Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 3, 2012 4:33 PM CST
    • Thanks. It did'nt get more impossible to wash out the stains , not even with Ajax "Stronger Than Dirt" Laundry Detergent , than The Swamp Rats. BUT , THERE ARE SO MANY OTHERS WHO WERE HEAVY , AS OPPOSED TO METAL....Grungy as opposed to Grunge....

• December 2, 2012 9:46 PM CST
    • Yeah!! The Swamp Rats! Especially this song:

and the Sonics, too, of course! ;)

Good topic Trash Freak! You know your stuff, John! I'll have to check out the few from your list I haven't heard, and others' to follow, cuz it's definitely something to think about. Now I'm intrigued, too!

• December 2, 2012 8:44 PM CST
    • It's going to sound cliche , but , I'd have to start with The Sonics , as they were recording , commercially , as early as 1964 - 65. Link Wray , of course , before them , broke the sound barrier. Pat Hare , who was Muddy Waters' Rhythm Guitarist for a while , cut probably the heaviest number of his time , "I'm Gonna Murder My Baby" , credited as being the first use of guitar distortion on a record , in the early to mid 50" (I forget what year...). Paul Burlison ,  from Johnny Burnette's Rock'n' Roll Trio , inadvertently created The Fuzztone  when a tube in his am got loose just before a show. But , after that , and before Hendrix , Cream , and , of course , Blue Cheer , The Mc5 , The Stooges , etc. , there was Travis Wammack , Davie Allan and The Arrows , and Garage bands who got sometimes , or frequently , heavy , like Gonn , The Buckinghams (Laff all you want. 3 WORDS : "Don't Wanna Cry".), Shadows of Knight , Del-Vettes , Oxford Circle , THE SWAMP RATS !!! , Zakary Thaks , Richard and The Young Lions , the monks ,  and a zillion others.

• December 2, 2012 5:48 PM CST
    • Before the likes of Hendrix, Cream, Deep Purple etc, exactly How hard, heavy, dirty, trashy, raucous, screamy, aggressive, or dark, did stuff get?

I've got plenty of wild tracks, but was just wondering how far the limits were pushed, or if there's any gems i've missed!

• December 3, 2012 3:49 PM CST
    • holy shit dudes thanks! dont know how this was so hard to find for years, much appreciation

• December 3, 2012 10:31 AM CST
    • Good song, never heard it b4 today.

• December 2, 2012 10:42 PM CST
    • The only '60s garage track called "A Woman" (which I'm guessing is the name) that I could track down was by a band called the Bandits. It was included on the "Psychedelic States: Georgia in the '60s" CD comp. I don't have it to check for sure, but you could try hunting it down to see if it's the same song...

http://www.soybomb.com/garage-comps/classic/index.php?code=2057&format=CD

• December 2, 2012 8:55 PM CST
    • It seems like I've heard it , before , but, I can't place it.....Sorry , it's a really good song. If I find out anything, I'll get back with you.

• December 3, 2012 1:36 PM CST
    • Hey y'all, the December schedule's now streaming at www.dandelionradio.com - I've got boss tunes this month from Mugstar, Moon Duo, Eternal Tapestry, B-17 and loads more, a couple of classic Peel bands in action (The Inca Babies and The Wedding Present among them) and some classic session tracks from my own shows including Salford's psychedelic warlords Gnod, Swedish garage psych-popsters The Greencoats  and the mightily mighty noise fest that is The Chasms.

Let me know if you get the chance to hear it - pete@dandelionradio.com

• December 3, 2012 1:28 PM CST
    • Hello - might I humbly suggest you give Dandelion Radio a listen? We 're 'inspired by John Peel', voted no. 1 place to find new music by the Louder Than War blog, and official home to John Peel's Festive Fifty. Plus, there's usually some garage, psych and rock n roll on my show every month.

Let me know if you get the chance to listen

www.dandelionradio.com

pete@dandelionradio.com

• December 3, 2012 12:32 PM CST
    • Thanks, Dave. I was born a bit too late for actual 'personality' DJs, and after all these decades of demographically-programmed media-monopoly pablum on the air, it's a hoot to listen to this.

