Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• July 13, 2012 5:20 PM CDT
    • Radio What Wave Playlist for July 12/2012

1. Cub...Here Comes The Summer....from the Undertones tribute LP, oddly named, Here Comes The Summer on Munster Records 1995.

2. Shangri-Las....Great Big Kiss....1964 girl group fun.

3. Photoroman... Pourquoi...Montreal combo single from earlier this year.

4. Persian Claws...Mysterious Mystery...from a demo they sent us, north eastern US combo who sometimes make it up to Montreal

5. Alcohollys...Girls Night...from their CD, entitled EP. Local combo who are playing tonight at Call The Office.

6. Terminal Wallys....Heartache...from The New Old School CD from 2007. They are playing with The Alcohollys at Call The Office.

7. Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants...Eyes...from their latest 7".

8. The Diodes...City Of The Dead...from the Action/Reaction CD on Bongobeat Records.

9. Weirdonia...1960's Antique Clock...from their Freaks CD. Windsor Ontario based 2 piece.

10. Bloodshot Bill...Out The Door...from his latest 7" on Transistor 66 Records outta Winnipeg.

11. Astronuts...In Orbit...from the cassette Let's Splash Down With The Astronuts. Released in 1993, The Astronuts were from Montreal and might contain former Gruesomes, Ray Condo's Goners and a Cryptic, but then again, maybe not.

12. Wilko Johnson...Casting My Spell...from a 1981 single on Nighthawk Records. Wilko says that there is a documentary out on him. If anyone can post a link to it, that would be great. For those that don't know, Wilko Johnson was the original guitarist for UK pub rockers, Dr. Feelgood.

13. A Bones...Drive In...from Smiles, Vibes and Harmony, A Tribute To Brian Wilson LP from 1990. This is on De Milo Records outta NYC and contains a ton of cool Beach Boy covers, including this next song....

14. Billy Childish and Thee Headcoats....409

15. Oily Birds...Love Me Till The Sun Shines...from a Radio WW broadcast from 4/29/10.

16. Tenement 13...The Garden...demo from 7/22/83. Tenement 13 were really The Hippies (early 80's London combo) with a slightly different name.

17. Budokan...The Right On Girl...from the Spin A Little Gold CD. Victoria BC based power poppers.

18. Gerry Smith...Our Days Go By...aka Will The Circle...from a CD released in 2007. Gerry was in original Toronto punkers Tyranna and later, Naugahyde Five. This is his story of growing up and absorbing the rock'n'roll essence at a young age.

19. Howlin' Wolf...Evil....1954 recording and the start of our blues set as there is a blues fest going on in London this weekend. All of these blues acts have a few things in common; they are all dead, none of them will be at this weekend's blues fest, all of them are fucking cool and all of them will rock harder than any act at the blues fest.

20. King Biscuit Boy... Georgia Slop..from the Mouth Of Steel LP from 1984. Hamilton Ontario harp player that was highly regarded in the blues community.

21. Hound Dog Taylor...Give Me Back My Wig...form his self titled 1971 LP on Alligator. The Cramps borrowed some of their early sounds from Hound Dog and The Houserockers as these Chicago-ites patented the 2 guitars, drums and no bass sound!

22. Fred McDowell and Johnny Woods...Shake 'Em On Down...from the 1969 compilation LP, Memphis Swamp Jam. Double LP on Blue Thumb Records that was recorded at Ardent Studios, where Big Star recorded.

23. Jason And The Scorchers...Absolutely Sweet Marie...from the double live CD Midnight Roads and Stages Seen. This goes out to Perry Bagges who passed away earlier the day this show aired. Next week we'll play some more Jason and The Scorchers.

24. Dark Rags...Sun Shines...from the latest Lost In Tyme Compilation, #6.

25. The Living Deadbeats...Hey Girl...from their self titled debut 12". We finally got to see this band live, and they live up to the hype and rock out as expected! They'll be back in London on Monday July 23rd with 44i, T.H.E. and The Alcohollys at Call The Office.

26. Rock'n'Roll Monkey and The Robots...Too Fast...from the latest Garagepunk Hideout compilation CD, Supercharged Sounds.

