Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• July 21, 2012 11:47 AM CDT
    • How does that thing sit in a guitar stand?

• July 21, 2012 11:43 AM CDT
    • Looks a bit top-heavy.

• July 21, 2012 7:47 AM CDT
    • ......What about this baby?.....I can't decide.....it SHOULD be cool......and it's a FretKing...and they usually play and sound dead nice.......but somehow....it's just WRONG....what do you think?

• July 21, 2012 6:47 AM CDT
    • Tough call on this one.  The Tonikas look kind of cool compared to the Cort "Axe" guitar above.  But standing on their own, I think I would take a pass if someone offered it to me for free; especially if it was a bad sounding guitar on top of it.  

G. Wood said:

I think those Russian guitars are pretty cool, if somewhat weird, but I've read that they sound and play terrible.

• July 21, 2012 1:38 AM CDT
    • I think those Russian guitars are pretty cool, if somewhat weird, but I've read that they sound and play terrible.

• July 20, 2012 9:59 PM CDT

• Mardy Pune said:

From Russia: Tonika Model EGS-650 electric guitar

• July 20, 2012 9:13 PM CDT
    • From Russia: Tonika Model EGS-650 electric guitar

• July 20, 2012 10:50 AM CDT
    • i posted the longhorn in response to The Mighties  post:

"Is too simple to post uncool metal guitars...let see some garage-like but ugly guitar"

Apparently it's ugly but cool... But i could never get on stage with one. Maybe this one's more Garage P.C...?

• July 21, 2012 9:10 AM CDT
    • I just listened to that the other day.  Thx 4 including.

Old School Hero said:

I played an obscure Glam track on my latest podcast. Good Time Coming by Mustard.

• July 21, 2012 2:43 AM CDT
    • I played an obscure Glam track on my latest podcast. Good Time Coming by Mustard.

• July 20, 2012 4:37 PM CDT
    • I'm going to make the trek to Boston to see them.

• July 21, 2012 7:31 AM CDT
    • I have a soft spot for The Cosmic Vampires....

• July 21, 2012 6:29 AM CDT
    • Slipknot!
      Nah, I kid. I'm going to have to go with the Mummies, GWAR, and Thee Cormans.

• July 20, 2012 10:52 PM CDT
    •  Yeah , as I recall , his exact words were , "Did we stuff? Johnny was Italian , and I'm Jewish , OF COURSE , we did'nt stuff !". In other Schlong Rock NEWS , ALL ARE INVITED TO READ MY REVIEW OF BLACK OAK ARKANSAS' SHOW, IN BEVERLY , ILL. , LAST SUMMER , at www.roctober.com . You'll have to scroll back a ways to find it in the reviews.......

• July 20, 2012 10:07 PM CDT
    • My kitchen and my BOG (We don't say that in the states , but , I think it's hilarious.)are both tiled , but the BOG is too small to record anything but acoustic  which I generally don't do. But , it does have a great echo .

The Blue Giant Zeta Puppies said:

Ha ha! Yeah!

The bog is a great place....(to record!)......I think it's all the tiles.....gives a good reverb sound.....we use a glasshouse......has the same hard flat walls.....

John Battles said:

Yeah , that's the one. I once told Don Craine from The Downliners Sect that I record in my kitchen , as Joe Meek did. He said , Joe Meek actually did most of his recording in THE BOG. He was right , of course.

The Blue Giant Zeta Puppies said:

Yeah.....I think I know the bit you mean.....Joe is questioning (in a very polite and restrained way.......hmmmm....) The Lord about the level for his vocal mic.(?)....they do use it in the ARENA doc.

John Battles said:

I have a documentary on VHS , BUT IT'S A STRAIGHT UP SCREAMING LORD SUTCH Bio . Joe Meek figures into the proceedings , of course , and there's some great home footage of Meek RECORDING THE SAVAGES (Probably also in this Meek/SutchBio.), but it's all about our Lord , which art in Heaven.

• July 20, 2012 7:27 PM CDT
    • Radio What Wave Playlist July 19/2012

A 2.5 hour marathon show, as Ryan In The Red couldn't make it in for his show right after Radio WW....

