Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• August 7, 2012 8:21 AM CDT
    • Lots of great suggestions. Great question for the group. Great answers all around.

• August 7, 2012 7:39 AM CDT
    • Is anyone (in America) on here into turntable.fm? I hang out in a room called Punk Gunk, Garage, Psych n Wild Shit. Mad people who hang out in there have VERY good taste and it's a pretty easy way to discover new bands. Check it out if you haven't and if you have come jam with me sometime.

• August 7, 2012 2:33 AM CDT
    • The Mummies

The Phantom Surfers

• August 6, 2012 9:34 AM CDT
    • Okay, when I was a kid, I thought Creedence were saying "There's a bathroom on the right" (Bad Moon Rising) lol!

• August 6, 2012 6:46 AM CDT
    • Thanks for the words...I'll check out Pirates Press and Rainbow!

• August 5, 2012 9:00 AM CDT
    • I used to press with United out of Nashville. I haven't done a record in several years, so I don't know what's going on with the pressing plants these days. When I did use them, they were great. It's probably worth your time to check them out.  I believe one of my good friends uses Rainbow records now. I haven't heard of any problems as of yet. Rainbow is probably the closest to you, they are in Cali. I've heard multiple horror stories concerning Alpha vinyl in Florida. Seems you'd be best to steer clear of that one.

If you guys have the budget, I would do 500 press instead of 300. With the cost of pressing, sleeves and so on, it's hardly worth the time to do anything smaller.

• August 5, 2012 4:41 AM CDT
    • Goes with gz which I tend to avoid. Some of my friends sent in two 45's from two different bands and got to splits. Never got their money back...

• August 5, 2012 2:49 AM CDT
    • I press with MPO in France but I use vinylium in Belgium for the order.

• August 4, 2012 7:37 PM CDT
    • We're based in Las Vegas, NV.  US

The Fnords said:

Whereabouts are you? We used Breed media (U.K.), but I think that they subcontracted the actual pressing to GZ (in Czech Republic).

• August 4, 2012 6:35 PM CDT
    • Whereabouts are you? We used Breed media (U.K.), but I think that they subcontracted the actual pressing to GZ (in Czech Republic).

• August 6, 2012 2:09 AM CDT
    • Just gave this a quick relisten via Youtube (didn't feel like digging thru the record/CD crates!).

I dunno - something about that solo sounds really tentative, like he was still warming up or something.

• August 5, 2012 2:15 PM CDT
    • You know , as much as I love that song , I can't really make out the guitar solo in my mind , right now that you mention it.

• August 4, 2012 5:47 PM CDT
    • "I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore" by the Young Rascals.

Listening to a lot of garage-era singles, you can understand why effects boxes were invented, because those guitars had a THIN sound. Even if it was a professional like Gene Cornish from the Rascals. Not his fault, but the music was growing so fast that sometimes the equipment couldn't keep up...

• August 6, 2012 12:01 AM CDT
    • I've found nothing beats a Fender Twin with shitloads of verb, a strat set to the bridge pick up & a nasty ratty splattery 60's fuzz..roll of the volume maybe just a tad on the guitars volume knob..heaven.

• August 5, 2012 9:25 PM CDT
    • The August 5th Show: The Book of Trash!

Listen now! : http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20120805-0030-t1344123000.mp3

The Setlist:

TED   CASSIDY  THE LURCH 

THE CHARLES  MOTORCYCLE 
      ROY AND GEORGIA & THE SO   SO'S DEVIL GET AWAY FROM ME 
      WENDEL AUSTIN  LSD 
      THE BREAKERS  JET STREAM 
      THINGS TO COME  SPEAK OF THE DEVIL 
      GIN GILLETTE  THE TRAIN TO SATANVILLE 
      THE WILD TONES  THE MARTIAN BAND 

THE VICE BARONS  FUZZY N WILD 
      THE CYBORGS  NO! NO! NO! 

