Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• March 26, 2013 9:22 AM CDT
    • Yeah, Stooges.

• March 25, 2013 4:57 PM CDT
    • "Their politics were more Oaxacan" , that's pretty funny. I wonder if some people took that to mean "Wow, these guys have studied the Indigenous peoples of Mexico " , or.....

" PFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTT......HEUUHHH ! KOFF ! KOFF ! Up in smoke , that's where my money goes.....in my lungs , and , sometimes up my nose....HEUUGHHH !!!"

G. Wood said:

They didn't have any guns or bombs, and as the big Rolling Stone article said back then, their politics were more Oaxacan than...er revolution? Whatever, I don't remember, exactly. 

• March 25, 2013 4:33 PM CDT
    • The Stooges and The MC5 each had three great (Official) albums , but , for very different reasons. Both bands were influenced by Avant Jazz and , probably , the likes of John Cage and Stockhausen , early on , but , it seems like The Stooges kept bending and shaping it into different patterns , but , still in a Rock context. Most of the time. Would you call "L.A. Blues" Rock'n'Roll ? Does it matter ? The Five began to drift from the Free Jazz influence (At least , the blatant influence.) around the time John Sinclair went to jail. It's too easy for people to say "Oh , "Back In The USA" was so overproduced" , which is ironic , as Jon Landau had never produced an album prior to that. But  , I felt the same way , the first time I heard it , but , of course , I realize , and have for 25 + years , that it contains some of their finest original songs , and that it helped pave the way for Pub Rock and Power Pop. "High Time" had it all , great songs , and a much harder  sound , not to mention a smattering of horns that WORKS , and some amphetamized tempos that definitely foresaw Punk ("Gotta Keep Movin'", "Skunk (Sonically Speaking)" , e.g.).....

It's funny , I saw an early review of "Raw Power" that compared James Williamson's guitar work to that of "The old MC5 records" (Of course, the Five had just split up , recently , but , music was moving faster than it is , now.). Both bands went through a lot of changes , musically and personally , in a very short time.

I don't like to think of them in a fight , I like to think of them fighting , together. There were too many common enemies at the time. Rob Tyner , by then , a family man , stated that John Sinclair's revolutionary rhetoric was detrimental to the band doing what they did to just make a living. They were being put in the position of feeding all these hangers - on , before they could feed themselves . Now , I've met John Sinclair , and he was a nice man , and , very consequential in the development of Detroit Rock'n'Roll. I was also fortunate enough to have spoken at length with Tyner , and , while he may have renounced Sinclair's politics  , he was always one for giving his peers their due , whether it was The Rationals , The SRC ("They were like us , but , they had class.".) , or The Stooges. Met with an audience that either thought The 60's was the age of peace and love , or thought newer bands like Guns 'n' Roses were keeping The MC5's flame burning , Rob emphatically cried , "NO !!!!" , and told the young'uns they needed to hear "Raw Power" as much as they did "Kick Out The Jams".....Of course , the two bands morphed into groups like The New Order , Destroy All Monsters , and Sonics Rendezvous Band , all of which shared members......even though they did'nt always agree.

"Iggy Pop's a little faggot . WE were the world's forgotton boys!" Dennis Thompson.

Well , who'd win in a fight , based on the info we have , here? There were only Four Stooges , unless you want to count Steven McCay. But , Scott Asheton was known for being the baddest motherfucker on the scene. THAT STORY IN "PLEASE KILL ME" , where he mopped up the floor with some jockboys who were fucking with Wayne Kramer and Fred Smith for looking cool , and this was before he even knew those guys  , beyond the fact that his Sister was dating Smith .

As far as junk was concerned , both bands only had one member , each , at one point , who refused to bow to King Heroin , Ron Asheton and Rob Tyner , respectively.

Both bands are so different in many ways , yet , alike in other ways.

You don't have to like one to like the other , but , the two have always gone hand in hand.

• March 25, 2013 4:27 PM CDT
    • They didn't have any guns or bombs, and as the big Rolling Stone article said back then, their politics were more Oaxacan than...er revolution? Whatever, I don't remember, exactly. 

• March 25, 2013 2:36 PM CDT
    • Yeah Stooges where a more important/influencial band musically, and have more musical depth, and more "roll" to their rock,  but MC5 had guns and bombs and were activists.  

That being said Iggy Pop would be able to survive anything, so he might be last one standing! ; )

• March 26, 2013 8:44 AM CDT
    • Oops. Mixed it up with "all around the world". Sorry, and glad you caught that.

• March 26, 2013 4:13 AM CDT
    • If Titus Turner recorded "Fever," I never heard it, but he didn't write it. That was penned by Eddie Cooley and "John Davenport" (actually Otis Blackwell under an assumed name).

• March 25, 2013 8:21 PM CDT
    • Right. Little Willie John had The R'n'B hit , and Peggy Lee had The Pop hit , which was huge.