1. Andy Shernoff....Are You Ready To Rapture?...A song that Adny sent us for last years rapture, which obviously didn't happen despite the hype!

2. Kinks...You Really Got Me....this is the start of our tribute to Jon Lord who passed away the other day. And yes, that's him playing the keyboards on this Kinks anthem!

3. Art Woods...What Shall I Do...from a compilation LP called My Generation on EMI that collected some psych/mod sounds from the mid 60's. This particular track is from 1967, prior Jon Lord forming...

4. Deep Purple...Space Truckin'...from the Machine Head Anniversary 2 CD collection. And this is a slightly different version of this song than what appeared on Machine Head, an LP i played WAY too many times as a young'un! And that wraps up our trib to Jon Lord, the master of the Hammond organ.

5. Magic Christian....Teenage Head...Schizophrenic 7" i picked up at Hits'n'Misses last weekend. Recorded on a really fucking cold day in January 2009 in Hamilton Ontario, prior to a red hot gig that night. At this point, Magic Christian was comprised of Cyril Jordan, Paul Kopf, Eddie Munoz and Clem Burke. For this recording, they were supplemented by Gord Lewis, Dave Rave and Michael Fonfara to make a Super group! There's also a video somewhere out there that shows them actually recording in the studio!

6. The Reply...Midnight Train....from a demo. Toronto mod/soul combo that put on killer live shows!

7. The Hook Up...List Of Diagrams...from their Call Up The Devil CD.

8. Tuerto Loco...Nancy Sinatra...from a live to air on Radio What Wave 5/12/11. And since this show aired, i've been informed that Tuerto Loco is playing this saturday night at the St Regis Hotel in sleepy London Ontario.

9. Evil Eyes...Good As Gold...from their brand new 4 song 7" on BamaLama Records. And Evil Eyes are playing this sunday with our pals The noble Savages at the Casbah in Hamilton Ontario.

10. Evil Eyes...Psycho Daisies...as above.

11. The Leather Uppers...One Eyed Gal...recorded live at The Brunswick Hotel 10/11/91. This was their very first show outside Toronto, and was supposed to be a 2 night stint. But, The Leather Uppers weren't appreciated by the management/drunks at the Brunswick and were asked to leave after only 1 night. Possibly the only band to have this unique honour! And the reason i played The Leather Uppers, is that Classy Craig who was half of the Leather Uppers, is the drummer in the Evil Eyes.

12. Weirdies...Party Over Here...from their In 3D CD from 2008. Killer trio from Toronto.

13. The Zellots...Object...recorded live at The Kent Hotel in Kitchener back in 1980 and it was broadcast over CHRW. I taped it off the radio back then, and you get to reap the benefits 32 years later! The Zellots are re-uniting for our Underground Graphics Show on Oct 26/12. Simon Less was the DJ who did the live recording and played it over the airwaves. Simon is now known as Peter Moore, producer, archivist, masterer, etc...

14. Tyranna...Toronna Boys...late 70's recordings by this Toronto combo and recently released on Rave Up Records outta Italy. This is a Vibrators cover, with a slightly modified title...ie London Girls.

15. The Screwed...Baby Baby...from their CD 1977. Toronto first wave veterans form a band for fun and cover some of their fave tunes from 1977...and it just happens to be a Vibrators cover!

16. Ross Daily...Pump It Up...from a 1995 split 7" with Sockeye. Ross Daily are re-uniting on Friday July 27th at Call The Office with Johnny Terrien and Dan Vapid and The Cheats.

17. Ross Daily... Radio Sucks...from a 7" from 1996 and an apt description of this radio show!

18. Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants...Eyes...from their latest 7", and as mentioned above, they will be on the July 27th show at Call The Office.

19. Jason And The Scorchers...Hot Nights In Georgia...from their 1983 LP, Fervor and goes out to drummer Perry Baggs who passed away last week.

