Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 21, 2012 12:04 PM CST
    • Sloppy Seconds - Lonely Christmas
      Anti-heros - All Hail Santa

• December 21, 2012 11:43 AM CST
    • It' not there at the link location. I gotta hear some psychedelic Korean Christmas music! 

Can someone repost it?

Grazianohmygod said:

My girlfriend found this album by HE5, a Korean psychedelic band from the late 60's. No lyrics, but some pretty dirty 'n' fun versions of some Christmas Standards.

The Dirtbombs - My Last Christmas

JD McDonald - Boogaloo Santa Claus 

• December 21, 2012 6:22 PM CST
    • Yeah let us know when the book is done.  I'd like to say something about that in the facebook group I'm in about Musicians standing up against the pay to play practice which spills over into the "bands have to sell tickets in order to play" practice.

Daniel M said:

Yeah, your description of the Olympia scene is the type of thing I'm thinking about. And ideally the book will allow people in the scene to get some sense of differences among scenes and for people outside the scene, who are interested in uses of space, to get some understanding of alternatives to more mainstream music industry practices (advance ticket sales, profits from beer sales, etc.).

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

Oh, allright. I didn't get it at first.  Yeah, a book about the experiences would be great.  I lived in Olympia, WA during the late 80s and early 90s and I thought that scene ruled.  We either found spaces to rent, or someone would put something together at their house either in their living room or basement.  We also had the Evergreen State College and bands would set up in the dorms to play.  It was where people witnesses early performances by Nirvana, Screaming Trees, Fitz of Depression, and Bikini Kill.  It was so much fun.

Daniel M said:

PM is private message. I'll sen you a note, John.

I'm not working on a book that is a listing of places (akin to BYOFL or DODIY). Instead, this will be more narrative-focused. If you've read Stephen Duncomb's book about fanzines, that could be somewhat similar or the My First Show book.

• December 21, 2012 6:19 PM CST
    • Evergreen was in the middle of nowhere so we could get past noise complaints.  There were some Apts across the street but they couldn't hear as across the street was like a couple of acres away.   Parties never got shut down in the city either for that matter.

John Battles said:

Yes , even tho' I always thought people could have the option of turning it down , or turning it off....But , it never seemed to go that way. And , at least where I went to school , Frats could pull any kind of shit they wanted. Some were'nt as bad about that as others , but , they could be loud , obnoxious, violent. That was OK , they were'nt dressing "Punk" or "Hippie" (Both of which had lost their shock value CENTURIES before being replaced by those flannel shirts K-Mart used to sell , 3 for $10.).

Personally , I think a book like this could be very interesting. We should be supportive.

dave said:

Hey, thanks Rod, I'd forgotten about that thing. Just looked it up:

Book Your Own Fuckin' Life

"Don't forget to leave feedback. If you leave comments, people can know what's up. There is no more print version of Book Your Own Life, and there won't be one."
      To add to John's input, I was at one of those hippie/diy houses in about '94, listening to a punk band. This was on the outskirts of town, and it *still* got shut down by the cops.
      Maybe it's an attitude thing. Police don't like punky lookin' kids being loud, but if Young Republican types do the same thing, it seems to be OK with the powers-that-be.

• December 21, 2012 4:31 PM CST
    • Yes , even tho' I always thought people could have the option of turning it down , or turning it off....But , it never seemed to go that way. And , at least where I went to school , Frats could pull any kind of shit they wanted. Some were'nt as bad about that as others , but , they could be loud , obnoxious, violent. That was OK , they were'nt dressing "Punk" or "Hippie" (Both of which had lost their shock value CENTURIES before being replaced by those flannel shirts K-Mart used to sell , 3 for $10.).

Personally , I think a book like this could be very interesting. We should be supportive.

dave said:

Hey, thanks Rod, I'd forgotten about that thing. Just looked it up:

Book Your Own Fuckin' Life

"Don't forget to leave feedback. If you leave comments, people can know what's up. There is no more print version of Book Your Own Life, and there won't be one."
      To add to John's input, I was at one of those hippie/diy houses in about '94, listening to a punk band. This was on the outskirts of town, and it *still* got shut down by the cops.
      Maybe it's an attitude thing. Police don't like punky lookin' kids being loud, but if Young Republican types do the same thing, it seems to be OK with the powers-that-be.

• December 21, 2012 11:21 AM CST
    • Yeah, your description of the Olympia scene is the type of thing I'm thinking about. And ideally the book will allow people in the scene to get some sense of differences among scenes and for people outside the scene, who are interested in uses of space, to get some understanding of alternatives to more mainstream music industry practices (advance ticket sales, profits from beer sales, etc.).

