Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• June 12, 2012 11:46 AM CDT
    • doornail said:

Kissing Cousins - The Saints

I didn't know it was a cover!  Thanks for the tip!

The Boys Next Door - Catman (Gene Vincent)

The Scientists - You Only Live Twice (Nancy Sinatra)

The Sid Presley Experience - Bad Boy (Larry Williams)

The Screaming Dizbusters (The Nomads) - Summer Of Love (Blue Oyster Cult)

The Forgotten Rebels - Hello Hello (I'm Back Again) (Gary Glitter)

• June 12, 2012 10:42 AM CDT
    • Kissing Cousins - The Saints

Nights In White Satin - The Dickies

Mr. Pharmacist - The Fall

Folsom Prison Blues - The Geezers

Catman - The Stingrays

Run For Your Life - Robert Gordon

• June 12, 2012 12:23 AM CDT
    • Leaving Here by Motorhead.

• June 11, 2012 9:44 PM CDT
    • Kind of obsessed by the song "Little Boy Sad" originally by Johnny Burnette.  I have many different versions, the best is The Gants punked up garaged speed ball cover.  But I have country versions and teen pop versions.  Mpd Ltd do a good cover of the Gants cover too.

• June 11, 2012 8:48 PM CDT
    • All those great Cramps songs . . . .

• June 11, 2012 6:44 PM CDT
    • The Francs cover of "Got No Mind" by the Flashcubes...

Oh wait, that's my band... sorry... (you can hear it on my page!!!)

OK, for real:

Blondie doing the Nerves's "Hanging on the Telephone"

• June 11, 2012 5:17 PM CDT
    • I've always liked the cover's album "Garage Punk" by "The Vibrators". Some really cool stuff on there, won't list any track's, i think they're all great.

Here's a link to the album on spotify for those of you who use it: http://open.spotify.com/album/6kbdVPNYclNXmoydIh0V8I

• June 11, 2012 3:58 PM CDT
    • Ramones' Acid Eaters album is a great one-stop thrill ride full of garage/punk covers (and a great gateway album for squares).

• June 12, 2012 11:37 AM CDT
    • Right now, my fave is "Vampyros Hetros" by Jarvis Humby. Hysterical lyrics and a nice chunky keyboard sound!  But there are so many great tunes with the Chicks Who Are Trouble theme!

• June 12, 2012 11:32 AM CDT
    • "The young thinks only of now.
      The old thinks only of yesterday.
      When shall a man think of tomorrow?"
      -Chabis Yodofsky

I should start this off by declaring myself if not in, then most certainly approaching, that "old" category. That's not to me a bad thing. Bill Haley and Comets were hip when I was a youngin, Elvis's "Hound Dog" was top ten before my age reached that nice round number, and my own career as a working musician closely matched that of the Beatles. But what brought the words above to mind was my recent experience of seeing my bands recordings from the sixties -- recordings I and the other band members had long thought forgotten -- suddenly come back to life pressed in new pristine vinyl.

The band was "The Abstracts" whose one released recording, "Always Always" never truly made the charts. The band had been together just two and half years, made some noise, and then were (I thought) completely forgotten. Then in the past year all that changed. And in April our first LP -- from recordings made some 45 years ago -- was a recommended selection of the month in England's Record Collector magazine.

I won't go into the details of how this came to pass. That is not my purpose here. What is is this: To encourage all my fellow musician friends here on GaragePunk Hideout to think beyond today. To take steps now to preserve what you are doing for posterity. 

In this The Abstracts were lucky. Well, I guess it was luck. For certainly I had not foreseen that anyone would care 45 years in the future (I.e., today) that pristine versions of our then unreleased studio recordings would interest anyone. Nor that someday a record producer would be asking us to share what photos we had of the band. And yet we'd saved those things.

"Only once before in all the records we have produced has a band been able to provide photos of this quality" Those were the words of the record's producer.

And good quality recordings. Not just of the studio sessions but live tracks too. Tracks that showed posterity what the band had meant to our fans back then. As Mike Stax put it in his recent Ugly Things review:

"Abstractmania? Who knew?"

For The Abstracts this has been a real trip. A totally unexpected one.  One totally out of mind when we were 16 and 17 year olds making music back in the mid-sixties.

So here is the point...

This could be your band's future too.

But only if you preserve it. 

