Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• September 28, 2012 5:16 PM CDT
    • Like most of you, it was a relative that got me into punk. I had a cousin Stacey who went to London for the summer in 1988. I was just leaving 6th Grade and going into the 7th when she came to live with our family for a bit. 

She returned from London with long purple braids, a leather jacket, and some records. She made me tapes of some Clash and Sex Pistols, but a few months later when she gave me some tapes of the Misfits, The Circle Jerks, and Black Flag, did it really sink in. 

Despite getting mocked remorselessly through junior high and high school I always felt punk spoke for me and as a teen going to tens of dozens of shows in Providence I felt that the kids I met were more family than not. I owe all of my interests to the punk scene. 

• September 28, 2012 3:21 PM CDT
    • I blame the Ramones. I was mostly into metal and it's various subgenres and I liked some of the hardcore I was exposed to but never gave punk any thought until I saw the video for Psychotherapy. So yeah, Psychotherapy really does work.

• September 28, 2012 1:21 PM CDT
    • I was ambushed in my room by a sweaty guy and his friends.

• September 28, 2012 4:34 PM CDT
    • This is cool, but i thought the thread was going to be the Columbus, Ohio band Boys From Nowhere, haha.  Lots of great songs, tho getting a bit more metallic by the end- tho even that stuff's still raging.  

My fave Boston band release is Nervous Eaters 'Eaterville Vol. 1' - i wonder if, when, and how good a volume two would be.

• September 28, 2012 3:45 PM CDT
    • Show #391: "The Eggman Collection #125"

NOTE: Due to an illness in my family which has me a little distracted at the moment, plus working 50-plus hours a week, I will be doing only Eggman Collection specials in the next couple of months until things slow down in the fall. I'm calling it "The Back-To-Back Eggman Collection End Of Summer Super Spectacular Extravaganza!"
      The Eggman Collection is basically a big potpourri of every song I've ever liked in my life...EVER! It's literally a huge mixing bowl full of songs written onto tiny pieces of paper. Over 15,000 songs that I've been compiling for the past 20-plus years of my life. Every song I've ever liked has gone into this bowl, and every three weeks I draw them out one-by-one and play them for you in no particular order. A mix of everything and anything I like, no matter what genre, era, style or year of release...if I like it, then I'll play it! No repeats of the same song ever! Tune in tonight (Friday) at 10pm EST for the 125th installment of The Eggman Collection and hear bands and artists like: Picchio Dal Pozzo, Rare Bird, Blue Ash, Andromeda, Zoot, Love, Bobb Trimble, Tucky Buzzard, Strawbs, Black Sabbath, The Bonzo Dog Band, Dantalian's Chariot, The Beatles, The Tremeloes, Synanthesia, Battiato, The Koala, We The People, The Harbinger Complex, Aorta, and many others!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show by "liking it" on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• September 28, 2012 3:10 PM CDT
    • Will there be a digital release available of the 45 as well?

• September 28, 2012 3:05 PM CDT
    • I just posted some pictures from last night's Prima Donna gig, and now I'm awaiting approval for them.  BTW, you will notice the pictures are black and white; that was my mistake.  I use those throwaway cameras, and apparently I grabbed one without checking to see if it had color film.  I'm a little pissed at myself for screwing up like that, but the pics do have kind of a cool retro look to them.

• September 27, 2012 1:31 PM CDT

• Mat's flat is where it's at.

John Battles said:

YES !!!!!!!!! GROOVE ON THAT MAT , DOWN AT MY FLAT ,WITH ALVIN STARDUST !!!!What's sad is , I have more Shane Fenton than Alvin material. GREAT PHOTOS AND PICTURE SLEEVES. MUD ROCKS ! Get those scarves a - flyin' !

CONGRATS TO MIKEL  - 250+ !!! 250+ !!! 250+!!!!

• September 28, 2012 3:05 PM CDT
    • Definitely Pagans over Dead Boys, easily.  Dead Boys only made one great LP, while Pagans have a few LPs worth of greatness.  Besides that, i'm not so into the production on their 1st LP, actually prefer the 'Younger, Louder, Snottier' LP version released later on Bomp.  That live set from CBs released on DVD years back is pretty hard to beat tho.  That's the kind of thing that could put them at the top of any list of greats, no question.  (pretty sure the whole thing is on youtube, check it if you haven't seen it)  

Mirrors and eels (w/ a nice side dish of Styrenes w/ whom they shared members) over everyone tho.  

