Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• July 31, 2012 8:17 AM CDT
    • A friend just pointed that out.  And another friend from MBR says "this is my pal phil king's project! he's responsible for most of the cool junk shop glam comps that have come out in the past few years. he also produced the jesse hector film i was featured in. he writes for a lot of london rock mags and now plays bass for jesus & mary chain. i'm planning on having him on the show in sept. when the band is in town."

Matt said:

Anybody heard about this glam book from the Singsing people - Wired Up? http://www.wiredupbook.com/#!home/mainPage Comes with a Hector 45 re-ish. Been looking forward to this for a while.

• July 31, 2012 8:13 AM CDT
    • Anybody heard about this glam book from the Singsing people - Wired Up? http://www.wiredupbook.com/#!home/mainPage Comes with a Hector 45 re-ish. Been looking forward to this for a while.

• July 31, 2012 5:53 AM CDT
    • Have never seen that name on the various junkshop glam comps.  Some of it reminds me of Mott, not bad.

Daniel M said:

It's hard to keep track of what has been mentioned so far, but the latest Permanent Records email update lists a reissue of an LP by Metz (1974 band from Texas, not the current noise rock band):

• July 30, 2012 9:52 PM CDT
    • It's hard to keep track of what has been mentioned so far, but the latest Permanent Records email update lists a reissue of an LP by Metz (1974 band from Texas, not the current noise rock band):

• July 31, 2012 8:12 AM CDT
    • I gotta agree with both of you - as soon as I saw the discussion topic, in fact, I thought of that Brides record.   Oddly enough, I just picked it up last month.  Some foolish or desperate person sold his entire HUGE punk collection (over a thousand records) to my local record store in June, and I was able to get my hands on a bunch of Rip-Off Records releases, including the aforementioned Brides 45. 

Matt said:

Totally agree with that estimation on the Brides 45. PC Action is my favorite Time Flys song too.

• July 31, 2012 2:10 AM CDT
    • Too many to sensibly list, so here are five. Supercharger - Icepick 7" on Pre-BS. The aforementioned Teengenerate release on Wild Wild. Buzzcocks' Love You More on United Artists. The Undertones - You've Got My Number (Why Don't You Use It?) on Sire. Magazine - A Song From Under The Floorboards on Virgin. Although the Peel session version of the latter is the one which really makes the hairs of my neck prick up in nostalgic attention.

• July 31, 2012 12:02 AM CDT
    • favorite 7" and one i recently got my hands on:

The Gories - Nitroglycerine/Makin Love

just perfect.

• July 30, 2012 6:27 PM CDT
    • YOU CAN SAY "GROOVY" . NO BARRIERS , HERE (I DON'T THINK.) . Oh , yeah ! The Troggs kept recording well into the '90s , if not later. The last major release , that I know of , was "Athens Andover", a mostly strong LP/CD , inspite of , not because of , direct  REM involvement. That was in the early 90's. I interviewed Reg Presley in 2000 , and , at that time , he said they had a World Cup song for Manchester United that was ready to go , but , the label went bankrupt , so , they decided to hang on to it until the next World Cup. Don't think anythng ever came of it....But , until Presley's extremely unfortunate recent battle with Lung Cancer  put a nearly 50 year career on ice , The Troggs were still kicking ass and taking names as of a year or so ago. There's plenty of evidence of that on You Tube , as well.

• July 30, 2012 4:05 PM CDT
    • FAVORITES THAT i DON'T HAVE  - The Troggs "Just A Little Too Much" , RAW records , maybe '78?   The REAL Garage Punk , The Johnny Burnette/Ricky Nelson  classic gets the Troggs treatment. RAW also released the outstanding "Showbiz" single by The Downliners Sect.

• July 31, 2012 7:57 AM CDT
    • The Cyborgs

• July 31, 2012 7:25 AM CDT
    • Of course no U.S. punk band is worthy of Russia's Pussy Riot!! Hands down the greatest masked band EVER!!! Because they went to jail for their music and could overthrow Putin.

• July 31, 2012 7:24 AM CDT
    • Daikaiju!! Fuggin' insane!

• July 31, 2012 4:32 AM CDT
    • Sad news...what happened to this guy?

• July 31, 2012 4:17 AM CDT
    • Wow. This is really terrible news.

