Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 2, 2012 4:05 PM CST
    • Oww! Tell it like it is!

Dana V. Hatch said:

Little Steven's involvement will insure the music sucks and the story will probably be bland and nostalgic rather than specific and weird like the stories of real bands like the Monks or my fave story, the Novas, a bunch of teens who sold a quarter million of their first single then fell apart after one of them got caught with a beer. Moulty would be a great subject for a movie too (Barbarian!).They'll get the clothes wrong too, putting the band in mod threads when most of 'em either wore the same duds they wore to school or dorky matching outfits.

• December 2, 2012 4:01 PM CST
    • The music Business doesn't particulary like anything to be desperately dangerous. Popular taste is, ultimately, very conventional. And if you don't slot into that category, then you will find it fairly hard to survive in the music business.

- Geoffrey Haslam, producer, the MC5's High Time

• December 2, 2012 2:54 PM CST
    • Whew, wotta song quote!!

Good post. What else can I add?

• December 2, 2012 2:45 PM CST
    • It's horrible. But , the first thing that came to mind , when I heard the news about Clapton's Son (Besides , what kind of person leaves the window wide open in an apartment building when there's a small child around?) was (Set to the tune of "Badge " by Cream) -

"I Told You Not To Walk To Close To The Ledge.....". It came to me in an instant. And I THOUGHT , OH , GOD , I COULD NEVER USE IT......BUT....YOU asked for it.

Losing a child , though , makes people like this seem that much more human. It made Robert Plant seem human , but , he did'nt do a top selling, award winning album and video of dull remakes of his old songs (That would be Plant and Page , MANY years later.) to "Mourn". Jerry Lee lost TWO sons. In a life and career that reeked of sensationalism , no attempt was made to sensationalize these tragedies. The Killer already thought God and the world were against him , anyway. Roy Orbison lost , what , two, three children ? , and he seemed like the nicest guy in the world. You can't dumb down a tragedy like Clapton losing a son , even if you don't care for him. But ,  I think his response was all wrong , even if it's not my place to say.

P.S. McCartney put out his last ass- whompin' Rock'n'Roll album shortly after Linda died. I'm sure most "Fans"wanted weepy love songs , but, he'd already done that. Instead , he let his anger collide with his sadness (If you've been thru this , and most of us have , loss brings with it MANY conlicting emotions.), and made a Rock'n'Roll record ("Run , Devil , Run") so shit - hot , many of his fans HATED it. THAT made Sir Macca seem that much more human to me.

dave said:

Oh, come on, John (wheedle), do please tell us, hanh? 

[elbows John]

• December 1, 2012 6:07 PM CST
    • We all know the poison that is MTV. We would only be affected if we had the stupidity to watch MTV. The video keeps good honest film makers in business. Without them would Gilliam, the Coen Brothers etc be able to further the beauty they give? If you look, even in the early days, television brought the music to the kids. Video's on the whole are shite, but if it delivers  good music to the masses.... I'm all for'em! A perfect example below. Beautiful and very very provocative!!!

dave said:

Erm, not to splash cold water onto this topic, but why do you need a video? I always think of MTV from the 80s when I hear of video-making. It's the music that grabs a music fan, yeah?

• December 1, 2012 4:49 PM CST
    • Erm, not to splash cold water onto this topic, but why do you need a video? I always think of MTV from the 80s when I hear of video-making. It's the music that grabs a music fan, yeah?

• December 1, 2012 2:56 PM CST
    • This one too, I wonder if these guys take drugs :L

• December 1, 2012 2:54 PM CST
    • Always liked this one.

• December 2, 2012 1:21 PM CST
    • +1 for Scott H. Biram & Bob Log III

• December 2, 2012 12:52 PM CST
    • One of my favorite bands in Italy: 

Sick Tamburo

• December 1, 2012 11:22 PM CST
    • Thee Cormans is a fun band with a great live show.

• December 1, 2012 5:51 PM CST
    • A band from englanshire who are undoubtedly the most mental fuckin band i've seen or heard... Lightning Bolt. check the asked drummer.

• December 1, 2012 5:44 PM CST
    • They weren't exactly masked but saw Man or Astroman in Dundee about 12 years ago and they all had tv's on their heads. Outstanding!!!

