Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 1, 2012 9:02 AM CST
    • I listened all day long to the song. Maybe it's funny, but are this the lyrics? I didn't understand everything well:

Strong come on

1. We've settled apart
      don't teach you how that goes
      no, and i never know why
      how should I main work there

Ref.
      We've had a srong come on - come on, come on
      We,ve had a strong come on - come on, come on
      We've had a strong come on - come on, come on
      Oh i'm coming, i'm coming for you!
      I'm coming, I'm coming for you!

2. I don't know how that goes
      but i know the reason why
      We now sit here alone
      Yeah, i sit here and cry

Ref.
      We've had a srong come on - come on, come on
      We,ve a strong come on - come on, come on
      We've s strong come on - come on, come on

Allright, here i come!

Ref.
      We've had a srong come on - strong comon
      We,ve a strong come on - strong
      We've s strong come on

• December 1, 2012 8:19 AM CST
    • You can listen to the soothing (or is it seething) garage-punk sounds of the Jeff of the Future Radio Show on Saturday December 1st from 1:00-3:00PM EST at 89.7 WITR-FM in Rochester, NY or streaming live at http://witr.rit.edu

• December 1, 2012 5:41 AM CST
    • I agree , a Hip Hop Hall of Fame would be the ticket....I have'nt seen the complete list , but , there's so many non - Rock'n'Roll artists. Woodie Guthrie's in there. That's cool , but is Leadbelly? Are Jimmy Rogers or Gene Autry in there for being the first (Known) White Country singers to incorporate Blues in their repertoirre , back in the 20'S.   I'm sure George Jones , as well as Johnny Cash and Hank Williams , is in there. But , what of Buck Owens , Hank Thompson , Bob Wills ,Tennessee Ernie Ford? They brought the Rock. OK , they've got a Country Music Hall of Fame, but so many Country artist were crucial in the evolution of Rock'n'ROLL.....I can't say Rap did the same thing......From RAp ANDhIP hOP , WE GET KORN , BEASTIE BOYS, Eminem , Kid Rock.....yeesh.  Also Louis Prima should be there ,if he is'nt (I doubt he is.) aalong with THE TRENIERS , only the first real Rock'n'Roll band , Wynonie Harris , Roy Brown , Amos Milburn..........

• November 30, 2012 6:02 PM CST
    • Shame they shut the fans out, as they made the band who they are. It begs the question of how they choose their nominations and inductees. Inducting NWA or Public Enemy has an element of mission creep, which I think a hip-hop hall of fame could rectify. The Genre's big enough in size and popularity to warrant it.

I'd rather see GG Allin, The Smiths, The Sonics or The Cramps in there.

John Battles said:

Meters , I don't listen to much , but , I can respect the idea, tho' there's a lot more acts to consider before you get to them.....KRAFTWERK? I like 'em , to a point , but , they have WHAT to do with Rock'n'Roll ? I'd say Suicide and Silver Apples have more to do  with it......

The thing , too , is that Kraftwerk's had more influence on Hip Hop than R'n'R.

Yeah , NWA and Public Enemy , I don't get that at all. Believe me , I caught some grief for openly admitting I did'nt like Rap or Hip Hop. I have to hear it EVERY DAY , except days when I stay inside.  I don't make anyone listen to Rock'n'Roll , or Blues , or Country , or whatwever has real instruments and people at least trying to sing......

I can get behind Albert King and Deep Purple . Others , I don't hate , but , could'nt get behind. As if we have a voice.

• November 30, 2012 5:24 PM CST
    • Meters , I don't listen to much , but , I can respect the idea, tho' there's a lot more acts to consider before you get to them.....KRAFTWERK? I like 'em , to a point , but , they have WHAT to do with Rock'n'Roll ? I'd say Suicide and Silver Apples have more to do  with it......

The thing , too , is that Kraftwerk's had more influence on Hip Hop than R'n'R.

