Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• September 22, 2012 3:30 AM CDT
    • Man, takes me back - at college in the late 80's and listened to hardcore punk and garage revival stuff mainly but with a fair smattering of british indie (or just indie as we called it in the UK) - Pop Will Eat Itself always a fave, plus the aformentioned Inspiral Carpets (Mad As Fuck), Stone Roses and loads of 'shoegaze' and 'dreampop' stuff (Cocteau Twins, Loop, Swervedriver). Don't really indulge too often now, but an important part of my musical history.

• September 21, 2012 6:00 PM CDT
    • Radio What Wave Playlist Sept 20/2012

Dave and Jaime of The Hook Up outside the CHRW doors.

On this show we had Dave and Jamie of The Hook Up, a soon to be Hamilton Ontario based garage/rock'n'roll/soul/surf/psych combo. They did a live to air on Radio WW back in the winter of 2011 and since there have been major changes in the band, it was time to get them back on Radio WW to yammer and play some tunes...

1. Nihilist Spasm Band...This Is A Test...great sound check from these local noise makers to wake everyone up and get the show on the road.

2. Burnin' Ethyl...Kittens With Lipstick...from the Rock'n'Roll Combustion CD from a few years back. Burnin' Ethyl will be at Call The Office tomorrow night as part of the Shakin' Katz Birthday Bash happenin' there.

3. The Black Frame Spectacle...A Line In The Sand...from the Grady Sessions CD and as above, they will be at CTO tomorrow night.

Black Frame Spectacle at London Music Club June 8/2011

4. Duke Sedan and The Hightones...Real Cool Daddy...from their self titled CD from 2008. The Hightones have moved from the rockabilly sound heard here to more of a swing oriented sound.

5. Blue Cheer...Summertime Blues...from the Vincebus Eruptum LP and a request of the singer from 44i as they are also playing tomorrow as part of the birthday bash.

6. The Hook Up...Skin and Bone...recorded at Grooves Sept 8/2012.

The Hook Up at Grooves....Sept 8/2012

7. The Hook Up...Nerves....as above.

8. The Hook Up...Burnin'...from the soon to be released Call Up The Devil CD.

9. The Hook Up...List Of Diagrams...as above.

10. 5 Royales...Summer The Slum...from a Charly compilation that Dave Hook Up brought in.

11. Detroit Cobras...Summer The Slum...from the SFTRI LP, Mink Rat Or Rabbit...30 or so years later and the same song.

12. Tom Jones...Evil...from a 3rd Man 7".

13. Spencer Davis Group...I'm A Man...from a 7" and goes out to The Reply from Toronto.

14. Bo Diddly...I'm A Man...from a 7"

15. Jerry Lee Lewis...Matchbox...from the Live At The Star Club CD that Dave borrowed from the London Public Library!

Jerry Lee Lewis, London Ontario Aug 16/1988. Think this picture was in What Wave...

16. John Lee Hooker...The Motor City Is Burnin'....from a CD that Dave brought in...

17. T Valentine...Teenage Jump..from a crazy R&B CD compilation that Dave brought in...wish i could remember the name of it.

18. The Hook Up...Minstrel Man...from the Garagepunk Hideout Compilation, Noises From The Hideout.

19. Eliza And The Strange...Crack...from their self titled debut LP. This band is now called Bloody Diamonds and will be live to air next week on Radio WW. Then they play later on that evening at The Black Shire Pub.

20. Eliza And The Strange...Disease...as above.

21. Radio Birdman...Do The Pop....from the Radios Appear LP. Guitarist Chris Masuak will be at Call The Office on Friday Sept 28th, a show you can't miss!

Here's the link to the archived show:

http://www.chrwradio.ca/

Big thanx to Jaime and Dave of The Hook Up for dropping by to spin some platters and do some yammering about music. And as we found out, Dave and i were at some of the same shows over the years, long before we knew each other!

And next week we have our live to air with Bloody Diamonds, coming all the way from Halifax to play for you, the listener!

https://www.facebook.com/events/465609426803039/

• September 21, 2012 5:20 PM CDT
    • I know at least one New Mexico state legislator who subscribes to The Big Enchilada.