Was a big fan of Thee Vicars, especially around the time of Psychotic Beat!, and played them endlessly on the Dandelion show. What a shame.

• July 31, 2012 3:49 AM CDT
    • Sad news indeed.

Here's a pic from Thee Vicars last but one gig at WEIRDSVILLE on 7th July.

RIP.

• July 30, 2012 4:32 PM CDT
    • My thoughts go to Thee Vicars and Chris' family and friends during this time.

Such a tragic event.

Sincere Condolences.

• July 31, 2012 4:12 AM CDT
    • First broadcast of the new show for August is at 4pm (UK time) on August 1st with 3 tracks from the latest Garage Punk Hideout comp, a preview of the Liverpool International Psychedlic Festival, and loads of new stuff, including ace Cambodian psych-pop, drone-y bluegrass and some lovely dub, as well as a couple of vintage rock n roll moments.- join me, won't you?

Give me a shout if you like what you hear - pete@dandelionradio.com

• July 30, 2012 11:55 PM CDT
    • oh snap! this is crazy! sooooo good!

• July 30, 2012 7:47 PM CDT
    • His Kingdom Come (HIS WILL BE DONE.)output , and various solo albums was released on.....I forget the label. A friend just sent me his album with Vincent Crane on CD. I don't know if his album with Jimmy Carl Black was ever reissued. I should've bought it at the time. From there , you're getting into mostly or all CD. THE ABORTED SECOND CRAZY WORLD OF ARTHUR BROWN ALBUM "Strange Worlds" was released on vinyl on Reckless , I think , 1988. Yes , Reckless as in the record store in London , Chicago , and formerly San Francisco and Evanston , Ill. I don't know if it was reissued on CD. IT'S A GREAT ALBUM. MAYBE BETTER THAN THE FIRST.  There's a Live at The Marquee CD from 10 or 15 years ago , a career spanning effort. Plus , Arthur did a fantastic duet with Phil May on The Pretty Things' 40TH ANNIVERSARY LIVE DVD/CD.

ratoonie said:

Dont really Know what is rarer:....my friend had a copy of Fire on a 45.... Atlantic,......I've had 2 copys of the Clown-star album...... both were cut-outs & both were on Track...
      has any of his stuff been re-issued on CD??????

• July 30, 2012 6:17 PM CDT
    •  I met Dave Vanian once , in the early 90's. He told me his Birthday was coming up in a week. I commented that Bela Lugosi's Birthday had just passed . He said , "Yes , I'm the same year , actually." . I said "???????".  He said , "I mean , I was BORN in the year that he DIED.".

• July 30, 2012 5:47 PM CDT
    • Ali:

After reading the terminal-boredom post, i almost wished i hadn't, cause now everytime i look at the back of the Gibson Brothers/Workdogs LP, Punk Rock Truck Drivin' Song Of A Gun, i'm seeing those initials....it did make me laugh out loud for a minute (or 2) at the utter stupidity of it all!!

Ali Want said:

There's a thread on the Terminal Boredom board which explains a little more: http://terminal-boredom.com/forums/index.php?topic=24544.0 and I seem to recall (although based on somewhat hazily-remembered conversations with Howland and Evans) that it was all sorted out somewhere along the line.

• July 30, 2012 3:57 PM CDT
    • NOW , i FORGET....i THINK THAT LINE CD HAD RON WOOD , NOT EDDIE PHILLIPS , ON THE COVER. BUT , BACK IN THE PRE - CD DAYS , THERE WERE A FEW EURO COMPS WITH GOOD COLOR PICS.

John Battles said:

MY EX HAD ONE OR TWO ORIGINAL PS 45s (I have "Makin' Time" , but w/o a picture sleeve.)AND COPIED ONE FOR ME....BUT , I GUESS I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THE SCARCITY OF REALLY GOOD PHOTOS.   FOR YEARS , ALL I HAD WAS A LINE COMPILATION FROM GERMANY , WITH A VERY GOOD COLOR PIC. THAT , AND THE RAW 45 REISSUE W/THE PS.

THE UGLY THINGS FEATURE , FROM SEVERAL YEARS AGO , HAD GREAT PHOTOS FROM EVERY LINEUP OF THE GROUP (BARRING THE REFORMATION , IN ,WHAT? '93?, AND AFTER.).

Not that i'm encouraging anyone to use any of them without checking it with Mike.