Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 24, 2012 10:14 PM CST
    • Hell , Yeah ! The Friggs were great. Only saw 'em once. They came back later , opening for The Selecter. I was MANY years over the Two - Tone thing , and figured their set would get cut short.

G. Wood said:

The Friggs, from NY, I guess. Or Palmyra Delran's band. They/she are Hideout members, but not very active, I think.

• December 24, 2012 10:10 PM CST
    • FUN - NEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!  : )

buy my carpet said:

Know the difference between a singer and a terrorist?
      You can negotiate with terrorists

How many singers are needed to change a lightbulb?
      One, and the world keeps on revolving around them.

• December 24, 2012 10:10 PM CST
    • Well said , but even the best of leaders can get drunk with power , and the soldiers will revolt.

G. Wood said:

Is it the instrument, or the role, that creates the ego, or is it the other way around? It's always best to have one creative leader and a few good soldiers.

• December 24, 2012 9:59 PM CST
    • They'll probably be a footnote at best (I have'nt seen the book.) , but , Sam Gopal and The Rockin' Vicars rate a mention , too. Lemmy's days as a Hendrix Roadie , AND his brief stint with The Damned (As "The Doomed") might have some amusing anecdotes , as well. Hawkwind were definitely Lemmy's gateway drug to Motorhead , but , reportedly , he's renounced their one hit , "Silver Machine" (Which was just as uncommercial as anything else the band did in their prime.). Funny, last time I saw Motorhead , it was playing on the loudspeakers before they went on. 

• December 24, 2012 4:46 PM CST
    • That would be really cool , if you could. They need all the help they can get.

• December 24, 2012 3:08 PM CST
    •   "Oh , Yoda , I'm loaded."   "Oh no , dear , oh , no dear" (?)

"John , I'm Only Dancing" - David Bowie.     Thanks to Chris Morris.

• December 24, 2012 2:59 PM CST
    • That's interesting. I love me some local boys , Shadows of Knight , but , I WAS GLAD TO LEARN THAT Them's original eclipsed it iN some markets . Like I say , we had a pretty hip Oldies station in Dallas in The 80's , when I lived there , but , I heard "You're Gonna Miss Me" a total of once , and this WAS in Texas.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

A station in LA during the 80s played a lot of the garage hits as well as British hits that sounded "garagy" but no early Pink Floyd unfortuanately.  Didn't play Thirteenth Floor Elevators either...the weird thing is...they didn't play Shadows of Knight either.  The station worked off of local charts as opposed to Billboard so if they played GLORIA, it was by Them because it topped there locally.

• December 23, 2012 8:22 PM CST
    • A station in LA during the 80s played a lot of the garage hits as well as British hits that sounded "garagy" but no early Pink Floyd unfortuanately.  Didn't play Thirteenth Floor Elevators either...the weird thing is...they didn't play Shadows of Knight either.  The station worked off of local charts as opposed to Billboard so if they played GLORIA, it was by Them because it topped there locally.

• December 23, 2012 5:41 PM CST
    • Even by the time I found a copy of "Nuggets" , there were bands on it that I'd only read about. "It's a Happening" by The Magic Mushrooms , nope , you would'nt have heard that on even your hippest Oldies show or station. And , at the time , the oldies station in Dallas played the biggies , Pushin' Too Hard , Psychotic Reaction , I Had Too Much To Dream (Last Night) , Talk Talk , etc. , almost daily , as well as Call Me Lightning , Over , Under , Sideways Down and even , occasionally , "See Emily Play"....I once heard Mel Robbins' "Save It"! (Yes , the one The Cramps slowed down and covered in still - compelling fashion.). There were still plenty of Nuggets songs that never got play (One well - known DJ , Hell , I even know him , reneged on a possible gig with this station because he wanted to play "Let's Talk About Girls" by The Chocolate Watchband. When they asked him , "WHO were The Chocolate Watchband?" , he split. ) .    But , in the mid to late 80's , "Nuggets " was still the grail , the reason for Pebbles , Psychedelic Microdots , Acid Visions , Chocolate Soup For Diabetics , Journey To Tyme , Vile Vinyl , Mindbenders , Boulders , and , yes , "Back From The Grave".........