Oh, allright. I didn't get it at first.  Yeah, a book about the experiences would be great.  I lived in Olympia, WA during the late 80s and early 90s and I thought that scene ruled.  We either found spaces to rent, or someone would put something together at their house either in their living room or basement.  We also had the Evergreen State College and bands would set up in the dorms to play.  It was where people witnesses early performances by Nirvana, Screaming Trees, Fitz of Depression, and Bikini Kill.  It was so much fun.

Daniel M said:

PM is private message. I'll sen you a note, John.

I'm not working on a book that is a listing of places (akin to BYOFL or DODIY). Instead, this will be more narrative-focused. If you've read Stephen Duncomb's book about fanzines, that could be somewhat similar or the My First Show book.

• December 22, 2012 1:51 AM CST
    • Thanks.

Mike said:

Here's a couple I spun at home recently:

2004 Mojomatics "How Long Babe"

2008 Los Peyotes "Bdaaa!!"

2009 Wild Zeros "Tight Tight Jeans"

2010 Atomic Suplex "Rock n Roll Must Die"

• December 22, 2012 1:14 AM CST
    • Here's a couple I spun at home recently:

2004 Mojomatics "How Long Babe"

2008 Los Peyotes "Bdaaa!!"

2009 Wild Zeros "Tight Tight Jeans"

2010 Atomic Suplex "Rock n Roll Must Die"

• December 21, 2012 6:27 PM CST
    • Drinking and Thinking don't go hand in hand but thanks everybody who's helping me out here.  I'm also using Kopper's old Wayback Machine lists but I am having trouble remembering who was knew and what wasn't. Heh : )

• December 21, 2012 7:12 PM CST
    • Exactly.  I guess you could say the same thing about '67 and '72 as you could '67 and '62.

James Porter said:

Rockin' Rod (hey, man!) said:

"Nuggets coming out in 1972 was almost the equivelent of watching great shows from the 60s in reruns during the afternoon during the same time period.  Shows that were only off the air a few years but they felt like....a long time ago.  Probably because they were so different from what was airing at night on network."

Also because times changed quicker back then.

There was a world of difference between '67 and '72. But in 2012, I look back at 2007 and it may as well be one second ago. We all might have gone through personal changes, but the cultural climate doesn't seem drastically different.

• December 21, 2012 6:45 PM CST
    • Rockin' Rod (hey, man!) said:

"Nuggets coming out in 1972 was almost the equivelent of watching great shows from the 60s in reruns during the afternoon during the same time period.  Shows that were only off the air a few years but they felt like....a long time ago.  Probably because they were so different from what was airing at night on network."

Also because times changed quicker back then.

There was a world of difference between '67 and '72. But in 2012, I look back at 2007 and it may as well be one second ago. We all might have gone through personal changes, but the cultural climate doesn't seem drastically different.

• December 21, 2012 6:14 PM CST
    • Nuggets coming out in 1972 was almost the equivelent of watching great shows from the 60s in reruns during the afternoon during the same time period.  Shows that were only off the air a few years but they felt like....a long time ago.  Probably because they were so different from what was airing at night on network.  But you don't get that same feeling now with watching 30 year old shows today.  The same way 30 year old songs today don't feel that old (and magical).  Overplayed?  Never having the chance to disappear? or the fact that production for major labels has stayed bland?  Whatever it was about production that happened during the "Nuggets" age seems like it can never be recaptured no matter how you try.

• December 21, 2012 4:49 PM CST
    • .....This is where it all began. Most of the songs on "Nuggets" were only six years old , tops , and , some , even less , in 1972 , when it was released. But , the need for a collection like this was already there. It was probably called an anachronism at the time , just as some people call it one , today , only because there's a shitload more rarities , readily available , but , it took one man's vision to set the cogs in motion. Besides , the original 2 LP set was not as readily available some 10 , 12 years later. I had to settle for a copy of "Nuggets" with one record missing for years....I even had the 8-Track , which would'nt play , before I found an original 2 LP set. All in all , the original "Nuggets " set , a good portion of Rhino's LPs in the "Nuggets" series (The CDs were terrible . A situation later rectified with the 4 CD box set) and the aforementioned box set , still sound great today.     Mazeltov , Lenny.

• December 21, 2012 7:01 PM CST
    • Playlist Dec 20/2012

1. The Shanks...Christmas Star....from the CD The Dark Richard Show from 2010. 2 piece combo from Orangeville Ontario.

The Shanks....Brunswick, St Thomas Ontario 7/15/09. Check out those sideburns and eyebrows!

