Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 16, 2013 7:37 PM CST
    • Pete Shelley of the Buzzcocks has been using Eastwood guitars on tour for years, and likes them fine. (He even has an Eastwood signature model, based around the Starway guitar he used at the Buzzcocks' earliest shows!) I also know Mike Magrann of CH3 tours with an Eastwood Stormbird (their version of a Firebird). He likes his just fine.

• January 16, 2013 6:30 PM CST
    • If you like kbd style punk, then you'll like a majority of Towers of London. 

• January 16, 2013 4:47 PM CST
    • @dumfuk. 

Hey. This thread was so drawing that it actually, finally got me to join the Hideout. Kinda.

And now that I'm here, I'd like to know if there's any chance of getting a hold of/hearing your said punk radio-show from the '80s?

Thanks!

-Korsy

Ps. I've also - without knowing even one of the bands or their music - mail-ordered the Towers of New London vol. 1-compilation. It just looks special and great. 

• January 16, 2013 6:04 PM CST
    • Fuck people who can't take a joke

Paul Messis said:

Don't ya hate when bands sell out as stupidly as this???

Bands these days are so quick to get known and famous, sometimes to the detriment of keeping their integrity intact.

Fuck these groups.

• January 16, 2013 4:31 AM CST
    • Don't ya hate when bands sell out as stupidly as this???

Bands these days are so quick to get known and famous, sometimes to the detriment of keeping their integrity intact.

Fuck these groups.

• January 16, 2013 5:45 PM CST
    • Well said!

John Battles said:

For that , alone , he should be written in , First President of Australia.

dave said:

Chris Bailey (Saints)

[laughs] I don't mean this in any bad sense, but I always found the Ramones very cartoon-like. When I first heard them, they were like the Archies, an American comic-book kind of band. The Ramones in fact go back to the Shirelles and the Ronettes and that Phil Spector kind of music. For me punk was the wrong kind of tag for the Ramones. I always had a lot of time for them- invigorating pop music.

• January 16, 2013 5:38 PM CST
    • For that , alone , he should be written in , First President of Australia.

dave said:

Chris Bailey (Saints)

[laughs] I don't mean this in any bad sense, but I always found the Ramones very cartoon-like. When I first heard them, they were like the Archies, an American comic-book kind of band. The Ramones in fact go back to the Shirelles and the Ronettes and that Phil Spector kind of music. For me punk was the wrong kind of tag for the Ramones. I always had a lot of time for them- invigorating pop music.

• January 16, 2013 4:38 PM CST
    • Chris Bailey (Saints)

• January 16, 2013 5:24 PM CST
    • I HAD SOME NEW ADD-ONS , HERE , BUT , THEY GOT DELETED . wILL GET BACK TO YOU , LATER.  

• January 16, 2013 5:07 PM CST
    • you know , it may be social suicide , saying so , but , I thought "I Want Candy" sounded pretty damn good on the radio , even if it was about a year old at the time. I actually had to buy an Oldies 45 to hear The Strangeloves'
      original (A great Rock'n'Roll hoax , pretending to be Sheep breeders from Australia.).... 
      Mitchhz said:

Yeah well perhaps I souldn't have used the word 'originals'. There are no originals, there's always something that's come before! See for example this page about Misirlou: http://www.dinosaurgardens.com/archives/297. There was even a better one with videos embedded that I found some months ago but I can't find it any longer.

The legacy of the Rivingtons is huge. Papa-Oo-Mow-Mow (or Mama-Oo-Mow-Mow which is even better) and The Bird's the Word have inspired hundreds of fantastic songs, some of them little known like Surfin' Bird by Wade Curtiss or Papa-Oo-Mao-Mao by the Deviants.

But what I like is suddenly discovering that a song I was so familiar with had in fact an 'oroginal'. For example, I was so delighted when I finally got to hear the 'original' version of Tainted Love (Gloria Jones) or I Want Candy by the Strangeloves and not Bow-Wow-Wow...

• January 16, 2013 5:00 PM CST
    • THE PRIMARY RIFF IS SIMILAR , BUT , "I'M CRAMPED " IS REALLY BASED , DIRECTLY , ON "BUST OUT " BY THE BUSTERS , WHICH CAME OUT SEVERAL YEARS BEFORE "PSYCHOTIC REACTION".

Chris Skoczen said:

I'm sure someone must have mentioned it, but I'm Cramped is just Psychotic Reaction by the Count Five with different lyrics.

• January 16, 2013 4:57 PM CST
    • Well put. I was just asked , the other day , about bands that sound like The Cramps.  
       I WAS HARD -PRESSED TO THINK OF MORE THAN ONE OR TWO , AND  i'VE HAD PEOPLE TELLING ME THIS BAND OR THAT SOUNDED LIKE THE CRAMPS FOR ALMOST 30 YEARS.

Of course , there was Deja Voodoo , and , mor erecently , The Dyes , from Chicago .
      Sam Sinister said:

"The Crusher" from Off The Bone was originally by The Novas.

I don't really know why you're counting a lot of these as originals of the Cramps' songs. Borrowing a riff or a beat or the "feel" of a song doesn't really count for much in this type of music (punk, garage, rockabilly, etc.), in my opinion. Everyone is derivative of everyone else, it's part of the appeal. ;)

• January 16, 2013 1:12 PM CST
    • I'm sure someone must have mentioned it, but I'm Cramped is just Psychotic Reaction by the Count Five with different lyrics.

• January 16, 2013 4:10 PM CST
    • This is just fuckin brutal. Amazing shit (again) from Pissed Jeans! Enjoyz!

• January 16, 2013 5:34 AM CST
    • Yeah, and Amy Farina can beat! :)
      When are they coming to Europe???

Andy Climax said:

I have just got this sent to me 5 minutes ago. Ian Mckaye from Fugazi. Fuck it, that boy can punk! Enjoy

• January 16, 2013 1:20 PM CST
    • Like the man says....gutted..... Wilko Johnson is an icon......His music will live on....

• January 16, 2013 12:22 PM CST
    • I love the Cramps, but "Lonesome Town" is one I can't sit through!

• January 16, 2013 5:57 AM CST
    • Ok, I confess: 

I never liked bands like AC/DC, Queen, Kiss, Guns n´Roses et al, even if they had some great songs, for the fact that I HATE high Voices coming from Guys!  

and, confession nr. 2 

except for a short time at the beginning and a few songs, I don´t like The Clash that much!  There, said it!

• January 16, 2013 12:01 PM CST
    • So digging Electric Wizard right now, Particularly the Dopethrone and Black Masses LPs. But hell, they are pretty much killer throughout. Black Sabbath always, and I once saw the Melvins do a live instrumental set in an arthouse cinema over a film about Krampusnacht. My ears were ringing for days, so epic.

• January 16, 2013 4:41 AM CST
    • Yes big fan here too.  Although I'm so hip, I was into it when we still called it 'doom metal'

• January 16, 2013 4:48 AM CST
    • Fugazi´s Instrument Soundtrack has lot of short tracks

I´m so tired:

• January 16, 2013 3:38 AM CST
    • Mau Maus - The Kill off the compilation LP Wargasm

• January 16, 2013 4:33 AM CST
    • Most of the bands today are goddamn cartoons and they don't even know it.