Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 17, 2013 11:19 PM CST
    • Well, I'm intrigued and eagerly await any details. Thanks for the posting swt... I have good reason to visit Reno, so that would be awesome!

• January 17, 2013 11:09 PM CST
    • I don't know a lot of these bands , but , The Sloths should at least be third on the bill. I found out about this , earlier today. Could be a nice jones reliever untilThe Ponderosa Stomp.

• January 17, 2013 11:44 AM CST
    • Just got this press release from Slovenly Records

Slovenly Recordings & Sticker Guy! present
      DEBAUCH-A-RENO #2 
      CELEBRATING THE 20TH ANNIVERSARY OF STICKER GUY! (Since 1993)
      Reno, Nevada, USA. 22-23 March 2013

CONFIRMED SO FAR:

THE SONICS (Tacoma)

THE GORIES (Detroit)

DEMON'S CLAWS (Canada)
      THE SLOTHS (Los Angeles)

ACID BABY JESUS (Greece)

HELLSHOVEL (Canada)

SHANNON & THE CLAMS (Oakland)
      PAINT FUMES
       (Charlotte)

LAS ARDILLAS (Puerto Rico)

LOS VIGILANTES (Puerto Rico)

KING AUTOMATIC (France)

TROUBLEMAKERS (Sacramento)

THE ANOMALYS (Amsterdam)

THE PSYCHED (Brooklyn)

SCURVY BASTARDS (Reno)

SURPRISE SPECIAL GUEST (Canada)

DJs

The Thing With Two Heads (PA)

Pete Slovenly (Nowhere)

Dahbeeb Brustafa (Reno)

Vinyl Avenger (Amsterdam)

MORE TO COME, STAY TUNED...

www.slovenly.com/debauch-a-reno

• January 17, 2013 7:50 PM CST
    • HI!! I'm in 2 bands...THE ViGNETTES & OBJECTUM SEXUALS coming to a town near YOU (USA only for now...)
      Listed below are our show details thus far, as well as links and press about the bands. Help is needed in cities with no info specified. If you know of any awesome bands or venues in those towns or if you could help us set up a show, please email thevignettes@yahoo.com. Advice is greatly appreciated!!

Here are the dates:
      Wed, 3/20: JACKSON, MS @
      Yeti Cave wit Hvy Yeti and Rat Kings
      Thurs, 3/21: NEW ORLEANS, LA
      Fri, 3/22: TUSCALOOSA/BIRMINGHAM, AL
      Sat, 3/23: ATHENS, GA @ Flicker Theatre with The Humms and Koko Beware
      Sun, 3/24: ATLANTA, GA
      Tues, 3/26: SAVANNAH, GA
      Wed, 3/27: CHARLESTON/COLUMBIA, SC
      Thurs, 3/28: CHARLOTTE, NC @ The Milestone with TBA
      Fri, 3/29: CHAPEL HILL/RALEIGH, NC
      Sat, 3/30: RICHMOND, VA @ Bauhaus with Blue Rajas, Christi, Hot Dolphin
      Sun, 3/31: GREENSBORO, NC @ New York Pizza with TBA
      Wed, 4/3: ASHEVILLE, NC
      Thu, 4/4: KNOXVILLE, TN
      Fri, 4/5: DECATUR, AL @ Excalibur Vintage & Vinyl with TBA
      Sat, 4/6: NASHVILLE, TN

Thurs, 4/25: SHREVEPORT, LA
      Fri, 4/26: DALLAS/FORT WORTH, TX
      Sun, 4/28: LUBBOCK, TX
      Mon, 4/29: LAS CRUCES, NM
      Tues, 4/30: PHOENIX, AZ with ACORN BCORN
      Wed, 5/1: SAN PEDRO, CA with ACORN BCORN and Bombon
      Thurs, 5/2: SAN FRANCISCO, CA @ Hemlock Tavern with ACORN BCORN
      Fri, 5/3: SACRAMENTO, CA with ACORN BCORN
      Sat, 5/4: EUGENE, OR
      Sun, 5/5: PORTLAND, OR
      Mon, 5/6: SPOKANE, WA
      Tues, 5/7: MISSOULA, MT @ Zoo City Apparel with TBA
      Wed, 5/8: BILLINGS, MT with Maxie Ford
      Thurs, 5/9: MINOT, ND @ Pangea House with TBA
      Fri, 5/10 and Sat, 5/11: MINNEAPOLIS, MN GIRLS GOT RHYTHM FEST
      Wed, 5/15: OMAHA, NE
      Thurs, 5/16: IOWA CITY, IA
      Fri and Sat, 5/17 and 5/18: CHICAGO, IL
      Sun, 5/19: ST. LOUIS, MO with Bruiser Queen