• December 23, 2012 11:38 PM CST
    • I've tried that but in the 2000s the labels have all changed.  Actully what's been helping me remember stuff is Kopper's year in review on his Wayback Machine shows from years ago.  He has all the lists up.

John White said:

It would be alot easier to wiki labels you like and look at their releases. For example "Goner", that's the first one I would start with. 

• December 23, 2012 10:08 PM CST
    • It would be alot easier to wiki labels you like and look at their releases. For example "Goner", that's the first one I would start with. 

• December 23, 2012 10:10 PM CST
    • Been a few weeks since i've posted here so this will be a double post.  First on December 22nd CJAM held their third annual Joe Strummer Day Marathon, I did a program focusing on his Pre-Clash band The 101ers. 

Download/listen to the show here:

http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/608-Revolution_Rock_101ers_Joe_St...

View my blog post about The 101ers here:

http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2012/12/five-star-rock-roll-joe-strummer...

Joe Strummer Day Play List:

1. Letsagetabitarockin’ (Elgin Avenue Breakdown Revisited - 2005)
      2. Shake Your Hips (Live) (Elgin Avenue Breakdown Revisited - 2005)
      3. Hoy Hoy (Live at Derby Cleopatras December 12, 1975) (Smokey Joe's Cafe Bootleg)
      4. Slippin’ and Slidin’ (Live at Derby Cleopatras December 12, 1975) (Smokey Joe's Cafe Bootleg)
      5. Sweet Revenge (Elgin Avenue Breakdown Revisited - 2005)
      6. Hideaway (Elgin Avenue Breakdown Revisited - 2005)
      7. Steamgauge 99 (Elgin Avenue Breakdown Revisited - 2005)
      8. Keep Taking The Tablets (Live)(Elgin Avenue Breakdown Revisited - 2005)
      9. I Saw Her Standing There (Live) (Smokey Joe's Cafe Bootleg)
      10. Rabies (From The Dogs of Love) (Elgin Avenue Breakdown Revisited - 2005)
      11. Motor Boys Motor (Elgin Avenue Breakdown Revisited - 2005)
      12. Five Star R 'n' Roll (Elgin Avenue Breakdown Revisited - 2005)
      13. Out of Time (Live) (Elgin Avenue Breakdown Revisited - 2005)
      14. Gloria (Live) (Elgin Avenue Breakdown Revisited - 2005)
      15. Be Bop A Lula (Live at Derby Cleopatras December 12, 1975) (Smokey Joe's Cafe Bootleg)
      16. Unknown Song Pathway Demo March 4, 1976) (Smokey Joe's Cafe Bootleg)
      17. Surf City Interrupted (Pathway Demo March 4, 1976) (Smokey Joe's Cafe Bootleg)
      18. Surf City (Elgin Avenue Breakdown Revisited - 2005)
      19. Lonely Mothers Son (Live) (Elgin Avenue Breakdown Revisited - 2005)
      20. The Sweety of St. Moritz (Elgin Avenue Breakdown Revisited - 2005)
      21. Silent Telephone (Elgin Avenue Breakdown Revisited - 2005)
      22. Keys To Your Heart (Version 2) (Elgin Avenue Breakdown Revisited - 2005)

My previous program focused on Ty Segall's three albums that he released this year as well as featuring other artists such as Black Lips, Subway Sect, The Beatles and Pow Wows. 

Download the show here:

http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20121218-1030-...

View my blog post on Ty Segal here:

http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2012/12/ty-segall-2012-trilogy-show-435....

