Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• June 13, 2012 8:03 PM CDT
    • I won't get into drugs (Because I'm not into drugs.) , mainly because Andre's been an open book about that....But , he told me ,when "Bacon Fat " hit , and Andre was playing the big chain of theatres that culminated with the prize , The Apollo (WITH Little Richard and Screamin' Jay Hawkins on one bill !!!!). First , he bought a Cadillac , wrecked that , and bought "THE BRINTZ EL - DOH - RAH - DOH ....I TURNED AROUND AND SAID "ANDRE WILLIAMS....baaaaad motherfucker!!" . The thing was , Williams pointed out ,  everything he wanted , back then , he could have ,as clothes and cars
      and the like , were so much cheaper , back then. BUT , when the hits stopped coming , he could'nt afford to keep up said indulgences. He cowrote "Shake a Tail Feather" and claims he almost got a piece of "Mustang Sally" , and was always IN the biz , particularly at Motown , early on , but one hit record, and some lesser - selling classics , were'nt going to keep Williams living the high life , with or without drink or drugs in the equation. 
      Matthew Nykodym said:

I was alluding to the line in Mr. Chambers stating that "He did NOT squander his money on drugs",  and whether you want to call it squander or not Andre did use some of his earning on drugs.  Andre had a #9 on the r&b back in 1957 with Bacon Fat and wrote Shake A Tail Feather which has been covered by everbody and his dog. Andre has expressed for years that he has been under paid for his music especially that latter.

• June 13, 2012 7:48 PM CDT
    • Some of these things take time ....I always thought End of The Century had some great , catchy songs. It only REALLY sounds like a Spector job on the obvious number...But , you can almost hear them in a tug of war over sound , style and substance. Spector had'nt done very much since "Let It Be''(Well , Ronnie Spector's 45 on Apple was great.) and John Lennon's "Rock'n'Roll" (Actually , nothing since the latter.). He may have thought The Ramones were his ticket to street cred , as much as they may have thought he was their ticket to commercial success. The Ramones , and it's criminal , but it's so , were not destined to become a BIG group , raking in major coin , until they started dying.

"Pleasant Dreams " is REALLY a case of experimenting with different styles ....some that I personally , like better than others , but , I don't dislike any of it. I used to , but it's grown on me over the years. I bought it at a flea market , in '84 , I think.

• June 13, 2012 4:44 PM CDT
    • Bands have to grow, experiment, and make music for the present day.  Restricting oneself from development is a one-way street to self-parody. 

When it comes to bands with extensive discographies the Ramones is stronger than most.  Even their most scrutinized efforts are miles ahead than many artists best accomplishments. 

I find it strange that albums such as ‘End of the Century’ and ‘Pleasant Dreams’ aren’t held in as high regard as their earlier LP’s. The songwriting is so strong and the sweat is there.  I do believe the media and even members the band like to hate on these albums to make the legend more interesting.  It doesn’t appear to me that it’s a popular opinion among fans.

That being said, the point at which I feel the Ramones began to stumble was around ‘Animal Boy’ and ‘Halfway to Sanity’.  ‘Brain Drain’ was an improvement. 

Did they jump the shark?  Sure.  The albums they made after Dee Dee departed were pretty lifeless.  Although they had fun a moment or two. 

• June 13, 2012 7:34 PM CDT
    • "If ever a Devil's plan , was for Lucy to work with my band , it was you...."

It's possible Desi "Had" Jezebel first , but , Frankie Laine owned that song in the 50's , and made it a standard. I don't know what year either version was  done , though. I like Arnaz's version better, tho'.

Ken said:

I'm pretty sure the first recorded version was Desi Arnaz on I Love Lucy:

• June 13, 2012 7:29 PM CDT

• I think White did play guitar on it....I like that it IS a totally different song , but , the flipside (?) I think it's "Evil " by Howlin' Wolf , that kills.
      antonio said:

Really? I think that's far from the original Jezebel. Sounds like a different song, it even has different lyrics. Is Jack White playing on it?

Jersey City Mods said:

New one from Tom Jones and Jack White

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaFoaAgpZ8Q

• June 13, 2012 3:58 PM CDT
    • Really? I think that's far from the original Jezebel. Sounds like a different song, it even has different lyrics. Is Jack White playing on it?

Jersey City Mods said:

New one from Tom Jones and Jack White

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaFoaAgpZ8Q

• June 13, 2012 1:36 PM CDT
    • Yeah, no shit. You can barely even hear him singing the song. :/

Northside Garage said:

Was going to mention Desi's version. Saw it years ago and always loved it, shame the video quality isn't great on the clip.

Ken said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxyubibFMMc

• June 13, 2012 1:02 PM CDT
    • Was going to mention Desi's version. Saw it years ago and always loved it, shame the video quality isn't great on the clip.