-

Here is more info about our bands:
      ♫ THE ViGNETTES (Memphis, TN):
      Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1PZMhowNw
      Listen: www.reverbnation.com/vignettesmemphis
      More info: www.facebook.com/thevignettesmemphis

"Full bore, cranked-up, dirty, ass-punching two-piece rock-n-roll. I haven't heard two girls kick this much ass in two decades, fuck I'm old." -Jeremiah Castner, Crusher Fest (Oakland, CA)

"These Memphis gals are so talented, they've played blindfolded. They also put out some of the most solid punk since the '90s riot grrl heyday. With only a drum and guitar, the duo creates bare-bones, driving rock that goes straight for the jugular... These scrappy girls self-manage, self-release and refuse to be judged for their sex appeal only. Poly Styrene, rest her soul, would be proud." -Caroline Pate, Creative Loafing (Charlotte, NC)

"There’s really no other way to describe the Vignettes than as a kick-ass girl rock group from Memphis... Their music is FIERCE... it’s loud, in your face rock and roll." -Nicole Jones, NavigatorNic (Manchester, UK)

♫ OBJECTUM SEXUALS (London, UK):
      Listen: https://soundcloud.com/#objectum-sexuals
      Lurk: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Objectum-Sexuals/378281165577890?fref=ts

"...You guys are the best band in the universe..." -Actual audience member

"...That was the best song I've ever heard in my life. No, seriously. I'm serious, you guys, you guys really have something here..." -Will

• January 17, 2013 12:10 PM CST
    • Hi, I'm Tim "Napalm" Stegall from Austin, TX. My life was saved by Johnny Thunders and the Clash and Sex Pistols back in the '70s. I used to write for fLiPSiDe and a buncha other mags and 'zines, but I don't really do that much professionally these days - I do still keep a blog, however (http://timnapalmblog.blogspot.com/). I also led a couple of bands of note, chiefly The Hormones back in the '90s, and an NYC band, Napalm Stars, in the early 2000s. I'm in the process of reforming The Hormones, and I'm planning to revive my old Woody Radio show, "RADIO NAPALM," here at GaragePunk Pirate Radio, if Posterous will stop effing up and let me start a fricken account!

Thank you for reading. Ask my buddy Rev. Norb about me - we go back forever! I look forward to meeting you.

• January 17, 2013 12:02 PM CST
    • hey new friends! I'm Jay and i play drums in the garage rock band, "Straight to VHS" and guitar in the gypsy punk band, "the Weird Beards". I'm in my late twenties and reside in a dirty artsy city by the water named, New London, CT in the U.S. of A...oh and we even have our own Thames River to dump our trash in! I'm excited to be a part of this community of musicians/music lovers, and to learn and share some of that powerful knowledge with cool people!                                         ruk n rol!

• January 17, 2013 5:14 PM CST
    • I hear that. There are a handful of 80s garage bands that I dig (I actually kind of like the Fuzztones, but it depends on the track), but I think 90s Mudhoney/Mummies/etc. stuff kicked it off again.

I personally can't stand Childish's voice. I can't get into it at all. Same with Reverend Horton Heat's lyrics - almost destroys everything good. 

I don't really get the appeal of Rollins Black Flag. TV Party is fun and Rise Above is classic but past that, most of Damaged bores the crap out of me. 

dave said:

Can't stand the Fuzztones or Chesterfield Kings, in fact most 80s 'garage bands' just make me cringe. Didn't like new stuff 'til the Mummies/Gories for the most part.

Oh, and John, I'm with ya about the Childish thang. You could prolly make about 4 compilation LPs of related stuff, but jeez, enuff!

• January 17, 2013 3:45 PM CST
    • Can't stand the Fuzztones or Chesterfield Kings, in fact most 80s 'garage bands' just make me cringe. Didn't like new stuff 'til the Mummies/Gories for the most part.

Oh, and John, I'm with ya about the Childish thang. You could prolly make about 4 compilation LPs of related stuff, but jeez, enuff!