THE JUVENILES  HEY BO DIDDLEY 
      THE LANDELS  THE WITCH 
      THEM BELFAST GYPSIES  THE SECRET POLICE 
      THE DIODES  PLASTIC GIRLS 

EDDIE ANGEL  RAMPAGE 
      THE VIBRATORS  INTO THE FUTURE 
      BOBBY STANTON'S SEXTET  SCREE….AHHH
      BILL CARTER  BABY BROTHER 
      THE DEAD BOYS  (I DON'T WANNA BE NO) CATHOLIC BOY 
      TELEVISION PERSONALITIES  SILLY GIRL 

WAILIN' STORMS SUPERSTITIOUS MAN 
      HAUNTED GEORGE  WEEKS IN A CASKET 
      JAN DAVIS  LOST IN SPACE 
      UNKNOWN  PICKUP ON 101 
      GANIMIAN & HIS   ORIENTALS  COME WITH ME TO THE CASBAH 
      FRANCE GALL  LE COEUR QUI JAZZ 

MAD DADDYS  ACID RAINDANCE 

• August 5, 2012 2:20 PM CDT
    •  Last I heard , recently , Dave Hill is still doing fine.I think he's 90 years old , now.

John Battles said:

THEY SURE WERE ! I was lucky that I got to see them several times....Milt Trenier had his own club , fantastic place , a real 50's coctail lounge/Jazz club , but anyobody that had PANTS on could come in. The Treniers played there about twice a year. I first saw them in '89. Great performance , but not much at all , in the way of rockin' R'n'B. i WAITED ABOUT 5 YEARS , and saw them again , and the OKEH collection on Sony had come out , so , from thereon in , they were ROCKIN' THE HOUSE , AGAIN !!! If they had an engagement at Milt's place , I'd go at least two nights. I also saw them twice in Vegas. They were the last of a line , barring their friends , Freddie Bell and Sam Butera. Actually , when I saw Bell , it was a big letdown. Never got to see Sam , a bigger disappointment. Milt just turned 82 , and still gigs on a regular basis.

BackdoorStan said:

That guy could squeal up a storm, the Treniers were amazing

• August 5, 2012 2:07 PM CDT
    • Never practiced , late on . That's pretty funny. But , certainly believable. Of course , Mole was in The Mystreated ...I don't have a lot of their stuff , but , they were definitely on the money.

Fortune and Maltese , too , had to be seen to be truly appreciated , but , I liked that they did their homework , and wrote songs in MANY styles of that era , not just monster gurl put downs and/or NW -ish Frat Rockers , like when Frat parties contained kickass music , not just guys getting their asses kicked. Mike Maltese was living here in Chicago , too , because of his work , but he'd drive to Kalamazoo every weekend (Fuck me , I dunno , Five hours?) to work on songs with Freddie Fortune. That's Kaiser - like dedication. In fact , once The Neanderthals , Kaisers , and Fortune and Maltese played a show together at Fitzgerald's in Berwyn. We probably did take stuff like that for granted in The 90's.

• August 5, 2012 3:27 AM CDT
    • I saw The Kaisers lots of times, well every oppurtunity, and yes to see them live had to be seen. Did you know in the last few years of The Kaisers life span they no longer praticed. Thats how good they were, just like The Mystreated stuff I have everything by them fave track must be Dont Go With Him WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Battles said:

The Kaisers could not be touched for what they did , it's true. They made an amusing , though not inaccurate , statement , about their music not being retro or nostalgic , but, rather, antiquated . They were'nt ashamed of the tag , they put it on themselves. BUT , they had to be seen live to be truly appreciated. Those guys worked their balls off , like a real "Beat" band would have. When they came to Chicago the first time , they played three nights , did the same another time , and did FIVE nights in a row, another time. I went to the first three shows , and wanted , badly , to see one of the  other two , but , just could'nt do it.....

There may have been some very good Beat bands at that time that I never saw or heard , but , those guys killed. The only time they did'nt floor me was when they had to follow The Downliners Sect . You talk about authenticity......

• August 4, 2012 3:25 PM CDT
    •  The Kaisers could not be touched for what they did , it's true. They made an amusing , though not inaccurate , statement , about their music not being retro or nostalgic , but, rather, antiquated . They were'nt ashamed of the tag , they put it on themselves. BUT , they had to be seen live to be truly appreciated. Those guys worked their balls off , like a real "Beat" band would have. When they came to Chicago the first time , they played three nights , did the same another time , and did FIVE nights in a row, another time. I went to the first three shows , and wanted , badly , to see one of the  other two , but , just could'nt do it.....