2. Kensington Hillbillies...London Calling...from The Crooked Beat CD, an all Clash CD the Hillbillies recorded. They will be doing a Clash tribute on Saturday night at Call The Office in London Ontario for the 10th anniversary of Joe Strummer's passing.

3. Kensington Hillbillies...Corner Soul...as above.

4. 101'ers...Motor Boys Motor...from the Elgin Avenue Breakdown Revisited CD. The 101'ers were prior to The Clash and featured Joe Strummer on guitar and vocals.

5. The Clash...Gates Of The West...from the 7" that came with The Clash LP.

6. The Clash...Career Opportunities...from The Clash LP.

7. Pow Wows...No. Thirteen...from a Get Hip 7". One of the Pow Wows will be playing in the Kensington Hillbillies Clash tribute this weekend.

8. NFG...Cowboy Rock...from the cassette that came with What Wave #24. NFG are opening the show on saturday night.

9. NFG...At The Boot...recorded live at Call The Office 10/27/12.

10. 63 Monroe...White Christmas...from a 7" from 1984. London Ontario combo who came out of NFG. And the start of our Xmas special!

11. The Damned...There Ain't No Sanity Claus...1980 7" on Chiswick Records.

12. The Gruesomes...Santa Claus...from their Unchained 12".

13. Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet...Faster Santa Ho Ho Ho...from a bootleg CD called Savvy Show Stoppers II.

14. Blue Demons...Cougar Country....recent 7" on Boppa Do Down Records and the Blue Demons are playing at Backstage Bar in Stratford Ontario this saturday,along with The Greasemarks.

15. Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet...Deck The Halls....as above.

16. Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet...The 12 Answering Machine Messages Of Christmas...as above.

17. Plan 9....Merry Christmas...from A Midnight Christmas Mess LP on Midnight Records from 1984. Plan 9 played sleepy London Ontario several times in the mid 80's to about the early 90's and they were different each time.

18. The Ramones...Merry Christmas...from the Brain Drain LP from 1989.

19. Jack Scott...Trouble Brewin'...from a compilation CD called Black Christmas.

20. Patsy Raye and The Beatniks...Beatnik's Wish...from the compilation LP called Swing For A Crime on GMG Records.

21. Youngsters...Christmas In Jail...from the Black Christmas CD.

22. Washboard Pete...Christmas Blues...as above.

23. Deja Voodoo...Bugs For Christmas...from the Too Cool To Live, Too Smart To Die EP on Midnight Records from 1985.

Deja Voodoo and the Edsel....in the driveway of WW HQ's 1984.

24. Paul James...Run Run Rudolph...from a 7" from 1986. Toronto rock'n'roller who's been around for quite a few years and is still playing to this day.

25. The Tryfles...Gloria...from the Midnight Christmas Mess LP.

John Faye of The Tryfles, Irving Plaza fall 1984...only time we ever saw The Tryfles.

26. Das Furlines...O Tannenbaum Now...from the second volume of the above LP, called Midnight Christmas Mess Again!! on Midnight Records 1986. This is the all female combo tribute to The Monks and featured Wendy Wyld and Deb O'Nair.

Thanx for all the phone-ins on this show (and there were lots!!), emails, facebook messages and Heys!

Have a Cool Yule and we'll be back next thursday with more noise.

Here's a link to the archived show:

http://chrwradio.ca/content/radio-what-wave#prev-shows

• December 21, 2012 6:05 PM CST
    • You Better, You Bet was Ok I guess.  But Athena from the next album was pretty bad.  You're right, why bring it up.

John Battles said:

God , I know.....If "Face Dances " had been ABOUT as good as "Empty Glass"
      , people might have taken it more seriously....Is it a coincidence that the hits on both albums sound alike, tho'? A lot of Pete's songs were works in progress , some of which he'd have The Who perform before they sounded fully realized. People who saw that show in 1980 , the one that I was lucky enough to see , agreed that Jones sounded much better live than on "Face Dances"...."It's Hard" , why even bring it up? I did'nt even try to get a ticket on that tour. Of course , holding the show outdoors in December , with Billy Squier as support , why would I have?   But , The Who were'nt the only major band having a mid-life crisis at the time........

Nobody will ever be Keith Moon but I never truly thought it was fair to blame Kenny Jones for the band the way they ended up.  He's competent.  The whole thing is like Pete Best in reverse.  But howabout blaming Pete Townshend for keeping all the good songs for himself on Empty Glass and All the Best Cowboys have Chinese Eyes and giving the band crap.  Not a fan of those songs but I'm not gonna deny they have quality.  Even Emminence Front was a solo song that he put on a Who album.  But Jones' drumming wasn't bad.  It was just different.