• September 21, 2012 4:03 PM CDT
    • I won't be happy until Gabe Kaplan reveals himself.

• September 21, 2012 4:03 PM CDT
    • You're right. I'm actually John Goodman in disguise. ;)

• September 21, 2012 3:50 PM CDT
    • How could there not be?  The podcasts are simply the best collection of music around.  Surely this place has top hollywood movie stars in disguise, big time music producers in ninja masks, long-term, household name rockers subscribing to feeds.  When I think of all the podcasts, the ones coming out now, and those of old (miss you Alex Piandes) it is obvious this is the place to be.  If Joe Strummer was around you know he would be kicking about.  Wish I had a reveal button to see who is all here.

• September 21, 2012 4:11 PM CDT
    • Show #390: "The Eggman Collection #124"

NOTE: Due to an illness in my family which has me a little distracted at the moment, plus working 50-plus hours a week, I will be doing only Eggman Collection specials in the next couple of months until things slow down in the fall. I'm calling it "The Back-To-Back Eggman Collection End Of Summer Super Spectacular Extravaganza!"
      The Eggman Collection is basically a big potpourri of every song I've ever liked in my life...EVER! It's literally a huge mixing bowl full of songs written onto tiny pieces of paper. Over 15,000 songs that I've been compiling for the past 20-plus years of my life. Every song I've ever liked has gone into this bowl, and every three weeks I draw them out one-by-one and play them for you in no particular order. A mix of everything and anything I like, no matter what genre, era, style or year of release...if I like it, then I'll play it! No repeats of the same song ever! Tune in tonight (Friday) at 10pm EST for the 124th installment of The Eggman Collection and hear bands and artists like: Yes, The Spencer Davis Group, The Byrds, Aum, Santo & Johnny, The Moody Blues, Zior, The Syn, The Monkees, Procol Harum, The Who, Portebello Explosion, Steeleye Span, Black Sabbath, The Kinks, Peter Hammill, Mops, The Easybeats, David Hemmings, Yatha Sidra, and many others!!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show by "liking it" on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• September 21, 2012 6:18 AM CDT
    • I listened to Alice Cooper when I was 11 years old.

• September 21, 2012 5:00 AM CDT
    • I just read this book, and I liked it. Even in his own words Johnny Ramone appears to be quite an asshole, but I still can't help but like him somehow. Also, it's interesting to hear the Ramones story in Johnny's words.

• September 20, 2012 9:17 PM CDT
    • .....SAY WOOMAN !!!!!   Nobody ever accused Bo of having the most enlightened views on women , but , he incorporated women in his bands , and not just as backing singers , long before it was even regarded as acceptable to the masses who were asses.

The Duchess was followed by Lady Bo , Cookie and others. He had a female Bass PLAYER IN HIS REGULAR BAND (When he was'nt using pickup bands.) for about 20 years.....

• September 20, 2012 3:11 PM CDT
    • The Duchess

• September 20, 2012 8:17 PM CDT
    • ONE OF MY FAVORITE VERSIONS OF "GHOST RIDERS IN THE SKY" WAS BY RONNIE PROPHET , ECHOPLEX OVERKILL.....A MEXICAN BAND , I THINK , LOS BABYS, DID A SIMILAR VERSION. MUY PSICODELICO.

• September 20, 2012 4:30 PM CDT
    • I made one...it was a fun little project. Fine for home use...not even close to being practical on stage. 

I do build a pretty sweet tremolo myself though.... check it ;)

http://elreyfx.com/html/chicago.html

• September 20, 2012 3:00 PM CDT
    • The Troggs are considered , by many , to be the only true Garage Punk band Britain produced in The 60's. I had the pleasure of telling them,  once , that there are many of us who would like to adopt them as an American band. Of course , they were thrown back "WOT?! What's this, then?!". Sadly that'll never happen , and it does'nt look like Reg will ever menace the stage again. I HOPE I'm wrong , but , there's been no further info that I could find , since his diagnosis of Lung Cancer about a year ago.

swt said:

I'm friends with Gregg Turner, former Angry Samoan. He told me years ago that The Troggs was one of his first big influences. I've heard him do a real nice "Love is All Around."