• December 2, 2012 12:21 PM CST
    • Show #399: "Fall 2012 Pledge Drive Show" playlist:

Gong - "Radio Gnome/You Can't Kill Me"
      Supersister - "Radio"
      Ramones - "Do You Remember Rock 'N' Roll Radio"
      Empire - "Hear My Voice On The Radio"
      The Doors - "The WASP (Texas Radio And The Big Beat)"
      The Electric Light Orchestra - "Mr. Radio"
      Nikita The K - "Go Go Radio Moscow"
      Mmoss - "War Sux"
      Illes - "Taskaradio"
      The Ways & Means - "Make The Radio A Little Louder"
      Elvis Costello & The Attractions - "Radio, Radio"
      Masters Apprentices - "Turn Up Your Radio"
      Rush - "The Spirit Of Radio"
      Joni Mitchell - "You Turn Me On, I'm A Radio"
      Warren Zevon - "Mohammed's Radio"
      Black Sabbath - "Am I Going Insane (Radio)/The Writ"
      Kraftwerk - "Radio Stars/Uranium"
      The Loot - "Radio City"
      The Cosmic Jokers - "Electronic News/Intergalactic Radio Guri Broadcasting/Raumschiff Galaxy Gleitet Im Sonnenwind/Insterstellar Rock: Kosmiche Musick/Raumschiff Galaxy Saust In Die Lichtbahnen/Der Planet Des Stemenmadchens"
      Gong - "Radio Gnome Invisible/Flying Teapot"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/399.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/399.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show by "liking it" on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• December 1, 2012 5:25 PM CST
    • .....Also "Long Legged Girl" (With a Short Dress On) , by Elvis. Not only is it the closest to Garage Punk he ever got ("Never SAY YES" , A DISTANT SECOND.), BUT IT Clocks in at less than a minute and a half....And a LOT happens in that time. Probably his shortest song .

• December 1, 2012 9:51 PM CST
    • my lady threw this on a mix a few years back and it instantly became a favorite of mine. sad thing is neither her nor i have any clue who it is and its been eating me alive too long.
      If you have any information on the artist and song title, please share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w4naPlWE2I

• December 1, 2012 4:08 PM CST
    • I have just got this sent to me 5 minutes ago. Ian Mckaye from Fugazi. Fuck it, that boy can punk! Enjoy

• December 1, 2012 2:50 PM CST
    • Playlist 12/01/2012

Kraut  Arming The World 
      Shattered Faith  Right Is Right 
      Divine Horsemen  My Sin 
      Ed Gein's Car  Cream of Wheat 
      Chesterfield Kings  She Told Me Lies 
      Ugly Beats  KO'ed 
      Every Mother's Son  Allison Dozer 
      MC5  Poison 
      Ty Segall  Would You Be My Love 
      Tiger High  Coral Castle 
      Brian Wilson Shock Treatment  Raise Them Up 
      Moon Duo  Sleep Walker 
      Joy Division  Transmission 
      Buzzcocks  I Look Alone 
      Fall  Leave The Capital 
      Jesus and Mary Chain  In A Hole 
      Stupidity  This Love Is for Real 
      Nevermores  Lilly's 11th 
      Redd Kross  Uglier 
      Nomads  The Bad Times Will Do Me Good 
      True West  Lucifer Sam 
      Lyres  Touch 
      Evil Tenors  Peach Fuzz/You're Not A Sharp Knife 
      Ravonettes  Till the End 
      Agent Orange  A Cry for Help In A World Gone Mad 
      Dead Kennedys  Winebago Warrior 
      Black Randy and the Metro Squad  I Slept In An Arcade 
      Social Distortion  Let It Be Me 
      Clash  Capital Radio Two 
      Damned  Problem Child 
      Stranglers  Nice N' Sleazy 
      Left Arm  New Kind of Kick 
      Palmyra Delran  You're My Brian Jones 
      King Tuff  Love Potion 
      Minutemen  Storm In My House 
      Henry Fiat's Open Sore  Don't Try This At Home 
      Godfathers  Gone to Texas 

• December 1, 2012 12:22 PM CST
    • It really needs streamlining, with more country artists who contributed, for starters, and fewer of the populist inductees like Madonna. What did she contribute to rock'n'roll anyway? They really need to purge people put in for spurious reasons like unit sales and put some real rock'n'roll in.

