Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• July 30, 2012 3:55 PM CDT
    • MY EX HAD ONE OR TWO ORIGINAL PS 45s (I have "Makin' Time" , but w/o a picture sleeve.)AND COPIED ONE FOR ME....BUT , I GUESS I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THE SCARCITY OF REALLY GOOD PHOTOS.   FOR YEARS , ALL I HAD WAS A LINE COMPILATION FROM GERMANY , WITH A VERY GOOD COLOR PIC. THAT , AND THE RAW 45 REISSUE W/THE PS.

THE UGLY THINGS FEATURE , FROM SEVERAL YEARS AGO , HAD GREAT PHOTOS FROM EVERY LINEUP OF THE GROUP (BARRING THE REFORMATION , IN ,WHAT? '93?, AND AFTER.).

Not that i'm encouraging anyone to use any of them without checking it with Mike.

• July 29, 2012 7:36 PM CDT
    • I made the cover. Do you know how hard it is to find quality images of the Band? Impossible. Even my comp cds have pretty crap photos.

John Battles said:

THULL ,  Thank you. I wonder who did this clever retooling of,was it "If I Stay Too Long" pic sleeve? It was'nt used to promote the gig , originally . I did one flyer and Steve Krakow from Galactic Zoodissier (New issue out . BIFF , BANG , POW ! Buy this monster , NOW !) did another. You can see mine on my profile , plus , some pics from that two - night mind melter. Actually , I need to put some more up there......

• July 30, 2012 3:40 PM CDT
    • Sad . Seemed nice and certainly a great guitarist with a unique mani(a)c style .

He's gonna be missed . 

• July 30, 2012 6:24 AM CDT
    • Our sincerest condolences.

• July 29, 2012 3:04 PM CDT
    • Too, too young. Saw them a few years back in Spain and if I recall right, one of their mothers was with them for the trip. Just kids. But a great band none the less. Condolences to all who knew him.

• July 30, 2012 3:32 PM CDT
    • ....Well , I think , the bottom line is , Spenser has been around for a long time , since the Pub Rock days.....I saw Wreckless Eric once , and , he said , before going solo , he auditioned for "A Garage band , Standells , Chocolate Watchband covers... with an American singer". I asked him , later , if he was talking about Mike Spenser . "YEH !  HOW DID YOU KNOW?". I said , well , I can't think of too many other American singers  who might have been trying to start a Garage band in Britain when there was even less call for one than there was , even here in the states. But , I asked Eric if this band (Presumably an embryonic version of The Cannibals that did'nt take off.) was before or after Mike's stint with The (Count) Bishops , to which he replied , "Mike Spenser was in the Count Bishops?!"

I THINK , POSSIBLY , SPENSER ALSO WARRANTED A DOCUMENTARY , FOR CARRYING ON , REGARDLESS OF DEMAND. HE DID'NT BECOME , LIKE BILLY CHILDISH , HUGE IN AMERICA, OR EVEN P.PAUL FENECH , GRADUALLY POPULAR IN AMERICA. HE'S AN AMERICAN WHO CARVED A LITTLE NICHE IN ENGLAND....

• July 30, 2012 9:50 AM CDT
    • Nice find Kop, I'm sure that was a small part of it. I don't think it's ever been shown again here and was probably never shown in the States?? The length might not be 30 minutes but it was a lot longer than that, if my old memory serves!

kopper said:

Not sure if this is what you're after or not (it's not even three minutes long, much less thirty!)...

• July 30, 2012 9:38 AM CDT
    • Oh yeah, here he is!

http://garagepunk.ning.com/profile/MikeSpenser

Maybe if he's got a copy of it he could post it in our Video section (hint, hint)!

Mark George Harrison said:

Had a look through some of it earlier then found him on here! Have sent a friend request so maybe he can shed some light on it.

• July 30, 2012 9:35 AM CDT
    • Had a look through some of it earlier then found him on here! Have sent a friend request so maybe he can shed some light on it.

• July 30, 2012 9:29 AM CDT
    • Not sure if this is what you're after or not (it's not even three minutes long, much less thirty!)...

• July 30, 2012 3:45 AM CDT
    • Many years ago I caught a documentary, about 30 minutes long, about Mike Spenser. To say it was a shock is an understatement as the Cannibals were never big in the UK and MS was, to most, an unknown. I never thought to record it at the time and have never seen it repeated. I've been through Youtube as well and there's nothing there either. 

Does anyone else remember seeing it or does anyone have a copy?