Rosa said:
      recently a young employee of the hip local record store asked me to get him up to speed with 60s garage (he's a local big honcho in the grindcore scene) - i have to say i was pretty taken aback - what a nice compliment! well since he has all the records he wants at his disposal, i told him to start with this: the troggs.

now he's got the fever and we email back and forth on a daily basis. just today he sent an frantic note, incredulous that i hadn't told him about "99th floor" by the moving sidewalks (we are in zz top country, afterall). of course i apologized profusely! ha!

• September 20, 2012 2:54 PM CDT
    • ....As performed by Lithium Xmas ...."Where are the children? The bible records have arrived !"

Seriously , tho, Nilsson's "Son of Dracula " has a great scene in a pub (Of course) with Harry singing "Jump Into The Fire" with Keith Moon , John Bonham , Peter Framptom (Before he came alive.)and probably some others.

sleazy said:

hARRY nILSSON'S jUMP iNTO tHE fIRE

• September 20, 2012 2:49 PM CDT
    • HMMMM.....How did he know that I am The Gentleman?   Just because I put the toilet seat down when I'm at a lady's house?.....and then I piss all over it ?

Cascarita said:

Kopper--no really, Thank YOU.

Gentleman John Battles--Howdy!, and thanks.

Thanks everybody--I appreciate it more than you know.

• September 20, 2012 10:17 AM CDT
    • Wow ... that's just wrong.

• September 20, 2012 3:55 AM CDT
    • As Tony Orlando (and the Devil Dogs) would say, "Bless You."

Fuck the Phony Dogs

• September 20, 2012 10:21 AM CDT
    • Thanks Larry!

Scary Larry said:

done!

• September 20, 2012 7:55 AM CDT
    • Sounds cool. And on the topic of the Velvet Underground, I just saw that Sundazed Music is releasing a 5-LP box set that looks pretty sweet:

Sundazed October 2012 New Releases
      Street Date October 30, 2012 
      --------------------------------
      THE VELVET UNDERGROUND 5-LP DELUXE BOX SET

Artist: THE VELVET UNDERGROUND
      Title: The Verve / MGM Albums
      VU 4003 - 090771400314 -  5-LP DELUXE BOX SET

THIS IS A BOX OF ESSENTIAL ROCK & ROLL HISTORY.

At a time when the Rolling Stones were forbidden from singing about spending the night together on national television, the Velvet Underground was crafting songs about such taboo subjects as illegal drugs, sadomasochism and black angels of death. And that was just on their debut. Throughout their first three albums, VU continued to challenge societal norms through their lyrics and rock music itself through their unorthodox instrumental approach. Their sound was theirs alone, which proved to be an obstacle when it came to sales. The majority of popular music fans simply weren’t ready for the bleakly beautiful vision of VU. But for those who were, this LP trilogy was a clarion call, drawing together the outsiders who felt disenfranchised and unfulfilled by Top Forty fodder. Like time release capsules, these LPs became catalysts for change as they spread from city to city and were consumed by adventurous listeners. Bands formed, scenes coalesced and new musical paths emerged which would eventually branch off into punk, alternative, indie and more. Take a sample from any underground music genre and you’re likely to find VU DNA pulsing through its core.

As the alternative scene grew, so did the legend of the Velvet Underground. However, with relatively few of the original LPs in circulation, finding them could be difficult and, as a result, more people had probably heard OF the band than had actually heard their music. The emergence of compact discs in the mid-80s, along with a groundswell of VU-influenced bands singing their praises, finally got their music into wider distribution. Yet, for vinyl enthusiasts who longed to place those precious albums on their turntables, that thrill remained elusive.

Until now. With tremendous pride, Sundazed presents The Velvet Underground: The Verve/MGM Albums. This beautiful, deluxe boxed set gathers the rare mono versions of the band’s first three studio albums along with the superior mono version of Nico’s Chelsea Girl and a definitive edition of the band’s unfinished fourth album! Sourced from the original Verve/MGM analog reels and mastered by Bob Irwin, this collection is an essential purchase for the discerning vinyl devotee. For all tomorrow’s parties, this is your soundtrack.

