Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• June 17, 2012 11:56 AM CDT
    • Would we dare ask Mark E.Smith this question? I bet not.

• June 17, 2012 9:28 AM CDT
    • I don't know exactly how to categorize The Fall, but I do know Mark E. Smith is a freakin' lyrical genius.  

Became a recluse
      And bought a computer
      Set it up in the home
      Elusive big one
      On the screen
      Saw the Holy Ghost, I swear
      On the screen

All those whose mind entitles themselves,
      and whose main entitle is themselves,
      shall feel the wrath of my bombast!

Nuff Said!!!!

• June 16, 2012 5:31 PM CDT
    • i pretty much agree with what you said,i just believethey are equel parts garage and post punk,and some other parts of christ knows what!?

yeah it would be amazing for garage acts to pick up on them a bit more,only good can come of that!i think my point was really just that them being mentioned in the context of garage would be a positive thing.listening to uv race now,they are cracking!!whats the score wi them?

dave said:

Hey, everyone,

Let's see, how do I put my opinion? Yes, the Fall are one of my favorite bands EVARRR (listening to The Fall - Hex Enduction Hour [Full Album] now) because they embody so much of the punk attitude (endlessly curious, Mark E Smith is a rock and roll mulching machine, chewing up anything he likes, adding it to his band's slurry). He doesn't care who he pisses off, kinda like Miles Davis, he is true to his own ideas.

As TIRC replied, they seem more post-punky to me, but it's just a word, no need to get hung up on it. Call 'em what ya wish...

While they are fans of the garage sound/bands and attitude ("If you can't deliver it like a garage band, fuck it"), they don't stop there.

Also, as SWT added, there is no-one else like them, The Fall are a very tasty mutation! Like the first time I saw a challenging movie like Blade Runner or Brazil, I was intrigued by them because they had something that kept making my mind pink and come back to them (first exposure to them was "Marquis ChaCha" on college radio).

Also hope that future garage bands use them as grist for their mills. Does anyone else think that UV Race owes a debt to them (listen to Homo)?

So, punky but not garage-punk strictly. Great comments everyone!

Best, Dave

• June 16, 2012 4:35 PM CDT
    • Hey, everyone,

Let's see, how do I put my opinion? Yes, the Fall are one of my favorite bands EVARRR (listening to The Fall - Hex Enduction Hour [Full Album] now) because they embody so much of the punk attitude (endlessly curious, Mark E Smith is a rock and roll mulching machine, chewing up anything he likes, adding it to his band's slurry). He doesn't care who he pisses off, kinda like Miles Davis, he is true to his own ideas.

As TIRC replied, they seem more post-punky to me, but it's just a word, no need to get hung up on it. Call 'em what ya wish...

While they are fans of the garage sound/bands and attitude ("If you can't deliver it like a garage band, fuck it"), they don't stop there.

Also, as SWT added, there is no-one else like them, The Fall are a very tasty mutation! Like the first time I saw a challenging movie like Blade Runner or Brazil, I was intrigued by them because they had something that kept making my mind pink and come back to them (first exposure to them was "Marquis ChaCha" on college radio).

Also hope that future garage bands use them as grist for their mills. Does anyone else think that UV Race owes a debt to them (listen to Homo)?

So, punky but not garage-punk strictly. Great comments everyone!

Best, Dave

• June 16, 2012 3:13 PM CDT
    • ok here's what i think on it all,firstly i believe the fall are the closest and any band has ever came to perfection(in my ideals at least),and no i dont believe them to be the greatest garage act ever,without being at all controversial,if your speaking about the best garage bands ever,id have to mention bands like oblivions,standells,kingsmen,the seeds,maybe early white stripes,etc etc,but in amonst all that i believe the fall deserve an honourable mention,like tirc said above he'd never thought of them in that context,the reason i do is there total dedication to a non fuck around attitude to recording and production,there constant productivity,generally a total lack of pretention,a constant name checking and covering of garage bands like count five,the move,the monks and so many more,and mostly there total disregard for the mainstream,so no i dont believe them to be the best GR band ever but i do think they should be mentioned a lot more in the context of GR.

