Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• October 16, 2012 11:09 PM CDT
    • I remembered seeing this a long time ago. And I still agree. It was weird hearing "What Do I GET" OR "Blitzkrieg Bop" in a beer commercial the first time , but, so what?
       Punk Rock does'nt pay old age pension , much less , Medical insurance, so , if those people who were fortunate enough to not be Dee Dee , Joey and Johnny Ramone and drop off and die when the checks started coming in , and are making some of the money their labels and publishers denied them , I can handle hearing it in a commercial. It's about creative placement of songs , not enticing fans. How many people even know this stuff ? The average Joe knows a handfull of Ramones songs , but , The Stooges , the monks , or Link Wray? I don't think so. Most jockboys would'nt know what you were talking about if you mentioned "Rock'n'Roll Pt. 2", and they've heard it more times than we have .

I hear The Clash , The Ramones , and Sweet in my local supermarket , now , and I don't have a problem with that.
      kopper said:

Exactly.

Alison said:

Selling out means changing your sound/vibe/look/ethos in order to please the masses and get more attention and make more money.

• October 16, 2012 7:18 PM CDT
    • I think if a band can stay together for a long period of time it is making it. It says a lot about a band / group. It's hard to get 3,4,5 musicians to always agree 100% on everything. Even more so the longer they are together.

To me selling out is when it becomes all about the money, and less about putting out good music. Please don't just toss an album out there with one damn good song and 7-8 other crappy songs for fill space.

"I was listening to music long before rock 'n roll."   Bill Wyman

• October 15, 2012 7:47 PM CDT
    •   As someone who holds a BFA in fine Art & who has been playing music for 40 years, my feeling on the subject is that any real artist needs to be true to themselves. That is why I decided to stop trying to make a living off music. I have another career that supports me. This way the music I make is music that I like. I don't have to compromise or sell out because that's not my goal.

• October 16, 2012 7:51 PM CDT
    • This week's show featured music from Young Rival, Light Bulb Alley, The Gerry Alvarez Odyssey, Bell Peppers, Pow Wows, two songs from Garage Punk Hideouts Monster Garage compilation and a mini feature on Iggy Pop.

Listen/downoad this weeks podcast here:

http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20121016-1030-t1350379800.mp3

Check out my blog post on Iggy Pop's 1980 album Soldier here:

http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2012/10/iggy-pop-soldier-show-426.html

This week's play list:

1.  Fun Things – Lipstick
      2.  Quinteto Acadademico – Train
      3.  New Kind of Mambo – Monkey Swing
      4.  Sonic Reverends – Have Some Mercy!
      5.  Paradise – Creatures of the Night
      6.  Cartoons – Vinyl Riot
      7.  Falklands – It’s Good To See You
      8.  Blank Generation – Reaction
      9.  Albert Hammond Jr. – Everyone Gets A Star
      10. Divine Fits – What Gets You Alone
      11. TV Smith’s Explorers – See Europe
      12. The Gerry Alvarez Odyssey – In The Garden
      13. Light Bulb Alley – Long Time Coming
      14. Os Morgans – Opus
      15. Bell Peppers – Rubber Bullets
      16. Bell Peppers – Golf Shack
      17. The Ghastly Ones - Mysterion
      18. Actual Water –Brighton
      19. Young Rival - Nothing You Know Too Well
      20. Pow Wows – Killing Me
      21. Iggy Pop – I Need More
      22. Iggy Pop – Ambition

• October 16, 2012 7:01 PM CDT
    • ....And how could I forget , "The Raver" ?

John Battles said:

A LOT of people share your opinion. I had the pleasure of being able to tell them I , and many others , want to adopt them as an American band.

Gruesome Grinham said:

For me "I Just Sing" is A KILLER.

I cannot list my fave Troggs tracks, as i have an huge amount of time for this band. In My opinion probably England's only genuine Sixties garage outfit.

• October 16, 2012 6:59 PM CDT
    • A LOT of people share your opinion. I had the pleasure of being able to tell them I , and many others , want to adopt them as an American band.

Gruesome Grinham said:

For me "I Just Sing" is A KILLER.

I cannot list my fave Troggs tracks, as i have an huge amount of time for this band. In My opinion probably England's only genuine Sixties garage outfit.

• October 16, 2012 3:35 PM CDT
    • Alright thanks er'body, I got some songs to look up...