-Don

• June 12, 2012 11:03 AM CDT
    • I've recently bought a turntable (1 month ago) and often go to street or flea markets to get to some old vinyls and really got some pretty good records such as Los Mac's (Chile), Herman's Hermits, Los Quarrel's (Chile) and Los Beat 4 (Chile).

I've got lots of records from Chile and, though the quality and sound are quite good, it is disappointing they were compelled to record a certain amount of covers before including some original music. That's the case of Los MAC's, whose first album was only covers and one original tune. Very sad.
      However, there are some bands who could do it and recorded a bunch of amazing singles like Angeles Salvajes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTp4bslq4Zk

On the other hand, I do admire and I'd love to have those amazing 60s Peruvian records, since the main focus of wildness was THERE in South America and they mainly recorded original songs. For instance: Los York's, Los Saicos, Los incas Modernos, Los Datsuns, Los Apsons, etc.

If I had to decide which record to add to my colection, it would definitely be Los Incas Modernos' from 1962. I love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smaMq5Vp5yY

Cheers.

• June 12, 2012 10:20 AM CDT
    • I first posted this short meditation on my GPH blog and appreciated kopper's suggestion that some of you folks here might have some valuable thoughts to share...

As most all of that play electric guitar know, that while there are dozens and dozens of worthy and desirable guitars 'out there' (both past and present), they almost all fall into one of two sound categories: Fender and Gibson; single coil of humbucker.

I started out as a Gibson man - something that is rather funny considering that my first love as a guitarist was surf music. But my first Gibson was equipped with P90s - a single coil PU that could pretty well emulate the Fender single coli sound, especially when reverb soaked.

Not too many years later I bought an old Tele and after replacing the Fender neck PU with one taken from an old Gretch I found what became my signature sound: Bright leads thickened with intense Marshall amp overdrive and the type of heavy rhythm pulse that can only come from a HB equipped guitar.

But here's the catch that leads to my title question:  Of late I have been playing almost solely on a Martin dreadnaught acoustic -- one loaded with medium gauge strings - string that by electric guitar standards are as thick as hemp rope. And this week I will be playing and singing with a band for the first time in quite a while. How then can I transfer my present style best to an electric?

I'm leaning towards using an Gibson SG -- a twin humbucker equipped guitar. Certainly that will allow me to well replicate the strong chordal pulses I have become accustomed to playing the Martin. Or a second possibility is to take my beloved Tele and run it through an old late 80s Peavey and take advantage of that amp' famed "soak" knob to thicken the sound.

Anyone here ever had to make a similar transition?  Your thought would be much appreciated! :)

-don

• June 11, 2012 9:07 PM CDT
    • Of course , there's Randy Alvey and The Greenfuz , they sound like they were TRYING to sound as bad as possible 30 years before everyone else was trying to sound as bad as possible.

Stack Waddy , from The UK , PLAYING RED MEAT -RAW R'N'B COVERS 5 YEARS AFTER IT'D GONE OUT OF STYLE.  They did cover a Jethro Tull song when it was still current ("Love Story" . Alexander Harvey did it , later.), and , when criticized for this move , said , "Well , we wrote it , din we?" One of their albums was called "Bugger Off!" because that's what they told the Sound Engineer.

• June 11, 2012 8:59 PM CDT
    • They were hilarious. "If mashed potatoes were security guards , we would'nt get anything done , if mashed potatoes were security guards , we would'nt have a  whole lot of fun !!!

WHOA , WHOA , WHOA , WHOA ! MASHED POTATO !".  I had a two piece combo in 1982 , called Born in an Elevator. Well , sometimes a three piece. We were too young to play clubs , so we did two parties , then split.

whatwave dave said:

Deja Voodoo were amongst the very first of the 2 piece combos...starting about 1982 and lasting 8 years...Drum kit with no cymbals, 10 dollar guitar (like you mentioned) and a cheap amp. They would travel by Edsel in the early days (until the Edsel broke down) and then via bus and train with all of their equipment tightly packed as carry on luggage.

Here's a link to their facebook page that has lots of pictures/posters and a few of the Edsel that i took many years ago:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Deja-Voodoo/23682273521

Deja Voodoo were also the people behind OG Records, the label responsible for releasing The Gruesomes records as well as many other cool recs.

