Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• July 23, 2012 1:22 PM CDT
    • Hey all, I am excited to join this lovely community. I'm Kirby and I am here on behalf of The Whistle Tips. We are a Surf Punk band hailing from Brooklyn, NY with a strong emphasis on 60s garage sound. We are a relatively new band but have been hitting the Brooklyn circuit hard as of late.

Something we've noticed in the recent months is a strong grunge revival in NYC, and no offense to any grunge bands or lovers but we want to bring back the dirty garage shows that were so common the last few years. Maybe its because the novelty of budget rock wore off and all the cool kids want to revisit 90s nihilism, but we wanna rocknroll!

Our big aim is to connect with as many locals and touring bands in the states as possible and flood the scene with unforgiving fuzz and I figured this was a perfect place to connect and keep things moving.

Our big influences range from Man or Astro-Man to The Reatards, not necessary to list all of em but we live it fast, dirty, and surfy. Don't be shy, reach out to us! We are constantly booking shows and looking for acts to headline or open, we also want to keep house shows alive so I am hoping that anyone interested with join us in our conquest of Brooklyn and NYC.

So much talent on here and I can't wait to dig deeper.

All our love,

The Whistle Tips

thewhistletips.bandcamp.com

• July 23, 2012 12:16 PM CDT
    • Not all flower punk, but all worth checking out: Bare Wires, Mikal Cronin, Jack of Heart and Regal (from France), Dead Ghosts, Harlem, Indian Wars, Sic Alps, Fresh and Onlys, The Hussy, White Fence, The UV Race (from Australia, Wobbly Lamps, Wounded Lion, Submarine Races, Eddy Current Suppression Ring (from Australia), Tyvek, Nobunny, Hunx and his Punx, Shannon and the Clams, Unnatural Helpers, Useless Eaters, King Lollipop, The Pharmacy, The Mantles, The Beets, OBN IIIs......

• July 23, 2012 12:05 PM CDT
    • Jacuzzi Boys, Thee Oh Sees, Davila 666...

• July 22, 2012 11:45 AM CDT
    • try "Acid baby Jesus" or maby go back a few years to "Jacques Dutronc".

• July 23, 2012 11:36 AM CDT
    • The Trip! July 22nd Show!

Hey kids, give this week's show a listen! http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20120722-0030-t1342913400.mp3

The setlist:

THE GO-NUTS  LET'S BRING CHEESE TO CHINA 

THE CLIFF DWELLERS  HO HO LAUGHING MONSTER 
      BOB BUNNY  THE JOKER
      ERNIE CHAFFIN  LAUGHIN' AND JOKING 
      CRESCENDOS  HAWK WALK 
      JAN DAVIS  WATUSI ZOMBIE 
      GANIM'S ASIA MINORS  DADDY LOLO 

DEEP PURPLE  LAZY 
      DEEP PURPLE  SPEED KING 
      DEEP PURPLE  BURN 
      JUNIOR WELLS  LITTLE BY LITTLE 
      R.L. BURNSIDE  HIGHWAY  7 
      KENNY BROWN  COCAINE BILL 
      JOHN MAYALL & BLUESBKERS  THE DEATH OF J.B. LENOIR
      THE FABS  DINAH WANTS RELIGION 
      LAVERN BAKER  VOODOO VOODOO 
      THE MARKS  HIGH HEEL SNEAKERS 
      MAD DADDYS  SO MACHO 
      THE SPARKLES  OH GIRLS, GIRLS 
      NICK CURRAN & THE LOWLIFES  DR. VELVET 
      MONTY PYTHON  EVERY SPERM IS SACRED 

• July 23, 2012 8:04 AM CDT
    • Gorilla is one of the worst, and they are RELENTLESS!They organize events here at least 2 times a year and still manage to fill their roster with bands. I am especially disappointed in the clubs that support these scams, just to make their own buck. They are what's wrong with our local music scene.

• July 22, 2012 10:46 PM CDT
    • EVEN RINGO STARR STOPPED BRIEFLY , BEFORE EMBARKING ON A QUEST TO BE A MAJOR TOOL TO TO HIS FANS , TO SIGN AN OLD BEATLES BUBBLEGUM CARD FOR BON. THAT'S HOW MUCH THE WORLD LOVES HER.

