Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• July 8, 2012 3:10 AM CDT
    • I have the joyo vintage overdrive - it really is bloody great, I leave it on all the time for a nice amount of grit before a variety of fuzzes. Get one - and even if you don't like it it costs bugger all for such a good sounding pedal. got mine on ebay for $50 - I think.
      I've also got the joyo dyna compressor - used it on bass to good effect but haven't really given it a thorough going over.
      The pedals are solid and well made, as good as many 'boutique' pedal.

• July 8, 2012 2:58 AM CDT
    • sticky fingers is being a little overlooked here,cant you hear me knockin and sway are on it ffs,and yeah everyones always goin on about exile being the best record ever made.....probably 'cos it is.

• July 7, 2012 11:13 PM CDT
    • The Keggs 7'' on Orbit from 1967 with To Find Out/Girl. I'll post more 60's double sided killers when I think of more.

• July 7, 2012 7:41 PM CDT
    • I'LL KEEP THAT IN MIND , FOR SURE ,  BUT , I THINK THE CHEAPEST I'VE SEEN IT WAS MAYBE $69.99 .

whatwave dave said:

And worth every cent for the stupid grin it puts on my face every time i play I Can't Hardly Stand It  or   The Way I Walk    or Drug Train   or...the list goes on. Way better sound then the original LP's i've owned since they came out.

I was able to get it for $80 Canadian  when it came out, so theoretically it should be way cheaper in Chicago....

John Battles said:

I KNOW I SHOULD , but , Hey , Seuss! IT'S LIKE , $80.

whatwave dave said:

The Cramps    File Under Sacred Music     Early Singles 1978-1981

Best single i've bought in ages times 10 cause there's 10 killer singles in the box. Really nice pressings (at least mine is, and i bought it when it came out late last year) where you can actually hear Lux breathing at times. It's on Munster Records and i've seen copies at a coupla local record stores recently, so there's still copies floating around waiting to be nabbed by the likes of you!

• July 7, 2012 8:51 AM CDT
    • And worth every cent for the stupid grin it puts on my face every time i play I Can't Hardly Stand It  or   The Way I Walk    or Drug Train   or...the list goes on. Way better sound then the original LP's i've owned since they came out.

I was able to get it for $80 Canadian  when it came out, so theoretically it should be way cheaper in Chicago....

John Battles said:

I KNOW I SHOULD , but , Hey , Seuss! IT'S LIKE , $80.

whatwave dave said:

Best single i've bought in ages times 10 cause there's 10 killer singles in the box. Really nice pressings (at least mine is, and i bought it when it came out late last year) where you can actually hear Lux breathing at times. It's on Munster Records and i've seen copies at a coupla local record stores recently, so there's still copies floating around waiting to be nabbed by the likes of you!

• July 6, 2012 8:16 PM CDT
    •  SOME OF MY FAVES....nOT EVEN SCRATCHING THE SURFACE , BUT......

PAUL REVERE AND tHE RAIDERS "oRBIT - tHE sPY"/ "Beatnik Sticks"

Johnny Hallyday - "Voyage Aus Pays DES vIVANTS"

Love - "7 and 7 is " mixed hotter than Hell.

DONNY B. WAUGH. i'M SORRY , SCREW SPRINGSTEEN . wAUGH IS tHE jERSEY ROCK KING

"yOU bETTER bELIEVE IT" / "C'mon Everybody"

Chuck Berry "No Money Down" / "Downbown Train.

Ann-Margret "It's a Nice World To Visit (But not to Live In)/"You Turned My head around."

Dave Berry '' dON'T gIMME nO LIP cHILD".

svt "wANNA sEE yOU Cry"

Nervebreakers - All 3 original singles ( reished on gET hIP).

any Little Richard on Specialty

• July 6, 2012 8:07 PM CDT
    • I KNOW I SHOULD , but , Hey , Seuss! IT'S LIKE , $80.

whatwave dave said:

• July 6, 2012 8:05 PM CDT
    • NICE. That image will always remind me of former funnyman , Dan Akyroyd as Tom Snyder and Mick Jagger as himself on SNL.

G. Wood said:

I'm more interested in picture sleeves than the actual music, I confess. Recently got this one, which I've been looking for forever.

