Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• July 11, 2012 8:08 AM CDT
    • Saw these guys and drank many drinks with the lead singer. All great people making AMAZING psyched out jams.

The Pygmies said:

If you're looking for a great new Garage-Psych band you MUST check out the Ketamines. Definitely my favourite album of the year.

http://ketamines.bandcamp.com/

• July 10, 2012 5:12 PM CDT
    • If you're looking for a great new Garage-Psych band you MUST check out the Ketamines. Definitely my favourite album of the year.

http://ketamines.bandcamp.com/

• July 10, 2012 3:29 PM CDT
    • All REALLY great! Also Pow Wows, The Unwed Teenage Mothers, Outer Minds, Bass Drum of Death, Cold Warps, The Underground Railroad to Candyland, Mujeres, Slug Guts, Mind Spiders, everything Mark Sultan touches, The Lovely Bad Things, Useless Eaters, Ketamines, Guantanamo Baywatch, Thee Ludds...

Theres honestly so much good stuff coming out right now...

The Conjugal Visits said:

lately we've been listening to Night Beats, Cosmonauts (if you wanna die, then i wanna die), ty segall and white fence LP, vincas, the new cheap time -wallpaper music, obn iii's, gentleman jesse -leaving atlanta, gg king.

oh and the new Teenanger album Frights

• July 11, 2012 7:52 AM CDT
    • Ya see! I always forget some. How could I forget the Gories?

And, when you think about it, no one-man band has a bass, either.

I think it really depends on the style. The bands (or duos) that go for the more primitive sound don't need it.

dave said:

Yeah, some bands can do it, like The Gories or Hound Dog Taylor and the Houserockers.

Normally I'm with ya, but there are exceptions.

• July 11, 2012 7:27 AM CDT
    • Two of my favorite bands that I've found in the last year or so are two-piece bands: Left Lane Cruiser and Restavrant. I love the raw feeling they bring to their music.

• July 11, 2012 5:18 AM CDT
    • Listen to The Magnetix.
      no bass but the guitar use two amps, a bass amp with an octaver so with the same signal he have one guitar fuzzed sound and also a bass drived sound !

What about a bariton guitar ?

• July 11, 2012 2:52 AM CDT
    • What makes the Gories and Hound Dog Taylor's Houserockers so good is that when they played, you never missed the bass. At least one of the guitarists held down the bottom. It still sounded thin, but at least it was something.

With these other bassless bands, there's too much empty space. You're waiting for some low notes to fill in the gap, but it never arrives...

• July 10, 2012 4:48 PM CDT
    • Yeah, some bands can do it, like The Gories or Hound Dog Taylor and the Houserockers.

Normally I'm with ya, but there are exceptions.

• July 10, 2012 3:20 PM CDT
    • Two of my favorite bands of all time had no bass: 

Flat Duo Jets & Bantam Rooster

Oblivians, too (they were a 3-piece, two guitars & drums, though).

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few others, too (I always do).

You can do without it just fine. 'Nuff said.

• July 11, 2012 5:42 AM CDT
    • Now we're on to something John.  That's hideous!  

John Carlucci said:

This is really ugly! and what's with the Handle???

• July 11, 2012 1:49 AM CDT
    • This is really ugly! and what's with the Handle???

• July 10, 2012 9:36 PM CDT
    • Whoa! that BC Rich reminds me of someone I know who is not cool at all....I'd have to concur!

• July 10, 2012 6:29 PM CDT
    • I'm with you on this, BC Rich guitars were/are some ugly and uncool monstrosities.  The epitome of cheesy metal posery.

• July 10, 2012 10:41 PM CDT
    • ....Also , I just saw an ad for "The Stones in Hyde Park" coming out , legitimately , for the first time , ever. If  you've never seen a bootleg copy , it's not a very good performance. Brian had just died , and Mick Taylor had been with the group a matter of days. They did what they could , under the circumstances . There are certainly moments , though , I'd say it's of more historical than musical importance . It's sloppy , even by The Stones' standards , and even though Taylor was first to admit to being scared stiff to play before an estimated 100,000 people , it's hard to imagine the others not feeling  the same , though they'd probably never admit it , themselves. It would be nice , all the same , to see the best possible quality copy. I bought a copy in Mexico for about Four American Dollars , thinking , what can I lose? It turned out to be a pretty good copy , though , somehow , that made the shortcomings more obvious than on my crap SLP copy. I don't want to prejudice anyone , but this is NOT the powerhouse band that ripped it's way through America like a buzzsaw though a package of toilet paper, in a few short months.

• July 10, 2012 10:16 PM CDT
    • By Jones , I think he's got it.....Some material , particularly on albums like "Goats Head Soup" and "Black and Blue" , was'nt BAD , merely sluggish. ONE OF THE HIGHLIGHTS IN THEIR ARTISTIC DECLINE (THEIR WERE MORE TO FOLLOW) , THOUGH , WAS "MELODY" ON "B & B", A COLLABORATION WITH BILLY PRESTON , ONE THAT JAGGER COULD BE FORGIVEN FOR SAYING IT WAS'NT FEASIBLE TO TRY TO PERFORM , LIVE. BUT , WHEN I SAW BILL WYMAN , ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO , THAT WAS THE ONE STONES SONG HE AND HIS GROUP PERFORMED. BUT , THERE'S SOMETHING GOOD TO BE HEARD ON NEARLY ALL THEIR ALBUMS.

G. Wood said:

You know what... It's all good. Except some of the stuff Mick insisted on when he was in his 'dance' phase.

• July 10, 2012 5:13 PM CDT
    • You know what... It's all good. Except some of the stuff Mick insisted on when he was in his 'dance' phase.

• July 10, 2012 4:49 PM CDT
    • I definitely side with the Brian Jones camp. I love their early material, especially their pop songs - Blue Turns to Grey, I Am Waiting, Connection, I'm Free, Singer Not the Song. Jagger-Richards could write hooks just as solidly as Lennon-McCartney when they wanted to.

• July 10, 2012 10:07 PM CDT
    • I have a documentary on VHS , BUT IT'S A STRAIGHT UP SCREAMING LORD SUTCH Bio . Joe Meek figures into the proceedings , of course , and there's some great home footage of Meek RECORDING THE SAVAGES (Probably also in this Meek/SutchBio.), but it's all about our Lord , which art in Heaven.

• July 10, 2012 5:29 PM CDT
    • There's a Great Joe Meek Doc. here:

The Pygmies said:

I can't wait to check this out. I read Screaming Lord Sutch's biography and ever since I've wanted to learn more about Joe Meek. Phil Spector found the guy too eccentric, that's when you know you're really out there!

• July 10, 2012 4:28 PM CDT
    • Hi

That is exactly the one I meant.....if you can give me any details you have that would be great....that way I can search, with only "Screaming Lord Sutch" to go on I was stuck....any information gratefully received.....

Many thanks both!!

BG

• July 10, 2012 4:23 PM CDT
    • I can't wait to check this out. I read Screaming Lord Sutch's biography and ever since I've wanted to learn more about Joe Meek. Phil Spector found the guy too eccentric, that's when you know you're really out there!

• July 10, 2012 2:28 PM CDT
    • this was making the rounds on facebook today too. Kickass video!