I think The Cramps drew more from Elvis' great version , but , I dunno.

the Record Detective said:

Titus Turner wrote and released Fever. I have not heard that particular version, but have little willie john, little milton and long john hunter.

• March 25, 2013 6:25 PM CDT
    • Titus Turner wrote and released Fever. I have not heard that particular version, but have little willie john, little milton and long john hunter.

• March 25, 2013 3:38 PM CDT
    • Yeah , I mentioned that , earlier. There's no mistaking , if you hear "Bust Out" by The Busters , that it's the skeleton for "I'm Cramped".   'Psychotic Reaction" by The Count Five .....Well , it influenced "Psychotic Reaction" by The Cramps....Hello ? Is this thing on?  Wow .Tough crowd.

• March 26, 2013 8:35 AM CDT
    • British band called Malachai. Check'em out. Influenced by everything we love

• March 26, 2013 8:33 AM CDT
    • Loverly!

• March 25, 2013 3:02 PM CDT
    • Fkn Love A R E Weapons. Saw'em in Glasgow in 2000. Awesome

• March 26, 2013 3:30 AM CDT
    • really stupid but,

when I was a kid I really LOVED Michael Jackson, and he had the song "give in to me" with Slash from Guns n Roses, so I asked my dad to buy me a Guns n Roses cd, and he bought me the Spaghetti Incident, needless to say a ten year old hearing a song with the opening line "ATTITUDE, YOU GOT SOME FUCKING ATTITUDE", was pretty blown away, and by the time I was 11, The Misfits were my favourite band, for a while I was mostly listening to the misfits, and everyone at my school was into rock music and skateboarding suddenly, the whole 2001-2002 popular rock/metal/pop punk bands, and being 11/12 I wanted to fit in with them, but then suddenly everyone stopped listening to that stuff and I didn't, so I continued just listening to mostly mainstream rock bands, still with the misfits as my favourite bands I got into Black Flag, and other u.s. hardcore bands, and the Tony Hawk's skateboarding video games had  great soundtracks too I'd end up looking up all these bands on the internet and finding out as much as I could about them. After hearing all these bands it's hard to see the appeal of what you'd hear on a mainstream rock music station..

started spending more and more time finding bands, and going to gigs, and making the best of friends over this music.

• March 26, 2013 12:09 AM CDT
    • (1) Trivia note: the first time I heard Dr. Demento's program, the first song he played that night was the Novas'"The Crusher." I almost died laughing. I had just turned eleven.

(2) From fall '78-spring '80, Dr. D ruled my world. Then, by accident, I found out that a local Top 40 station (WEFM) was running a Sunday night oldies show, and for a while I went back and forth between Dr. D playing "Dead Puppies" and Dan Walker playing Blue Cheer's "Summertime Blues" (first time hearing it, and my mind was blown). Novelty and comedy records may have rocked my world for an adolescent minute, but the older I got, the more I wanted to hear some real music. I can dig humor, but I can respect Spike Jones more than I actually want to listen to him. I do thank Dr. D for making me a teenage fan of Cheech & Chong...

(3) Actually, the period of experimentation for The Loop was just starting to kick in around the time of Disco Demolition. Just because they might have played Kramer once doesn't mean he stayed on the list. But, this was 1979; playing power-pop alongside meathead hard rockers was what they settled on once the smoke cleared, and was supposed to be the sign of a new era or something. For the remainder of '79 and all of 1980, that was the basic sound of WLUP. If your band was on a major label and was imitating the Cars, you were guaranteed Loop airplay at the time. I stopped listening in early '81 after they canned Steve and Garry (the first time); the Loop is still an FM rock station, but if you call the request line asking to hear the Records'"Starry Eyes," Dave Edmunds'"Girls Talk," or the Inmates'"Dirty Water," I doubt if they'll play them (or even know what the hell you were talking about). Those songs were definitely part of the rotation in 1980, however.  

John Battles said:

When I was visiting in Chicago in the Summer of '79 , The Disco Demolition had just happened , AND The Knack just broke. So , maybe , The Loop's  period of experimentation was about over . The most adventuresome thing I remember hearing on WLUP was ZZ Top. I did hear "Blockhead" by Devo on WXRT , and even tho' I knew who Devo were , I knew I was'nt going to be hearing THEM back in Texas......at least , I did'nt , until "Jerking Back and Forth" (A minor hit.) and "Whip It". I crashed out to "Dr. Demento" , Sunday nights , in the Late 70's , too , but , when George Gimarc's show got my ear , "Dead Puppies" had to GO. However, they started playing Dr. Demento in the early 80's , I think , on Saturday afternoon. That was when I first heard "The Crusher" by The Novas. I knew The Cramps' version, but, I thought , "My God ! This guy sounds like he's choking to death on his own vomit !! THIS is Hardcore.") 