27. Fill Spectre...Commando....from the Scare Your Friends CD. This could be one of The Pow Wows doing solo stuff in his bedroom.

28. The Hook Up...65 Has No Blues...from the Call Up The Devil CD...had to cut this one short as we ran outta time...

Back again next week with more noise and 3 chord thunder...thanx for all the phone-ins, requests, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!!

Here's a link to the podcasts which are up for one week only:

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1800.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1830.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3

• July 13, 2012 2:48 PM CDT
    • Show #382: "The Eggman Collection #116"

Every 3 weeks I do a series of shows called The Eggman Collection which is a big potpourri of every song I've ever liked in my life...EVER! It's literally a huge mixing bowl full of songs written onto tiny pieces of paper. Over 15,000 songs that I've been compiling for the past 20-plus years of my life. Every song I've ever liked has gone into this bowl, and every three weeks I draw them out one-by-one and play them for you in no particular order. A mix of everything and anything I like, no matter what genre, era, style or year of release...if I like it, then I'll play it! No repeats of the same song ever! Tune in tonight (Friday) at 10pm EST for the 116th installment of The Eggman Collection and hear bands and artists like: Santana, The McCoys, Napoleon XIV, The Others, Concrete Rubber Band, Pink Fairies, Majority One, Neu!, Hunger, Ars Nova, The Champs, Groep 1850, The Pretty Things, Curtiss Maldoon, Agnes Strange, Suicide, Love, The New York Rock & Roll Ensemble, Pale Fire, Can, and many others!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show by "liking it" on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• July 13, 2012 2:15 PM CDT
    • Hate to sound like I'm swingin' fer both teams but my current garage-slop band, the Get Wets, started out as just bass, organ & drums (NO guitars allowed)...we wailed & the bassist often usta fuzz out this sound (as did the organ-pounder)

...fast-forward to now, same band but different instrumentation: baritone sax, baritone guitar & drums (NO bass no mo')...it sounds mighty trashy in a how-low-can-ya-go sorta low-end-bop but not a bassist to be found...even tho in a perfect party world I'd love to have a bass (& combo-organ fer that matter) back in the mix we really don't miss 'em...

Last Night said:

What about a bariton guitar ?

• July 13, 2012 1:37 PM CDT
    • I was in a band back in the 90's called Headbutt. We had four bassists and four drummers playing lumps of metal broken cymbals and floor toms. We put out several singles and a few lps. Now that was insane!

• July 12, 2012 3:09 PM CDT
    • if they have a biiiiiiiig subby bassdrum ... well, then i don`t care ;-)

but honestly: with a bass player in your band you look more sexy, hehe.

CHEERS

• July 13, 2012 12:48 PM CDT
    • Ha ha! Yeah!

The bog is a great place....(to record!)......I think it's all the tiles.....gives a good reverb sound.....we use a glasshouse......has the same hard flat walls.....

John Battles said:

Yeah , that's the one. I once told Don Craine from The Downliners Sect that I record in my kitchen , as Joe Meek did. He said , Joe Meek actually did most of his recording in THE BOG. He was right , of course.

The Blue Giant Zeta Puppies said:

Yeah.....I think I know the bit you mean.....Joe is questioning (in a very polite and restrained way.......hmmmm....) The Lord about the level for his vocal mic.(?)....they do use it in the ARENA doc.

John Battles said:

I have a documentary on VHS , BUT IT'S A STRAIGHT UP SCREAMING LORD SUTCH Bio . Joe Meek figures into the proceedings , of course , and there's some great home footage of Meek RECORDING THE SAVAGES (Probably also in this Meek/SutchBio.), but it's all about our Lord , which art in Heaven.

• July 12, 2012 11:50 PM CDT
    • Yeah , that's the one. I once told Don Craine from The Downliners Sect that I record in my kitchen , as Joe Meek did. He said , Joe Meek actually did most of his recording in THE BOG. He was right , of course.