There may have been some very good Beat bands at that time that I never saw or heard , but , those guys killed. The only time they did'nt floor me was when they had to follow The Downliners Sect . You talk about authenticity......

• August 5, 2012 10:37 AM CDT
    • Stream or download the entire 8.3.12 show right here.

$ of an Education – Terry Anderson & the Olympic Ass-Kickin’ Team
      Too Much Information – Terry Anderson & the Olympic Ass-Kickin’ Team
      Purple GTO – Terry Anderson & the Olympic Ass-Kickin’ Team
      Willie Mays – Terry Anderson & the Olympic Ass-Kickin’ Team
      Gambled & Lost – Terry Anderson & the Olympic Ass-Kickin’ Team
      Fat Lady (live) – Terry Anderson & the Olympic Ass-Kickin’ Team

Come On Let’s Go – The Enchanters
      Have a Drink – The Attention
      Something’s Got a Hold of Me – The Shondells
      The Girl – The Gnats
      Fingerbang Gang – The Rats

Medication – The Standells
      She’s the Kind of Girl – Trolley
      I Can’t Hide – Trolley
      Jumpin’ in the Night (live) – The Plimsouls
      Beg, Borrow & Steal – The Rare Breed
      Batman – The Standells

She’s Long Gone – Rainy Day Saints
      Paint My Window Green – The Resonars

Local Lunchbox
      Greatest Pretender – Sugar Stems
      All Outta Love – Lonesome Savages
      Fire Rock – The Mistreaters
      Skate – The Mighty Deerlick

It’s a Miracle – The Names
      Comes & Gos – The Connection
      The Dream – Vicky & the Vengents
      Let’s Start Over Again – The White Wires
      Golden Chain – Hollows
      I Wonder – The Butteflys

Pandemic #44 – The Pow Wows
      Be Adventurous – The Ripe
      Sunflower – Paul Messis & Jessica Winter

Love You All I Can – The Bootmen
      All I Got – The Branded
      Wine, Wine, Wine – The Bleach Boys
      Please Don’t Tell My Baby – The Milkshakes
      Beatnik – Royal Jokers

Phone interview with Alicja Trout from River City Tanlines
      Can’t Stand You Anymore – River City Tanlines
      I Don’t Get It – River City Tanlines

Fireworks – Sultan Bathery
      Pixie Dust – Hellshovel
      Gang – Ramma Lamma
      More Cigarettes – Cheap Time
      Loathsome Blues – Chicken Snake

I Don’t Know What You Got (But It’s Got Me) – Little Richard
      Put Your Arms Around Me, Honey – Bobby Charles
      Don’t Quit Me Baby – Screamin’ Joe Neal

Hang it Out To Dry – Bud & Kathy
      Help Yourself Baby – The Beachcombers
      Tell Me – The Termites

• August 4, 2012 3:12 PM CDT
    •  I know it's a tall order , but , I wonder if anyone has a photo of this band? I had an ex- teacher and former friend by that name who would have been in his early 20's around this time , and hung out with Gary Panter's crowd at East Texas State Gulag in the early 70's.....This could have been his band ......But, quite possibly , not. He did tell me he saw The New York Dolls , twice.....At any rate , I think it's the bitchenest Mott rippoff I've ever heard.    I don't think Texas had much of a "Glam" scene , in terms of bands , but , a lot of the Dallas Punk bands were formed by people who came up following the Glam scene , as it were , in their teens and maybe early 20's. My friend  , Mark Ridlen , from Lithium Xmas , was one of those people , and , he said when he went to London in 1976 , he did'nt get the memo about Punk , so , he thought the kids with green hair were some kind of Glam castoffs.

On second thought , I did'nt see the part about the group having released an album.....If it were him , I'd have heard about it , most likely. But , please amuse yourselves with my half baked theories.....
      Joanie Lindstrom said:

Have never seen that name on the various junkshop glam comps.  Some of it reminds me of Mott, not bad.

Daniel M said:

It's hard to keep track of what has been mentioned so far, but the latest Permanent Records email update lists a reissue of an LP by Metz (1974 band from Texas, not the current noise rock band):