- The ultimate collection of underground rock’s big bang!
      - Includes the rare mono versions of the VU’s first three albums, the superior mono version of Nico’s Chelsea Girl (featuring Reed, Cale & - Morrison) and a definitive edition of the band’s unfinished fourth album!
      - Housed in a beautiful deluxe box with all original LP artwork along with two bonus poster inserts!
      - Introduction by Rolling Stone senior editor/MOJO contributor David Fricke.
      - Sourced from the original Verve/MGM analog reels and mastered by Bob Irwin.

• September 20, 2012 2:05 AM CDT
    • Bbq has a tambourine stuck with the beater of the kick drum. Each time he kicks the bass drum, the tambourine rings.

• September 19, 2012 9:20 PM CDT
    • Offically no ,Madd didn't but Casey an I reworked a song of long lost love that I penned as Falling Waters...no copyright of course.It became the first few stanzas of "Go Back" ...We sat at the Mill bar in Iowa City a short time before Casey Fautz's demise and hummed and laughed about my lame lyrics.Without Crabby Appleton this short tune would have fallen into obscurity.

CRAIG MOORE said:

MADD didn't make a record, to the best of my knowledge they never wrote a song, but they were the ultimate garage cover band. SO good, they knocked us out totally. We were still beginner's in the Pagans. I don't think we had met Rex & Brent yet when we first saw MADD, and I had only been playing bass for a couple of months. Barry the bass player looked like McCartney & played a Gibson EB-1 violin shaped bass left handed. He was amazing as were all of them. I asked him how long it was going to take me to get a handle on bass and he told me "oh about 6 months and you'll start to get it, start to 'hear' things." We were practing & learning songs and listening to records 24/7 of course, and I literally watched the calendar and at that 6 month mark 'viola!' I started hearing octaves and such on the records, started to decipher the 1 from a harmonic note, etc. Still had a LONG way to go but that remark was magic. MADD did "Rain" letter perfect when it was NEW, at a time when most bands could only listen in awe to the record. The organist was Casey Foutz who eventually left Ottumwa with Phil Jones (Enoch Smoky) and were founding members in LA of Crabby Appleton, "Go Back" etc. MADD evolved into THE UPSTAIRS PLAYGROUND in 1968 and got very very psychedelic, California acid drenched, guitarist Mike Sexton was beyond fabulous as a guitarist & vocalist, last time I saw him was 1968 or 1969 and he looked exactly like a taller version of Dickie Peterson (Blue Cheer). He's either a highly paid session musician with a huge ranch in Montana, a rocket scientist, born again, or dead. I have no idea. David Bernstein the drummer was one of the greatest unknown shit kickers you could imagine. We did LSD together once, I think David got a little wierded out by that scene. I heard some vague rumblings about him in the early 70's but never knew where he ended up. I hope he's fine and I hope he never lost his love of music, he was great. But MADD's bass player had a huge impact on me personally, and the band was idolized thoroughly by The Pagans and GONN, and in fact they inspired both the spelling of our name AND the fact that we adamantly enforced the "no 'THE'" rule, as did MADD. The fact that we had our own hearse was as close as we could get to being as cool as MADD, in our minds. Until we made a record, anyway.  I saw this hearse ad about 6 months or so ago and sent it out to Phil Jones just as a reminder of the good old days back here in the midwest.  I saw Casey back in Ottumwa about 1983 when my band Ready Steady Go was playing a club there. He had been playing with Pacific Gas & Electric in LA and had a heart attack, moved back to the home town to recuperate and get his head together. It was great to see him, he always reminded me of Gene Clark, but he seemed pretty down and not very happy. I was pleased that he remembered me and the band and all the times we hung out with them. Not too long after that I heard he had another heart attack and died. Very sad. So all you fans of records by GONN, you need to say a 'hail Mary' for Casey and never forget there was a band called MADD that maybe didn't make a record but their impact is with you still, every time you hear GONN or hear another story of the Iowa scene 1965-1968. There were the ultimate Iowa garage band.