• October 16, 2012 4:16 AM CDT
    • For me "I Just Sing" is A KILLER.

• October 15, 2012 8:08 PM CDT
    • God , There's so many.

Feels Like a Woman , Strange Movies , Gonna Make You (Even the 70's version.) , Lost Girl , Just a Little Too Much *, Evil , The Yella in Me , Maybe The Madman , Heads or Tails ,

Say , Darlin' ,  Hip Hip Hooray , 66 54321 , Girl in Black , I Can Only Give You Everything **,,

Surprise , Surprise (I Need You) , From Home , I Can't Control Myself , Night of The Long Grass , Supergirl , Hot Stuff , Suspicious , I Don't ,   I Do , I Do , and a zillion others.

* A Ricky Nelson/Johnny and Dorsey Burnette cover. Their version is SAVAGE.

** Recorded shortly after THEM's original.

My favorite Troggs ballad is probably "A Different Me". "Queen of Sorrows" , too.

What they did to "Satisfaction" and , especially, "Good Vibrations" is a whole 'nuther animal.

• October 16, 2012 6:56 PM CDT
    • Since "A Bigger Bang" , they've shown a lot more focus . Some of that stuff they did in the 80's and 90's ,well ....THAT made me wish they'd hang it up.This may not be a classic , but it's good, raw , Rock'n'Roll. More than we have the right to ask of 'em , but , I'll take it.

• October 16, 2012 6:21 PM CDT
    • Have you seen Bourbon Army ?  I saw them earlier in the year on my way back to the states from Amsterdam. Took the boat down the river and spent a couple nights in London.

www.reverbnation.com/bourbonarmy

• October 16, 2012 5:45 PM CDT
    • There are loads of bands playing around the Uk. Check out my band The Hi Class Joes from Bristol, MFC Chicken and King Salami from London, Les Bof and the Brutes from Scotland. The Staggs from Wigan and the Romleys from Liverpool, The Arousers from Oxford, and everyones faves The Masonics who still gig regulary. 

• October 16, 2012 9:12 AM CDT
    • Snakeman 3 are good friends of ours and I'd highly recommend them! We're playing with them in November so it might be the same gig!

• October 16, 2012 9:10 AM CDT
    • Snakeman 3 are playing in November - they got back to me, so am gonna check it out...I've now got a TON to get on with - thanks a lot guys!

• October 16, 2012 3:49 PM CDT
    • Someone just posted RIP re BB Cunningham on one of the YouTube Uploads for "Electrode" -- playing it now.

And Fuzzmeister -- if I recall, the Australian gov't has upped the retirement age for pension eligibility... Wonder what will happen in the US if there is a change of gov't.

Your point re age and work is well-taken. Then again, if we supported our musical legends properly they might not have to do anything but the work they love and are meant to do.

Thanks for the food for thought. Mel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2ye-pBipf8

Fuzzmeister said:

Is this the same BB Cunnigham that did the instro "Electrode"?

In any case, sad that anyone still has to work at 70, no matter what kinda job.

My old band Arctic Circles used to do Let it All Hang Out live, as I'm sure many other bands did and no doubt still do. A classic.

RIP

• October 16, 2012 3:34 PM CDT
    • Is this the same BB Cunnigham that did the instro "Electrode"?

In any case, sad that anyone still has to work at 70, no matter what kinda job.

My old band Arctic Circles used to do Let it All Hang Out live, as I'm sure many other bands did and no doubt still do. A classic.

RIP

• October 15, 2012 6:11 PM CDT
    • IT MAKES ME FUCKING SICK , MAN.   BTW , CUNNINGHAM WAS STILL JERRY LEE'S BASSIST AS OF LATE LAST YEAR WHEN I LAST SAW JERRY LEE , AND , NO DOUBT , HAD'NT RETIRED , BUT NEEDED A DEMEANING AND DANGEROUS SHIT JOB LIKE THIS TO PAY THE BILLS. I SAW B.B. DO A SOLO SHOW WITH JAMES BURTON ON GUITAR AT THE PONDEROSA STOMP. IT WAS GREAT. OF COURSE , HE DID "LET IT ALL HANG OUT" (DR. IRA MADE HIM DO IT TWICE !), AND HIS EARLIER ROCKER "BANDSTAND ROCK". HE BROUGHT SO MUCH TO JLL'S BACKING BAND. THE KILLER ALWAYS HAD FINE GUITARISTS LIKE KENNY LOVELACE AND JAMES BURTON IN HIS BACKING BANDS , BUT , USUALLY , CLUELESS BASSISTS AND DRUMMERS , WHENEVER I'VE SEEN HIM IN THE PAST 25 - PLUS YEARS. THAT SHIT STOPPED WHEN B.B. ENTERRED THE PICTURE. CUNNINGHAM MAY NOT BE HELD IN AS HIGH REGARD AS DONALD "DUCK" DUNN  IN MEMPHIS , BUT , HE WAS WELL RESPECTED , AND JUST DESERVED BETTER.