• July 23, 2012 6:03 AM CDT
    • Hi Tim,

I'm seeing Ty Segall in Tufnell Park next Thursday, is that where you are going? 

Cheers, Coop

Tim said:

Came across a band called Boneyards recently who are from Brighton, England, and they sound REALLY good. I think they sound sort of garagey punk, trashy, lofish with a pleasant hint of surf.

Check them out!

http://boneyaards.tumblr.com/

I'd be interested to hear what people think.

Think they are pretty new and I only came across them because they are listed as support for Ty Segal who i'm seeing next week.

By the way this is exactly the sort of thread that I love this site for. Mmmmmm new bands!

Although some peoples definition of new is a bit.... well.... old... but I'll stop myself there so I don't become a meany.

• July 23, 2012 5:57 AM CDT
    • Came across a band called Boneyards recently who are from Brighton, England, and they sound REALLY good. I think they sound sort of garagey punk, trashy, lofish with a pleasant hint of surf.

Check them out!

http://boneyaards.tumblr.com/

I'd be interested to hear what people think.

Think they are pretty new and I only came across them because they are listed as support for Ty Segal who i'm seeing next week.

By the way this is exactly the sort of thread that I love this site for. Mmmmmm new bands!

Although some peoples definition of new is a bit.... well.... old... but I'll stop myself there so I don't become a meany.

• July 23, 2012 4:12 AM CDT
    • Thank you sir, you're too kind! Can't wait to rock all over Hinckley again soon!!!x

Trash Freak said:

THE MOBBS! http://garagepunk.ning.com/profile/TheMobbs

Fellow East-Midlanders (England), raucous, retro, rocketfuelled Britishness, like the Kinks on Crack! Great live.

• July 22, 2012 10:56 PM CDT
    • oo!oo!      "RIP OFF" IS KINDA HARSH , BUT , I THINK YOU'RE RIGHT , AS FAR AS GILLAN LEARNING HIS SHRILL SCREAMS , IN WHOLE OR IN PART, FROM ARTHUR BROWN. sCREAMING IN TUNE!!!!  Arthur is out playing , again , with a new version of The Crazy World. When i SAW HIM IN '86 , HE HAD SOME YOUNGER GUYS THAT DID THE EARLY STUFF JUSTICE. (THE OPENING BAND WAS MOST OF MOUSE AND THE TRAPS , BUT , DOING R'N'B STANDARDS. NOT TOO EXCITING.).  IN FACT , THEY DID ALMOST ALL OF THE FIRST ALBUM , PLUS "THE TELL - TALE HEART" , "EYESIGHT TO TEH BLIND", "SPEAKNOTECH" AND OTHERS.  hE DID A STUPENDOUS "GREEN MANALISHI (WITH THE TWO PRONGED CROWN) " ON A PETER GREEN TRIBUTE , SEVERAL YARS AGO. MAKES AN ASS OF PRIEST'S VERSION.

DO YIU MIND ? DO YOU MIIIIIIIIIIND?!".

Gunther Toody said:

I can't tell you how much Arthur Brown and that first album mean to me...THE CRAZY WORLD OF ARTHUR BROWN was one of the first 10 albums I ever bought as a kid. There was an article with great color pics of Arthur live in EYE magazine and the cool colorful cover of the LP and that was all my adolescent mind needed to invest my saved lunch money in what has to be the most psychedelic 60's rock record with no guitar on it. Vincent Crane was amazing and the weird strings and horns that pop in occasionally are really cool. Anybody else hear the rumor that Pete Townsend played the bass in a last minute time crunch? And does anybody else think that Deep Purple's Ian Gillian kinda ripped off Arthur's distintive screamin' technique? Which is rarer...the Atlantic issues or the Track issues?

• July 22, 2012 12:04 PM CDT
    • I've been under the impression for the last 33 years or so that the best 45 of all time is "Surrender" b/w "Auf Weidersehen" by CHEAP TRICK. 