The Blue Giant Zeta Puppies said:

Yeah.....I think I know the bit you mean.....Joe is questioning (in a very polite and restrained way.......hmmmm....) The Lord about the level for his vocal mic.(?)....they do use it in the ARENA doc.

John Battles said:

I have a documentary on VHS , BUT IT'S A STRAIGHT UP SCREAMING LORD SUTCH Bio . Joe Meek figures into the proceedings , of course , and there's some great home footage of Meek RECORDING THE SAVAGES (Probably also in this Meek/SutchBio.), but it's all about our Lord , which art in Heaven.

• July 12, 2012 1:56 PM CDT
    • The documentary is great. Be sure to also check out these two totally cool 1966 live clips from a French TV show. Lord Sutch rules!

• July 13, 2012 6:35 AM CDT
    • This is awesome!

• July 12, 2012 5:44 PM CDT
    • i JUST COULD'NT COME TO TERMS , AT THE TIME , WITH SEEING THE RAMONES AT A HUGE THING LIKE LOLLAPALOOZA OR "ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK". NOT THAT THEY HAVE'NT DONE MAYBE ONE HUGE FESTIVAL (LIKE THE US FEST) IN AMERICA FOR EVERY , I DUNNO , 30 (?) THEY DID IN THE UK , EUROPE , SOUTH AMERICA , ETC......BUT , I REALIZE NOW , IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A VERY COOL THING.    i went to lollapalooza a few years ago , mainly to see Roky Erickson and Patti Smith. I was blown away by how well - run everything was , no teeming masses to grapple with , sure there were a zillion people , but , not all situated in the same postage stamp - sized space. The sound was actually very good (Regina Spektor's people complained that Roky and The Explosives - who supposedly broke the volume record for the festival (After The Ramones , Metallica , Soundgarden  , etc.?) - were too loud to be playing 90 yards from her stage. THERE WAS NO WAY they were 90 yards from anything , except maybe the ice cream stand ! This actually made the news !!!) , and the people were actually very nice and helpful . The food was'nt even that expensive. It was my first one , probably my last , but a good experience , surprisingly enough.).

Jason Feldmann said:

Hey. I remember thinking the same thing. The guys from Rancid, Rage and others just filled the wings of the stage watching Joey and the guys do their thing. In fact, the band that plugged in just before the Ramones was Rancid. Tim walked to the mic (and this is when Rancid was SUPER fucking popular and on MTV and all that crap) and he said something like "the only reason we're here is b/c we get to play with one of the best fucking bands in the world - the Ramones!!!" Still one of my all-time favorite shows. Drove from Cincinnati to Tennessee b/c it was one of only 4 dates that Rage Against the Machine played. great to see them, rancid, melvins, screaming trees... even soundgarden and metallica weren't "bad."

Dalevis said:

I saw them on that Lollapalooza tour in Rockingham, NC. What struck me about that show was that guys from all the other bands were at the side of the stage watching the Ramones.

I was introduced to the Ramones by the End of the Century album by MTV of all things. I still have that one memorized. Whatever I could find I would buy. I didnt grow up with the benefit of hipster hindsight. I bought an album like Animal Boy when it was released and I loved it.

• July 12, 2012 5:32 PM CDT
    • THAT'S BECAUSE THEY COULD'NT BE TOUCHED. EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES ON STAGE , I'VE SEEN THAT HAPPEN WITH THEM , TOO , BUT , OVERALL , THEY WERE STILL GENERATING MORE EXCITEMENT THAN ANYONE I REMEMBER SEEING AT THE TIME....

Of course , my older friends , and even my Sister - in - Law , will tell me 76 - 79 WAS THE TIME TO SEE THEM. I WAS A KID !!!   THE RAMONES WERE RECLAIMING ROCK'N'ROLL FOR THE KIDS , BUT , THEIR MISSION WAS FAR FROM ACCOMPLISHED .  

20 YEARS LATER , MY THEN - TWO YEAR OLD GODCHILD WAS DANCING AROUND THE ROOM THE SECOND ANY RAMONES SONG CAME ON , AND PLAYING "RIFF RANDALL" AND "ANGEL DUST" WITH HER BARBIES - "I'M FIRST IN LINE!". Mission Accomplished.

