Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• June 11, 2012 3:34 PM CDT
    • Nice choices - I'll have to look up that Renegades track (I love Bill Haley).

I had one more:

Nashville Pussy - First I Look At The Purse by The Contours.

• June 11, 2012 2:56 PM CDT
    • The Dolls' seldom heard killer verson of Eddie Cochran's "Somethin' Else" (Tho' Eddie is plenty Punk with me) . There's a  version on a bootleg that's better than the one on "Red Patent Leather" (A glorified bootleg , anyway.) . Better 'n Sid , but , arguably not as good as Slade's medley , that and "Pistol Packin' Mama" , BASED , OF COURSE , ON THE GROOVIES, whose version I like , BUT SLADES' VERSion destroys everything in it's path.

The Yowl said:

The BEST: The New York Dolls's cover of Bo Diddley's "Pills." 

• June 11, 2012 2:49 PM CDT
    • The Saints' "Lipstick on Your Collar" (Connie Francis)

and The Troggs' Foot - in- Ass cover of Ricky Nelson's "Just a Little Too Much" (On Raw.)

Dead Boy said:

The Saints - River Deep, Mountain High (Ike & Tina Tuner)

The Saints - Gypsy Woman (Ricky Nelson)

Blondie - 7 Rooms Of Gloom (The Four Tops)

Blondie - Goldfinger (Shirley Bassey)

The Renegades - 13 Women (Bill Haley And His Comets)

• June 11, 2012 8:33 AM CDT
    • The BEST: The New York Dolls's cover of Bo Diddley's "Pills." 

• June 11, 2012 8:27 AM CDT
    • The Dickies: Paranoid

The Ramones: Do You Wanna Dance, Little Bit of Soul and Needles & Pins

Sons of Hercules: Feel A Whole Lot Better

Local Rockabilly Guys The Flyin' Saucers used to do a GREAT cover of "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap"

• June 11, 2012 8:14 AM CDT
    • The Saints - River Deep, Mountain High (Ike & Tina Tuner)

The Saints - Gypsy Woman (Ricky Nelson)

Blondie - 7 Rooms Of Gloom (The Four Tops)

Blondie - Goldfinger (Shirley Bassey)

The Renegades - 13 Women (Bill Haley And His Comets)

• June 10, 2012 8:20 PM CDT
    • "My Sweet Lord" by Lithium Xmas , almost unrecognizeable.

• June 10, 2012 4:16 PM CDT
    • The entire "Ultraglide In Black" album by The Dirtbombs.

• June 10, 2012 1:10 PM CDT
    • One of my favorite mix-tape topics. Not songs that were originally GP, but songs from other genres that got the GP treatment.

A few of my top picks:
      Zeke - Rhiannon (by Fleetwood Mac)
      Minor Threat - Stepping Stone (Monkees)
      The Crosstops - Six Days On The Road (Dave Dudley)

• June 11, 2012 2:49 PM CDT
    • Good riddance, indeed. 

The podcasts alone are an integral part of this community and, I think, why a lot of people keep coming back to the HideOut.  To try and argue that the podcasts are a bad thing is bad blood in the community.

• June 10, 2012 9:40 AM CDT
    • Zoe von Doll is no longer a member of the Hideout. I was actually about to give her the boot when I saw that she had voluntarily left the site of her own accord. Good! Anyone who not only doesn't appreciate the comp series or the podcasts but accuses of us "stealing" music for them obviously just doesn't get it, nor do they deserve to be a member of this community. So good riddance to her and anyone else out there who thinks that any of us involved with the comps or the podcasts here are somehow taking advantage of bands. Since her posts were deleted when she deleted her account, I went ahead and removed the responses, too. Now we can get back to the business at hand.

Cheers!

• June 11, 2012 4:04 AM CDT
    • Hello, I am a real intensive LastFm user...over the years I've discovered tons of good music and the website really works well.

I really want to scrobble everything I listen :-)

Anyway here I am with my personal profile: http://www.lastfm.it/user/yellowratberni

and with the profile of The Mighties: http://www.lastfm.it/music/The+Mighties

In Italy is not even free, I've to pay 3 euros for month, but it worths the money for sure.