• October 16, 2012 1:41 PM CDT
    • You'd swear he owned K-Tel , too , he was on ALL those records. But "I'm a Train" is one of my favorites.

• October 16, 2012 12:34 PM CDT
    • Albert Hammond ~
       "I Don't Wanna Die in an Air Disaster" — US 0 (1974)
       "I'm a Train" — US 31 (1974)

Albert Louis Hammond OBE (born 18 May 1944) is an English singer, songwriter and record producer from Gibraltar.

• October 16, 2012 12:27 PM CDT
    • Burt F. Bacharach (May 12, 1928) ~ Trains and boats and planes

Billy J Kramer & The Dakotas ~ Trains And Boats And Planes

The British Invasion was a phenomenon that occurred in the mid 1960s when a group of rock and pop music acts from the United Kingdom, as well as other aspects of British culture, became popular in the United States.

• October 15, 2012 7:42 PM CDT
    • Chuck Berry's greatest vehicle song , and one of his best songs , period , barring possibly "Maybelline" , was "Downbound Train".The original "SS396" was released (Twice) as a promotional 45 by Paul Revere and The Raiders. It's been comped a couple of times on Raiders collections , and even on the first "Mexican Rumble: Psych- Out South of The Border" (!!). 'Night Train" was always believed to be about a train , but , maybe also about that FINE beverage (Buy it by the bottle , puke it by the roadside.), if only as an in - joke . When James Brown got around to doing a vocal version (The first?) , he rattled off all the train's destinations ("Miami , Florida, Atlanta , Georgia !)...... 

• October 15, 2012 8:15 PM CDT
    • That must have been unbelievable. The 2nd time The Pretty Things Yardbirds Blues Band played here in Chicago , there were only about 40 people in attendance. The upside of that was , I got to visit with Dick Taylor at length. He's a sweetheart. Spoke to him briefly at The House of Blues , too , while a bouncer , not quite secure in his masculinity at all , was shouting at me to leave , even while I WAS leaving.

• October 15, 2012 7:32 PM CDT
    • . If you like the bands you mentioned....maybe I'm dead wrong , but , I saw God Bullies once , and they sounded a lot like The Birthday Party to me. I started listening to The Jazz Butcher again , recently. They were all over the place . Loosely associated with the whole Garage/Trash /Psychobilly thing , as was some of the Goth and Gloom MUSIC HAPPENING AT THE TIME. Lindsay Hutton told me "The Cure , The Cramps and Siouxsie have NOTHING in common except that maybe they all use a lot of hairspray !".....You might want to check out the Blood on The Cats (LP and Video) and Revenge of The Killer Pussies" (LP) comps if you have'nt already. Bone Orchard and Inca Babies appear on 'em , as well as The Stingrays , Vibes , Milkshakes , Screaming Lord Sutch , Sharks ,  Even Shockabilly. NO ONE sounds like The Cramps , but , they influenced so many other bands. Deja Voodoo , admittedly ,  sound like a Cramps bootleg. That's GOOD. In more recent years , The Dyes wear their influence like a badge. 3-D Invisibles are'nt really Crampesque , but , they're some of the best modern Horror/Novelty Punk Rock.

• October 15, 2012 7:14 PM CDT
    • I was at a loss to mention anything that is NOT The Everly Bros. , but , that does'nt mean I don't have other favorite duets or vocal duos.

blahblehblahbleh said:

all everly brothers all the time..its not very sexy or crazy but that two part close harmony is pretty interesting

• October 15, 2012 6:30 PM CDT
    • "Year One " by X . Did for "No Trespassing"by The Ventures what The Cramps did for so many other instros. "I'm Coming Over " must be 1:30 or less , too.