Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• September 19, 2012 3:58 PM CDT
    • Experience has proved there isn’t a dead set rule when it comes billing order.  The attendance usually varies depending on the situation. 

The way I like to work out of town gigs is:

If I have been invited by a band/promoter to play on a bill I will request a supporting slot when planning the gig to avoid any uncomfortable or surprising situations.  Gas isn’t getting any cheaper and, in my case, Canadian cities are generally 3-6 hours apart at best.  So, if I am unfamiliar with the history of the promoter/bands involved, I like to research the likelihood the event will reach a satisfactory attendance (subjective of course).  If the other bands on the bill are generally unknown, I usually reference the number of people that clicked ‘going’ on their previous Facebook invites.  No guarantees, but it’s a useful reference.  It’s also good to check if they’ve received any internet media attention.

I only really agree to close out of town shows if there is a bit of hype behind my band coming to play, or the event is reputable, or the promoter is offering a guarantee. If you don’t know the promoter or someone that has previously worked with him/her, get the fee in advance.

Basically, there is nothing more to be had by playing a poorly attended out of town gig as there is an empty room on your home turf.

• September 19, 2012 12:21 PM CDT
    • I didn't think that was harsh and you make some good points. Your post did change my mind a little in the sense that I shouldn't have any expectations and just control the one thing we can control which is making sure we're ready for the show. I also love your point about making a band sorry they put you on first by out-playing them. I always feel a sense of friendly competition at shows to help get myself motivated to play the best I can so I should just extend that to the times where we get the crappy spot in the lineup and use it as motivation rather than let it bother me so thanks for that!

• September 19, 2012 12:03 PM CDT
    • its kind of a slippery slope on this topic. i've been in both situations. and while it’s nice as a touring band to have a prime spot, if my band has never played the town or club and it’s a smaller market city chances are I am just happy to have a show booked. As a smaller /less known group in whatever area you playing you can’t expect to have a good spot on the line up, so the rule your talking about is more of courtesy, then a rule. Whenever I go out of town to play shows, I’m always just happy to play and never worry about anything other than playing a good show.

Personally I would rather play first and be hard to follow by the rest of the acts then sit through the whole show waiting my turn.  Most of the time first band loads right on to the stage and as an out of town band touring sometimes it nice to have the opportunity to fully set up gear right and not be rushed by the later time slots.  Also comes down to just getting paid. If that’s taken care of that’s really all that should matter for the out of town band.

On the flip side, my band plays with a lot touring bands (we are in a big market city: SF, so everybody comes here) so depending on the booker/venue or what not we always try make it a good show and everyone always gets paid.  My big issue about “touring band/prime spot rule” is that; when we play local in our home town we bust ass to make it a good show, promotion fliering, getting people to show up what not. So in a few instances it kind of rubs me the wrong way when a less known touring band gets a primo spot and my band gets stuck either playing to early or really late especially on week night. Just because you drove 500 miles shouldn’t earn you any special privileges. I think bands should get in the mindset of it’s more about putting a good show for the people that show up to support local music, not the bands ego’s because they think they deserve it because they drove 6 hours to play a show.  Maybe your band is a better in the opening slot then later on in the night? Or visa-versa? Work that shit out with the booker and make the best show possible for the people that come out.

Not meaning to sound harsh on any of this. just my two cents. 

• September 19, 2012 7:15 AM CDT
    • I was just curious about how other bands felt outside of my area. I recently finished up a mini-tour and I felt like on some nights the local band on the bill was trying to position themselves in the best spot but I didn't say anything since I wasn't sure if this was a known "rule".

Your example of a record release show is definitely an exception. That's your night to be the center of attention without a doubt.

What's your band called, Doc?

• September 18, 2012 4:56 PM CDT
    • The only time my band didn't offer the out-of-towners the last and prime slot will be when we have our record release party in a few weeks, but I think it's ok to be selfish when you're celebrating yourself. But then we won't take any money but pay the other bands.

Since no one of us is in it for the money, I guess it's fair that the band that spends the most money gets back the most money, and the band that has the most trouble arriving gets the most rewarding slot.

BTW, Ben, why are you asking?

• September 18, 2012 3:43 PM CDT
    • Exactly! You're in it for the fun of it but when it costs you a small fortune and someone is making a lot of money if kinda takes the fun out of it!

• September 18, 2012 3:41 PM CDT
    • I'm glad I'm not alone here! The last band I was in we would even give our cut of the door to the traveling band (which amounts to about a 1/2 tank of gas) but still,  knowing how expensive travel is and how much of a pain in the nutz it can be we felt it was the right thing to do. When you make $0-$80 a show you sure as hell aren't in it for the money anyway! :)

• September 18, 2012 3:36 PM CDT
    • Yeah, I agree though we've seen it work both ways! We played one gig where the rule was that it went in order of who travelled furthest which was good for us since we'd come about 500 miles! :)

• September 18, 2012 3:31 PM CDT
    • That makes sense. Either the out-of-town band gets the middle slot or the last slot, depending on the band's pull (and who else is on the bill). If most of the people coming are there to see one of the local support bands, then that band should play last, otherwise you'll have a mass exodus right before the out-of-town band goes on stage. So the theory is you let the out-of-town band play right before the local with the most pull, thereby ensuring that you have a big audience for them.

• September 18, 2012 3:09 PM CDT
    • I thought the rule was that the out of town band gets a decent spot in the lineup. For example if there's 3 bands that night, shouldn't the out of town band get the middle spot? Maybe I'm expecting too much but I thought this was just common curtsey among bands. Thoughts?

• September 19, 2012 3:54 PM CDT
    • very cool. I think if you put a clear enclosure over the disc and made the switch into a footswitch youd make this a lot more practical.