• January 17, 2013 12:02 PM CST
    • Shadows of Knight have had a reputation for being terrible , or , at best , mediocre , for decades , in Chicagoland. They just did a rare (And free) show in Chicago proper a few months ago , About 3 blocks from my place. Thank God I had a family function to go to ! Jimy Sohns owns the name , so it's always been him and whoever is backing him. Joe Kelly sits in on occasion , or he used to. They're in that documentary on Garage Rock with Sky Saxon , which has it's moments , they're at least doing some of the right songs .  Did Mitch Ryder and The Detroit Wheels do a reunion show ? Mitch may have just been using the name. In more recent live footage I've seen of him , he was killin' it , but , I have'nt seen him do a full set in nearly 20 years , usually with Johnny "B' Badanjek , from The Detroit Wheels on drums and Rob Gillespie (Powertrane , Rob Tyner Band.) on guitar. I've seen Mitch at least a half - dozen times , he was always great , even , and especially , when he was playing to 15 or 30 people.   But , I've heard he's done some bad , or just fair , shows , too.....       If you meant the Greenfuz show at The Ponderosa Stomp , MY GOD! THAT WAS PUTRID !! We all love that record for the cruddy sound , but , those guys sounded like they had'nt even practiced. Plus , the Southern Boogie Rock covers did'nt help. I wanted to love it..........

Howie Pyro said:

the worst reunion of a 60's band was The Shadows of Knight oh my god...the worst! Very similar were Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels (who i didn't go see but they were in a festival i was at...seriously everyone, even normal people were running to get outta there! Right up there with those 2 were The Green Fuz, woah, so bad the promoter "punished" them & forced them to come back & play Green Fuz all the way through without introducing the band all the way through it to get to their "important" blues ramblings...i do have a tape of it and it has a running commentary from my friend Todd Abramson that is fucking hysterical...I also saw the Shaggs & thought it was mind blowingly great...

• January 16, 2013 11:44 PM CST
    • the worst reunion of a 60's band was The Shadows of Knight oh my god...the worst! Very similar were Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels (who i didn't go see but they were in a festival i was at...seriously everyone, even normal people were running to get outta there! Right up there with those 2 were The Green Fuz, woah, so bad the promoter "punished" them & forced them to come back & play Green Fuz all the way through without introducing the band all the way through it to get to their "important" blues ramblings...i do have a tape of it and it has a running commentary from my friend Todd Abramson that is fucking hysterical...I also saw the Shaggs & thought it was mind blowingly great...

• January 16, 2013 8:23 PM CST
    • Never liked Guns'n'Roses. People from LA swear they were good , live , before they got signed. I dunno......I liked Queen , OK , when I was in Junior High . I saw Kiss when I was 11 , before it was common to be a preteen , going to see Kiss ,  and , sure , I loved 'em , THEN. I got over it. I can see anyone not liking those groups , ever. As for The Clash , I got off 'em for years , but , I like them again , now. But , I WON'T CONDEMN ANYONE WHO DOES'NT.

But , I never got it with AC/DC. They'd play their live LP , a bit , on the radio , around '78 ,before they broke in the states ,  AND I WAS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IF I LIKED THEM OR NOT (THEY WERE ALSO ON "TED NUGENT'S EXTRAVAGONZO " on The Midnight Special with another still -little known band
      , Cheap TRICK . i'M STILL TRYING TO FIGURE THEM out!).....i DECIDED , i'D GIVEN THEM A CHANCE , BUT , NO , i DID'NT LIKE 'EM. Especially when they became the band Jocks and Stoners agreed on at my High School . I was getting into Punk by then , and could'nt be bothered with it. If they made a special White male ID card , I set mine on fire they day I decided I did'nt like AC/DC.  I'll take Rose Tattoo over them , any day.......
      Tersicore said:

Ok, I confess: 

I never liked bands like AC/DC, Queen, Kiss, Guns n´Roses et al, even if they had some great songs, for the fact that I HATE high Voices coming from Guys!  

and, confession nr. 2 

except for a short time at the beginning and a few songs, I don´t like The Clash that much!  There, said it!

• January 17, 2013 5:04 PM CST
    • Hey! Yeah, we love PORK and advertise in it... and carry it! It's free if you swing by the store, or add it to your order.... here!

