Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• March 25, 2013 1:38 PM CDT
    • These guys are like the Temptations of metal with the swinging of the hair in unison. They should sell the rights for use of this image in Rogaine commercials (I think he even says Rogaine!), hmmph maybe. From Sweden: Amon Amarth: The Pursuit of the Vikings

• March 25, 2013 1:26 PM CDT
    • Today I'm in the A's, starting with Amarok (Chico, CA).  I have to listen to this at least once a day, amazing: Amarok, Part I

• March 25, 2013 1:06 PM CDT
    •  Not at all!! I'm Cramped is lifted note for note from an instro called "Bust Out" by The Busters as someone must have mentioned above. There are many Psychotic Reaction ripoffs mainly taking the "fast/slow" bit as that is the most memorable thing about that song (which I'm Cramped does not do...)

Chris Skoczen said:

I'm sure someone must have mentioned it, but I'm Cramped is just Psychotic Reaction by the Count Five with different lyrics.

• March 25, 2013 1:02 PM CDT
    • ...as far as the Sex Pistols, I had heard bits and pieces here and there, but hadn't bought the album itself until the spring of '87. Compared to the hardcore I was hearing on one of the local college stations, Never Mind The Bollocks sounded almost professional.

• March 25, 2013 12:45 PM CDT
    • John - the second issue of Kicks (from 1979) included an article on 60s Chicago bands by my friend Cary Baker. Before he launched into the past, he included a quick sum-up of the present, talking about how The Loop had started beefing up their playlist with punk and new wave oriented acts, like Wayne Kramer and Johnny Thunders (!!!). This, coupled with the Disco Demolition event, looked like Chicago rock radio was about to enter a renaissance. Now, Baker laughs at how tame the Loop was - sure, they embraced the New Music, but wouldn't go but so far. Still, at the time, playing Patti Smith and Talking Heads next to Molly Hatchet and Van Halen seemed like a major coup. If Wayne Kramer got played, it was probably during an early period of experimentation where they were trying to find out what stuck and what slid. Evidently Kramer and Thunders' music slid straight to the floor while the Knack got all the gravy. As far as Sunday nights at 11 PM, in Chicago that was Dr. Demento time. How I awoke in time for school the next morning, I'll never know, but at least I went to sleep laughing.

• March 25, 2013 12:33 PM CDT
    • Not sure if this counts???

• March 25, 2013 12:27 PM CDT
    • Better than the original? More punk definitely. Best of all.... She's Scottish, haha. Amazing stuff

• March 25, 2013 12:19 PM CDT
    • Uuuuuurgh! Great album tho.

• March 25, 2013 10:19 AM CDT
    • A friend of mine who does liner notes for reissues (John, you know him too) once told me that major labels HATE to run black and white photos on covers. It subconsciously keeps younger buyers away. Okay, I admit that a few embellishments here 'n' there don't hurt - say, a black-and-white photo with color print (like Bear Family did for the Treniers), or even a mockup of an old 50s poster (like Sony Legacy did on They Rock!). But that bad colorization job that Sony Special Products used on Rockin' Is Our Bizness is unforgivable, even for a budget label.

• March 24, 2013 8:41 PM CDT
    • James , have you ever known me to stray from the point? Yes , Bear Family (Who , I heard , did'nt take care of the surviving Treniers like Sony did.) did the smart thing , and ran photos from their high energy stage act , while Edsel ran a great full band photo (Tinted , yes , but not like that "Get your picture taken and colorized at the mall" DOG that is the original pic you put up ! ).

James Porter said:

And to bring this back to the original topic: most Treniers reissues I've seen have better covers than the one I reprinted eight posts and three days ago! Pee-yew!!!