• July 6, 2012 5:56 PM CDT
    • The Cramps    File Under Sacred Music     Early Singles 1978-1981

• July 7, 2012 9:08 PM CDT
    • Show #381: "Bands & Artists Starting With E, Part 7" playlist:

The Excellents - "You Baby You"
      The Excels - "It Isn't So"
      The Excelsior Spring - "It"
      The Exception [UK] - "Don't Torture Your Mind"
      The Exception [US] - "My Mind Goes Traveling"
      The Exchequers - "Is There Some Girl"
      The Exciters - "Do-Wah Diddy"
      The Excursion - "Switched On"
      The Executioners [MD] - "You Won't Find Me"
      The Executioners [OH] - "I Want The Rain"
      The Executives [AUS] - "Moving In A Circle"
      The Executives [UK] - "I Ain't Got Nobody (For Real)"
      The Exiles - "Put Your Hands Together"
      Exmagma - "The First Tune"
      The Exotics [UK] - "I Don't Want Nobody (To Lead Me On)"
      The Exotics [US] - "I Was Alone"
      Explosions - "Hip Drop (Part 1)"
      The Explosive - "Cities Make The Country Colder"
      The Express - "Wastin' My Time"
      The Expressions [NY] - "Crazy"
      The Expressions [TN] - "Return To Innocence"
      The Exterminators - "Declaration Of Independence '65"
      The Extremes [TN?] - "S.O.S."
      The Extremes [WA] - "I'm Hurtin'"
      Exuma - "The Vision"
      The Eye Zooms - "She's Gone"
      The Eyes [GER] - "A Stitch In Time"
      The Eyes [UK] - "You're Too Much"
      Eyes Of Blue - "Merry-Go-Round"
      The Eyes Of Dawn - "Little By Little"
      Denny Ezba's Gold - "Queen Mary"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/381.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/381.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750 ... Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• July 7, 2012 7:40 PM CDT
    • I was asked to write a Wikipedia page for my friend's band. After reading the requirements detailing who qualifies for a page that won't be deleted, I questioned whether my friend qualifies, even though she's released 3 albums for actual labels, has tons of press, and plays regularly from LA to NY. 

It's not easy to write a proper Wiki article. It needs to have verified citations from press articles (not online blogs), and be composed of verifiable facts. It's very different from just dashing off a promo bio full of adjectives. Which is why I never finished it.

But yeah, it's true. No one cares about my garage band. I have maybe 25 fans worldwide, and half of them are musicians, who are on the last album. I don't have a band, I have a circle of friends.

• July 7, 2012 7:38 PM CDT
    • IF IT'S A BAND THAT'S WHINING BECAUSE THEY CAN'T GET ON WIKIPEDIA , YEAH , LESS THAN 10 MIGHT BE MORE LIKE IT  . BUT , IF WE'RE TALKING ABOUT A BAND THAT'S PUT IN SOME TIME , BETWEEN 10 AND 30 YEARS , MAYBE MORE , AND BUILT UP A NATIONAL FOLLOWING OF SOME KIND , BUT , NEVER GRABBED THE BRASS RING FROM THE WHITE STRIPES , OR WHOEVER ,  LESS THAN 1000 IS'NT EVEN ACCURATE . IT'D BE AN UNDERSTATEMENT.....AND , THAT'S NOT GOING TO ASSURE THEM A PLACE ON WIKIPEDIA , EITHER .     BUT , THESE CRAP BANDS WHO SEEM TO THINK MEDIA ATTENTION SHOULD JUST BE HANDED DOWN TO THEM , THEY REALLY SHOULD BE GLAD IF ANYONE CARES AT ALL.

kopper said:

Less than a thousand? Let's try less than 10!!

John Battles said:

I HAVE'NT READ THEWHOLE THING , I CAUGHT THIS  AS I WAS GETTING READY TO TURN THE OLD IDIOT BOX OFF....But , it looks pretty funny. Someone went to a LOT of work to get their point across. Anyway , do that many Garage Bands  really think they belong on Wikipedia when they have following of , oh , let's be kind , less than 1000 people? There have got to be a number of Garage Bands , past and present , that are pretty big in our world(s) , but , they're not whining if they have'nt yet rated a mention in Wikipedia.

• July 7, 2012 12:05 PM CDT
    • Hear hear!!!

