Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• July 18, 2012 11:19 AM CDT
    • Thanks for the tip Preach and apologies for taking so long to get back to you, technical difficulties and all that! R Fink does put a power of work into bringing us exciting rock n roll sounds so hopefully he'll pass this way again.

The screamin' Soul Preacher said:

I really miss Rock'n'Roll Suicide too, one of my very favorite podcasts here.

R. Fink has a great weekly radio show too, check THIS if you're in deep need for lo-fi R'n'R !

Hopefully he will come back here with a tear-ass episode someday !!!

• July 18, 2012 10:21 AM CDT
    • Actually, quite a few of our members have found the Hideout because of the GaragePunk.com entry there. So that's not entirely true. It's good for what it is, but you just have to remember to take the information you read there with a grain of salt and always double-check facts (ahem, Steve! haha).

John Carlucci said:

We should name this thread, "No one cares about Wikipedia" lol!

• July 18, 2012 9:33 AM CDT
    •  There was a a link on a wikipedia page of The Fuzztones crediting the bass player as John Carluccio, & the link took you to a page from some film maker that obviously was not me. So I corrected it, and got a notice that my entry might be "Peacocking" (posting by the subject to advertise) & needed verification! lol. So I wrote an explanation that I was just correcting mis-information & they still have it flagged! lol!! Luckily, someone else linked a NY Times story I was mentioned in, so they left it up. LOL. I mean seriously, they were okay with some idiot putting a link to the wrong person, but not okay with my verification that I was the credited musician?? The other guy wasn't even a musician!

• July 18, 2012 2:02 AM CDT
    • I love the 'CRACKER BARREL BEER AND LOBSTER HOUSE' reference ! 

• July 17, 2012 11:26 AM CDT
    • Usually the band is unsigned, has released no albums (or only a self-produced CD), and the article was written by the band.

Damn, that would be us...

• July 17, 2012 10:16 AM CDT
    • I had one embarrassing experience with Wikipedia in my other life as a political reporter. 

Back in 2008, I had an interview with then U.S. Rep. Rahm Emanuel, who was doing a fund-raiser for a local Congressman. (This of course was before he was Obama's chief of staff or mayor of Chicago.

Before the interview, I read Emanuel's Wikipedia entry just to get some basic facts. Here's one of those "facts":

"He was in a one-man Klezmer band called Rahmbunctious Eman."

How could I not ask him about that? It had a linked footnote and everything.

So I asked. And he looked at me like I was crazy.

"No," he said.

According to the footnote in Wikipedia, the klezmer claim supposedly was in a 2005 Rolling Stone profile. However, looking over the article afterwards, there's nothing about Rahmbunctious Eman or Rahm Emanuel in that article.

The line in Wikipedia had disappeared by the next day.

G. Wood said:

Yeah, anybody can, but they have hordes of no-no volunteers whose hobby is finding articles to recommend for deletion.

James Porter said:

Hell, I didn't even know it took much to get on Wikipedia in the first place. Can't anybody just write anything? Most Wiki articles I see have some outlandishly wrong factoid in the first place!

• July 17, 2012 9:47 AM CDT
    • We should name this thread, "No one cares about Wikipedia" lol!

• July 18, 2012 3:37 AM CDT
    • Mummies, for sure.  Rip-Offs were also blinking ace.

• July 17, 2012 2:59 PM CDT
    • Los Tiki Phantoms from Spain.

• July 18, 2012 2:31 AM CDT
    • Kitty indeed was the rightful queen of country music. She died Monday from complications from a stroke. She was 92.

She's best known for her 1952 hit "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels," written by J.D. Miller, probably is the greatest "answer song" in the history of music. It was a pointed reply to the Hank Thompson's "The Wild Side of Life."

But one of the most soulful country songs ever recorded was Kitty's "Making Believe." Kitty had a hit with it in the '50s. Emmylou Harris and Merle Haggard both did fine versions. But I also love how Social Distortion made it work as a punk-rock stomper.

Here's an obituary from the Los Angeles Times' Pop & Hiss blog. And below are videos of Kitty singing those two wonderful songs.

• July 18, 2012 2:30 AM CDT
    • Here's T-Model with my son (who is 20 now)

T Model Ford and Anton

• July 17, 2012 6:25 PM CDT
    • Yeah, but why do really good recordings, I'm thinking Nirvana, Rancid, DKM, sound good everywhere? Answer: Every stage of the recording process is done on top of the line equipment by talented experts. It transcends the shortcomings of various playback systems. If you're recording with so-so stuff and medium-skilled people (like most of us), mastering isn't going to make you sound like them. Er... I guess that's why they call it Garage.