Mike said:

Dave,

I like listening to old radio shows when I can find them too. Some of the faves I've picked up have been by Hunter Hancock, one of the first if not first white DJs here in LA to play "race" music back in the late 40's & early 50's, as well as some from Mad Daddy Pete Meyers. Here is a real cool one (in my opinion), from upstate New York I believe, by George Hound Dog Lorenz on on WJJL from 1957. It sounds like crap, it's a modern rebroadcast I believe, but is loaded with great R&B and pitter patter between the platters. 

Hound Dog Lorenz - 1957

And here is a link to some of his later 60's shows that sound much better.

Hound Dog Lorenz Shows

Enjoy

• December 3, 2012 10:32 AM CST
    • Dave,

I like listening to old radio shows when I can find them too. Some of the faves I've picked up have been by Hunter Hancock, one of the first if not first white DJs here in LA to play "race" music back in the late 40's & early 50's, as well as some from Mad Daddy Pete Meyers. Here is a real cool one (in my opinion), from upstate New York I believe, by George Hound Dog Lorenz on on WJJL from 1957. It sounds like crap, it's a modern rebroadcast I believe, but is loaded with great R&B and pitter patter between the platters. 

Hound Dog Lorenz - 1957

And here is a link to some of his later 60's shows that sound much better.

Hound Dog Lorenz Shows

Enjoy

• December 3, 2012 11:51 AM CST
    • Finding about The Who at an early age created an indelible impression on me that has influenced all my musical taste to present day.  My avatar says it all.  It's all in good fun too. I'm a Who-Head too!  Like Senor Starr said....there's too much good to say! 
      Hell....dig this one: 

• December 3, 2012 11:19 AM CST
    • The Trip! November 25th Show!  CORRECTED LINK! 

Listen here: http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20121202-0030-t13544...

The setlist:
      CRAZY WORLD OF ARTHUR BROWN -SPONTANEOUS APPLE CREATION
      HUMAN EYE -HUMAN EYE

LINK WRAY -FATBACK
      THE READY MEN -SHORTNIN' BREAD
      SNUKY TATE -CAN YOU DANCE TO IT
      KIM FOWLEY -REINCARNATION
      MRS. SMITH -BELGIUM BY BUS
      LOVE -ORANGE SKIES
      THE DICKIES -PRETTY PLEASE ME
      MRS. SMITH -ROCKET SHIP 7
      MRS. SMITH -MR. MYSTERY
      XTC -ANOTHER SATELLITE
      LEARNING - STARDUST
      THE SONICS-PSYCHO
      MRS. SMITH -A SONG FOR TONY
      PAT AND THE CALIFORNIANS -BE BILLY
      ROBERT HUNTER -THAT TRAIN
      THE STARFIRES -I NEVER LOVED HER
      MRS. SMITH -IF I'M A VAMPIRE

• December 3, 2012 9:59 AM CST
    • As much as I like Danny Devito's work, I can't envision him making a movie based on "Please Kill Me," unless maybe he plans on making a documentary, which would make sense since the book reads like a documentary.  

I wonder if Devito hung out at CBGB back when he was working on "Taxi."  Maybe he and John Belushi did some blow or smack together at the place.

BTW, since that old link has been changed, here is a new link FYI...

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/david-chase-recalls-teenage-love-of-the-rolling-stones-in-new-film-20121130

Enjoy.

John Battles said:

No. Have'nt heard about that CBGB's movie , though , I'll name drop just a bit, and tell you Sylvain Sylvain once told me that Danny Devito owns the film rights to "Please Kill Me". So I got on the phone and said , "Danny , the fuck you thinkin'? "Please Kill Me" is all interviews! How are they gonna get a script from that?".      PSYCH !!!!! I don't really know Danny Devito.

Since this is an older thread , I did'nt know what the connection was to The Sopranos or James Gandolfini.....Is there a rock band film coming out with several members of the cast? When I looked up the link , it said "Ten things you don't know about "Thriller"."(NOT your doing , MikeL.)

How about 10 things we DO know.

1. Vincent Price OWNS the album.

2. Michael sounded less like a little girl when he was TEN.

3."Beat It " contains a sped up imitation "Mississippi Queen"riff.

