Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• June 10, 2012 9:32 AM CDT
    • Yep, got my copy! This thing really shouldn't be called a magazine, though. Each issue is really a friggin' BOOK. Mike Stax & co. never cease to amaze me with the work they do on each issue. Talk about a labor of love...

Everyone who's ever been interested in this kinda music needs to order each and every issue. Well worth your measly ten bucks.

• June 10, 2012 9:11 AM CDT
    • well said, though they we're always trying to commercialize in fairness...they thought road to ruin would be top of the fucking pops and it really should have been. the early albums we're straight up american pop songs (in a good way if that makes sense).

• June 10, 2012 6:39 AM CDT
    • For me, the 1st album is far and away their best, more in terms of the concept of the production. I don't know of ANY other record made in '76 that has that almost 4-track production, with guitar and bass panned hard left and right. My understanding is that they were very influenced by early 2- and 4-track Beatles recordings, and were trying to capture that feel. Job done lads! Saying all that, I'm with Michael Cynic, it's really only the 1st 3 LPs that count. After that, for me it's an unsuccessful attempt at commercializing their sound ad reductum.

• June 10, 2012 2:24 AM CDT
    • dude, they published literally hundreds of songs...of course there are going to be some real pieces of shit in there with the gold. I think its fair to say they were prolific though

• June 10, 2012 1:04 AM CDT
    • ...Someone asked me this evening , out of the blue , "Did the Ramones ever do a bad song?". I did'nt even egg him on.  I don't dislike anything some artists  did , but , sure , The Ramones had peaks and valleys.At the end of the  day , there's nothing I'd throw back.

• June 10, 2012 12:58 AM CDT
    • i guess part of the reason I still like their later stuff as well as I do , is because they were still the underdog band , while other people were starting to get rich re-hashing what they basically invented. "Alternative Music" really WAS , at one time. 

Duke Of Earl said:

My least favorite was probably AdiosAmigos, but I liked the Crusher. Not crazy about acid eaters either. I really liked MondoBizzaro though. TooTuffToDie was great, I like it a lot with the exception of wart hog and durango. Havn't heard the new one yet. I hope its good.

• June 10, 2012 12:54 AM CDT
    • THAT'S ACTUALLY NOT A BAD IDEA. iT MAY MAKE PEOPLE SEE THAT PERIOD IN A DIFFERENT LIGHT.

Brandon said:

there was always at least 1 really great song on every Ramones album, but the later ones are better chopped up into a big compilation.

• June 10, 2012 12:53 AM CDT

• Thanks , MikeL .I HAVE TO SAY , THERE'S A LOT OF KICKIN' ON YOUR PART , AND EVERYONE ELSE'S , TOO.
      MikeL said:

You sure kicked up a lively discussion around here, John;)

John Battles said:

I like "Strength To Endure" , BUT MAYBE IF IT HAD MORE OF A VOCAL PRODUCTION LIke"let the punishment fit the crime"....i DUNNO , JUST A THOUGHT.

Doc Detroit said:

Personally, I like "Strength To Endure" off of Mondo Bizarro. In fact, had we not done a cover of The Ramones' cover of "Let's Dance", my old band probably would have covered Strength To Endure.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I can agree that The Ramones never had a bad album, but all of their albums past End of The Century have at least one or two songs that I truly love.

• June 10, 2012 12:35 AM CDT
    • there was always at least 1 really great song on every Ramones album, but the later ones are better chopped up into a big compilation.

• June 9, 2012 9:28 PM CDT
    • My least favorite was probably AdiosAmigos, but I liked the Crusher. Not crazy about acid eaters either. I really liked MondoBizzaro though. TooTuffToDie was great, I like it a lot with the exception of wart hog and durango. Havn't heard the new one yet. I hope its good.

• June 9, 2012 8:37 PM CDT
    • You sure kicked up a lively discussion around here, John;)

John Battles said:

I like "Strength To Endure" , BUT MAYBE IF IT HAD MORE OF A VOCAL PRODUCTION LIke"let the punishment fit the crime"....i DUNNO , JUST A THOUGHT.

Doc Detroit said:

Personally, I like "Strength To Endure" off of Mondo Bizarro. In fact, had we not done a cover of The Ramones' cover of "Let's Dance", my old band probably would have covered Strength To Endure.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I can agree that The Ramones never had a bad album, but all of their albums past End of The Century have at least one or two songs that I truly love.

• June 9, 2012 5:52 PM CDT
    • I like "Strength To Endure" , BUT MAYBE IF IT HAD MORE OF A VOCAL PRODUCTION LIke"let the punishment fit the crime"....i DUNNO , JUST A THOUGHT.

Doc Detroit said:

• June 9, 2012 8:52 PM CDT
    • The Nomads have a new album out since a couple of months.

Very nice album including a cover of a Jack O song.