James Porter said:

John - the second issue of Kicks (from 1979) included an article on 60s Chicago bands by my friend Cary Baker. Before he launched into the past, he included a quick sum-up of the present, talking about how The Loop had started beefing up their playlist with punk and new wave oriented acts, like Wayne Kramer and Johnny Thunders (!!!). This, coupled with the Disco Demolition event, looked like Chicago rock radio was about to enter a renaissance. Now, Baker laughs at how tame the Loop was - sure, they embraced the New Music, but wouldn't go but so far. Still, at the time, playing Patti Smith and Talking Heads next to Molly Hatchet and Van Halen seemed like a major coup. If Wayne Kramer got played, it was probably during an early period of experimentation where they were trying to find out what stuck and what slid. Evidently Kramer and Thunders' music slid straight to the floor while the Knack got all the gravy. As far as Sunday nights at 11 PM, in Chicago that was Dr. Demento time. How I awoke in time for school the next morning, I'll never know, but at least I went to sleep laughing.

• March 25, 2013 4:51 PM CDT
    • When I was visiting in Chicago in the Summer of '79 , The Disco Demolition had just happened , AND The Knack just broke. So , maybe , The Loop's  period of experimentation was about over . The most adventuresome thing I remember hearing on WLUP was ZZ Top. I did hear "Blockhead" by Devo on WXRT , and even tho' I knew who Devo were , I knew I was'nt going to be hearing THEM back in Texas......at least , I did'nt , until "Jerking Back and Forth" (A minor hit.) and "Whip It". I crashed out to "Dr. Demento" , Sunday nights , in the Late 70's , too , but , when George Gimarc's show got my ear , "Dead Puppies" had to GO. However, they started playing Dr. Demento in the early 80's , I think , on Saturday afternoon. That was when I first heard "The Crusher" by The Novas. I knew The Cramps' version, but, I thought , "My God ! This guy sounds like he's choking to death on his own vomit !! THIS is Hardcore.") 

James Porter said:

John - the second issue of Kicks (from 1979) included an article on 60s Chicago bands by my friend Cary Baker. Before he launched into the past, he included a quick sum-up of the present, talking about how The Loop had started beefing up their playlist with punk and new wave oriented acts, like Wayne Kramer and Johnny Thunders (!!!). This, coupled with the Disco Demolition event, looked like Chicago rock radio was about to enter a renaissance. Now, Baker laughs at how tame the Loop was - sure, they embraced the New Music, but wouldn't go but so far. Still, at the time, playing Patti Smith and Talking Heads next to Molly Hatchet and Van Halen seemed like a major coup. If Wayne Kramer got played, it was probably during an early period of experimentation where they were trying to find out what stuck and what slid. Evidently Kramer and Thunders' music slid straight to the floor while the Knack got all the gravy. As far as Sunday nights at 11 PM, in Chicago that was Dr. Demento time. How I awoke in time for school the next morning, I'll never know, but at least I went to sleep laughing.

• March 25, 2013 4:40 PM CDT
    • That's a great story.

Xeno said:

I was about 11-12 years old and whilst rummaging around our garage (seems apt) I found the 'too drunk too fuck' single that was my old man's, I laughed and thought Jesus fuck I gotta hear that! I thought it was hilarious and searched for more and more and more....

• March 25, 2013 2:18 PM CDT
    • I was about 11-12 years old and whilst rummaging around our garage (seems apt) I found the 'too drunk too fuck' single that was my old man's, I laughed and thought Jesus fuck I gotta hear that! I thought it was hilarious and searched for more and more and more....

• March 25, 2013 9:09 PM CDT
    • La Luz are awesome! worth checking out Teen Velvettes, The Bell Peppers(me), Spring King, Beach skulls, The Group sound. also Messa chups have gone well surf these days...

• March 25, 2013 7:12 PM CDT
    • you have me curious now! (i bet it does beat the original)

dave said:

Shit, Youtube deleted the Oblivions cover (it's on Popular Favorites)

• March 25, 2013 7:10 PM CDT
    • Good cover indeed!
      The drums is so straight! remind me a german battle tank, a Panzer, somehow!;) 

Andy Climax said:

Better than the original? More punk definitely. Best of all.... She's Scottish, haha. Amazing stuff

• March 25, 2013 6:16 PM CDT
    • Ha ha, to make a complete fool of myself??  
      FORGET IT!!! ;P

John Battles said:

NO , PLEASE ! DO !!!   We're laughing WITH you , not at you.

Tersicore said:

Ha ha, i always mishear something, so i better don´t even start to tell... ;D

• March 25, 2013 5:41 PM CDT
    • NO , PLEASE ! DO !!!   We're laughing WITH you , not at you.

Tersicore said:

Ha ha, i always mishear something, so i better don´t even start to tell... ;D

• March 25, 2013 5:35 PM CDT
    • Ha ha, i always mishear something, so i better don´t even start to tell... ;D

• March 25, 2013 5:09 PM CDT
    • Ha Ha . Thank you , Erik. I was beginning to think I should clean out some of the cobwebs , here.... See Bat Nine. HA HA. CLOSE ENOUGH.

Of course , nobody got "Paranoia Thee Destroyer!" right in the states , because we generally don't pronounce "The" with a hard "E" .