4. Eddie Van Halen's cameo proves , again , he may be one of the most dexterous guitarists of his ilk , as well as one of the most boring.

5. "The Girl is Mine'' is even worse than "Say , Say , Say".

6. Michael still had most of his original face on the cover.

7.IF i'D WRITTEN SOMETHING AS STUPID , AND AS CREEPILY SEXIST , AS "C.Y.T" , I WOULD NOT BE GOING HOME WITH A GRAMMY. " I want to love you , you love thing. You're just a love thing". Genius lyrics , I know , but , Chip Taylor , he was'nt.

8."Thriller " sold more copies than the combined populations or China , Russia and India because The Cramps were still in legal litigation with their label, and were forbidden to release anything at the time.

9. OK , that one , I made up. But , Jackson turned a Patrimony suit into a hit song. That's fucked up.

10.Quincy Jones would'nt let Vincent Price re-do the first take of the best part of the album , anyway , what Price , himself , called "That idiot laugh! HAAAAAAAH  HAAAAA HAAAAAAA!!!". Should have been a single - "Vincent Price "Thriller Rap " , minus the backing track. He was'nt even credited on the album.

MikeL said:

I liked both "The Runaways" and that movie about the Germs.  I also liked "Velvet Goldmine" and "Almost Famous."  I also love the greatest fictional band movie of them all, "This is Spinal Tap."  The only really bad fictional band band movie I can think of is "Rock Star."  it takes place here in Pittsburgh, but that doesn't make it any better.  

Off topic:  As for "Heaven's Gate," visually it's a stunning movie.  As far as the story and the characters go, it left something to be desired.

BTW, has anyone here heard about a movie that's coming out next year about CBGB?  I'm friends with Cheetah Chrome of the Dead Boys on facebook (I am such a shameless name dropper), and he plays a cab driver who hates punk rock.  

dave said:

Funny coincidence, alright. I was just searchin' for Dana's Page, but I couldn't help myself, mwahahahaaaa!

While I agree with, well, all of Dana's criticisms, your points are right on target. It's the director who makes or breaks it, as long as the script and acting are solid. Best of luck to 'em.

(Off-topic: I've never seen Heaven's Gate, I've been told that it holds up better now-days)

Weird, just the other day, I was thinkin' about those Germs and Runaways movies that disappeared w/o a trace. And there was that Joan Jett/Michael Fox thing...

Do you have any fictional rock films that work?

• December 2, 2012 8:13 PM CST
    • No. Have'nt heard about that CBGB's movie , though , I'll name drop just a bit, and tell you Sylvain Sylvain once told me that Danny Devito owns the film rights to "Please Kill Me". So I got on the phone and said , "Danny , the fuck you thinkin'? "Please Kill Me" is all interviews! How are they gonna get a script from that?".      PSYCH !!!!! I don't really know Danny Devito.

Since this is an older thread , I did'nt know what the connection was to The Sopranos or James Gandolfini.....Is there a rock band film coming out with several members of the cast? When I looked up the link , it said "Ten things you don't know about "Thriller"."(NOT your doing , MikeL.)

How about 10 things we DO know.

1. Vincent Price OWNS the album.

2. Michael sounded less like a little girl when he was TEN.

3."Beat It " contains a sped up imitation "Mississippi Queen"riff.

4. Eddie Van Halen's cameo proves , again , he may be one of the most dexterous guitarists of his ilk , as well as one of the most boring.

5. "The Girl is Mine'' is even worse than "Say , Say , Say".

6. Michael still had most of his original face on the cover.

7.IF i'D WRITTEN SOMETHING AS STUPID , AND AS CREEPILY SEXIST , AS "C.Y.T" , I WOULD NOT BE GOING HOME WITH A GRAMMY. " I want to love you , you love thing. You're just a love thing". Genius lyrics , I know , but , Chip Taylor , he was'nt.

8."Thriller " sold more copies than the combined populations or China , Russia and India because The Cramps were still in legal litigation with their label, and were forbidden to release anything at the time.

9. OK , that one , I made up. But , Jackson turned a Patrimony suit into a hit song. That's fucked up.

10.Quincy Jones would'nt let Vincent Price re-do the first take of the best part of the album , anyway , what Price , himself , called "That idiot laugh! HAAAAAAAH  HAAAAA HAAAAAAA!!!". Should have been a single - "Vincent Price "Thriller Rap " , minus the backing track. He was'nt even credited on the album.