20. Jason And The Scorchers...White Lies...from their 1985 LP, Lost And Found.

21. Jason And The Scorchers...Shot Gun Blues...from their 1986 LP, Still Standing.

22. Dex Romweber Duo...Jungle Drums...from their latest LP, Is That You In The Blue? on Bloodshot Records.

23. Suckerpunch...Witch Doctor...from a split 7" with Armed & Hammered from 1993. Saw this Toronto trio several times at Call The Office here in sleepy London Ontario, and they always put on a great show!! Audio tapes of these shows survive and you might hear them on this show some day.

24. Mojomatics...Cut It Off....from the latest Garagepunk Hideout CD, Supercharged Sounds. Italian duo that must be adding many more musicians in the studio.

25. The Basements...Travel Every Night...from their brand new CD, I'm Dead on Lost In Tyme Records outta Greece.

26. T.H.E....Grilled Cheese...demo from these Londoners who will be playing on monday July 23rd, opening for The Living Deadbeats at Call The Office.

27. Living Deadbeats...Theme Song...from their brand new, vinyl only release that you can pick up at Monday nights show.

28. Living Deadbeats...Time...from the second Garage Punk Hideout compilation CD, Songs The Hideout Taught Us from 5/11.

29. The Crickets...I Fought The Law...original version of the Bobby Fuller 4 hit single. Bobby was killed 46 years ago this past wednesday, so it's time for a BF4 Tribute!!

30. Bobby Fuller 4...Baby My Heart...from the Bobby Fuller Tapes Volume 1 Lp on Voxx Records. Dig the fuzz on the guitar, and this is from 1964!

31. Bobby Fuller 4...Let Her Dance...from The Best Of...on Rhino Records.

32. Bobby Fuller 4...1000 Pound Bee...from the Bobby Fuller Instrumental Album, obviously all instros. You can get tons of Bobby Fuller Four releases on Norton Records.

33. Budokan...Gone Back Home...from the brand new Spin A Little Gold CD and the start of our pop set.

34. The DB's...Neverland...from the 1986 Amplifier LP, which looks like a compilation of earlier tracks. Played this as somewhere on the web, i found a current version of The Db's playing this song and it got stuck in my noggin'.

35. The Master Plan...Find Something Beautiful...from their 2004 CD, Colussus Of Destiny. This features Andy Shernoff (he opened tonight's show) and a coupla Fleshtones; Bill and Keith along with former Fleshtone producer Paul Johnson. Super group indeed!

36. The Bloody 5....New York City....updated version of The Demics classic tune.

37. Blue Demons...Beatnik Bandit...from a brand new 7" on Boppa Do Down Records outta Toronto. 3 piece mask wearing combo who are a lot of fun live.

38. Chelsea Beat...Tiger...from a brand new LP on Killer Diller Records outta New Jersey, but the band is from Quebec.

39. Bad Bad Bad...Fucked Up....from their recent CD. 2 piece outta Halifax who came on Radio WW back in the winter.

40. 3 For 10's....Mr. Fantastic....from a Rainbow Quartz sampler CD. Philly based, these guys came to London about 10 or maybe more years ago and were absolutely devastating live!! Like Syd's Pink Floyd, only heavier and louder.

41. Laughing Sky...Take It...from their brand new 7" and they are from NYC.

42. Terror Lake...Chief Of Staff....from a very recent demo...3 piece outta Toronto.

Monday July 23rd it's The Living Deadbeats, Alcohollys, 44i and T.H.E. at Call The Office...9:30 the first band goes on. See ya there!

Back again next week with more noise and 3 chord thunder...thanx for all the phone-ins, requests, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!!

Here's a link to the podcasts which are up for one week only:

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1800.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1830.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3

• July 20, 2012 4:18 PM CDT
    •  Mark George ,        Well , The British stuff did'nt come cheap , here , either. There was this whole new "Scene" that did'nt get much coverage in the states. I did play a lot of it on my old radio show in Dallas in '86. I may have been one of the first DJs to play that stuff in The U.S.