The play list:

1.  Thee Rum Coves – Simple Little Lie
      2.  Shitty Neighbours – First Mistake
      3.  FIDLAR – Max Can’t Surf
      4.  Carbonas – Hate You
      5.  The Finks - Magic Eyes
      6.  The Specials – (Dawning of A) New Era
      7.  Madness – The Prince
      8.  Chang-A-Lang – Monday Again
      9.  Cuff The Duke – Side By Side
      10. The Subway Sect – Ambition
      11. The Cure – I’m Cold
      12. XX Teens – B-54
      13. Gang of Four – If I Could Keep It For Myself
      14. Guided By Voices – White Flag
      15. Sloan – I Hate My Generation (Pier 21 Demo)
      16. The Beatles – Little Child
      17. Pow Wows – Séance
      18. Ricky Scott – I Didn’t Mean It
      19. Ty Segall & White Fence – Crybaby
      20. Ty Segall Band – Tell Me What’s Inside Your Heart
      21. Ty Segall – Who Are You?
      22. Ty Segall - Love Fuzz
      23. Mystics – Can’t Be Happy
      24. Black Lips – Stuck In My Mind (Live At Third Man)
      25. Black Lips - Oh Katrina (Live At Third Man)

• December 23, 2012 8:26 PM CST
    • I'm probably with everybody else here and have a preference to Donovan thought Dylan has his moments.

• December 23, 2012 5:59 PM CST
    • BUT , TO BE FAIR , DONOVAN DID'NT WRITE THE REMAINDER OF THE "PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID" SOUNDTRACK  AFTER DYLAN COMPLETED "KNOCKIN' ON HEAVEN'S DOOR".

DYLAN'S ACTING IN THE MOVIE IS DELIGHTFULLY BAD , TOO.

Grazianohmygod said:

"Quite right slick!"

Erik said:

Dylan wins simply because he never wrote somthing as awful as mello yellow!

• December 23, 2012 5:55 PM CST
    • Like Billy Miller said , I like select Dylan soundalikes more than the man himself - "Same Lines" by The Trashmen , "Christmas Spirit" by The Wailers , "Food" by Nick Lowe , Mouse and The Traps' entire back catalogue (Except Wicker Vine , And I Believe Her , The Bottom LINE AND A FEW OTHERS.).

• December 23, 2012 8:24 PM CST
    • Show #402: "Bands & Artists Starting With S, Part 8" playlist:

Sir Lord Baltimore - "Kingdom Come"
      Sir Michael & The Sounds - "Love Your Fellow Man"
      Sir Raleigh & The Cupons - "Tomorrow's Gonna Be Another Day"
      Sir Winston & The Commons - "We're Gonna Love"
      The Sires - "Don't Look Now"
      The Sirs - "Off In A Day Dream"
      Sisters - "Kick Your Boots Off"
      The Six Deep - "Girl It's Over"
      6 Feet Under - "Freedom"
      Six Minus One - "Fun And Games"
      Six O'Clock News - "Working On The Road"
      Six Pak - "Tombstone Shadow"
      The Six Pents - "She Lied"
      The Six Teens - "A Casual Look"
      The 6 Tornados - "Little Wallflower"
      6IX - "I'm Just Like You"
      The Sixpence - "What To Do"
      Sixth Day Creation - "Cherry Pie"
      60,000,000 Buffalo - "Maid Of Constant Sorrow"
      The Size Seven Group - "Where Do We Go From Here"
      The Skatalites - "Good News"
      The Skeptics - "Ride Child"
      Skid Mark & The Victims - "Operation Blue Light"
      Skid Row - "Night Of The Warm Witch"
      Skin Alley - "Tell Me"
      Skip & Flip - "It Was I"
      Skip Bifferty - "On Love"
      Macy Skipper - "Bop Pills"
      The Skope - "From"
      Skorpio - "Szevasz Haver"
      The Skunks - "I Need No One"
      The Sky [CA] - "I'm Not A Fool"
      Sky [MI] - "Take Off And Fly"
      Sky [UK] - "Danza"
      Sky Farmer - "Mountain Bus"
      Patrick Sky - "Yonkers Girls"
      Skylark - "Suites For My Lady/I'll Have To Go Away"
      Skyline - "Beautiful Lady"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/402.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/402.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750 ... Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• December 23, 2012 7:39 PM CST
    • Speaking of Black Punk Time  www.roctober.com - DO IT , NOW !