• June 11, 2012 5:39 PM CDT
    • I was about to recommend the same.

LOS SAICOS

John Battles said:

YES ! TA TA TA TA TA TA TA TA ! YA ! YA ! YA! YA !    Sorry , can't stop  doing that. Good pick , Mina.

Mina said:

• June 11, 2012 8:39 PM CDT
    • Danny Dollrod Kroha is a Schlong Rocker. That's not a put down , he's a good friend of mine. And , if you see him in "Plastercaster" , you'll know he's a VERY good friend to someone. In any case , The Demolition Dollrods were , as a friend once described Black Oak Arkansas , "Voluptuous. Even the males !".

Duke Of Earl said:

BRIARD, yeah. Miss World CD with bonus track is really good. Better than Pelle. They re-pressed a Briard 45 too. All Finnish imports though Im afraid. 
      John Battles said:

Thank , Thank , Thank , Thank you Duke , Duke Duke , Duke of Earl...

There's a short interview with  Brett Smiley , by Greg Prevost , in the new Ugly Things....I did'nt know his proposed album was finally released in '03. I thought he was dead , but , then I found out he's still in NYC , PERFORMING WHEN HE'S PHYSICALLY ABLE (HE HAS HIV , BUT , NOT FULL BLOWN AIDS) ..... Well , of course , "Schlong Rock" would have to start with Black Oak Arkansas , then Iggy Pop , in general ,and , well , I don't go around lookin' at 'em too much , to tell the truth. GPH member and Battlefraynt , James Porter , interviewed Syl Sylvain , and had the nuts to ask him "Did you and Johnny stuff for that picture onthe backof the first Dolls ALBUM?" , TO WHICH HE REPLIED "DID WE STUFF?! JOHNNY WAS ITALIAN , AND I'M JEWISH ! OF COURSE WE DID'NT STUFF !!!". THERE YA GO.  Syl also told me a cop confronted Johnny , because he was wearing that same red leather suit in that photo. The Policeman thought Johnny had a bag of POT down his pants, when he saw the lengthy protrusion , and demanded that he take his pants off . "AH AIN'T GAAHHT NO UNDAWEAH !!!" , PROTESTED THUNDERS. THE COP SAID , DROP 'EM , JUST THE SAME . AND BOY , WAS HE SORRY HE DID ! He probably can't even look at the elephants in the zoo , anymore .

Briard? was that Andy and Michael Monroe's early band? I heard they were great , bu t, I've never actually heard them

Duke Of Earl said:

Schlong rock, hahah. It be neat if anyone could comprise a list of top10 schlongrock bands, and also the defining qualities seperating "butt" from said "schlong"rock genre.

Glad Im reminded that blackie lawless was in Kane band. Might have forgot about that one. Wasp was definately schlong-metal Id say.

You sure have a brilliant mind for details John. I enjoy reading your posts. Apparently Peter Frampton was the guitarist on Jobriaths debut I read. Funny to see the Jobriath vids. Cracks me up. I kinda liked Jobriath though. Damn entertaining. 

What are the best underated/unknown UK Glam acts. All kinds sprang up in the mid 70s. Im curious to find more Brett Smiley material, like how do you get the tune cherry hookers. I also wonder about his band vice.

Andy Mccoy s band briard I thought was a punk gem as well. Tuff to the songs from the other finnish album he did pre-hanoi. Still searching it out(no home internet which which makes this quite the task) .Theres some fuzzy youtube vids though.

John Battles said:

i WAS THINKING THE SAME THING....Not Metal , but Hard Rock. I'm certainly not a fan (Tho' David Lee's book is HILARIOUS.), But , I'd never call them Glam
      .... Glam was over by the time VH's first LP came out (Early '78?). Whoever was still around from that era had moved on to other things , or reworked their sound , drastically ( "Love is Like Oxygen " , while a good song , is miles removed from "Hellraiser" or 'Ballroom Blitz". Of course , David Lee Roth got his schtick from Jim Dandy , so maybe , instead of , or along with , "Butt Rock" , we should call it "Schlong ROCK"..

Joanie Lindstrom said:

Not at all IMHO.  I'd say hard rock.

• June 11, 2012 8:33 PM CDT

• I think you're right , but , I forget.....I like Kugelberg's column.
      Daniel M said:

I thought Johan Kugleberg did something about rare glam in Ugly Things but I could be imagining that. I don't have any of the issues with me right now.