Jason Feldmann said:

I love the Ramones. And no, they didn't jump the shark.  I only saw them once... at Lolapalooza 1996 of all places in Tennessee... and they still had it. Sweltering 90 degree heat and they still rocked the Converse, blue jean, black T shirt, black leather jacket look. The best sound.

I dig most of their stuff, even the later stuff. But "My brain is hanging upside down" from Animal Boy is one that comes to mind form the later years. And heck, the whole "Adios Amigos" LP is a fine listen.

• July 12, 2012 12:50 PM CDT
    • Hey. I remember thinking the same thing. The guys from Rancid, Rage and others just filled the wings of the stage watching Joey and the guys do their thing. In fact, the band that plugged in just before the Ramones was Rancid. Tim walked to the mic (and this is when Rancid was SUPER fucking popular and on MTV and all that crap) and he said something like "the only reason we're here is b/c we get to play with one of the best fucking bands in the world - the Ramones!!!" Still one of my all-time favorite shows. Drove from Cincinnati to Tennessee b/c it was one of only 4 dates that Rage Against the Machine played. great to see them, rancid, melvins, screaming trees... even soundgarden and metallica weren't "bad."

Dalevis said:

I saw them on that Lollapalooza tour in Rockingham, NC. What struck me about that show was that guys from all the other bands were at the side of the stage watching the Ramones.

I was introduced to the Ramones by the End of the Century album by MTV of all things. I still have that one memorized. Whatever I could find I would buy. I didnt grow up with the benefit of hipster hindsight. I bought an album like Animal Boy when it was released and I loved it.

• July 12, 2012 12:24 PM CDT
    • I saw them on that Lollapalooza tour in Rockingham, NC. What struck me about that show was that guys from all the other bands were at the side of the stage watching the Ramones.

• July 12, 2012 4:30 PM CDT
    • The Friggs, from NY, I guess. Or Palmyra Delran's band. They/she are Hideout members, but not very active, I think.

• July 12, 2012 4:13 PM CDT
    • My (Brendan, of The Pygmies [I specifiy this because a few of us use this profile])Favorite around Alberta (Canada) is definitely The Ketamines.

Check them out and other great bands on the monster garage label Mammoth Cave Recordings, out of Lethbridge, Alberta (Canada)

Here's a great video for the first song off their full length LP Spaced Out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkG64thS9VU

• July 12, 2012 10:40 AM CDT
    • As Portsmouth is "my city", and the only Garage band to come from there (of any note) would be the Green Hornets, but the Vendetta period. After that they were a little too "pop" for my taste.

• July 12, 2012 9:59 AM CDT
    • In Toronto, some of my current favorites are the PowWows, Evil Eyes, Leather Uppers (who just played a show recently, so I guess they are current?), Primordials, BBQ (now lives in Toronto), .... all I can think of for now.

Ottawa and Montreal have better "garage" bands. Toronto seems to have better punk/ hardcore/ metal bands.

• July 12, 2012 9:58 AM CDT
    • Understanding that this is my band account for Thick Shakes... I think I would pick

Radio Control from Boston, MA, or Triple Thick (Who are on the Hideout, I believe).

• July 12, 2012 9:37 AM CDT
    • So, bands local to you. Signed or unsigned, current or past?

Mines would be The Kosher Pickles from Glasgow, Scotland.

• July 12, 2012 3:17 PM CDT
    • The Spits !

does Angus Young count also? ;-)

• July 12, 2012 3:06 PM CDT
    • ROCKS au circuit !!!!

• July 12, 2012 12:56 PM CDT
    • Haha! Like the guy playing it (only kidding Mr Batio!)

I've actually played BC Rich's that were quite good instruments (at what they do) albeit awful looking things and those JEM thingies sure play super fast but sound super terrible.

Lets face it, all ya really need is vol/tone controls and nothing beats a well set up Bigsby if you're fond of wiggle sticks...

• July 12, 2012 12:10 PM CDT
    • Waveclipper, you've raised the bar. It's an uncool guitar with excessive unnecessary features.