Here's an interview i did w/ Morton in MRR last year http://www.violet-times.com/2011/06/i-interviewed-john-morton-in-maximum.html w/ links there to read more about electric eels as well.  Do yourself a favor, esp if ya don't know about 'em. 

Also at the top of that page you can click to the purchase page for Poli Styrene Jass Band (aka: Styrenes) 'Drano In Your Veins' 45 reissue that we did awhile back if you're interested in 1975 pre- punk, proto- punk, baseball bat in the face lysergic madness, a bonafide classic.  Less than 20 copies remain.

Not punk, more rock n roll / soft psych, but i actually just put on Stone Harbour 'Emerges' LP right before i saw this thread/group.  Nearby town of Cleveland- Youngstown, OH 1974.

Also surprised no one mentioned Peter Laughner in here?  Maybe i missed it, and again, not so much "punk" sounding overall but his 1 million (and counting, as more are found) unreleased recordings (and the few released thus far) have many choice cuts.  He was a driving force in tying to make that a "scene", or at least promoting his own music, and by default taking those other wild sounding bands to the top along w/ himself.    

I also enjoy the fact that The Cramps, Pagans, and electric eels are all related by blood- that's some kind of royal bloodline there!

• September 28, 2012 2:16 PM CDT
    • As much as I enjoy the Dance Party, it can be difficult to keep up to date with a 3 hour show what with all the other podcasts and cd's etc to get through. I think one of the things I loved about RnR Suicide was it's length, much more digestable as an hour.

May I suggest a RnR Suicide show, say, once every six months? Kind of a best of the Dance Party type deal? Wishful thinking I know, but either way keep doing what you're doing Fink, your dedication and hard work to bring us so many hot rockin' sounds is much appreciated.

• September 28, 2012 2:09 PM CDT
    • "48 Crash" is Suzi Quatro's third solo single and was released after "Can the Can".

• September 28, 2012 11:03 AM CDT
    • There are endless awesome female fronted and all girl groups out there! some of my faves are The Pandoras, The Brentwoods, first Donnas LP, Pleasure Seekers, Lulu's Marble, first 2 Vivian Girls LPs, and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QOWbQNeyv8

• September 28, 2012 9:01 AM CDT
    • RonettesShangrila'sWanda Jackson Betty Mc QuadeEtta James Irma Thomas Bobbie Gentry Pleasure Seekers The Cramps Gore Gore Girls Little Esther Demolition Doll Rods so many but not The Runaways (beurk) Gotta love 'em all, lets' talk about gurls!

• September 28, 2012 2:05 AM CDT
    • I haven't read the entire thread, so maybe others have mentioned this, but this here Hideout has lots of lovely lady rockers in bands like:

LoveStruck

Persian Claws

The Manxx

Horror Deluxe

just to name a few

• September 28, 2012 1:51 PM CDT
    • The Tubes' first self-titled album The Tubes (1975) was produced by Al Kooper. The track "White Punks on Dope" was an "absurd anthem of wretched excess" (...)San Francisco. Since then the song has been covered by Mötley Crüe, and the German rock musician Nina Hagen took the tune and set new lyrics to it (not a translation of the original lyrics), titled her work TV-Glotzer ("Couch Potato"), and used this song as the opening track of her own debut album Nina Hagen Band, released 1978 on CBS/Germany Records.

Chris Henniker said:

That's Hagen's version of "White Punks on Dope", wasn't it?

Erik Johannes Matze said:

Ich glotz TV.

Chris Henniker said:

I used to like The Violets, whom I was actually quite friendly with when I wrote for a local magazine in London.

I like Throbbing Gristle (Genesis P. Orridge is a great storyteller) , Suicide, some Cabaret Voltaire, Joy Division, Pere Ubu, Siouxie and The Banshees, Wire, The Smiths, JAMC, The Jam, The Birthday Party (Hell, any Nick Cave), The Fall, Patife (from Sao Paulo, Brazil), The mod revival, Nina Hagen. "Post punk" is such a nebulous term as to encompass anything from Industrial artists like TG and Whitehouse to Mod revivalists like The Jam, indie pop like Cub or The Primitives, Noise rock, the Gothic rock of Nick Cave or Joy Division and anarcho bands like Crass or Icons of Filth.  It's so big that it could take years to reccomend a representative cross section.

Any Nina Hagen fans on here? 