• March 24, 2013 8:35 PM CDT
    • I believe it.....It's just that , in most cases , we no longer have to settle for someone recording off his stereo with a hand - held mike.Collectibles has done some good sounding collections , it's true , my mind always wanders back to the great Floyd Dakil comp....but BEWARE , buyer , BEWARE !! Actually , some of the later EVA
       CDs are'nt too bad , at that....There's one on Arthur Lee and Love , with the pre - Love recordings , and the celebrated , unreleased album , "I Don't Want No White Woman" , I mean , "Black Beauty", plus later stuff , like Arthur and Baby Lemonade running thru "Feathered Fish".....They also updated their Little Richie Marsh / Seeds comp to include all The Little Richie March stuff (That is , if you need all of it. Consult Norton first , if so. ) , The Seeds' MGM sides (Mostly great.) all with improved sound (Would like to see Sundazed or somebody release 'em on an EP with improved sound , still....) , and a half - dozen decent live tracks from Sky Saxon's LA invasion of The 80's.
      James Porter said:

I think Collectables has a Treniers compilation in their catalog as well.

Neither Collectables nor Eva are the ultimate reissue labels, although I have heard isolated releases from either that had quality sound, if you can believe that.

• March 24, 2013 8:22 PM CDT
    • Swamp Dogg looks like Tupac on the "Resurrection" cover. Sorry , it's true. Just like it's true Tupac has come back from the dead several times. 

swt said:

I love Swamp Dogg's music, but some of his album covers ...

• March 24, 2013 8:11 PM CDT
    • And to bring this back to the original topic: most Treniers reissues I've seen have better covers than the one I reprinted eight posts and three days ago! Pee-yew!!!

• March 24, 2013 8:09 PM CDT
    • I think Collectables has a Treniers compilation in their catalog as well.

Neither Collectables nor Eva are the ultimate reissue labels, although I have heard isolated releases from either that had quality sound, if you can believe that.

• March 24, 2013 7:53 PM CDT
    • Yeah , that's the one....But , there's been a few others , since then , out of Europe , where people appreciate American music. I think the excellent UK budget label , Proper , did one , too. IN ENGLAND , THE COPYRIGHT LAWS WERE LIFTED ON ALL THIS FINE , FINE , ROCK'N'ROLL, C&W AND R'N'B , AND ME AND A CHIMPANZEE , AGREED , WHICH MEANS ENTERPRISING LABELS CAN EXPLOIT MUSIC LEGENDS (NOTHING NEW , THERE. I even had to tell a few people they were on a RHINO compilation. ), BUT , they're doing it with real class. Particularly Proper , who are doing 4 CD sets of rare American and UK ROCK'N'ROLL AND PROTO - Rock'n'Roll  that'll run you back about 12 - 14 Yankee Dollars , here. AND the sound is great. Love me some public domain , but , that's the reason we've always had fer'shit sounding labels like Collectibles (Not always , but , often.) , Eva (ALWAYS.) AND SO FORTH.

• March 25, 2013 12:16 PM CDT
    • 'The best part of Beiber ran down his mothers leg!' taxi drivers quote to me, Saturday night, haha

• March 25, 2013 10:12 AM CDT
    • If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Mark E. Smith

• March 25, 2013 10:10 AM CDT
    • All those whose mind entitles themselves, And whose main entitle is themselves, Shall feel the wrath of my bombast!
      Mark E. Smith

• March 25, 2013 12:16 PM CDT

• Ryan Hatt said:

That one goes to the MC5 - there's more of them, they're beefier, and The Stooges were constantly fucked up on heroin.
      haha true

• March 25, 2013 12:11 PM CDT
    • Stooges have better studio albums but MC5's Black to Comm kicks it in my opinion ( I need too check out Stooges bonus stuff)

Mc5 would kick Stooges ass even if they were fewer. 

But Stooges are maybe more cool guys and MC5 tough guys...