@jon,belter of a tune and album YFOC!!!mental recording that 30 ye into your career!:)

@swt.have you a copy of your interview online i could read,i take it he was in one of his better moods that night?

• June 16, 2012 11:45 AM CDT
    • I love the Fall, but I have to admit that I've never really thought of them in a "garage rock" band context. I guess I thought of them more as post-punk or whatever. Who knows. 

I didn't read Fritz's comments as rude, though (but that may be just because I wasn't the one posing the questions). Not everyone is going to agree on everything here, so lighten up everybody!

Also, I'd like to add that even though the main musical obsession of this site and its inhabitants is garage (rock and/or punk), we obviously like all sorts of raw rock'n'roll and other styles of music that are somehow related or connected to it. Just reading back through the forum here will tell you that.

• June 16, 2012 11:04 AM CDT
    • hey folks,thanks for replying,im in a bit of a rush just now,so ill get back to you all later,but......i have to reply to "fritz",him at the top of the thread,basically because he was just so totally fuckin rude,i/we are in a site dedicated to discussion on music,so i was starting a discussion,i never made a statement,there were question marks!!

you say that there are many better bands i should talk about,well im so sorry fritz,before i post next time,ill be in touch with you to find out exactly which bands you think are good enough!will that keep you happy?

"why lable everything" are you taking the piss,we are in a site thats dedictaed to,lofi,trash,surf,garage,punk,et etc etc,so i dont think im too out of step with things,again the key thing here is i was starting a discussion!!

cheers everyone else,speak later.

• June 17, 2012 11:47 AM CDT
    • Show #378: "Spring 2012 Pledge Drive Show: Mystery Show #2"

My special theme for this year's Spring Pledge Drive show was A BIG MYSTERY. I needed you to call us up and make a pledge to help keep WSCA alive for another year, and if you could guess the theme of the show, I would match your pledge. Thank you everyone for your donations and for playing along!! Great job!! The mystery theme of the show was "Timothy, Tim and Timmy". Here's the playlist:

Triumvirat - "Timothy"
      Mel & Tim - "Starting All Over Again"
      Tomorrow - "The Incredible Journey Of Timothy Chase"
      Tim Buckley - "Goodbye And Hello"
      The Scots Of St. James - "Timothy"
      Tim Gilbert - "If We Stick Together"
      T2 - "Timothy Monday"
      Tim Dawe - "Some Other Time"
      The Hollies - "Lullaby To Tim"
      Tim Wilde - "Popcorn Double Feature"
      Margo Guryan - "Timothy Gone"
      Tim Andrews & Paul Korda - "Angel Face"
      Tyll - "Tim"
      Tim Rose - "Long Time Man"
      Vashti Bunyan - "Timothy Grub"
      Adam, Mike & Tim - "A Most Peculiar Man"
      Monty Python - "Tim, The Enchanter"
      Tim Dandy - "Run, Run, Run"
      Christy Moore - "The Ballad Of Timothy Evans"
      Timmy Thomas - "Why Can't We Live Together"
      The Buoys - "Timothy"
      Tim Hardin - "How Can We Hang On To A Dream"
      The Moody Blues - "Legend Of A Mind"
      Tiny Tim - "The Other Side"
      Snow - "Old Uncle Timothy's Flying Balloon"
      Timmy Shaw - "Gonna Send You Back To Georgia (A City Slick)"
      UFO - "Timothy"
      Tim Tam & The Turn-Ons - "Cheryl Ann"
      Timmy & The Persianettes - "Timmy Boy"
      Timothy Leary & Ash Ra Tempel - "Time: a. Timeship, b. Neuron, c. She"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/378.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/378.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• June 17, 2012 9:42 AM CDT
    • I love Bored's cover of ACDCs Whole Lotta Rosie, they also do a killer cover of My Pal on a Spanish 7"

• June 16, 2012 3:11 AM CDT
    • I dig the Oblivians "Locomotion" on Best of the Worst... I think because i'm more familiar with the kylie minogue sucky version than the little eva one... Country Teasers "No Limits" and "Tainted love" our also classic...

• June 17, 2012 7:01 AM CDT
    • Playlist 06/16/12

Legal Weapon Daddy's Gone Mad
      Cramps The Mad Daddy
      Mad Daddys Come With Me
      Electric Mess Girl With The Exploding Dress
      Molting Vultures Rocketship To Freedom
      Nevermores Like A Pill
      Les Breastfeeders Qui A Deux Femmes
      Elvis Hitler Green Haze
      Tonio K Funky Western Civilization
      Shirley MacLaines Cigarette
      Cheap Time More Cigarettes
      Joey Ramone Rock "n Roll Is The Answer
      Real Kids No Place Fast
      Dead Boys All The Way Down
      Bloody Hollies Good Night Sleep Tight
      Rocket From the Tombs I Sell Soul
      Lunachicks Jerk of All Trades
      New York Dolls Trash
      Godfathers If I Only Had Time
      Fire Father's Name Was Dad
      Graham Day and the Gaolers Part-Time Dad
      Ed Gein's Car Wait Til Your Father Gets Home
      Nine Pound Hammer Rub Yer Daddy's Lucky Belly
      99ers Minnesota Boy
      Feedtime Rock n Roll
      Comet Gain Yoona Baines
      60 Minute Man Lazy Eye
      Boom Boom Box White Chocolate
      Mind Spiders On The Radio
      Sonic Avenues Throw It Waya
      Hafensabine Fancy Night Club Girl
      Movements` Put Me Down
      Knyghts of Fuzz Genny
      Bourbon Scum Rumble
      Baby Woodrose Dandelion
      Johnny Thunders Daddy Rollin' Stone
      Violent Femmes Gone Daddy Gone
      Strawberry Zots Get Me To The World On Time
      Godfathers Gone To Texas

• June 16, 2012 6:28 AM CDT
    • I will be on the air and the web on Saturday June 16th from 1:00-3:00PM EST on 89.7 WITR FM in Rochester, NY or streaming live at http://witr.rit.edu

• June 16, 2012 9:08 PM CDT
    • It doesn't warrant being called real country, as it's not about working class pride, drinking, fighting and fucking. I'd rather have some Ray Charles or Fann Wong anyday.

gregor said:

super fuckin pish "country" with a horrific hip hop club video,never seen anything like that in the uk.....ever!is that common in the US

SarahJayne said:

This one is pretty bad. Text book definition of suck.

• June 16, 2012 3:34 PM CDT
    • super fuckin pish "country" with a horrific hip hop club video,never seen anything like that in the uk.....ever!is that common in the US

SarahJayne said:

This one is pretty bad. Text book definition of suck.

• June 16, 2012 2:56 AM CDT
    • 2 birds with one stone. That could also be the worst "song" i've ever heard too... lol.

• June 17, 2012 12:11 AM CDT
    • I don't know if this is really a punk rock interview, but it's Mojo freaking Nixon. This is the second time I've interviewed him. This one was about Rock n Roll Comics, a DVD in which he appears.

• June 16, 2012 4:48 PM CDT
    • Antonio , I did'nt see , Hawkwind , personally , but , I did have plenty of chances when Dave Brock and Nick Turner had comperrting versions of the band going(Late 80's , 90's.). I went to one of Brock's Hawkwind gigs , only to find it had been cancelled.

No , what I wrote was a joke ,in reference to John Lydon. Lemmy said that he used to see Lydon at Hawkwind gigs in the early 70's , selling LSD.    The Sex Pistols still play "Silver Machine " , sometimes , if they have'nt hung it up for good.

antonio said:

Did you really see the Hawkwind?

John Battles said:

Always quotable. Johnny straddles the line , here , between intimidating and genuinely hilarious. OH, YEAH. He still does that. "Freedom . Something the Hippies spoke of...when I was selling LSD at Hawkwind shows....OH , SHIT. Edit that part out.

antonio said:

John...

• June 16, 2012 7:54 AM CDT
    • I've been a bit lazy moderne band and social wise the last year or two... what's the best stuff to come out in the last few years?

• June 16, 2012 9:39 AM CDT
    • Playlist June 14/2012.....

1. Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet....Batman....1989 demo. The Shads are doing 2 reunion shows next month, Toronto and Edmonton.

2. Nils...Freedom....from the Sell Out Young  EP 1989 as The Nils were in town  last night.

3. Light Bulb Alley....Pepper Spray...from the latest Garagepunk Hideout comp, We Love Trash.

4. Sam Coffey and the Iron Lungs...Cream...from a recent cassette on Hosehead Records.

5. Johnny Terrien and The Bad Lieutenants...Eyes...from their recent split 7"

6. Drums Along The Gardiner...She Said No....from their 1989 cassette, Boronto. That goes out to Painted Ship as the rebuttal song to And She Said  Yes!

7. Drums Along The Gardiner...Vagabond...from the 1989 OG Records compilation, Mr Garager's Neighbourhood. DATG were a Toronto based 4 piece that did a combination of 60's punk meets 80's punk meets metal and were a real fun band to go see.

8. Cheshyres...Little Girl....demo from 1989, featuring Ken Anderson who later went on to The Optic Nerve and the Ultra 5 and is currently in a folk duo with his wife.

9. Thee Walkin' Jacks...Gabe Song....from their new CD, Drop Dead.

10. Bloodshot Bill....Right Out The Door...from his latest 7" on Transistor 66 Records.

11. Love...Can't Explain...from the Rhino Greatest Hits LP. This is the start of our tribute to Ugly Things zine as the new issue is out and all of the next few bands were either featured on interviewed in it.

12. Hangmen...What A Girl Can't Do...the single version from Signed DC, 1984 Satan Records compilation.

13. Syndicat...Egyptian Thing...from Back From The Grave Volume 7.

14. Craig...I Must Be Mad....from Chocolate Soup For Diabetics Volume 2.

15. Groep 1850...I Know...from a compilation called The V-Lips Greatest Hits....Philips Dutch comp of 60's combos.

16. Wimple Witch...Rumble On Mersey Square South...from Chocolate Soup For Diabetics Volume 2.

17. Electric Eels...So Agitated...from a CD comp of their stuff.

18. Barrence Whitfield and The Savages....Walkin' With Barrence...from their first LP from 1984. And that's the end of the Ugly Things set...the latest is an essential  purchase if you dig the  kinda music heard on Radio WW.

19. Fleetwood Mac....For Your Love...from the Mystery To Me LP and goes out to Bob Welch,  vocalist/guitarist who passed away last week.

20. Counters....Haunted House...from the This Doesn't Mean We're Friends CD.

21. Terror  Lake...Chitter Chatter....recent demo from this Toronto 3 piece.

22. Weirdonia...Green Tables....from their Freaks CD...Windsor Ontario 2 piece combo.

23. Living Deadbeats...Evil Hearted Blues...from their about to be released 12".

24. T.H.E.....Grilled Cheese....mystery demo from a London Ontario combo.

25. Dynamite Pussy Club...Primeaval...from their Church Of Yeah CD.

Right around here i tried to play a live Purple Toads cassette...unfortunately, it looks like the cassette deck ate the tape.

26. Marvelous Beauhunks...Fantasy Merry Go Round....from their Do Not Resuscitate CD...

That's it for this week! There were enough screwups for 2 shows! We'll try and top that count next week.

Here's a link to the archived show:

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1800.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1830.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3