• September 27, 2012 1:36 PM CDT
    • That's Hagen's version of "White Punks on Dope", wasn't it?

Erik Johannes Matze said:

Ich glotz TV.

Chris Henniker said:

I used to like The Violets, whom I was actually quite friendly with when I wrote for a local magazine in London.

I like Throbbing Gristle (Genesis P. Orridge is a great storyteller) , Suicide, some Cabaret Voltaire, Joy Division, Pere Ubu, Siouxie and The Banshees, Wire, The Smiths, JAMC, The Jam, The Birthday Party (Hell, any Nick Cave), The Fall, Patife (from Sao Paulo, Brazil), The mod revival, Nina Hagen. "Post punk" is such a nebulous term as to encompass anything from Industrial artists like TG and Whitehouse to Mod revivalists like The Jam, indie pop like Cub or The Primitives, Noise rock, the Gothic rock of Nick Cave or Joy Division and anarcho bands like Crass or Icons of Filth.  It's so big that it could take years to reccomend a representative cross section.

• September 27, 2012 1:06 PM CDT
    • Ich glotz TV.

Chris Henniker said:

• September 27, 2012 12:47 PM CDT
    • I used to like The Violets, whom I was actually quite friendly with when I wrote for a local magazine in London.

• September 28, 2012 1:35 PM CDT
    • ▌▐▐

Louie louie The Hermosa Beach, California hardcore punk band Black Flag released a cover version of "Louie Louie" as a single in 1981 through Posh Boy Records. It was the band's first release with Dez Cadena as singer, replacing Ron Reyes who had left the group the previous year. Cadena would go on to sing on the Six Pack EP before switching to rhythm guitar and being replaced on vocals by Henry Rollins.

• September 28, 2012 12:32 PM CDT
    • Radio What Wave Playlist....Sept 27 2012.

This was a special show as we had Bloody Diamonds in for a live to air. Bloody Diamonds are from Halifax, Nova Scotia, on the east coast of Canada on the Atlantic. London Ontario was one of their many tour stops and we got them for a double shot as they played onair and then put on a great show at The Black Shire Pub later that eve.

1. The Hook Up...List Of Diagrams...from their soon to be release CD, Call Up The Devil. We had The Hook Up on last week's show yammering about this CD and lots of other stuff.

2. Radio Birdman...More Fun...from the Living Eyes LP, 1978. Guitarist Chris Masuak is in sleepy London Ontario tonite to preach the rock'n'roll to us sinnners!!

3. Radio Birdman...Murder City Nights...from the Radios Appear LP...as above!!

4. New Christs...Born Out Of Time...from the Detritus 12"....possibly one of my all time fave songs!! This is boner material!!! Rob Younger is so fucking brutally honest on this one it slays me every time!!

5. Willie Alexander...Kerouac....from the Live at The Rat double LP from 1976. Willie should be in the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame as he's more than paid his dues since the mid 60's. He's played in many a Boston combo, spent time in the Velvet Underground and is still active to this day. This is one of those mellow songs that always gets stuck in my noggin' and i start doing  the sickly oooh oohhh out loud and get a lot of strange looks!

But the real reason i played this track, was as part of a tribute set to Sam Sniderman, founder of the record store chain, Sam The Record Man. A Canadian institute!! And one of the key figures  in helping  to promote up and coming Canadian bands! I bought this record at Sam's here in sleepy London back in about 1979 and it blew my mind!! So many cool Boston combos and my first hearing of DMZ and The Real Kids who have gone on to become 2 of my fave combos!! Thanx for bringing this record into Canada Sam!

6. Tom Wilson and The Florida Razors...New York City..I vividly remember seeing The Florida Razors for the first time at a place called The Firehall here in sleepy London Ontario. They blew me away with their straight ahead rock'n'roll from The Flamin' Groovies school of rock!! Became an instant life time fan that night, and next day i happened to see this single up on the wall at Sam's in London and it was mine!!! Tom Wilson is now a Canadian institution with Blackie and The Rodeo Kings and his former combo, Junkhouse. Sometimes he spots us in the crowd and yells out What Wave!! Kind of embarrassing as we're pretty low profile people.