Bernh 

• June 11, 2012 9:03 AM CDT
    • Listen to the June 10th show here!:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20120610-0030-t1339284600.mp3

The setlist:

SCREAMIN' TRIBESMEN LEFT IN THE DARK 
      SKIP SPENCE  WAR IN PEACE 
      FREE EXPRESSION  NIGHTMARES 
      THE KINKS  WHO'LL BE THE NEXT IN LINE?
      THE WHITE STRIPES  GIRL YOU HAVE NOT FAITH IN MEDICINE 
      SONNY BURGESS  WE GONNA BOOGIE 
      THE LEAGUE OF NOTIONS  THE PRESENT 
      KING AUTOMATIC  KING TAKES A QUEEN 
      DANNY JAMES  THE DEVIL MADE ME SAY THAT 
      THE EBONETTES  THE WILDMAN WALK 
      RANDY LUCK  I WAS A TEENAGE CAVEMAN
      THE NOMADS W/ THE KISSETTES I REMEMBER YOU 
      JEFFERSON HANDKERCHIEF  I'M ALLERGIC TO FLOWERS 
      LES FLEUR DE LYS  CIRCLES 
      BLACK MOUNTAIN  STAY FREE 
      HAWKWIND  WELCOME TO THE FUTURE 
      HAWKWIND  YOU SHOULDN'T DO THAT 
      HUR-EL  AGLARSA ARAM 
      LINK WRAY  THE SHADOW KNOWS 
      SCREAMING LORD SUTCH  ALL BLACK AND HAIRY 
      JOEL WARREN  EVIL BOLL WEEVIL 
      WYNONIE HARRIS  GOOD MORNING JUDGE 
      LINDY LANE  LOW GRADES AND HIGH FEVER 
      GARY US BONDS  7 DAY WEEKEND 

• June 11, 2012 8:45 AM CDT
    • I was just asking in the group what happened to the Get Drunk and play records show...what a pity, I loved it :-(

• June 10, 2012 7:49 PM CDT
    • We use facebook for the dissemination of our music, shows, etc ... Today all the bands should use social networks to promote their musical works. It is people will hear them or not! Hugs from Brazil Eles Mesmos!

• June 10, 2012 5:18 PM CDT
    • definitely gonna check out some of these blogs!

my blog is bigbadmean.com... i'm currently hosting a mix cassette swap, so check it out!

• June 10, 2012 4:01 PM CDT
    • Got my copy the other day...all of the above mentioned articles/interviews are MUST reads!!!

And i finally got the full story on the band that did one of my fave songs, 'The Egyptian Thing' by The Syndicate!!! 

Thanx Mike Stax!!

• June 10, 2012 1:06 PM CDT
    • Ugly Things goes from strength to strength , and is not delivered in a snotty "If you don't know , why should I tell you?'' kind of way. The Johnny Echols interview is so in depth , yet , so personal , it makes me want to defend e-mail interviews for the first time.

Buy "Ugly Things" so Prince Phillip can cut the ribbon at the opening ceremony of The Garage/Psych and Punk Hall of Fame , Shame and Infamy .

• June 10, 2012 3:25 PM CDT
    • Absolutely! Nitroglycerine is great.  Another favorite is the Sharpest Claws by the Dirtbombs.  (Sometimes the sweet kitten has the sharpest claws... no truer words were ever said!)

DammitDave said:

Here's another one.  I think it was originally done by Frankie Lane but everyone else on earth has done a version, too.

Jezebel.
      Jezebel.

If ever the devil was born,
      Without a pair of horns
      It was you,
      Jezebel, it was you.

If ever an angel fell,
      Jezebel,
      It was you.
      Jezebel, it was you.

If ever a pair of eyes,
      Promised paradise.
      Deceiving me, grieving me,
      Leavin' me blue.
      Jezebel, it was you.

If ever the devil's plan,
      Was made to torment man,
      It was you,
      Jezebel, it was you.

'Twould be better I had I never known,
      A lover such as you.
      Forsaking dreams and all,
      For the siren call of your arms.

Like a demon, love possessed me,
      You obsessed me constantly.
      What evil star is mine,
      That my fate's design,
      Should be Jezebel?

If ever a pair of eyes,
      Promised paradise.
      Deceiving me, grieving me,
      Leavin' me blue.
      Jezebel, it was you.