SMF said:

Here's who cares about my band:

Me

Otto

Dave

Andy 

We ARE the band...

That's all that matters!

We are back in the recording studio next month. Who cares about that? See above.

This is certainly better than growing up...

• July 7, 2012 8:48 AM CDT
    • Less than a thousand? Let's try less than 10!!

John Battles said:

I HAVE'NT READ THEWHOLE THING , I CAUGHT THIS  AS I WAS GETTING READY TO TURN THE OLD IDIOT BOX OFF....But , it looks pretty funny. Someone went to a LOT of work to get their point across. Anyway , do that many Garage Bands  really think they belong on Wikipedia when they have following of , oh , let's be kind , less than 1000 people? There have got to be a number of Garage Bands , past and present , that are pretty big in our world(s) , but , they're not whining if they have'nt yet rated a mention in Wikipedia.

• July 6, 2012 6:46 PM CDT
    • Haha, very funny and a somewhat accurate account of a lot of bands I've encountered over the last 25 years...

• July 6, 2012 6:37 PM CDT
    • Here's who cares about my band:

Me

Otto

Dave

Andy 

We ARE the band...

That's all that matters!

We are back in the recording studio next month. Who cares about that? See above.

This is certainly better than growing up...

• July 6, 2012 4:41 PM CDT
    • Touche.   It's just difficult to figure how big a band's following is , if they're very popular locally, and maybe in a few surrounding areas , but are completely unknown , say , 500 miles away.....in any case , we can't expect Wikipedia to care any more than the cops or the neighbors....Someone told me a local band , then on a major label (Ok , It was Urge Overkill!    No , I don't like 'em , and , no , they're not a Garage band to these ears.). But , they said the band was'nt doing so good , "They only sold 100 , 000 copies of the last album.." .I said  "A HUNDRED THOUSAND?!! IN PUNK ROCK TERMS , THAT'S A GOLD RECORD !!!".

Cath said:

The "bands" that do that are probably a bunch of 15 year-olds who think nothing exists unless something's posted about it on the internet.

^Less than 1000 people? That's being very kind indeed!

• July 7, 2012 6:20 PM CDT
    • NOW THAT IT'S COOL TO LIKE THE RAMONES , AGAIN (AND IT WAS'NT , FOR YEARS.), THOSE SAME PEOPLE ARE PROBABLY BRAGGING ABOUT HOW THEY SAW THE RAMONES ,IN DECLINE , AND THEY WERE STILL GREAT....

• July 7, 2012 9:03 AM CDT
    • Re John Battles' comment:

"... BUT , I WAS ALWAYS GLAD TO PLUNK DOWN MY CHANGE TO GO SEE THE RAMONES IN THE LAST 12 YEARS OF THEIR EXISTENCE , BECAUSE , WITH THE EXCEPTION OF A PITIFUL FEW (CRAMPS , IGGY , MOTORHEAD , e.g.), THE COMPETITION WAS'NT SAYIN' NUTHIN FROM WHERE I STOOD.

Too right! Even on their bad nights (didn't remember hearing any of those), a night of the Ramones live? Well, it couldn't be beat. Sorry. And it wasn't even that the competition as such wasn't just not saying anything, they weren't PLAYING anything I wanted to hear at the time. If there WAS another show on on the same night, I'd still be at the Ramones, thank you very much.

"...and people throwing piles of plastic cups at the band did'nt help. I don't care if it was the worst show of their career , which it wasn't , you respected The Ramones, or you exercised the right to take your lame ass out the exit doors."

Now, ok, I have heard this before but it still makes me certifiably ropeable. I mean, I can't imagine any crowd throwing anything at the Ramones. Seriously? This happened many moons ago; nevertheless, reading it here makes my blood boil. I'm really glad I wasn't at that show because I probably would have gotten into trouble picking a fight with one of those idiots. *sigh* No respect.

• July 7, 2012 8:56 AM CDT
    • I honestly like them all; Their first post-Sire, post Dee Dee LP album "Mondo Bizzaro is very cool. They didn't fall apart, and sound just as great as ever....

• July 7, 2012 8:27 AM CDT
    • thanks. for now the link would be http://rockandrollradio.org/audio/yyyy/yymmdd.mp3

I think we will be going to mediafire link in the not too distant future.