There's a section on Phil Lynott on his connection to Punk - He was friends with several of the UK Punk Bands - Most notably The Pistols. He and Cook and Jones were the primary studio band on Johnny Thunders' solo debut , "So Alone", and key members of The Sex Pistols (Cook and Jones) and Thin Lizzy (Lynott , Scott Gorham and Brian Downey.) collaborated as The Greedy Bastards , or just The Greedies , recording the now - collectible "Merry Jingle" (A rocked up medley of "Jingle Bells" and "We Wish You a Merry Christmas.). The funny thing is  before I found this single , I found a version by a Japanese Oi! band called Sledge Hammer. Phil probably would have dug the irony.

• December 23, 2012 6:36 PM CST
    • Mark George , Hey , ask Mike Spenser about The Cannibals song. He's up here.I WAS GOING TO MENTION THE YOBS (THE BOYS IN "DISGUISE"), BUT , I COULD'NT REMEMBER ANY SONG TITLES.....I JUST HAVE A CRAPPY TAPE I MADE IN THE EARLY 90'S , SOMEWHERE.....I DON'T EVEN KNOW IF I HAVE THE MACC LADS ' XMAS SONG....

I'M SURE IT GOES "LOTS OF SHAGGING AND BEER AND ALE , LOTS OF CHIPS AND CURRY , CAN'T FAIL , I FEEL ME ARSE OPEN UP WIDE , LEAVE A PRESENT FOR ME NEIGHBORS INSIDE ! I WIPE ME ARSE ON THEIR DAILY PAPER , THIS DRUNK I'M ON , WILL IT EVER TAPER? THE LASSES LOVE IT WHEN I'M  ON THE PISS. I GOT A MISTLETOE BELT BUCKLE,

GIZ A KISS.                            Hey , that's pretty good , I should sell it to them , y'think.

HEY , HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVE TO OUR FREINDS OVERSEAS !!!! DON'T BE LIKE THE MACC LADDS AND CATCH A DISEASE.

Mark George Harrison said:

The Yobs 12 days of Christmas.

The Vandals 'oi to the world' Christmas album.

The Macc lads 'Jingle bells'

The Cannibals did a Christmas single in a shaped sleeve which for the life of me I cant find and cant remember the name of!

• December 23, 2012 6:25 PM CST
    • oh , cool , a new Joe "King" Carrasco Xmas song. Wish I had a copy of "It's a Party Christmas". I should have asked him about it when I talked to him , last year.

• December 23, 2012 5:19 PM CST
    • There is new music left in 'em , but , it's up to Townsend to cough up the songs. Their last album really was'nt bad , though it took forever to put together , and go quickly forgotten. It was'nt a masterpiece , but , it still beat Hell out of "It's Hard' and "Face Dances".

On the latter LP , which I bought for a quarter (Poster included) several years ago , I still like "Did you Steal My Money", and Entwistle's two songs "You" and "The Quiet One". Not saying they're "It's Not True" or "Call Me Lightning" or anything. I'm just glad I got to see The Who when they were'nt really promoting anything. Of course , my Brother still buried it in my face that he saw them in 1976......My Landlord casually blabbed that he saw them in 1974 , at the Arie Crown Theatre , which holds MAYBE 1500 people (!!!!!) . It's also the site of the first Stones concert in Chicago. I've seen King Dolemite , King James Brown , Queen Lawanda Page , and Heir To The Party Record Throne , WI - I - I- I- I-I - ILDMAN STEVE , there , myself.

melissa scott said:

Oh, clearly those of us who hang out here are NOT the audience for the majority of those performers. Dino-rock night. Wonder if they had to order the BenGay by the caseload...
      Wait, where was I? Oh, the 'OO... it doesn't sit well with me that I only like the early music... I'm still trying to stay loyal, but it's not easy. They really sounded so good last week that I keep thinking, ok, now... AND?... is there new music left in those guys?