Yeah , NWA and Public Enemy , I don't get that at all. Believe me , I caught some grief for openly admitting I did'nt like Rap or Hip Hop. I have to hear it EVERY DAY , except days when I stay inside.  I don't make anyone listen to Rock'n'Roll , or Blues , or Country , or whatwever has real instruments and people at least trying to sing......

I can get behind Albert King and Deep Purple . Others , I don't hate , but , could'nt get behind. As if we have a voice.

• November 30, 2012 3:41 PM CST
    • Good Choice, Sir.

John Spokus said:

Captain Beefheart

• November 30, 2012 9:42 AM CST
    • Captain Beefheart

• December 1, 2012 5:19 AM CST

•  CLAPTRAP PROBABLY SURMISED THAT THE JAMC WERE'NT "PROPER GUITAR PLAYERS' like he....when his departure from The  Yardbirds opened the door to real innovation. He was all right with John Mayall , I thought ,but , Peter Green was better (And the sky is blue , and "American Idol" is a crap program.).

Chris Henniker said:

I love JAMC, but why would Crapton slag 'em off? Wonder what Slowhand would have made of Primal Scream?

dave said:

I assume that someone has already contributed the Rod Stewart story of our youth, so I won't mention that.

How many Tablespoons go into a quart, anyway?

Here's one that will only appeal to the hardcore rock and roll fan...

The Jesus and Mary Chain were slated to appear on British television w/ Eric Crapton. They had just gotten new guitars, but didn't like the colour, so they took flat black cans of spray paint, and gave 'em a new paint-job backstage, strings an' all!

Clapton was supposed to be so appalled that he gave the guys a tongue-lashing (I can just imagine what little effect it had on 'em, staring at him w/ 1000 micrograms of Love coursing through their bodies, haha!).

• November 30, 2012 5:29 PM CST
    • I love JAMC, but why would Crapton slag 'em off? Wonder what Slowhand would have made of Primal Scream?

dave said:

I assume that someone has already contributed the Rod Stewart story of our youth, so I won't mention that.

The Jesus and Mary Chain were slated to appear on British television w/ Eric Crapton. They had just gotten new guitars, but didn't like the colour, so they took flat black cans of spray paint, and gave 'em a new paint-job backstage, strings an' all!

Clapton was supposed to be so appalled that he gave the guys a tongue-lashing (I can just imagine what little effect it had on 'em, staring at him w/ 1000 micrograms of Love coursing through their bodies, haha!).

• November 30, 2012 5:18 PM CST
    • Oh, come on, John (wheedle), do please tell us, hanh? 

[elbows John]

• November 30, 2012 5:13 PM CST
    • I could say something terrible , but I won't......(Beg me.).

dave said:

Ouch. Capitalized on the death of his son, too. 

But I digress...

• November 30, 2012 4:43 PM CST
    • Ouch. Capitalized on the death of his son, too. 

But I digress...

• November 30, 2012 4:32 PM CST
    • I only remember , a friend of mine told that story to his PARENTS. His mom said "That would take about FIFTY MEN!" , THEN SHE RAN OUT OF THE HOUSE. I MADE THAT LAST PART UP.

THE JAMC SHOULD HAVE TOLD CLAPTON , "BUT , YOU'VE BEEN PERFORMING IN BLACKFACE FOR YEARS !".

• November 30, 2012 3:58 PM CST
    • I assume that someone has already contributed the Rod Stewart story of our youth, so I won't mention that.

• November 30, 2012 9:32 PM CST
    • Yeah! Stoned again (same same;), is really good made!

This would be my favorite, I wish, I made this video!

Go With the FloooooooooooW

• November 30, 2012 8:35 PM CST
    • THE CHESTERFIELD KINGS "Up and Down"

One of my personal favorites from a musical and quality production standpoint. Call it rock n roll. Call it garage. The sound quality is amazing. My pet skunk told me so.

• November 30, 2012 9:05 PM CST
    • :D

to KK, you´re not seriously comparing Jake Bugg with Justin Beiber, aren´t you?

Andy Climax said:

With a big stick hopefully, hehe

KK Dirty Money & Las Drogas said:

Jake Bugg: sure beats Justin Beiber!