MikeL said:

I liked both "The Runaways" and that movie about the Germs.  I also liked "Velvet Goldmine" and "Almost Famous."  I also love the greatest fictional band movie of them all, "This is Spinal Tap."  The only really bad fictional band band movie I can think of is "Rock Star."  it takes place here in Pittsburgh, but that doesn't make it any better.  

Off topic:  As for "Heaven's Gate," visually it's a stunning movie.  As far as the story and the characters go, it left something to be desired.

BTW, has anyone here heard about a movie that's coming out next year about CBGB?  I'm friends with Cheetah Chrome of the Dead Boys on facebook (I am such a shameless name dropper), and he plays a cab driver who hates punk rock.  

dave said:

Funny coincidence, alright. I was just searchin' for Dana's Page, but I couldn't help myself, mwahahahaaaa!

While I agree with, well, all of Dana's criticisms, your points are right on target. It's the director who makes or breaks it, as long as the script and acting are solid. Best of luck to 'em.

(Off-topic: I've never seen Heaven's Gate, I've been told that it holds up better now-days)

Weird, just the other day, I was thinkin' about those Germs and Runaways movies that disappeared w/o a trace. And there was that Joan Jett/Michael Fox thing...

• December 2, 2012 7:31 PM CST
    • I liked both "The Runaways" and that movie about the Germs.  I also liked "Velvet Goldmine" and "Almost Famous."  I also love the greatest fictional band movie of them all, "This is Spinal Tap."  The only really bad fictional band band movie I can think of is "Rock Star."  it takes place here in Pittsburgh, but that doesn't make it any better.  

dave said:

• December 2, 2012 5:47 PM CST
    • Funny coincidence, alright. I was just searchin' for Dana's Page, but I couldn't help myself, mwahahahaaaa!

• December 2, 2012 5:06 PM CST
    • All I'm going to say is that David Chase is directing this movie, and it's based on his own story (He played in a garage band that literally never left the garage when he was a kid), so if you don't like it, he's the man to direct your rage at.  Yeah, I know Little Steven is heavily involved in this, but the director is the one who really makes the movie work, or not work for that matter (I just hope it doesn't turn into a Michael Cimino's "Heaven's Gate" disaster).  As for Dana, he gets angry about other things.  It's probably just his nature. 

Funny you should respond to this, because this movie will be released on Dec. 21.  I was thinking about mentioning this, but I decided to wait until it came out to see if it gets any response around here.  It was screened at a film festival in NYC to mixed reviews, so I'm not expecting overwhelming critical praise, nor do I expect this to be a huge box office hit.  Believe it or not, I mainly want to see it because of Chase, since I'm a big "Sopranos" fan.

dave said:

Oww! Tell it like it is!

Dana V. Hatch said:

Little Steven's involvement will insure the music sucks and the story will probably be bland and nostalgic rather than specific and weird like the stories of real bands like the Monks or my fave story, the Novas, a bunch of teens who sold a quarter million of their first single then fell apart after one of them got caught with a beer. Moulty would be a great subject for a movie too (Barbarian!).They'll get the clothes wrong too, putting the band in mod threads when most of 'em either wore the same duds they wore to school or dorky matching outfits.

• December 2, 2012 10:35 PM CST
    • JTX - 'The Sore Losers' is a good one.

• December 2, 2012 8:47 PM CST
    • You're right , it is.

Kirk Teeters said:

One word: crass.

John Battles said:

Well , while you're thinking about it , dave , that's not an actual quote from the song......listen to it sometime , when you're in dire need of boredom , you'll pick up on it.

• December 2, 2012 7:54 PM CST
    • One word: crass.

John Battles said:

Well , while you're thinking about it , dave , that's not an actual quote from the song......listen to it sometime , when you're in dire need of boredom , you'll pick up on it.

• December 2, 2012 7:44 PM CST
    • Well , while you're thinking about it , dave , that's not an actual quote from the song......listen to it sometime , when you're in dire need of boredom , you'll pick up on it.