John Battles said:

I did'nt need to see Roger's chest , either , but it was'nt Johnny Rotten - awful !!

But......Compared to seeing Springsteen , Roger Waters , Bon Jovi , Billy Joel and Kanye West , seeing Daltrey's gut was'nt SO horriffic. Then again , it was'nt about our entertainment. I'd gladly play on a NY/NJ benefit , but I usually don't get asked to perform for GOOD causes , and , with the apparent gridlock on localized disaster relief (Have you seen Red Cross donation cans at any of your local businesses? Me either , nor for Japan , Haiti or New Orleans.), it does'nt look like this wee small burg , Chicago , will be doing any Hurricane Sandy relief benefits. Hey , I hope I'm wrong.
      melissa scott said:

Yeah, I'm sorry to say, YEAH, couldn't give a damn about anything later either. And I so want to. All that talent in his hands and Townsend just wastes it.

As for Daltry, he really should rethink trying to hit those high notes now. Oh, wow, worst part of last week's performance. Besides him opening his shirt front. *sigh*

Mel

James Porter said:

1965-68 = essential Who

1969-78 = still good, just not great

1981 onward = terrible

• December 23, 2012 10:11 AM CST
    • Oh, clearly those of us who hang out here are NOT the audience for the majority of those performers. Dino-rock night. Wonder if they had to order the BenGay by the caseload...
      Wait, where was I? Oh, the 'OO... it doesn't sit well with me that I only like the early music... I'm still trying to stay loyal, but it's not easy. They really sounded so good last week that I keep thinking, ok, now... AND?... is there new music left in those guys?

John Battles said:

I did'nt need to see Roger's chest , either , but it was'nt Johnny Rotten - awful !!

But......Compared to seeing Springsteen , Roger Waters , Bon Jovi , Billy Joel and Kanye West , seeing Daltrey's gut was'nt SO horriffic. Then again , it was'nt about our entertainment. I'd gladly play on a NY/NJ benefit , but I usually don't get asked to perform for GOOD causes , and , with the apparent gridlock on localized disaster relief (Have you seen Red Cross donation cans at any of your local businesses? Me either , nor for Japan , Haiti or New Orleans.), it does'nt look like this wee small burg , Chicago , will be doing any Hurricane Sandy relief benefits. Hey , I hope I'm wrong.
      melissa scott said:

Yeah, I'm sorry to say, YEAH, couldn't give a damn about anything later either. And I so want to. All that talent in his hands and Townsend just wastes it.

As for Daltry, he really should rethink trying to hit those high notes now. Oh, wow, worst part of last week's performance. Besides him opening his shirt front. *sigh*

Mel

James Porter said:

1965-68 = essential Who

1969-78 = still good, just not great

1981 onward = terrible

• December 23, 2012 4:56 PM CST
    • i Pinche Gringo ! JA JA JA JA JA ! I'll bet THE LOCO GRINGOS ARE SORRY THEY DID'NT THINK OF THAT NAME FIRST !

Gypsy Farm said:

Hasil Adkins, Pinche Gringo (Drummer for The Spins, Paint Fumes)

• December 23, 2012 4:54 PM CST
    • Chris , I don't know. It's very possible that he stopped taking his meds , but , it's just as possible that he did'nt. I knew one of his bandmembers in passing. He said that Wesley was doing much better , but , of course , that does'nt mean his situation was always as good as could be.   If he'd had a friend to act as a valet , he might have got into trouble , less often. I think he did have one , on occasions. Some people were scared to death of him , because they did'nt know who he was , or why he acted the way he did. Still , the Hipsters were a lot more sympathetic than the South siders , who took him at face value.

Chris Henniker said:

I know schizophrenia medication makes users sick at times, which would be a reason why he stopped taking them. One of my friends is a psychaitrist and deals with people like him for a living, but he's also a film director too. He knows the type, but What did the Nathan Barley types know that you didn't?