The screamin' Soul Preacher said:

Great playlist !!!

Rock'n'Roll Suicide has always been one of my favorite podcasts around.

And I'm always trying to listen to Rock'n'Roll Party whenever I can but it would be so much more convenient if you could find a way (and the time of course) to podcast this... We, little dedicated listeners all over the world, could then listen to your superkickass show wherever we want via our little cheap mp3s players ! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease... 

• July 7, 2012 12:57 AM CDT
    • Great playlist !!!

Rock'n'Roll Suicide has always been one of my favorite podcasts around.

And I'm always trying to listen to Rock'n'Roll Party whenever I can but it would be so much more convenient if you could find a way (and the time of course) to podcast this... We, little dedicated listeners all over the world, could then listen to your superkickass show wherever we want via our little cheap mp3s players ! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease... 

• July 6, 2012 9:05 PM CDT
    • Stream or download the entire July 6 show right here.

Cool Breeze – Bloodshot Bill
      Sweet Breeze – Vernon Green And The Phantoms
      Cheesy Breeze – Milton Brown & The Musical Brownies
      The Breeze and I – The 4 Most
      Cool Breeze – The Daylighters

Jungle Rock – Chimes Of Freedom
      Surfer’s Mood – Gene Gray & The Stingrays
      The Hunch – Mad Mike & The Maniacs
      Sugar Cookie – Evan Johns And The H-Bombs
      Shake It On Down – The Mess Around
      Daddy Issues – Cudzoo & The Faggettes

Striptease Girl – MFC Chicken
      Branded - Thats My Beer – The Branded
      The Creeping Ivies – Rock N Roll Party
      Ain’t That a Dilly – Marlon Grisham
      Cerveza – Boots Brown
      Have You Ever Shot Somebody – Michael Shelley

Tipsy – The Jam Messengers
      Watch Your Step – Beasts Of Bourbon, The
      Dope Sniffin' Dog –Jack.O and the Tear Jerkers

Local Lunchbox
      Under the Weather – Head on Electric
      Bobby – Midnight Reruns
      Dirty Girl – Certain Stars
      One Way Street – Nick Pipitone

Friday Night Dance Party – Link Wray
      Drums A Go-Go – The Titty Twisters Orchestra
      Tornado Love – Blacktop
      Boyfriend Street – The Flip-Tops
      Pretty Please – River City Tanlines

Blind Man – Tav Falco’s Panther Burns
      Go to Him – Ray Brown & The Whispers
      Diana – Guantanamo Baywatch
      Raina – Nick Waterhouse
      Young And Foolish – Wendy Rene

Rock The Universe – The Neanderthals
      Thirty Days – Chuck Berry
      Dig Myself a Hole – Charlie Feathers

Watching My Baby – Reigning Sound
      Wild Romance – Los Straitjackets featuring Sarah Borges
      I Thought About You – The Electric Mess
      I'm Only Lonely – Gentleman Jesse
      Don't Go Too Far – Mother's Children

50s French Movie – The Chrome Cranks
      Flower Punk Girl – Thee Exciters
      Don't Care About You – The Pygmies
      Strychnine – The Anabolics

Untitled – Hank Haint
      Shame – Million Sellers
      But I Didn’t– Charlie Pickett
      Not As Pretty – The Sights
      Lakeside – Blue Mountain
      Centreville – Lee Bains III & the Glory Fires
      You might also like:

• July 6, 2012 5:49 PM CDT
    • T Model Ford is on the line up, but I don't think he's going to be performing because of complications from a stroke. So sad. He was the number one act I wanted to see the most. I'm way into blues, in general.

• July 6, 2012 5:19 PM CDT
    • Radio What Wave Playlist for July 5/2012

1. The Everglades...Rock and Roll Cliche....from the Last Pogo LP that came out in 1979 and is the last stand for punk rock at The Horseshoe Tavern in Toronto 12/1/78. The documentary film of this event should be coming out shortly. And RockandRoll Cliche sums up Radio WW....a great way to start the noise!

2. The Beatles...Birthday...from the Double White LP and for the Editor of What Wave and my partner in crime, Rena, as it's her birthday on the airing of this week's episode. And when the boss makes 'requests', you gotta play them!