I can't think of the BRIDES without thinking of the time they played a matinee show up here in Green Bay and Ross and the boys got busted for drinking in the parking lot...by a BIKE COP. They were just sitting there, sheepishly, while a man in bicycle shorts dutifully wrote them a ticket in broad daylight. That took a little of the edge off their swagger that show, that's fo' sho'. I always thought their best song was their cover of "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love" by SOLOMON BURKE.

• July 22, 2012 11:17 AM CDT
    • Pam and the Passions - Summertime

Eastern Dark - Johnny and dee Dee

Siouxsie & The Banshees - Hong Kong Garden

Ramones - Blitzkreig Bop

Plunderers - Didnt see them

Dillinger - Chinese Soul Train

Doom Town - Walking through walls

Modern Pets - Plastic Mind

A10 - Badly Burned

Hellacopters - City Slang

Goodbye Johnnys - Night will fall

• July 22, 2012 11:04 AM CDT
    • I was around the London scene at that time, Hoodoo Gurus were the kings for me !!! Always loved the Cramps, Stems and The Prisoners, Long Ryders also played some great shows in that period. Always felt Milkshakes, Cannibals, Turkey Bones, Guana Batz et al were not very good, no memorable songs but the gigs were always a drunken laugh :)

• July 21, 2012 1:27 PM CDT

• Forgot the Escalators JB, another Meteors offshoot although I remember reading that Nigel Lewis was on a lot of high dosage meds for a back complaint and when he was more compus mentus disowned their entire output!

The blood on the cats, all four of them, were a weird combination of rockabilly, psychobilly, garage and goth! With a bit of punk on there for good measure with the Belfasts finest the Outcasts wrongly credited as the Outcats! Worth buying for the Wigs 'thirteen lines' took me until about ten years ago to find a copy of the Wigs ep, was told it didnt exist by a respected collector!

Albums today are probably cheaper than they were then, its singles that are bloody dear! is that the case in the States? An average 45 here is about £4.50 but an album is usually between £10 and £13.50 or there abouts. sorry to get off track but as an 'old timer' its my perogative!;)
      John Battles said:

Mark George ,        Well , The British stuff did'nt come cheap , here , either. There was this whole new "Scene" that did'nt get much coverage in the states. I did play a lot of it on my old radio show in Dallas in '86. I may have been one of the first DJs to play that stuff in The U.S.

I played The Meteors , Guana Batz , etc. , too , alonside The Stingrays, who were mistaken for a Psychobilly band , because of the quiffs and  the standup bass. Bal said "Garage , Trash , Psychobilly , it's all the same thing. It's American music , and Americans don't understand it".   I COULD'NT find a lot of that stuff , yet , I loved the "Rockabilly Psychosis and The Garage Disease" and "Revenge of The Killer Pussies " albums . The Psychobilly thing seemed fresh at the time. I found The Washington Dead Cats' EARLY CASSETTE . They're still going , still terribly silly. But , this tape combined Psychedelia , Psychobilly , and a bit of Pere Ubu ,and , it worked .I still like it , and still have the psychedelic pattern shirt it came with !     Some of those other  bands , Prisoners, Vibes , Escalators , X-Men....Took a few years to find them , but , their records were much cheaper , by then.

Mark George Harrison said:

As a 16 year old rockabilly/psychobilly in 1980 on £28 a week after giving my mum £10 a week board, there wasn't much money left for records, especially as beer was 50p a pint! I wasn't aware of a garage revival as such until much later, bands like the Stingrays and the X-men all had quiffs and crossed in to the rocking scene without ever using the 'g' word. The Vibes, later the Purple Things, also were be-quiffed! Im not sure when garage came to be used to differentiate between the scenes, it's a question Ive had with several people of similar ages who were there as well.  

You young whippersnappers don't know how lucky you are with the internet, everything now is accesible. Press coverage was sparse to say the least and apart from a few 'bigger' bands American garage was pretty hard to get hold of and bloody expensive if you could find it, a collecion took years to build up and not a couple of hours downloading from the web.