• July 17, 2012 5:40 PM CDT
    • Good point about speakers. 

It probably makes sense to skew the master mix slightly toward the kind of speakers one's target audience will most likely be using. 

I heard Elvis was a stickler for this approach, at least in the early days (see photos from '56 below). He'd preview his acetates on an inexpensive battery-operated record player, and if he didn't think they sounded good there, he have the master mix adjusted accordingly. I understand the Stones did something similar, rushing down to their limo during sessions with a cassette to see whether or not the latest tweak still sounded good on a car system. 

The holy grail, of course, is a master mix that sounds great on both low and high fidelity systems.

I always thought that if one could afford the cost of multiple mastering mixes, this would be a great strategy, ie shoot for a master that sounds decent on, say, laptop PC speakers, iPod/iPhone headphones, car stereos, AND high end audio systems.  

Difficult, yes; but if old timers could do it with analog equipment, clearly not impossible.

THEE DIRTYBEATS - maximum vintage garage
      http://theedirtybeats.bandcamp.com

• July 17, 2012 4:16 PM CDT
    • The one-dimensional concept of "louder is better" has already been mentioned; most mixes nowadays are "pushed" pretty hard (compressionwise) even before the mastering stage – maybe that can explain why the difference is minimal... there's simply not always a lot of headroom for a mastering engineer to work with (although a good mastering engineer should care enough to tell you if this is the case!).

Also, regarding different speakers; remember that different rooms (and speaker placement for that matter) also affect what comes out of those speakers, and in turn what your ears register (muffled/crisp/?..).  In my experience there's always a difference when comparing mixes in the studio and in my living room, even with the same speakers.

(e)

• July 17, 2012 12:42 PM CDT
    • yeah we sent them out.... i would have been a pain in the guys butt if i had been there. trying to control everything. i was a different guy than mixed it too. i wanted to be there for the mixing, but that part turned out really well.

the mastered version sounded mufffled to me on two different sets of speakers. but then i got it home, and it was crisp. i almost couldn't tell any difference between the mastered and unmastered. so maybe g wood is right, garage fans like it more raw, right to the point that my home speakers are more thin than other peoples....

maybe, i don't know.

Larabee said:

I generally agree with G. Wood's comments.  Mastering does affect the overall volume level but it also can shape the sound of each track.  Shmo, I can't tell from your post whether you attended the mastering session, or whether you sent the tracks to someone to master and they sent them back to you.   I recommend that if you get the opportunity to attend a mastering session, that you do it.  And while you are there, ask all of the questions you have about the mastering process.  I also recommend that you have the tracks mastered by someone other than the person who mixed (and/or recorded) the tracks.

• July 17, 2012 6:05 PM CDT
    • The Gravitrons are my fave because they're from my hometown of Columbia, SC AND they sound like surf meets early Blondie. 

• July 17, 2012 5:21 PM CDT
    • .....Have to agree here.....they are horrible.....and the only one I have ever played, played and sounded every bit as good as it looked.......

Mardy Pune said:

Dean guitars are pretty bloody awful to look at...

• July 17, 2012 2:28 PM CDT
    • oldtimer here:

Rain Parade. Plan 9, Plasticland, The Inmates, Chesterfield Kings, just about anything on Midnight Records too, The Lyres, Soft Boys, Dream Syndicate, Creatures of the Golden Dawn, Dead Moon, The Prisoners, The Fleshtones, The Embrooks, Flamin' Groovies, Hoodoo Gurus, Long Ryders.  Just to name a few:

• July 17, 2012 10:20 AM CDT
    • Thanks John! I thought I made that Screamin' Lord Such cassette for Shari! But I do remember that story and I still have that very record to this day.

Records were incredibly hard to find in those days! Especially old ones. Reissues were just starting but they were mostly European so it was hard to find in California. I remember how legendary 'Easter Everywhere' was back then. There were sightings from time to time. I remember that there was a record shop in Orange County in 1983 that had a copy of 'Easter Everywhere' behind the cash register on display with a price tag proudly of 100 dollars. Now, that was a fortune for a record back then! Today I can probably go down to the local shitty record store (CD store??!!) in the train station in my town and find a CD copy for ten bucks!!