Just out of curiousity, what Jazz musicians contributed to rock'n'roll's genesis? 

John Battles said:

I agree , a Hip Hop Hall of Fame would be the ticket....I have'nt seen the complete list , but , there's so many non - Rock'n'Roll artists. Woodie Guthrie's in there. That's cool , but is Leadbelly? Are Jimmy Rogers or Gene Autry in there for being the first (Known) White Country singers to incorporate Blues in their repertoirre , back in the 20'S.   I'm sure George Jones , as well as Johnny Cash and Hank Williams , is in there. But , what of Buck Owens , Hank Thompson , Bob Wills ,Tennessee Ernie Ford? They brought the Rock. OK , they've got a Country Music Hall of Fame, but so many Country artist were crucial in the evolution of Rock'n'ROLL.....I can't say Rap did the same thing......From RAp ANDhIP hOP , WE GET KORN , BEASTIE BOYS, Eminem , Kid Rock.....yeesh.  Also Louis Prima should be there ,if he is'nt (I doubt he is.) aalong with THE TRENIERS , only the first real Rock'n'Roll band , Wynonie Harris , Roy Brown , Amos Milburn..........

• December 1, 2012 10:32 AM CST
    • Has anyone mentioned Robert Johnson yet? Surely the gawdfather of all we listen to??? Hope not too controversial. If anyone has mentioned him.... Well done!

• December 1, 2012 11:10 AM CST
    • Radio What Wave Playlist Nov 30/2012

1. The Shanks...Killing Tune...from The Dark Richard CD from 2010. The Shanks are on a German tour right now...congrats guys!!

2. The Viletones...Don't Lie To Me...live at The Horseshoe 1978 and this is the beginning of our tribute to drummer Motor Mike who passed away last week.

3. The Viletones...Never Feel Sad...from A Taste Of Honey CD on OPM.

4. The Secrets...I'll Cry Tomorrow...from the Teenage Rampage CD on OPM.

5. The Secrets...All The Words...as above.

6. Arson...Coho Coho...from their only 7".

7. Blackie and The Rodeo Kings...Lean On Your Peers...from The Kings Of Love CD. Blackie is in town today at Aeolian Hall.

8. Florida Razors...Slow Down...recorded live at Bullwinkles 1/16/86. Tom Wilson was singer/guitarist in this band.

9. Chachi On Acid...Barbra...recorded live at Call The Office 4/13/96 and they are playing tonite at Brennan's here in London.

10. The Subhumans...I Got Religion...from the New Dark Age Parade CD.

11. The Terminals...D Generation...from Slippery's Club Hits, the cassette that comes with What Wave 24 now available at stores.

12. NFG...Weekend Punx...recorded live late 70's.

13. NFG...Cowboy Rock...from Slippery's CLub Hits...

14. NFG...Teenage Kicks...recorded live at Call The Office 10/27/12 and they open tonite for the Forgotten Rebels at Call The Office.

15. Forgotten Rebels...Oh Girl...from the Welcome To My Basement CD, Mickey Desadist demos and early recordings.

16. Forgotten Rebels...I Think Of Her...recorded live at The Cedar, Fall 1980.

17. Forgotten Rebels...England Keep You Stars...from the This Ain't Hollywood LP.

18. Ills....Joe Is Dead...from their brand new Turning Out CD.

19. Los Chicos Problema...El Plan...from a demo they sent us. 2 piece outta Mexico!!

20. Barbacans...Hug Hug...from their No Hits For The Kids CD on Boss Hoss.

21. The Skeptics...High On A Cloud...from their brand new CD.

22. Viv Sun and The Black Holes...Hobo...mid 90's demo.

23. Pretty Things...Buzz The Jerk...from their 2nd LP, Get The Picture and goes out to Psycho Daisies who covered this song last weekend.

24. Uranus...Motorbikin'....from Slippery's Club Hits.

Thanx for all the phone calls, emails, messages etc!! 

Next week we go from 5 to 7PM, it's all female voices as we commemorate The Montreal Massacre from 1989. Ashley D will be doing the yammering next week, and i'll be spinning the disks in the background.

Here's a link to the archived show:

http://chrwradio.ca/content/radio-what-wave#prev-shows