Ken said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxyubibFMMc

• June 13, 2012 11:56 AM CDT
    • Nice work! 

• June 13, 2012 11:45 AM CDT
    • I'm pretty sure the first recorded version was Desi Arnaz on I Love Lucy:

• June 13, 2012 7:10 PM CDT
    • It's been a few months since I heard anything - had to go back to find it, in the middle of February.  Supposedly, recording was started in March, but I haven't seen or heard anything lately.  Anybody else plugged into these guys more than I am?  I saw a note about the Reigning Sound tour kicking off today, and it jogged this back into memory.

• June 13, 2012 3:36 PM CDT
    • He played in an early Japanese band before joining the Arrows? Sounds interesting. Vodka Collins, hmm. 

John Battles said:

I met Allan Merrill last year at a Group Sound Forum. What an amazing career he's had , from becoming the first major White, Male solo singing star in Japan , to....Hell , what's the name of the Group Sound band her was in(?) , to working with members of  The Spiders , Golden Cups , Tigers , etc., and Tetsui Yamamuchi (I know , I spelled it wrong) before the latter joined Free and The Faces , to forming Japan's first Glam BAND , Vodka Collins (Long out of print on Man's Ruin , but, look for 'em , anyway.) to becoming a star with Arrows in England . He said they did very well on the continent , too , but , Mickie Most never got them the U.S. deal he'd promised them. BUT , they replaced The Rollers on their TV show (Tho they were'nt allowed to release anything at the time.).  And , this song , eclipsed by a cover version , about 6 OR 7 YEARS LATER.

Daniel M said:

The Velvet Tinmine comp was mentioned on the first page. Did anyone post this yet:

• June 13, 2012 3:24 PM CDT
    • Hes on TV? I never realized he reached that level of fame. Over there though bands that are obscure here win awards, so it must be completely different what music is popular in foreign countries.

I think that last band you mentioned might have been the CherryBombz. If thats what band you meant, I wouldnt have went either I guess. 

John Battles said:

PROBABLY. tHE ONLY PEOPLE i'VE HEARD TALK ABOUT THEM HAD LIVED IN FINLAND. Andy had , or has , a dysfunctional Rock 'n'Roll "Reality TV' show , liek the Osbournes and The $immon$  family.     I saw Andy twice in '88 WITH iGGY pOP , BUT , i THINK THAT'S THE ONLY U.S TOUR HE'S DONE SINCE THE ABORTIVE AND POORLY PROMOTED US TOUR WHICH ENDED , AS I'M SURE YOU ALL KNOW , IN DRUMMER , RAZZLE'S DEATH WITH VINCE NEAL AT THE WHEEL (HE COULD'NT HAVE SENT OUT FOR BEER?). NO , WAIT , THERE WAS ANOTHER BAND. I FORGET THEIR NAME. HIM , DAVE TREGUNNA OR Kenny Laguna, THE GUY FROM lORDS AND sHAM 69. MAYBE NASTY SUICIDE , TOO? They were at China Club , and I refused to go there.

Duke Of Earl said:

I heard 2 pelle albums but never the one with Andy Mccoy. Apparently they were finnish only releases. 

The Fnords said:

Pelle Miljoona was Andy McCoy's best-known pre-Hanoi Rocks band; I've none of their records though. D.

• June 13, 2012 6:14 AM CDT
    • Nice. Authentic Long Island Sound!

• June 13, 2012 2:06 AM CDT
    • Then there's T.Tex Edwards with On Parole (Different group.) , Tex and The Saddletramps , Loafin' Hyaenas , Swingin' Cornflake Killers , and Punked UP COVERS OF "The Race is On" , "NOTHING eVER hURT mE hALF AS bAD AS lOSING yOU"(Also by The Possum.)"North To Alaska", and others I'm forgetting (It's 2:00 am), done by The NERVEBREAKERS.
       BUT , If we're to talk About Tex, WE HAVE TO TALK ABOUT HIS bIG cITY cOUSIN , Iggy Yoakum , and his Famous Pogo Ponies. Starting in the early 90'S (?) , Iggy Yoakum originally ONLY played the remaining redneck bars in Chicago , playing Country versions of Punk songs. It' sbeen done , but not so well. They gradually wrote enough REAL Honky Tonk originals to fill two sets , and only liberally dabbled in covers.  Sadly , there's no product , though a great CD "On The Bar" , produced by Jon Langford , was scouted around , but, no takers.   The band got some sense and split up , but , reformed last summer , proving again they are Chicago's greatest Country band. They don't even agree with me , much less the other 99 1/2% , but , it's true.
       swt said:

Here's a couple I like:

Cowboy in Flames by The Waco Brothers (This is a Chicago band though about half their members are Brit expatriots, including Jon Langford of The Mekons.

And also there's Pardon Me, I've Got Someone to Kill by T. Tex Edwards, who just joined this silly group.