3. Washington Squares...Walls (Polish Union Song) from their self titled debut LP from 1987. We first saw the Squares here in London at the long gone Kiplings, 4/24/88 as it says on the ticket stub. This was our first of many meetings with Lauren Agnelli who played guitar and sang for the Squares. We interviewed the band that night, and the interview appeared in WW zine...

4. Dave Rave...Anne Marie...from the Live With What You Know CD. Great power pop from this former Shaker and Teenage Head member. We also interviewed Dave Rave (he was in Teenage Head at the time) and his interview appeared in the same issue as Lauren Agnelli as mentioned above...neither knew each other at the time. They later hooked up (in more ways than one) in The Dave Rave Conspiracy and later just Agnelli and Rave and continue to play together whenever they get together. And the first time we saw The Dave Rave Conspiracy they blamed us for somehow getting them together...hahaha. And former Television drummer, Billy Ficca was in The Squares and Dave Rave Conspiracy.

5. Big John Bates...Wide Open Blues...from the brand new Garagepunk Hideout download, Supercharged Sounds.

6. Laughing Sky...Come On...from the recently released Divine CD by this NYC based combo.

7. Terror Lake...Transmission...from a very recent demo from this Toronto 3 piece.

8. Drug Free Youth...Ms. Abigail...from the brand new CD The Avocado Index...Greek based psych combo that the nice folks at Lost In Tyme hooked us up with.

9. The Basements...Wrong...from the I'm Dead CD on Lost In Tyme Records outta Greece.

10. Paul Messis...I've Been Through It Before...from the brand new compilation CD that comes with Lost In Tyme #6.

11. The Fiends...Writing On The Wall...from the Gravedigger CD from 1998 on Dionysus Records. Vancouver based garagepunkers that at one time had Pete Fiend on the bass, and Pete is in the next band in this list.

12. Living Deadbeats...Evil Hearted Blues...from the brand new record. This saturday night at Brennan's is the London debut of this Vancouver combo. Also on the bill are Gatgas and T.H.E.

13. Living Deadbeats...Time...from the second Garagepunk Hideout CD, Songs The Hideout Taught Us. This song was also a song of the week at Dirty Water Records in the UK.

14. Living Deadbeats...Lost...from the above mentioned brand new record.

15. T.H.E.....Chronic Masterbator...from their recent demo. Catch them live on Saturday night at Brennans.

16. Sheep Look Up....Jumper...from their only cassette release, early 80's, London based.

17. Hand Of Glory...Bloody Red Sun...from their 2nd LP, Far From Kith And Kin from 1989. Austin based combo with former members of Leroi Brothers, Poison 13, Doctors Mob, Joe King Carrasco and others. A high pedigree band that coulda and shoulda made it big!! On Skyclad Records.

18. The Finks...Can't Say No...from a 7" from 1987. London Ontario based combo that features Peter Gripp who is presently on bass in the Living Deadbeats.

19. Durango 95...Sandra Sez...from their Lose Control LP from the early 80's. These guys morphed into The Purple Toads (both combos recorded on Star Records and were based in Oshawa Ontario) and there is presently a book being written about the Toads.

20. Hypnotics...Here She Comes Now...from their Static Fuzz Radio LP...Windsor Ontario based garagepunk combo!

21. The Ramones...Sheena Is A Punk Rocker...from the Rocket To Russia LP 1977. There's a Ramonsemania show happening at Call The Office on Friday Aug 3rd where local bands get up and play a side of a Ramones LP, including....

22. Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants...Eyes...from their latest split 7".

23. Budokan...You Don't Stop Lovin' The Band....from their new CD, Spin A Little Gold. Victoria BC combo who obviously dig Cheap Trick and 70's power pop.

24. Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet...The Allouette, She Was Canada's First Satellite, Way Before The Americans Even on Estrus Records. The Shadowy Men have a reunion show in Toronto in a week or so...

25. Dynamite Pussy Club...Testify...from their recent Church Of Yeah! CD....

Outta time, definitely not out of tunes. Thanx for the call-ins, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!! Back next week with more action.

See ya all saturday night at Brennan's for Living Deadbeats, T.H.E. and Gatagas.

Here's a link to the podcasts which are up for one week only:

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1800.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1830.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3