• June 9, 2012 8:30 PM CDT
    • Listening to the New Hives album, Lex Hives, right now. So far so good

• June 10, 2012 5:35 AM CDT
    •  

New episode of Kicks from the Boot featuring new 
      stinky stuff from Thee Vicars, The Movements, 
      The Angry Dead Pirates, The Nevermores, Vibravoid, 
      Cosmonauts and many more...
      Italian kick by Mojomatics, I Mitomani, The Snookys 
      and New Candys 

DOWNLOAD | SUBSCRIBE | SUBSCRIBE TO ALL | FACEBOOK | TWITTER

Playlist:

NEW COKE – All I want is your sunshine
      The ANGRY DEAD PIRATES – I don’t mind

Thee VICARS – I wanna be your vicar
      OUTER MINDS – Conversation
      The HIT GIRLS – Not with you
      I MITOMANI – Soldi (Money)

VIBRAVOID – Eruption of the green sun
      FEDAVEES – Self a light
      NEW CANDYS – Surf little surfer
      KETAMINES – Teenage rebellion time

The MOVEMENTS – Put me down
      The NEVERMORES – Like a pill
      COSMONAUTS – Motorcycle 1
      The SNOOKYS – Shoot you down

HELLSHOVEL – Ivan’s hammer
      OOGA BOOGAS – Ooga booga II
      POP.1280 – Burn the worm
      The DE RELLAS – Stick it to the man

TY SEGALL & WHITE FENCE – Easy rider
      The MOJOMATICS – Rain is digging my grave

• June 10, 2012 5:34 AM CDT
    • Dig a new episode of KFTB featuring The Men, De Keefmen,
      Acid Baby Jesus, The Dirtys, Detrot Cobras and many more...
      Italian boot kick with brand new issues by Vanny Zero,
      Piperita Patties, Val Ventura, The Mighties.

The MEN– Open your heart
      ELECTRIC MANCHAKOU - N'tselfik

ACID BABY JESUS – Fingerpainting
      THICK SHAKES – Deep pockets
      MUDHONEY – Editions of you
      The MIGHTIES – Blood veil

SLICES – Slices in the dark
      DE KEEFMEN – Anything
      DETROIT COBRAS – Bad girl
      GLITTER WIZARD – I don’t like you

VANNY ZERO – American way of lie
      DEAD ELVIS and his ONE MAN BAND – Primitive blues
      DAN MELCHIOR und DAS MENACE – Carl iz banal
      The FUNERALS – Head on backwords

Thee MARVIN GAYS – Gotta go
      The CONJUGAL VISITS – Bruised from my hips
      VAL VENTURA – Sun down California
      PIPERITA PATTIES – Too cool for school

CANDY SNATCHERS – She’s getting loose
      The DIRTYS – Born to lose live to win
      MOSTROS – Mahara baby
      The SPITS – SK8

HUNTERS – Deadbeat
      The MAXINES – The hunch

• June 10, 2012 5:33 AM CDT
    • New forthcoming releases from Dirty Water with Thee Exciters,

Slovenly with The Anomalys, Bazooka and Paint Fumes, and plus

free download for Italian contemporary garage rock compilation

"Fresh Meat" (see bottom page) and many more.

Playlist:

EDDY CURRENT SUPPRESSION RING – Pitch a tent

ANDRE WILLIAMS & The GOLDSTARS – Hot coffee

NINE POUND HAMMER – Everybody’s drunk

Thee EXCITERS – Flower punk girl

LULU’ Y LOS CANIBALES – Mestura

BEASTS OF BOURBON – The beast I came to be

The LAST KILLERS – Robot lover

WHITE PAGODA – Brand new baby

The ROGUES – Welcome back

The HUNCHMEN – Lost & found

DAN SARTAIN & JANE WIEDLIN – Now now now

The CREEPING IVIES – Buggin’ around

The CRAMPS – Mistery plane

WALKING SEEDS – Night of the long grass

NEW KIND OF MAMBO – Luv me true

PAINT FUMES – Egyptian rats

The ANOMALYS – Retox

BAZOOKA – I want to fuck all the girls in my school

TY SEGALL – Cherry red

FREE DOWNLOAD:

1)Send an email at freshmeatdownload@gmail.com

2)Check your inbox for download link (automatic reply)

• June 10, 2012 5:32 AM CDT
    • Young and old rock'n'roll bands tribute the oldest

rock'n'roll band in the world.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Rolling Stones!

DOWNLOAD | SUBSCRIBE | SUBSCRIBE TO ALL | FACEBOOK | TWITTER

Playlist:

The HYDES - Have you seen your mother baby, standing in the shadow?