John Carlucci said:

I Love that photo! lol!!! BTW, I dig the Jackets lp. Hope to see you play one of these days!

Oh... and speaking of the old days... let's not forget how hard it was to find some of

the records that are now readily available on CD or the internet these days. I recall hanging out with you & you gave me a cassette of some Screaming Lord Sutch material I had been looking for for ages. I brought down the cassette to Fuzztones rehearsal and suggested we cover Jack The Ripper & All Black & Hairy,

and we did & they became some of my favorite covers we did with the band. both eventually making it on to record. I have since found a vinyl copy of that Lord Sutch record. 

Gringo Starr said:

Just gonna chime in quick here. I grew up in Greg Shaw's 'Cavern Club' in L.A. in the '80s. I saw all the bands playing in those days like the Unclaimed, Pandoras (Paula taught me how to drive!), Gravedigger V, Untold Fables, Thee Fourgiven, The Miracle Workers (who I lived with), Primates, Tell Tale Hearts, etc. Here's a pic of John Carlucci and I (plus some others) at the Cavern in 1986:

• July 17, 2012 9:45 AM CDT
    • I Love that photo! lol!!! BTW, I dig the Jackets lp. Hope to see you play one of these days!

Oh... and speaking of the old days... let's not forget how hard it was to find some of

the records that are now readily available on CD or the internet these days. I recall hanging out with you & you gave me a cassette of some Screaming Lord Sutch material I had been looking for for ages. I brought down the cassette to Fuzztones rehearsal and suggested we cover Jack The Ripper & All Black & Hairy,

and we did & they became some of my favorite covers we did with the band. both eventually making it on to record. I have since found a vinyl copy of that Lord Sutch record. 

Gringo Starr said:

Just gonna chime in quick here. I grew up in Greg Shaw's 'Cavern Club' in L.A. in the '80s. I saw all the bands playing in those days like the Unclaimed, Pandoras (Paula taught me how to drive!), Gravedigger V, Untold Fables, Thee Fourgiven, The Miracle Workers (who I lived with), Primates, Tell Tale Hearts, etc. Here's a pic of John Carlucci and I (plus some others) at the Cavern in 1986:

• July 17, 2012 12:49 PM CDT
    • thank you pulsebeats!!! i thought Die antwoord " i fink you freaky" was gonna be the best video i saw this year. oh this  is awesome. do you know where to find lyrics for it?

whatwave dave said:

That video is hilarious!!!!  Love the animated parts!!!!

The Pulsebeats said:

I've recently come across an ace band from Valencia by the name of La Moto De Fernan by way of this, perhaps one of the best videos I've seen in a long while. Takes me back to the days of Ren & Stimpy!

There's a band coming out of Salford, England right now as well called The Calimocho Club. They're playing stipped back blues like early Black Keys, but before that they Were The Black Knights. Glorious trash blues...and not a bass note in sight.

• July 17, 2012 11:14 AM CDT
    • That video is hilarious!!!!  Love the animated parts!!!!

The Pulsebeats said:

I've recently come across an ace band from Valencia by the name of La Moto De Fernan by way of this, perhaps one of the best videos I've seen in a long while. Takes me back to the days of Ren & Stimpy!

There's a band coming out of Salford, England right now as well called The Calimocho Club. They're playing stipped back blues like early Black Keys, but before that they Were The Black Knights. Glorious trash blues...and not a bass note in sight.

• July 17, 2012 10:05 AM CDT
    • i own a Joyo Tremolo pedal.

i was lured by the cheap price - turns out to be a mighty expensive paper weight.

it kind of does what it's supposed to but overall sounds like crap, hard to dial in.

i heard Joyo clones pedals by famous makers, i don't know what this is a clone of but it's not good.

my suggestion: if you want cheap imported pedals buy used Boss products.

• July 17, 2012 9:42 AM CDT
    • i have bought and sold enough fuzz pedals over the years to rival the entire effect pedal inventory of any Guitar Center store (not really bragging, just sort of a fuzz enthusiast).

one pedal i came across that will give you a very convincing 60's sound is a Catalinbread Merkin Fuzz, here's a youtube clip that's pretty impressive - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMe2Sfe8c9A

i currently own one and it is raw and raspy as all hell (i.e. no smooth fuzz) and has a lot of adjustablilty. they can be found well under $125 used which ain't bad for a very reliable 'boo-teek' pedal.