• January 17, 2013 3:32 PM CST
    • "One of the things that made punk very valid was, when you consider the Saints were doing the same thing in Australia at the same time and the Ramones in New York, it was obvious that people wanted to do it all over the world. The Saints were totally removed from anything going on anywhere else. They couldn't get Sounds or NME in Australia. The synchronicity was amazing."  - Rat Scabies, from Punk Rock: An Oral History

• January 17, 2013 3:27 PM CST
    • "This Punk thing sets people on fire."  -Charlie Harper

• January 17, 2013 3:25 PM CST
    • "Also the good thing about that time in Amsterdam was that there was a lot of squats and you could do stuff right away- you didn't have to find practice rooms or venues, you could do it all in the squats. We were always involved in the squat scene. You can hardly imagine it now, thousands of squats in Amsterdam. It was so normal at the time.

England was a bit narrow-minded. The squats in Amsterdam were setting up bicycle-repair shops, restaurants, venues, bars, even radio stations. It was optimistic in a way that is amazing to look back on now. A new squat would open and everyone would help set it up, building the stage if it had a venue- all this practical stuff- as well as playing benefits.

That's what you did as a band: you cooked, you built, you made a noise and played benefits with bands like BGK and the Nitwits."  -Terrie, from Punk Rock: An Oral History

• January 17, 2013 3:00 PM CST
    • "We have found out... that we cannot trust some people who are nonconformists. We will make conformists out of them in a hurry... The organization cannot trust the individual; the individual must trust the organization."

-Ray Kroc, McDonalds founder (think about that next time you're at McD's.)

• January 17, 2013 2:57 PM CST
    • Ok, thanks, man!

• January 17, 2013 2:24 PM CST
    • It's not my show...it's a guy I work with who came across old cassettes of the radio shows he used to do in Hartford.  I'm totally busy at work...I can see if he'll want to put it up on here or on soulseek.  If you don't see it up here in a week, reply here again and see if we can post it.

• January 17, 2013 6:22 AM CST
    • Cool, good to hear!

And... the bespoke radio-show? Is it a private thing, maybe? (if so, I totally understand).

Cheers.

• January 17, 2013 11:39 AM CST
    • I like the site that says "Uh wella wella wella , uh baybuh baybuhbaybuh!".  KIDDIN' !  

Last Night said:

For rockabilly lyrics, this site is great :

http://www.rockabilly.nl/lyrics/

• January 17, 2013 11:37 AM CST
    • Are you still looking for 'em? I could give you an approximation.

Mal Thursday said:

I'm looking for the real lyrics to the Unrelated Segments' "Where You Gonna Go."

I sang some gobbledegook on the Malarians' 1986 recording of the song, and want to get 'em right on the reunion tour.

• January 17, 2013 8:56 AM CST
    • i'm looking the lyrics for "Haven't got the time" by The Pagans .

Can find it on the internet... i'll try to find out by myself but i'm not US so ...

if somebody have a idea ? thanks !

• January 17, 2013 10:45 AM CST
    • I think I've seen Wilco's book out, scanned through it and it seems quite good.

• January 16, 2013 11:38 PM CST
    • My fave cartoon as a kid was The Impossibles who were a cool Mop Top garage band of secret superheroes who had a show or did a song or part of one in every episode...super cool...every episode seems to be on YouTube...

• January 16, 2013 9:18 PM CST
    • ONE OF MY FAVORITES , AND ONE OF THE FIRST , WAS IN A FOGHORN LEGHORN CARTOON. OK , I MENTIONED THIS , ELSEWHERE , BUT THERE WAS A ROCK'N'ROLL ROOSTER WITH A GUITAR , SINGIN' "GEE WHIZ WHILLIKERS , GOLLY GEE! SHE'S  THE PURDIEST THING YA SEE. GEE WHIZ WHILLIKERS , GOLLY GEE. I LOVE THE GIRRRRRR - IIIRRRRRR -IRL !!!!! AND SHE LOVES MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.".  I have a LOT of Foghorn Leghorn cartoons , but , not that one (I think he was in TWO.). Yes, I looked it up on You Tube. All I found was that Frankie Avalon released a version of the song. I FELL ASLEEP IN FRONT OF THE TV once , and  that song bolted me awake !  Warner Bros also had a short gag about the "Elvis" dog , a dog with a guitar , saying "I'm nuthin' but a Hound Dawg !" .