• December 21, 2012 4:16 PM CST
    • I did'nt need to see Roger's chest , either , but it was'nt Johnny Rotten - awful !!

But......Compared to seeing Springsteen , Roger Waters , Bon Jovi , Billy Joel and Kanye West , seeing Daltrey's gut was'nt SO horriffic. Then again , it was'nt about our entertainment. I'd gladly play on a NY/NJ benefit , but I usually don't get asked to perform for GOOD causes , and , with the apparent gridlock on localized disaster relief (Have you seen Red Cross donation cans at any of your local businesses? Me either , nor for Japan , Haiti or New Orleans.), it does'nt look like this wee small burg , Chicago , will be doing any Hurricane Sandy relief benefits. Hey , I hope I'm wrong.
      melissa scott said:

Yeah, I'm sorry to say, YEAH, couldn't give a damn about anything later either. And I so want to. All that talent in his hands and Townsend just wastes it.

As for Daltry, he really should rethink trying to hit those high notes now. Oh, wow, worst part of last week's performance. Besides him opening his shirt front. *sigh*

Mel

James Porter said:

1965-68 = essential Who

1969-78 = still good, just not great

1981 onward = terrible

• December 21, 2012 4:04 PM CST
    • God , I know.....If "Face Dances " had been ABOUT as good as "Empty Glass"
      , people might have taken it more seriously....Is it a coincidence that the hits on both albums sound alike, tho'? A lot of Pete's songs were works in progress , some of which he'd have The Who perform before they sounded fully realized. People who saw that show in 1980 , the one that I was lucky enough to see , agreed that Jones sounded much better live than on "Face Dances"...."It's Hard" , why even bring it up? I did'nt even try to get a ticket on that tour. Of course , holding the show outdoors in December , with Billy Squier as support , why would I have?   But , The Who were'nt the only major band having a mid-life crisis at the time........

Nobody will ever be Keith Moon but I never truly thought it was fair to blame Kenny Jones for the band the way they ended up.  He's competent.  The whole thing is like Pete Best in reverse.  But howabout blaming Pete Townshend for keeping all the good songs for himself on Empty Glass and All the Best Cowboys have Chinese Eyes and giving the band crap.  Not a fan of those songs but I'm not gonna deny they have quality.  Even Emminence Front was a solo song that he put on a Who album.  But Jones' drumming wasn't bad.  It was just different.

• December 21, 2012 6:42 AM CST
    • The Who invented punk rock. Period.

What happened after that (until Keith has been his regular amazing self as a drummer, that means until Live at Leeds, where they invented hard rock), it's just history.

But the renditon of A Quick One on the Rock'n'Roll Circus is the greates live performance ever done by a band. And will never be outlasted.

• December 21, 2012 2:51 PM CST
    • Show #402: "Bands & Artists Starting With S, Part 8"

Every 3 weeks I do a series of shows I call the "Alphabetical Series" where I randomly draw a letter of the alphabet from a hat. Whatever letter I draw, I take all the bands and artists in my collection (from the 50's, 60's & 70's only) that start with that letter and play them in strict alphabetical order one by one until I run out of time. This week I drew the letter "S". This is the eighth time I've drawn the letter "S", so I will start from where I left off on show #7 (which was with Sir Isaac & The Do-Dads). So, tune in tonight (Friday at 10:00pm EST) to hear 3 hours of bands and artists that start with "S" like: Sir Lord Baltimore, Sir Michael & The Sands, Sir Raleigh & The Cupons, Sir Winston & The Commons, The Sires, The Sirs, The Six Pents, The Six Teens, Sixth Day Creation, 60,000,000 Buffalo, The Skatalites, The Skeptics, Skid Row, Skin Alley, Skip & Flip, Skip Bifferty, The Skope, Skorpio, The Skunks, 3 different bands called Sky, Patrick Sky, Skylark, and many others!!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750 ... Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• December 21, 2012 11:54 AM CST

• Andy Climax said:

Not too shabby! Also check out Acid Mothers Temple, Bo Ningen and Boris. I'd rock hard if i wasn't soooooo munchied, haha

Acid mothers Temple and Boris are both playing not far from me in the next few months but due to work, I'm going to have to miss both. I've seen Boris before though and they were great. I saw Dead Meadow play the next night and left while they were still playing as they just didn't compare to Boris.

• December 21, 2012 9:20 AM CST
    • Dont know if you get BBC I-player in the rest of the world but if you do tonight is Slade night, including Slade in Flame as discussed on here, gotta be worth a look!