If ever the devil's plan,
      Was made to torment man,
      It was you,
      Night an' day, every way.
      Oh, Jezebel, Jezebel, Jezebel.

• June 10, 2012 1:50 PM CDT
    • Not a masked band as such , but , I saw Blue Oyster Cult ,once , in 1979. During the inevitable Drum solo on "Godzilla" ,the strobe lights kick in , and suddenly , Alan Lanier is wearing a gigantic , regulation , licensed by Toho studios ,Godzilla mask ! Under the strobe , you'd see his own face return , then go back to the mask , as if by magic , while playing the drums. It was an effective illusion , to say the least.....Flash forward about 25 years later , and I'm seeing Brain Surgeons NYC , featuring Lanier and Ross The Boss (I was the only person there wearing a Dictators T-shirt. Everybody else wanted to talk about Manowar !). This was , of course ,  a small venue , so when THEY did "Godzilla " , Lanier simply grabbed the mask from behind his kit , put it on , did his solo , took the mask off again , and finished the song. No strobe lights , no suspension of disbelief. It was hilarious! 

• June 10, 2012 1:33 PM CDT
    • Well , Brandon , You're right , too.....The Ramones tried to make their sound more commercial , or Sire tried to get them to do so by going for superstar Producers instead of Tommy Erdelyi ( Tho' I , too ,like Richie Cordell's production on"Subterranean Jungle" , but , again , the record would have benefitted from a real drummer throughout.) . But , a lot of their later songs only really sounded commercial in OUR world. Never mind the charts , they were'nt even getting airplay !    Barring Public Radio , and George Gimarc("PUNK dIARY")'s late night show in Dallas , I heard The Ramones a total of ONCE on the airwaves , when they were still a band. I still think "Road To Ruin" is a great album. I even like the "Country Rock" stuff , but , it was their way of keeping up with the changing times ("Punk is Dead" was already the word on the streets by 78-79.), without losing their edge or their identity.  I DON'T THINK THEY REALLY FELT LIKE THEY'D HIT A BRICK WALL UNTIL "END OF THE CENTURY", If only because it was'nt up to their own expectations , and because Spector was a little...um ....meshuggah.

But , as I recall , Punk was getting coverage in the magazines , but, outside of Documetary footage, you'd scarcely see any of these bands on Television. You would'nt have heard them on the radio or in record stores , unless , maybe, you lived somewhere like LA or NYC.

THE LACK OF COVERAGE , SOMEHOW , AFFORDED THE RAMONES  A CHANCE TO BUY SOME TIME. "ROCK'N'ROLL HIGH SCHOOL " COMPLEMENTED THE RAMONES IN EVERY POSSIBLE WAY , EXCEPT COMMERCIAL VIABILITY , OR EARNED CREDIBILITY (THE CRITICS SEEMED JUST AS MIXED IN THEIR REACTIONS AS THE RECORD BUYING PUBLIC , FROM THE WORD "GO").      BESIDES , THE WRITING WAS ON THE WALL - "THE 80'S ARE COMING ! BE A-SCARED !!!".

Brandon said:

well said, though they we're always trying to commercialize in fairness...they thought road to ruin would be top of the fucking pops and it really should have been. the early albums we're straight up american pop songs (in a good way if that makes sense).

• June 10, 2012 1:15 PM CDT
    • You hit on it , right there , Mole. The Ramones were a concept , that had to be witnessed in the first few years of their existence to truly fathom. Everyone I know who saw then from 76 - 78 says so , with the possible exception of my Brother. But , most of us did'nt have the benefit of being old enough or hip enough to have seen them , that early on. That does'nt mean I'd trade back a single time that I did see them , from 84 - 96. With the second and third albums, they streamlined what they had on the first  album , just enough.....No , there WAS nothing like that first album , production - wise in '76. People who heard it , then , have told me it scared the shit out of them .

Mole said:

For me, the 1st album is far and away their best, more in terms of the concept of the production. I don't know of ANY other record made in '76 that has that almost 4-track production, with guitar and bass panned hard left and right. My understanding is that they were very influenced by early 2- and 4-track Beatles recordings, and were trying to capture that feel. Job done lads! Saying all that, I'm with Michael Cynic, it's really only the 1st 3 LPs that count. After that, for me it's an unsuccessful attempt at commercializing their sound ad reductum.