Anyway, for me, the best garage bands available to me at the time were the Vibes/Purple things, Stingrays, Tall Boys, Prisoners, Turkey Bones and the wild dogs(check out goldfish and helicopter man). Always found the Milkshakes a bit too 'beat' for me but like later Childish bands. The garage goodies vol 1 album was probably the best British comp at the time as well. Hope this answers the question?

• July 22, 2012 8:52 AM CDT
    • One of my songs, "Bird of North America," uses the stomp ending. But I have this big track of bird screams that starts up a little bit before the stomp, and continues after it. http://undercoverbonobos.bandcamp.com/

Most songs just hit the key chord and fade, I guess. Then there's the double-time fade, the big scream, instrumental coda fade...er... there must be more...

• July 21, 2012 7:56 PM CDT
    • i don't really know how fun this will be, but let's try it....

there are several ways to end a song, and how you end it might affect how people remember it... so give the ending's style a good name, and then describe it too. and if you have a song (or several) that use that style name them, and a link to it if you want to really get into it.

one of my favorites is the " stomp" ending. i named it that because it makes me feel like you put your foot down. the song is over. done. next. applaud.

the "stomp" ending is usually at end of a chorus. where the last chord, symbol, (and word) of the song are all at the same time, then muted immediately.

the example i have stuck in my head is "fell in love with a girl" by the white stripes. the funny part is i had a hard time finding an example of them doing the this way live, so here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q27BfBkRHbs

• July 22, 2012 6:28 AM CDT
    • It actually worries me that I can remember this kind of stuff, but I have a feeling that the short-lived band you're thinking of was called Shooting Gallery. Think it was Andy McCoy, Tregunna, the singer was a guy called Billy Bang (? okay, I might have made that bit up), and Jo Dog from Dogs D'Amour was in them for a bit, too. Never heard them or saw them live, so quite why I remember this trivia is beyond me. Probably because I was a big Hanoi Rocks fan, saw them a couple of times in their prime, once at the Electric Ballroom in Camden with a band called Ligotage supporting, whose singer was Beki Bondage from Vice Squad, who were pursuing a similar punk/glam sound.

I guess glam is at the root of it all for me, growing up in Seventies Britain. 'Blockbuster' and 'Hellraiser' by the Sweet were my first two 45s, and seeing Bowie in Top Of The Pops doing 'Starman' left an indelible impression. Funny, though, how bands like Sweet and Slade get referred to as 'bricklayers in eyeshadow' by the early punks (I'm thinking of people like Siouxsie, here), unlike the artier Bowie and Roxy Music.  

John Battles said:

PROBABLY. tHE ONLY PEOPLE i'VE HEARD TALK ABOUT THEM HAD LIVED IN FINLAND. Andy had , or has , a dysfunctional Rock 'n'Roll "Reality TV' show , liek the Osbournes and The $immon$  family.     I saw Andy twice in '88 WITH iGGY pOP , BUT , i THINK THAT'S THE ONLY U.S TOUR HE'S DONE SINCE THE ABORTIVE AND POORLY PROMOTED US TOUR WHICH ENDED , AS I'M SURE YOU ALL KNOW , IN DRUMMER , RAZZLE'S DEATH WITH VINCE NEAL AT THE WHEEL (HE COULD'NT HAVE SENT OUT FOR BEER?). NO , WAIT , THERE WAS ANOTHER BAND. I FORGET THEIR NAME. HIM , DAVE TREGUNNA OR Kenny Laguna, THE GUY FROM lORDS AND sHAM 69. MAYBE NASTY SUICIDE , TOO? They were at China Club , and I refused to go there.

Duke Of Earl said:

I heard 2 pelle albums but never the one with Andy Mccoy. Apparently they were finnish only releases. 

The Fnords said:

Pelle Miljoona was Andy McCoy's best-known pre-Hanoi Rocks band; I've none of their records though. D.

• July 22, 2012 3:04 AM CDT
    • I fucked up the embed of the Sharon Jones video when I originally posted. Just fixed it.

• July 22, 2012 2:42 AM CDT
    • Just heard they covered this song on it with Quintron and Miss P.  What I'm imagining is the best song I've heard in years.