• September 19, 2012 1:54 PM CDT
    • I thought some of ya might find this interesting. It's a primitive tremelo using interchangable discs. Certainly no hearty enough for gigging, but could be fun in the studio.

• September 19, 2012 2:34 PM CDT
    • The Slits, Au Pairs

• September 19, 2012 3:31 AM CDT
    • This beauty's coming in the mail fast...................

• September 18, 2012 9:05 PM CDT
    • Kopper--no really, Thank YOU.

Gentleman John Battles--Howdy!, and thanks.

Thanks everybody--I appreciate it more than you know.

• September 18, 2012 7:46 PM CDT
    • I'm with you ,Andy. You should be just as able to tour with a competing version of The Devil Dogs , but you've made it clear you would'nt do that.  I met you several years ago when you were in Chicago with The Roller Kings. So......."Hey".

Dammitdave : I know what you mean about From The Jam , but , they are (Or were , when I saw them.) a three piece , Foxton , Buckler and a younger guy who had more than one person saying "Paul WHO?''. I WISH I COULD HAVE SEEN THE JAM , THEN , AND I ONLY MISSED THEM BY A COUPLE OF MONTHS , BEFORE THEY BROKE UP , IN THE MIDDLE OF A  U.S. AND CANADIAN TOUR.  BUT , WELLER , TODAY , I'VE GOT NO INTEREST IN HIM ......

IT WAS A BIZARRE PREMISE , TO SAY THE LEAST , BUT , THEY WERE'NT PRETENDING TO BE THE JAM , AND THEY SOUNDED GREAT.    IT'D BE JUST AS WELL IF THEY CALLED IT "BRUCE FOXTON'S JAM" , ESPECIALLY NOW , AS HE'S THE ONLY REMAINING ORIGINAL MEMBER.

• September 18, 2012 5:26 PM CDT
    • Reminds me of Wellerless Jam (From Wikipedia):

"In February 2007, Foxton and Buckler announced they would be touring again as From The Jam, with members of Buckler's Jam tribute band The Gift."

• September 18, 2012 2:34 PM CDT
    • Official or not The Devil Dogs are one of my favorite bands of all time.

• September 18, 2012 8:55 PM CDT
    • The September 16 show is up!  Listen here: http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20120916-0030-t1347751800.mp3 The setlist: Sandro Brugnolini:     Megattera ...
      Hipster Image:     Make Her Mine Gert Wilden:     Murder Beat Sandro Brugnolini:     Marsuino The State of Micky and Tommy:     Nobody knows where you've been The Browns:     The Old Lamplighter Richard Berry: Have Love Will Travel Geno Washington: You Got Me Hummin' Big Daddy Oliver: Sapphire Dr. Feelgood: Boom Boom Hal Paige and the Whalers: Thunderbird Gene Maltais: Gang War The Incredible Staggers: Little Latin Luppi Lu The Unquiet Dead:     Lord loves a workin' man Leadbelly:     In New Orleans The Paul Butterfield Blues Band:     Shake your money-maker The Warlocks:     Hurricane heart attack The Tiki Tones:     Typhoon twist Charles Sheffield: It's Your Voodoo Working King Solomon: Separation The Leather Boy: On the Go Ike and Tina Turner: Contact High The Contours: First I Look At the Purse Andre Williams and the Eldorados: Daddy Rolling Stone Tic and Toc: Jibba Jabba
      See more

• September 18, 2012 8:32 PM CDT
    • This week's show featured music from New York Dolls, Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers, Jerry Nolan, Cold Warps, The Black Angels, Wire and more!

Download/listen to the podcast here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20120918-1030-t1347960600.mp3

Check out this week's blog post on Jerry Nolan:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2012/09/jerry-nolan-take-chance-with-me-show-422.html

This Week's Play List:

1.  Cold Warps – Endless Bummer
      2.  Thee Oh Sees – Wax Face
      3.  The Mark Inside – Lime Green Monkeys
      4.  Eric's Trip - Unnoticed
      6.  The Vapids - Mikey Was A Punk
      7.  The Shades – New Clientelle
      8.  Active Dog – Fun While It Lasts
      9.  No Fun – Mindless Agreesion
      10. New York Dolls - Jet Boy
      11. New York Dolls - There Is Gonna Be A Showdown
      12. Ry Cooder – Kool-Aid
      13. The Black Angels – Black Grease
      14. Richard Hell & The Voidoids – The Kid With The Replaceable Head
      15. Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers - Take A Chance With Me (Demo)
      16. The Pack AD - Lights
      17. The Idols – You
      18. Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers – I Wanna Be Loved
      19. Destroyer - The Sublimation Hour
      20. Little Girls - Youth Tunes
      21. Wire - It's So Obvious
      22. Jerry Nolan – Take A Chance With Me
      23. Jerry Nolan – Pretty Baby

• September 18, 2012 6:11 PM CDT
    • Will do! Thank you for allowing me on here. Loving the site!

• September 18, 2012 3:50 PM CDT
    • I'm Ben, also a newbie here. I've liked Garage Rock for a while now, I just didn't know it! I got introduced to a bunch of great old school Garage bands via the Nuggets box sets from Rhino and my favorite has to be The Sonics. Also, every since I was a little kid (I'm 34 now) I've been obsessed with The Ramones. For the fist time ever I've started my own band (I was always in someone else's) called Toy Cannons, our style is all over the place but there is definitely a garage and pop-punk influence there. If you wanna check us out you can do so here:

• September 18, 2012 1:39 PM CDT
    • Living the dream!

• September 18, 2012 12:19 PM CDT
    • always thought Blood Circus was really good.