• March 25, 2013 11:52 AM CDT
    • Honestly? I'm not sure there's a contest here if we're basing the reward off of musical offerings. The Stooges win hands down. The Mc5 have a couple of great songs but the majority of tracks from their first two albums remind me of Van Morrison's later years. They just don't hold up to the ferocity of Kick Out the Jams or Teenage Lust. The Stooges on the other hand have three magical albums and a crazy ammount of amazing bonus tracks floating around in comps and, at least in my encounters, have inspired a great deal more musicians. Fun House as a whole is one of my favorite albums ever and spans a little-traversed gap between hallucinatory dreamscapes and fucking crazed sonic attack. Cool factor? While releasing one of the first popularish rock albums to contain the word Motherfucker is certainly cool, it doesn't beat lacerating yourself with a broken bottle on stage or smearing yourself with peanut butter an audience member happens to give you after you've jumped offstage and fought through bouncers. While I certainly enjoy the MC5 and I have nothing against those who might believe strongly in the opposite side of this argument, in my world there is no contest that the Stooges come out on top. To quote Ty Segall, "The Stooges are fucking mysterious!" As far as a fight goes though? That one goes to the MC5 - there's more of them, they're beefier, and The Stooges were constantly fucked up on heroin.

• March 25, 2013 10:28 AM CDT
    • Stooges are cooler, but in a rumble I'd want MC5 to have my back.

Just sayin'.

-A

THEE DIRTYBEATS 100% maximum vintage garage
      http://www.theedirtybeats.com

• March 25, 2013 10:52 AM CDT
    • i'm gonna agree with a few others here on the reccomendations for The Dyes and The Black Belles. I saw the Black Belles recently at a local bar and they were pretty boss. Pussycat & the Dirty Johnsons are pretty neat, too.

and...YES you should be doing posts like this! that's what the hideout's for. :)

• March 25, 2013 9:57 AM CDT
    • Growing up in the white-bread suburbs of Harrisburg PA, my summer teen band TNT circa '70-'76 used to cover the Kinks "You Really Got Me." The drummer transcribed the lyrics from the 45 for me and I used to sing in the first verse "... You got me so I can't see bat nine." HUH... SEE BAT NINE???!!! Which, of course, translated in Ray's drunken Limey slurred lingo, "sleep at night," natch! I still sing SBN in my mind's eye whenever I hear that song played. Hehehe!

• March 25, 2013 5:59 AM CDT
    • Show #414: "The Eggman Collection #132" playlist:

Queen - "Procession/Father To Son/White Queen (As It Began)"
      Badfinger - "Timeless"
      Manfred Mann's Earth Band - "Part Time Man"
      Pearls Before Swine - "Snow Queen"
      The Who - "Hall Of The Mountain King"
      Van Morrison - "Crazy Face"
      Loudon Wainwright III - "Black Uncle Remus"
      American Blues - "All I Saw Was You"
      Amen Corner - "The World Of Broken Hearts"
      Le Orme - "Ad Gloriam"
      The Cars - "I'm In Touch With Your World"
      The Roman Numerals - "Matchstick In A Whirlpool"
      Dransfield - "The Alchemist And The Pedlar"
      The Peep Show - "What A Funny Name (I Like Fat Girls)"
      Cat Stevens - "I'm Gonna Be King"
      Spectrum - "Quiabo's"
      The Bachs - "Tables Of Grass Fields"
      Marty Rhone - "Every Minute Of You"
      The Tremeloes - "What Can I Do"
      The Cyrkle - "Kites"
      Pretty Things - "Love Is Good"
      The Heptones - "How Can I Leave"
      Status Quo - "Elizabeth Dreams"
      Rainbow - "4 Leaf Clover"
      Erkin Koray - "Aska Inanmiyorum"
      Fair Weather - "Haven't I Tried"
      Fickle Pickle - "Sinful Skinful"
      The Creation - "Uncle Bert"
      Arcadium - "Change Me"
      Clifford T. Ward - "Wherewithal"
      Turquoise - "Tales Of Flossie Fillett"
      King Crimson - "Starless"
      Robert Wyatt - "Little Red Robin Hood Hit The Road"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/414.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/414.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show by "liking it" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Meta ... 6748511750
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg