Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• June 13, 2012 1:50 AM CDT
    • And he means the ALBUM , not the girl on the cover.

joey fuckup said:

Another one I've got to get my hands on!

swt said:

And don't forget The Gibson Bros. I like the album they did with Workdogs, Punk Rock Drivin' Song of a Gun.

• June 13, 2012 1:43 AM CDT
    • Exactly , There's so many....But , Dave Dudley's best records had a great boss twang sound. I forget the guy's name , but he was badass. Also , Del Reeves' biggest rockin' Country hits.

A LOT of George Jones Rockabilly and later Country hits twanged like Hell.

• June 13, 2012 1:13 AM CDT

• The Ungodly 77s said:

Ramones' Acid Eaters album is a great one-stop thrill ride full of garage/punk covers (and a great gateway album for squares).

I love it , a great gateway album for squares !

• June 13, 2012 12:12 AM CDT
    • Sator - Ring Ring

Satan Takes a Holliday - Big In Japan

• June 12, 2012 12:27 PM CDT
    • Right now I dig The Last's cover of "Be Bop A Lula," it's painful and spooky and has the same heartwrenching anger of John Cale's cover of "Heartbreak Hotel."  The Barracuda's version of "Codeine" completely cracks me up, it's so *sincere!*  And I adore The Incredible Staggers version of "Little Sister" right up and down my spine!

But what stands out in my mind is The Morlocks version of "Teenage Head!" It is one of the greatest garage tunes ever, and the Morlocks just bring it right home!  In fact I can't think of anything I'd love more than to hear Wild Evel and The Trashbones cover that song!

• June 12, 2012 9:16 PM CDT
    • What a way to Die - The Pleasure Seekers!

• June 12, 2012 7:00 PM CDT
    • "She's Crafty" by the Beastie Boys

• June 12, 2012 6:58 PM CDT
    • My favorite is "Wild One" by Those Darlins

• June 12, 2012 12:02 PM CDT
    • That is a good tune.

Aldyth Beltane said:

Right now, my fave is "Vampyros Hetros" by Jarvis Humby. Hysterical lyrics and a nice chunky keyboard sound!  But there are so many great tunes with the Chicks Who Are Trouble theme!

• June 12, 2012 7:03 PM CDT
    • Thanks, all, for the suggestions. I have lots of guitars to choose from, but its that choosing that can be difficult!

• June 12, 2012 5:14 PM CDT
    • definitely SG, with 'fat bottom skinny top' strings.

• June 12, 2012 2:15 PM CDT
    • If the strings on an SG aren't big enough, why not play an SG 12 string?

• June 12, 2012 2:03 PM CDT
    • Yup, good point about the nut, so it's obvious that you need a new guitar! Any excuse....One that you can tailor to your specific needs. As Winston so rightly points out, there's a ton of affordable guitars out there.

Have fun!

Nero

Don said:

That's a good thought Nero. Thanks.

I believe I have a set of 11s on there now -- I've never been into light gauges -- but even so, the short scale neck on the Gibson makes those strings feel as soft as nylon. (I've accidentally bent 'em right off the neck!)

Of greater concern than the neck relief would be the nut. I'd not want to enlarge it because the guitar is just so "right" with the elevens!

• June 12, 2012 1:39 PM CDT
    • Hi There are tons of options these days with the great & affordable Asian made guitars. I forsook my tele for 15 years & only played my Martin M36 with 13-56 gauges on. After picking up on electric again 3 years ago there was no way of going back to those fusewire strings! Have you considered a Gretsch or similar? You'd have the twang plus the depth & the organic feel of the semi body. Plus they look as cool as can be. Cheers. Winston.

• June 12, 2012 12:37 PM CDT
    • That's a good thought Nero. Thanks.

I believe I have a set of 11s on there now -- I've never been into light gauges -- but even so, the short scale neck on the Gibson makes those strings feel as soft as nylon. (I've accidentally bent 'em right off the neck!)

Of greater concern than the neck relief would be the nut. I'd not want to enlarge it because the guitar is just so "right" with the elevens!

• June 12, 2012 12:03 PM CDT
    • Can't say that I've had to make a similar transition, but I was wondering what gauge strings you're going to use on the electric. Quite apart from the sound, have you considered using a set of 12-56 or something similar, to approximate the feel of the strings on your dreadnought? Bigger strings equals more noise! Might have to swap in an unwound G if you're playing lead stuff, though, and also might need to adjust the truss rod to accomodate the heavier tension.

Cheers

Nero

• June 12, 2012 6:56 PM CDT
    • Break-A-Way Records has a few short mp3s on their website

There is also a video of our most well known song -- Always Always -- found right here on Garage Punk Hideout.

-don

• June 12, 2012 5:23 PM CDT
    • Hey, that's really cool. Where can I hear some of this Abstractia?

• June 12, 2012 6:54 PM CDT
    • All this pretty much spot on. 
      In terms 2000's stuff, i'll also add:

Fe Fi Fo Fums- shake all night 

Live fast die- Bandana Thrash Record 

Boys Club- s/t and all the 7's (like a poppier supercharger)

Time Flys- Energy and Wet Ones 7's. "Fly" Lp too.

Real Losers- music for funsters 

Radio Beats- Ready to shake

Chris said:

Try the first 2 Loli and the Chones singles (Weenie Choker Rock N Roll and Straitjacket Baby/Makeout Party) .... also the first, greatest Donnas album (The Donnas)... and Thee Tee Pees... All the Rip Off Records compilations too (Spoiled Brats etc) ... and of course the very first recordings by Jay Reatard under the name of The Reatards... Not to mention the mighty Supercharger / The Brentwoods and any other stuff made by the lo-fi genius Darin Raffaelli.

• June 12, 2012 12:52 PM CDT
    • Robert Johnson.  But damn it, he didn't make any more!

-don

• June 12, 2012 12:49 PM CDT
    • Fact is people screw each other. All classes of people. There is no one "percentage" that does it more than another.

Ever read about the lawsuit Liberty DeVitto had to have against Billy Joel?  All those albums, all those tours, and Lib was left penniless.

We like to classify this as a one group screwing another thing but in truth it is not. Its people.

Mind you there are a lot of fine people on all ends of the music biz, they're just overwhelmed by the number of scoundrels. Same, alas, is true among musicians.

One such fine person is Wolfgang Völkel at Break-A-Way Records. My work with him, altogether on line, in the creation of The Abstracts' "Hey, Let's Go  Now!" was a lesson in what the music business, or any business for that matter, could be. But that is because Wolfgang does what he does because he loves garage band music and also, I expect, because at heart he is simply a fine human being.  And the later is what is rare every where in the human gene pool.

-don

• June 12, 2012 12:43 PM CDT
    • SOFA Entertainment, eh? I wonder if they're related to IODA or whatever. See this previous discussion.

antonio said:

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by SOFA entertainment".

OMG.

• June 12, 2012 12:33 PM CDT
    • It's really astounding how record labels STILL think that musicians are desperate enough that they'll sign any shit contract just for the glamor of being on a label.  Recently got wind of a setup where one label required artists to pay them $15,000 dollars for the privilege of having that label do their digital distribution! 

It's exciting to live in an era where CDBaby and other outlets are making it easier for artists to handle licensing themselves, without the record company doing God knows what behind their backs.

• June 12, 2012 12:25 PM CDT
    • "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by SOFA entertainment".

OMG.