I played The Meteors , Guana Batz , etc. , too , alonside The Stingrays, who were mistaken for a Psychobilly band , because of the quiffs and  the standup bass. Bal said "Garage , Trash , Psychobilly , it's all the same thing. It's American music , and Americans don't understand it".   I COULD'NT find a lot of that stuff , yet , I loved the "Rockabilly Psychosis and The Garage Disease" and "Revenge of The Killer Pussies " albums . The Psychobilly thing seemed fresh at the time. I found The Washington Dead Cats' EARLY CASSETTE . They're still going , still terribly silly. But , this tape combined Psychedelia , Psychobilly , and a bit of Pere Ubu ,and , it worked .I still like it , and still have the psychedelic pattern shirt it came with !     Some of those other  bands , Prisoners, Vibes , Escalators , X-Men....Took a few years to find them , but , their records were much cheaper , by then.

Mark George Harrison said:

As a 16 year old rockabilly/psychobilly in 1980 on £28 a week after giving my mum £10 a week board, there wasn't much money left for records, especially as beer was 50p a pint! I wasn't aware of a garage revival as such until much later, bands like the Stingrays and the X-men all had quiffs and crossed in to the rocking scene without ever using the 'g' word. The Vibes, later the Purple Things, also were be-quiffed! Im not sure when garage came to be used to differentiate between the scenes, it's a question Ive had with several people of similar ages who were there as well.  

You young whippersnappers don't know how lucky you are with the internet, everything now is accesible. Press coverage was sparse to say the least and apart from a few 'bigger' bands American garage was pretty hard to get hold of and bloody expensive if you could find it, a collecion took years to build up and not a couple of hours downloading from the web.

Anyway, for me, the best garage bands available to me at the time were the Vibes/Purple things, Stingrays, Tall Boys, Prisoners, Turkey Bones and the wild dogs(check out goldfish and helicopter man). Always found the Milkshakes a bit too 'beat' for me but like later Childish bands. The garage goodies vol 1 album was probably the best British comp at the time as well. Hope this answers the question?

• July 20, 2012 1:53 PM CDT
    • Prima Donna and Biters.

• July 20, 2012 10:47 AM CDT
    • Wounded Lion and Ty Segall are great. Will have to check out The Honeybadgers I don't know them. I just bought the new Atomic Suplex LP on Crypt and that's a monster, well worth getting hold of. The new ones by Cheap Time and The Intelligence on In The Red are both excellent too.

Robby Adams said:

Thee Cormans (rad surf trash), The Honeybadgers (loshoneybadgers.com), Wounded Lion (reminds me of Wire), Ty Segal (lofi garagey) to name a few. Some aren't new-new, but maybe you haven't heard them.

• July 20, 2012 10:43 AM CDT
    • Thee Cormans (rad surf trash), The Honeybadgers (loshoneybadgers.com), Wounded Lion (reminds me of Wire), Ty Segal (lofi garagey) to name a few. Some aren't new-new, but maybe you haven't heard them.

• July 20, 2012 11:12 AM CDT
    • The Greenhornes Loving in the Sun / Your body, not your soul.

Amazing. The version of Loving in the Sun (A side) is the garage rock stomper (as opposed to the laid back acoustic version you hear most often). But the B side is the real corker. Their cover of Cubby + Blizzards "your body, not your soul" is simply my favorite cover song ever. And the sleeve is a nice recreation of the original from 1965.

• July 20, 2012 10:50 AM CDT
    • I am all about raw Duo projects and one man bands.  Flat Duo Jets are the best!  I just saw Dexter play another show by himself and with his full band The New Romans this past month and it never gets old. He is just flat out great at what he does wether he is in a duo, by himself, or in a 8 piece band.    

kopper said:

Two of my favorite bands of all time had no bass: 

Flat Duo Jets & Bantam Rooster

Oblivians, too (they were a 3-piece, two guitars & drums, though).

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few others, too (I always do).

You can do without it just fine. 'Nuff said.

• July 20, 2012 10:14 AM CDT
    • Love this one, first heard it in a garage girls comp.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

But of course!  Wake up to a song (either language) about waking up.

PERSIAN CLAWS said:

Either:

Or: