 7:57 AM CDT
    • Many years ago, as I was just beginning to become obsessed with surf rock, I happened to pick up a copy of "Intoxica!" by the Revels on vinyl at a local music store.  I love the album and have treasured it ever since and though the biography inside intrigued me and my knowledge of and hunger for surf rock has grown immensely since then, I never really delved any deeper into that pre-surf rock "party band" instrumental sound of the late fifties.  Today I came across a recording of "Camel Walk" by The Saxons and the fire was lit once again.  Please, can anybody recommend their favorite tracks/artists from this slightly more primitive sub-genre or perhaps any amazing compilations I might be able to get my hands on?

• March 22, 2013 11:19 AM CDT
    • First time I heard the Flying Lizards'"Money," it was on WLUP (The Loop), Chicago's "death-to-disco" rock station. And even then, I think Steve Dahl and Garry Meier may have been making fun of it. As the song faded out, Steve said something like: "keep taking music lessons, kids, maybe you'll get better...THIS is the sound of the eighties, on WLUP-The Loop, 98 FM"

• March 21, 2013 10:04 PM CDT
    • i remember when Dr. Demento , on  Sundays at 10:00pm, was the only place to hear Punk , or stranger stuff like The Flying Lizards.....But , it was sporadic at best.
       I did'nt actually hear The Pistols' LP until my Brother bought it in 1980.

It was still rare that I'd meet anybody who went to The Pistols/Nervebreakers show at The Longhorn Ballroom in Dallas in Jan. 1978 , though , later , I'd meet several people who were there. They either hated it , but had a good time, anyway , or it turned their heads around , got them starting bands , or giving their already - formed bands an identity. Somehow , previous gigs by The Ramones and Dr. Feelgood did'nt seem to succeed at doing this.

Glenn Peart said:

I was listening to the Dr. Demento show on KMET, Los Angeles back in 1977. He was doing a 'Tribute to England' show playing comedy songs, but the last song he played was the Sex Pistols doing 'God Save the Queen'. I went out immediately and bought the import album on Virgin, since it had not been released in the U.S. on Warner Bros. yet. Right after that, I found the 'Rodney on the Roq' radio show on KROQ and starting listening every Sunday night at 9:00. I was lucky to have lived in LA at the time, since the scene there was an important one in the history of punk rock.

• March 21, 2013 8:04 PM CDT
    • I was listening to the Dr. Demento show on KMET, Los Angeles back in 1977. He was doing a 'Tribute to England' show playing comedy songs, but the last song he played was the Sex Pistols doing 'God Save the Queen'. I went out immediately and bought the import album on Virgin, since it had not been released in the U.S. on Warner Bros. yet. Right after that, I found the 'Rodney on the Roq' radio show on KROQ and starting listening every Sunday night at 9:00. I was lucky to have lived in LA at the time, since the scene there was an important one in the history of punk rock.

• March 22, 2013 9:38 AM CDT
    • Though most of the first two 20/20 albums are nothing but hits. I'm surprised they were not more mainstream. Great hooks and lyrics. The first album is my favorite, but the 2nd album's opening track "Nuclear Boy" is my favorite song. Seems like it should have been a top ten radio or MTV staple. Not too far of a stretch from Modern English, Ah Ha, or Simple Minds. I'm going to go play my 20/20 albums now.

• March 21, 2013 6:13 AM CDT
    • Cheers ChazDaddy! Good call, Bob Log III is brilliant, and Doo Rag too! I haven't heard much Guided by Voices but will check out more of their early stuff for sure.

ChazDaddy said:

Awesome list Ben E! Actually many great lists here as usual. I would have listed almost everyone you did, I could add Bob Log III or early GBV.

Ben E said:

The Gories, The 5678s, Pussy Galore, early Blues Explosion, Guitar Wolf (their first album, Wolf Rock, was recorded on a walkman!), Ty Segall (especially his first couple of albums), Bloodshot Bill, The King Khan and BBQ Show, Mark Sultan, Dirty Beaches..

• March 20, 2013 11:33 PM CDT
    • Budget Rock = The Mummies and Jonny Manak & The Depressives are a great team.

Lo - Fi = The Gories/early Dirtbombs are the best, period.

• March 20, 2013 10:22 PM CDT
    • Awesome list Ben E! Actually many great lists here as usual. I would have listed almost everyone you did, I could add Bob Log III or early GBV.

Ben E said:

The Gories, The 5678s, Pussy Galore, early Blues Explosion, Guitar Wolf (their first album, Wolf Rock, was recorded on a walkman!), Ty Segall (especially his first couple of albums), Bloodshot Bill, The King Khan and BBQ Show, Mark Sultan, Dirty Beaches..

• March 20, 2013 6:01 PM CDT
    • This week's show had music from Sam Coffey and The Iron Lungs, Buzzcocks, UK Subs, Undertones, The Sonics, The Scenics and music form Ty Segall & Mikal Cronin's Reverse Shark Attack album. 

Listen/download to the show here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20130319-1030-t1363685400.mp3

Blog post about Ty Segall & Mikal Cronin's Reverse Shark Attack here:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2013/03/reverse-shark-attack-show-447.html

The Play List:

1. Sam Coffey and The Iron Lungs – Have A 100
      2. The Coastliners – I’ll Be Gone
      3. Jan & Dean – Horace The Swinging School Bus Driver
      4. The Reply – Better You
      5. The Waldos – Busted
      6. Alex Chilton – Just To See You
      7. Steak House Mints – Don’t Mess With Me
      8. Shotgun Jimmie – Growing Like A Garden
      9. Wire – Love Bends
      10. Boats – O Telescope
      11. Papermaps – You Are My Gallows
      12. The Evens – Sooner Or Later
      13. Vice Creems – Won’t You Be My Girl
      14. The Sonics – Maintaining My Cool
      15. The Scenics – No Sleep
      16. Travel Check – Tripping Waves
      17. Carbonas – Butcher
      18. The Adverts – Back From The Dead (BBC Session)
      19. UK Subs – Tomorrow’s Girls (Single Version)
      20. Undertones – Get Over You
      21. Buzzcocks – I Don’t Mind
      22. Paul Jacobs – Being Yourself
      23. Paul Jacobs – Wrong Medication
      24. Ty Segall & Mikal Cronin – High School
      25. Ty Segall & Mikal Cronin – I Wear Black