The LITTLE KILLERS - Think

SWINGIN'NECKBREAKERS - It's not easy

The HENTCHMEN - Surprise surprise

KING KHAN and BBQ SHOW - Out of time

I RAGAZZI del SOLE - Satisfaction (I can't get no)

CHESTERFIELD KINGS - Street fighting man

REDD KROSS - Citadel

The FLAKES - Stupid girl

I PIPISTRELLI - Get off my cloud

The OTHERS - The last time

The BREADMAKERS - Down home girl

The STANDELLS - 19th nervous breakdown

ROY LONEY & SENIOR NO - Who's driving your plane

The EYES - Not fade away

CHEATER SLICKS - Child of the moon

The HELLACOPTERS - Gimme shelter

The KELVINS - Dead flowers

JACK OBLIVIANS - 2000 man

The TELL TALE HEARTS - I'm free

The LOVE SUPREMES - Sing this song all together

The IGUANAS - Tell me

Thee HEADCOATEES - Paint it black

• June 10, 2012 1:31 AM CDT
    • FORESOOTH , FIVESOOTH , EE -VUN ! THE SECT ARE A RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE , BECAUSE THEY SWING WITH THE HOLY TRINITY - BO , MUDDY , AND CHUCK. THROW IN JIMMY REED TO SUPERSIZE THE WHOLE DEAL, AND HEAVENS TO MURGETROID !!!! IT'S LIKE 1963 , BUT , OUR FIRST HANDSOME PRESIDENT IS'NT ASSASSINATED.

I SAW SKY TWICE . FIRST TIME , UNBELIEVABLY GOOD. SECOND TIME , WELL....IT WAS A GOOD PARTY , ANYWAY. I WOULD'NT STEER ANYONE TOWARD THE SHADOWS OF KNIGHT. SOHNS DID'NT WANT TO DO ANY OF THEIR ALBUM CUTS FOR YEARS. I HEARD LITTLE STEVEN HAD TO GIVE HIM WHAT FOR , TO DO ANY OF 'EM AT ALL , WHEN THE SOK TOURED FOR THE UNDERGROUND GARAGE. THE REMAINING CHICAGOBANDS ARE ALL STRICTLY FAIR CIRCUIT , THO' I DID SEE THE NEW COLONY SIX DO AN ALL - GARAGE SET, TWO YEARS AGO , AND IT WAS FANTASTIC.

I SAW THEE MIDNITERS AT THE PONDEROSA STOMP WITH GREGORY SINGING , AND THEY KILLED !  ? AND THE MYSTERIANS NEVER FAIL. RICHARD BERRY COUNTS , IN THAT HE WAS ONE OF THE FOUNDING FATHERS. I SAW RUDY RAY TRYING TO CROSS OVER , BACK INTO SINGING , BUT , HE SANG OVER A CD , EVEN WHEN THEY SUPPLIED HIMWITH AN ACE FUNK GROUP, THE  CROWN ROYALS.  I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE ABOUT THE ALARM CLOCKS , WAILERS , TRASHMEN , AND MONKS . I HAVE'NT SEEN THE SONICS , BUT , JUST LOOKING AT YOU TUBE CLIPS , I DON'T KNOW WHY PEOPLE WHO HAVE , COMPLAIN SO MUCH.  I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT THEIR TICKETS , IF I COULD HAVE BEEN TRANSPORTED 1000 , 2000 , 10, 000 MILES FROM HERE ,WHERE THEY USUALLY PLAY. 

• June 9, 2012 6:01 PM CDT

•  DIG ME HARD , mIKE , I WAS'NT TRYING TO PUT AN ALL - ENCOMPASSING LABEL ON TENPOLE TUDOR. THAT WOULD'NT BE FAYRE...I MEAN , FAIR. BUT IF THEY / HE DID ANYTHING THAT COULD BE LABELLED "PSYCHOBILLY" , I MISSED IT. YOU'RE RIGHT , THO' ADAM ANT TRIED TO DO SOMETHING SIMILAR, DRAWING FROM HISTORICALLY INACCURATE SOURCES (NICE ONE !) ....BUT, BRITAIN COULD BE BEST SERVED IF WE ALSO REMEMBER FREAKBEAT , EARLY PSYCH , THE TROGGS , PRETTY THINGS , DOWNLINERS SECT , SCREAMING LORD SUTCH , AND PROTO PUNK , LIKE THE DEVIANTS , THIRD WORLD WAR , STACKWADDY  , JESSE HECTOR IN GENERAL , AND THE PINK FAIRIES, TO NAME A FEW....
      Mike Humsgreen said:

I think Tenpole Tudor was just fun, putting it in a box like Celtic or olde English makes it sound like he was taking it too seriously! But I would say any hall of fame would need to be different based on geographical locations. So for instance New York would have a garage rock hall of fame completely different to Detroit.

The UK would have a hall of fame that would see more British invasion type stuff along with the glam punk, and I would put Tenpole Tudor in with them. Maybe he wasn't quite like the Addicts but then Adam and the Ants was doing a similar thing about historically inaccurate highwaymen.

John Battles said:

I was going to mention Hasil. His APPROACH was Garage Punk , even if his music was wild Rockabilly. It's also true of Cordell Jackson , the Mother of D.I.Y. . Do people consider Tenpole Tudor "Psychobilly"? Seems he was around before The Meteors , Guana Batz , Demented Are Go , etc. , were happening. He was into this Celtic/Olde English thing that's very interesting. Bloodshot Bill , again , rare , non - pussy Rockabilly , but, arguably Garage Punk in approach.