Duke Of Earl said:

Oh btw briard/pelle miljoona isnt realy glam, just brought it up because it was hanoi related. Makes me wonder now about any good unheard glam bands/albums. I fear that many of the bands aping that style may have been more toned down like baycityrollers stuff, not sleazy or gender bending enough to be all that amazingly glammy.    

• June 11, 2012 8:30 PM CDT
    • PROBABLY. tHE ONLY PEOPLE i'VE HEARD TALK ABOUT THEM HAD LIVED IN FINLAND. Andy had , or has , a dysfunctional Rock 'n'Roll "Reality TV' show , liek the Osbournes and The $immon$  family.     I saw Andy twice in '88 WITH iGGY pOP , BUT , i THINK THAT'S THE ONLY U.S TOUR HE'S DONE SINCE THE ABORTIVE AND POORLY PROMOTED US TOUR WHICH ENDED , AS I'M SURE YOU ALL KNOW , IN DRUMMER , RAZZLE'S DEATH WITH VINCE NEAL AT THE WHEEL (HE COULD'NT HAVE SENT OUT FOR BEER?). NO , WAIT , THERE WAS ANOTHER BAND. I FORGET THEIR NAME. HIM , DAVE TREGUNNA OR Kenny Laguna, THE GUY FROM lORDS AND sHAM 69. MAYBE NASTY SUICIDE , TOO? They were at China Club , and I refused to go there.

Duke Of Earl said:

I heard 2 pelle albums but never the one with Andy Mccoy. Apparently they were finnish only releases. 

The Fnords said:

Pelle Miljoona was Andy McCoy's best-known pre-Hanoi Rocks band; I've none of their records though. D.

• June 11, 2012 8:23 PM CDT
    • I met Allan Merrill last year at a Group Sound Forum. What an amazing career he's had , from becoming the first major White, Male solo singing star in Japan , to....Hell , what's the name of the Group Sound band her was in(?) , to working with members of  The Spiders , Golden Cups , Tigers , etc., and Tetsui Yamamuchi (I know , I spelled it wrong) before the latter joined Free and The Faces , to forming Japan's first Glam BAND , Vodka Collins (Long out of print on Man's Ruin , but, look for 'em , anyway.) to becoming a star with Arrows in England . He said they did very well on the continent , too , but , Mickie Most never got them the U.S. deal he'd promised them. BUT , they replaced The Rollers on their TV show (Tho they were'nt allowed to release anything at the time.).  And , this song , eclipsed by a cover version , about 6 OR 7 YEARS LATER.

Daniel M said:

The Velvet Tinmine comp was mentioned on the first page. Did anyone post this yet:

• June 11, 2012 6:46 PM CDT
    • Funny thread, and the funniest is that we non-native speakers are always trying to interpret, decipher or fitting any possible phrases to the vocal melody. One hilarious example has to do with RATM's "killing in the name". In the chorus he sings "now you do what they told ya" and the phonetics are quite close to the phrase in Spanish "la guatona tetona" which would mean something like "the big-titted fatty". When a kid, whenever it was broadcast we would always laugh and sing it aloud.

And, there's another example with Grease's "You're the one that I want" but it's a bit gross.

Cheers.

• June 11, 2012 6:02 PM CDT
    • Did you really see the Hawkwind?

John Battles said:

Always quotable. Johnny straddles the line , here , between intimidating and genuinely hilarious. OH, YEAH. He still does that. "Freedom . Something the Hippies spoke of...when I was selling LSD at Hawkwind shows....OH , SHIT. Edit that part out.

antonio said:

John...

• June 11, 2012 4:24 PM CDT
    • Yup! New show coming very soon...!! Like in a day or three...

Chris Henniker said:

Hope to hear you on my Ipod in the next few weeks and on BBC 6Music in the future.

Lord Muck!! said:

Many thanks for your kind remarks, Muckas...!!

Nuthin's been pulled, Chris... just had to focus on other things for a while is all.

I got a the raw mats for a next Nasty Grind which I'll get out for June. It'll have some proper good tunes, you have been warned...

Till then I'm off to Vancouver where I'm gonna get Lady Muck legitimized... :)

Hey, and thanks for the downloads of old shows while I've been inactive, that's been very encouraging...

Muck!!