• July 30, 2012 12:23 PM CDT
    • The July 29th Show. R.I.P. Sherman Helmsley.

http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20120729-0030-t1343518200.mp3

The Setlist:

KIT & THE OUTLAWS  DON'T TREAD ON ME 

THE DEL-VETTS  LAST TIME AROUND 
      DR. FEELGOOD  SHE DOES IT RIGHT 
      ELTON MOTELLO  VICTIM OF TIME 
      THE ENIGMAS  BAD MEAT 
      COMPULSIVE GAMBLERS  PHONEY LESBIANS 
      DAVID BOWIE  I WISH YOU WOULD 

TRICKY WOO  MAKING TIME 
      OLI BROWN  BLACK BETTY 
      R.L. BURNSIDE  GEORGIA WOMEN 

LES MACCABEES  LA COURSE 
      THE FAIRIES  ANYTIME AT ALL 

JOHN MAYALL  NOTHING TO DO WITH LOVE 
      MAGIC SLIM  THE MAN YOU NEED 
      CHARLES CALDWELL  HADN'T I BEEN GOOD TO YOU 

BOB LOG III BOOB SCOTCH 
      GUITAR WOLF  HURRICAINE ROCK 

DOROTHY BERRY  STANDING ON THE CORNER 
      SHIRLEY ELLIS  THE CLAPPIN' SONG 
      5678'S I'M BLUE 
      KITTY LOVE  YOU GOTTA CHANGE 
      GORE GORE GIRLS  FOX IN THE BOX 
      MARSHA GEE  PEANUT DUCK 

JA'NET DUBOIS  MOVIN' ON UP 

• July 30, 2012 12:21 PM CDT
    • Shop Assistants - no contest. Never lucky enough to see them live, but did see short-lived spin-off band The Motorcycle Boy supporting the Mary Chain in '87. Anyone ever see them?

• July 30, 2012 9:58 AM CDT
    • Thanks for the help. In the "We Never Learn" book, he does mention that it was a "brief" beef, implying that it didn't last too long or cause any major problems, considering the people in both bands/camps were amicably hanging out together (to some extent) at each other's shows (according to the book).

I was just curious about the story, considering how influential the members of each band are in our little arena of crusty rock.

• July 30, 2012 9:14 AM CDT
    • This was discussed on the Bomp List many moons ago:

http://bomplist.soybomb.net/2000/04/msg00605.html

I seem to remember that basically the Gibson Bros. had sampled a piece of an A-Bones' record and that caused a ruckus. No credit was supposedly given, etc. Or maybe they'd made some rude noise after the 'Bones sample (and *still* not given credit or paid for the use or something like that.)  The Norton folks objected to the use, at any rate and the Gibsons obviously didn't like being given crap for it. Or, at least, that's the little I remember about it.

• July 30, 2012 6:13 AM CDT
    • There's a thread on the Terminal Boredom board which explains a little more: http://terminal-boredom.com/forums/index.php?topic=24544.0 and I seem to recall (although based on somewhat hazily-remembered conversations with Howland and Evans) that it was all sorted out somewhere along the line.

• July 30, 2012 6:33 AM CDT
    • It's good to see so much interest in these kind of bands as it's the sort of stuff we've been playing on our shows, as well as the more 60s inspired garage stuff that seems to get far more coverage. Check out Church of Thee PVC here and our other non GaragePunk Radio show Polyvinyl Craftsmen that features much of the same plus music from loads of other genres too. 

• July 30, 2012 2:20 AM CDT
    • Definitely The Moonhearts, I was listening to their LP yesterday and it really does have a Black Lips sound.

• July 30, 2012 3:41 AM CDT
    • There's one chance left to listen to my July show - at midnight  tonight (UK time) - featuring the ususal mix of psych, garage, electronica and everything else I can lay my hands on.

New August show starts streaming on 1st August (surprisingly), with 3 tracks from the latest Garage Punk Hideout comp, a preview of the Liverpool International Psychedlic Festival, and loads of new stuff, including ace Cambodian psych-pop, drone-y bluegrass and some lovely dub, as well as a couple of vintage rock n roll moments.

Give me a shout if you like what you hear - pete@dandelionradio.com

• July 29, 2012 7:01 PM CDT
    • I'd seen most , not all , of this performance , but , the quality , here , is so good , it's scary. I scored a copy of "Jams" on a VHS comp of Beat Club clips 20+ years ago , but , before You Tube , the other songs never seemed to surface. You never would have guessed this was a band on it's way out . They had a second chance in Europe in '72 , but even that newfound attention could'nt save their careers. 

• July 29, 2012 3:23 PM CDT
    • Stream or download the July 27 show right here.

Deadline – The Challengers
      Straw that Stirs the Drink – The Baseball Project
      I Sell Soul – Rocket from the Tombs
      Final Stretch – The Oblivians
      You Can’t Buy My Love – Barbara Lynn
      Ichiro Goes to the Moon – The Baseball Project
      Let’s Make a Fair Trade – Bob King

Hijack the Radio – The Nervebreakers
      Strange Movies – The Troggs
      If Looks Could Kill – Laughing Hyenas
      Crazy Date – The Senders
      My Girlfriend is a Rock – The Nervebreakers