7. The Beatles...Revolution...This is the first single i ever bought at Sam's in downtown Toronto at the flagship store. My parents took my sister and i to downtown Toronto and somehow we ended up at Sam's. It was probably me bugging the shit out of them to go into Sam's. Bought (or maybe my parents did???) this single and Cream's Sunshine Of Your Love single from the wall at Sams...needless to say, i was in heaven!! Charting singles at Sam's were a bit cheaper than our local K Mart and went for 66 cents back then. And that was a LOT of money to me back in 1968!

8. Bloody Diamonds...Monster....Live over the airwaves at CHRW...then Jake goes and breaks a bass string part way through the song! This is live radio and we work with whatever happens!!

9. Oily Birds...Second Cousin...not the song i wanted to play, but a good one nonetheless. Recorded live at Jimmy Jazz in Guelph Ontario, 4/28/12. Oily Birds are opening up for Chris Masuak at Call The Office Tonite (with a capital T!).

10. The Kards...Cry Just A Little...from the Here's The Deal CD. The Kards are at London Music Club tomorrow night.

11. Blue Demons...Beatnik Bandit...from their latest 7" on Boppa Do Down Records outta Toronto.

12. Bloody Diamonds...She Ain't Pretty....live over the airwaves.

13. Bloody Diamonds...Bright Lights Darling...live over the airwaves.

14. Bloody Diamonds...Baby Don't Be Nice....live over the airwaves.

15. Bloody Diamonds...They've Got Secrets...live over the airwaves.

16. Bloody Diamonds...Lady Of The Night...from their LP They've Got Secrets.

17. Bloody Diamonds...Monopoly...live over the airwaves and the end of our live to air presentation. Huge thanx to Bloody Diamonds for stopping by, setting up and playing live to air. It's a massive undertaking as they've gotta find CHRW, unload all of their equipment and cart it up to the station, get set up in a tiny room and do countless sound checks so everything sounds great to you, the listener. And once they're done, they've gotta cartload all of their equipment back to the van and rush to do a soundcheck!!

And a HUGE thanx goes out to the guys behind the scenes, the sound engineers, Alex and Chris who make everything sound so nice over the airwaves!!!

18. Black Flag...6 Pack...from a 7" and to plug the Raymond Pettibon exhibition that opened that eve at McIntosh Gallery on the campus of Western University. For those interested, there's many many early Black Flag posters on display at the gallery.

19. The Ventures...Guitar Freakout...from the LP of the same name. Picked this one up way back in 1967 at our local K Mart and it still sounds good 45 years later!! That 60's vinyl was tough and took a lot of abuse from my tiny foldup record player back then! This goes out to Nokie Edwards who suffered a heart attack last week while on tour in Japan. All the best Nokie!! And he is a member of the Rock'n'Roll Hall Of Fame!

20. The Snails...Satisfaction Guaranteed...from their brand new self titled CD on Action Records outta Greece. We like Action Records as they put out our LP, Thee Cave Comes Alive..songs from the What Wave Fanzine tapes back in 2004.

21. Flying Squad...Godzilla...demo from the late 80's that just might appear on our next cassette coming out Oct 26th at the Graphic Underground London 1977 to 1990 exhibit. Had to cut this one short as Ryan In The Red was taking over the airwaves with his Freak Out!!

Back atcha next week with more noise that annoys. Huge thanx to Bloody Diamonds, and they put on a KILLER show at Black Shire that night!! I shoulda made a recording of that show...

Here's a link to the archived shows:

http://www.chrwradio.ca/audio/by/title/radio_what_wave

• September 28, 2012 12:31 PM CDT
    • I think the zoom H1 is perfect for a "homemade" record, if you want to record, just for fun or for keep regards!!!!!. Its like photograph!, you can buy a big professional camera and take the best pictures, or you can buy an amateur small camera and take pictures for your personal album.

It depends on want do you want to do with that record, if you want a professional record, the zoom h1 isnt your best option!!!!

• September 28, 2012 10:32 AM CDT
    • Hey Matt, you should post this in the Canada group too!!!

I've been digging Ugly Pop's Canuck late 70's/early 80's re-ishes lately...The Spys Machine Shop/Underground 7" is garagepunk ala late 70's/early 80's at its finest!! The Spys were from Windsor Ontario and way underappreciated in their time.

• September 27, 2012 5:45 PM CDT
    • Ugly Pop records, one of my favorite labels presently operating, have been at the top of their game as of late. They delve into an array of genres with a heavy leaning towards hardcore. This last batch of releases however, I thought would be of particular interest to all of you garage turkeys on here.