• November 30, 2012 7:53 PM CST
    • Casey Reid - Big Muddy Records, St. Louis

• November 30, 2012 1:49 PM CST
    • "I have see the future of Rock'n'Roll , but , that's all in the past.".

• November 30, 2012 4:37 PM CST
    • I USED TO SEE THOSE AT OSCO. i LIKED THE CARTOON COVERS , BUT , i ONLY HAD A VAGUE UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT HAD HAPPENED IN THE '60s , And , IT WAS ONLY A FEW YEARS EARLIER , FOR ME. I ALSO FIRST SAW "WHO'LL SAVE THE WORLD....THE MIGHTY GROUNDHOGS" LP WITH THE COOL COMIC ART AT OSCO.

• November 30, 2012 4:17 PM CST
    • Even w/ the Payola scandal, music from '55 'til '67 was loaded w/ super stuff!!

The best DJs alone made listening an experience! Most of us here are too young to have heard 'em. For instance, I came of age in the early 80s, when Empty Vee was starting its rise to ubiquity (but does any self-respecting kid nowadays watch that crap?).

If you can find the Cruisin' series it would be well worth your while. Going from '55 up 'til '71 or so, they take a top DJ of that year and give you ads, songs, and disc-jockey patter. The sleeves were comics depicting that year, illustrated by Dick Royer, and the liner notes  give you news for that year. Really cool...

My fave volume is 1962, from Dallas with Russ 'Weird Beard' Knight (who just passed away). Damn near everything he said rhymed, and he never paused for so much as a breath.

Check it out.

Stuff like the Wailers 'Tall Cool One' made the charts, Tri-state smashes, and regional one-off singles would snowball into minor hits. Good luck finding that today!

{Grouchy Old Man voice} The record industry and the Hippies killed off the cool, and the fun.

• November 30, 2012 11:26 AM CST
    • Show #399: "Fall 2012 Pledge Drive Show"

It's that time of year again!! It's the FALL 2012 PLEDGE DRIVE SHOW!! WSCA needs your support and we want YOU to join us, and become a member of our community radio station by making a pledge of any amount! If you enjoy The Metaphysical Circus, or any of the original programming on WSCA, and want to keep our non-commercial radio station on the air, then why not show it by calling us up this week and make a donation? Yeah! Tune in tonight and make a pledge, for any amount, and help support community radio. Tonight I will be doing songs about "The Radio" and I hope that the love for original radio programming that inspired these songs inspires you to give us a call! This is a VERY crucial membership drive, and if you have ever thought about supporting the station, THIS WEEK IS THE TIME!!! We need to raise $25,000 in just one week, and I'd like to get us closer to that goal tonight! SO PLEASE, call us tonight at 1-603-430-9722 or make a donation online at wscafm.org. WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU!!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show by "liking it" on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• November 30, 2012 10:06 AM CST
    • Thanks for your answer. I own 2 Squier jaguar vintage modified short scale (I defretted one) and now I cant play with anything else than a short scale, it's a real pleasure to play on a easy bass like that. And seriously, this Squier rocks ! Very cheap price but good quality and good 60's sound !

John Carlucci said:

I own a 67 EB2, and while I love it for some things, it is a very limited instrument. It can be very muddy at times. Hollow Body basses played at loud volumes can feed back. So if you are playing in a loud band with a hard hitting drummer, that can be a problem. Especially with a 1 pick up EB 2 like mine.

The EB3 or it's modern cousin the SG bass, being that it has the extra pick-up, has more tonal capabilities. The neck humbucker is a pretty powerful pickup, so just make sure you have a decent bass amp with good speakers.

I also sometimes prefer short scale basses. The MIJ RI Fender Mustang basses are fantastic instruments. They have specially designed Seymour Duncan pickups, which make them sound like a P Bass. Before buying, I'd recommend you try one of these. ( make sure it's an MIJ Fender Mustang not a Squier) Unfortunately they only import white ones to the US now (which is a nice choice) however in Japan, they sell a wide range of colors & even the RI Competition bass. I managed to score one of those & love it.