John Battles said:

I would'nt say that the headbutting thing had anything to do with exacerbating his Schizophrenia , Chris , but , it's a good question. What I disagreed with was the fact that he'd go around head - butting total strangers. I would'nt want to get head - butted by a guy one - third his size , but , that's just me. Some people wanted to be head - butted , that's all good and well. But he seemed unable , or too uncaring , to differentiate between the two. I think he mainly got kicked out of clubs because he intimidated paying customers , when it's extremely unlikely that he ever had to pay for anything at venues where he was known , at least. I once saw him try to pay for a burrito at a taqueria with one of his CDs. Someone told him , Wesley , that won't fly here , you HAVE to pay the guy. I could'nt help but notice when he opened his wallet , right in front of me  . There must have been about a hundred to two hundred dollars within , and he was trying to barter with a man that did'nt speak English , nor know of his local celebrity.   The other thing , I would imagine , is , well , his hygeine issues are well - documented , I don't need to go there.

The first time I saw him have an episode (And this was after I'd seen him in passing for years , and did'nt know he heard voices.) he was screaming that he had a gun and a knife , and he was going to kill somebody.

I think all the hipsters knew the score , but , hey , I did'nt. I did'nt think he was really armed , but , he sounded like something out of "Scared Straight". He used intimidation with people to try to get them to by his CDs. I saw him practically crush a woman's arm , one time , yelling "BUY MY CD !!", and she was even apologetic  about it , saying she just did'nt have the money..... I never saw the charming sweetheart that people always said he was , but, I'll say this , when he got on meds , he did seem like he was doing better. I don't know if he stayed on them , later on.   I don't know. I , personally , never had a bad run - in with him , but , i DID'NT GET IT WITH HIM , EITHER . He had some funny songs , just not , in my opinion , funny or interesting enough for me to consider purchasing. He had some hilarious catch phrases , too. But Chicago is full of what JAMES PORTER DUBBED "R'n'B ECCENTRICS". i'LL TAKE LORD OF LIGHTNING , BIG DOO - WOPPER AND EVEN SHARKULA OVER WESLEY , GOD REST HIS SOUL , JUST THE SAME.

Roky Erickson , of course , was also diagnosed with Schizophrenia (That diagnosis was later put to question.). Schizoprenia , of course , is incurable and is not the fault of those who have it. The big difference , here , though , is that Roky is a musical genius.

Chris Henniker said:

He greeted people with a headbutt, but I wonder whether this exacerbated his Schizophrenia. He harangued his audience with insults, which is why he got kicked out, but didn't he try and control his outbursts?

IDON MINE said:

Various reasons I think. He could be quite vocal at times and coming from his illness, could burst into fits, that he sometimes wasn't able to control. Beyond being a charming guy, in his own way. Wes was just an intense fella.

Also as you sure have heard, his favorite way to say "hi" was to headbutt you (and all kinds of objects, he liked or didn't), hence the mark on his forehead. But John can sure tell more, being local and all.

Chris Henniker said:

Why was he thrown out of venues? He wasn't like GG Allin.

John Battles said:

The Hipsters in Chicago DID devour Wesley , so to speak. But , I think his following was on the wane , and , as noted earlier , I'd been told , by an employee at one of the few places that still admitted him , that every other club in town had banned him , probably meaning every club that , up to that point , he frequented. I used to see him around , with his drawing pad , before he made his way into the Rock club scene , and when he still had an afro. I was'nt even aware that he was mentally ill. He seemed about as low - key as a person his size could probably be. I don't know when he was diagnosed with Schizophrenia , but , many people who are , turn out to be misdiagnosed , they may have something similar , but not always the same thing.

IDON MINE said:

Oh yeah, Wes is the thing! Coming to think of it:

I can only imagine that he would have been eaten up by the new "performance art show" crowd of nowadays, for his, uhm, all natural looking "act." Only to headbutt them  for a hello, haha!

Chris Henniker said:

Anyone like Wesley Willis? A true outsider musician if there ever was one, who was so bad, he was great.

• December 23, 2012 1:38 PM CST
    • I don't have a fave exactly, but I listen to King Automatic more than most. Jeffrey Novack, as well.