Bent Wind - Sacred Cows/ Castles Made Of Man Originally released on Trend records in 1969, Bent Wind were a psych band who hail from Toronto, ON. This was their first single as far as I can tell. The A side is an upbeat garage song with a catchy bluesy guitar riff. The B side is bit slower, a bit in the vain of an early Arthur Lee tune. Both are solid songs with kaleidoscopic lyrics and an authentic heaviness to them.  Their follow up LP entitled Sussex is scheduled to be reissued later this year on Ugly Pop.

A Passing Fancy - I'm Losing Tonight/ A Passing Fancy Debut single released on Columbia 1967, Were a Toronto primitive cave combo that seemed to enjoy moderate success in the late 60s. The A side on this one sounds like something that would easily fit in with the raw stompers from the Back From the Grave series, fast lose and frantic. Side B is their namesake song, a tear-jerker mid tempo melodic ditty. Double sided teen angst slab.

The Northwest Company - Hard To Cry/ Get Away From It All Coming from a Haney, British Columbia, a suburb outside of Vancouver. Originally released in 1967 on Grenadier records, this is a double sided garage punk screamer. A side, Hard To Cry is the more catchy of the two, with heavy distorted guitars and nice vocal harmonies, they seem to be Canada's answer to the Zakary Thaks. The B side is just as tuff and raw sounding with some really fantastic chord strumming.

These three records are what I feel would be most in line with the people who post and lurk in this corner of the world wide web, but like me, I imagine most of you are into many styles of music. The previous six records would be more up the Killed By Death crowd's alley. Also represses for Masters Apprentices (Undecided!) and In-Sect are in the works. Dig it! http://uglypop.bigcartel.com/

• September 28, 2012 7:05 AM CDT
    • Hello. I am running the copaseDisques label since 2004 and released bands like The Staggers, The Moving Sounds, The Giljoteens, Thee Wylde Oscars, The Flight Reaction, The Types, Les BOF! and many more (mostly vinyl, 7" and LP). We are distributed in europe via Cargo Records Germany but it is hard to get a good distro in US and UK. Is there somebody out there who can help??

• September 27, 2012 7:09 AM CDT
    • NMdT S14E01 .: Wasn't the Summer Short?
      http://nmdt.blogspot.com.es/2012/09/nmdt-s14e01-wasnt-summer-short.html

01. Saturday's Children. deck five [SG Dunwich 1966]
      02. Noel. hey yesterday where's my mind [SG Tower 1969]
      03. The Lewis and Clarke Expedition. blue revelations[SG Colgems 1967]
      04. Gordon. greensleeves [SG Uptown 1967]
      05. The Best Things. chicks are for kids [SG United Artists 1967]
      06. The Critters. no one but you [SG Prancer 1965]
      07. The Soothsayers. I don't know [SG Acropolis 1966]
      08. The Scoundrels. come home with me [SG Verve 1966]
      09. Allah-Las. tell me (what's on your mind) [SG Innovative Leisure 2011]
      10. Michael and the Medallions. I wanna talk to you [SG Bragg 1965]
      11. The Travelling Salesmen. days of my years [SG Rca Victor 1967]
      12. The Boys from New York City. take it or leave it [SG Laurie 1967]
      13. The Hardtimes. goodbye [SG World Pacific 1966]
      14. Dion. daddy rollin (in your arms) [SG Laurie 1968]
      15. The Honey Jug. warm city baby [SG Hip 1967]
      16. Aquarian Age. old man don't cry [SG Mercury 1969]
      17. The Victorians. wasn't the summer short [SG 1967 Bang]

We kick off the 14th season with a bunch of moody garage and folk rockers from all over the States. From the phasing echoes of Noel Odom trying to find his mind ("what if I won, what if I lost?") to the teenage angst of the Soothsayers, finding some revelations with the Lewis and Clarke expedition and some hidden gems like the Greensleeves adaptation by Gordon Kjellberg. Also the early efforts of New Jersey's Critters, a devoted band here at NMdT, or the Travelling Salesmen looking to their back pages written in the days of their years. It all ends with the Aquarian Age, a studio artyfact related to the Cuff Links team, and a beautiful ode to the summer by the Victorians.

Oh, and don't forget to get your hands on the debut album by LA's Allah-La's, which includes the single featured here plus more luminiscent melodies for the dune and meadows days. A HUGE fave here!
      http://innovativeleisure.bigcartel.com/product/allah-las-allah-las