Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• April 30, 2012 6:58 PM CDT
    • You probably just walk in and do it until you're told to leave. Then you run like hell. Haha! WEEEEEE!!!

• April 30, 2012 1:13 PM CDT
    • Woah, that's cool. I wouldn't even know how to pull that off though. Couldn't someone just shut you down?

• April 30, 2012 6:57 PM CDT
    • This is so cool, man. My town needed my old band to do this in a bad way, but we didn't have the balls. I think you've inspired me!

• April 30, 2012 6:43 PM CDT
    • hello im ollie.

Origonally from the fens in lincolnshire then lived in london for 22 years before moving to sydney 2 years ago. Basically started listening to punk when i was about 12 through the older kids and my brother in my village. BUt then they used to play wreckin crew at the once a month holbeach youth club disco and i was hooked. Spent the next few years travelling up to klub foot every weekend . After klub foot shut i sort of drifted into punk and hardcore which has been basically what ive been into evr since . Love garage though im not too intouch with any of the modern bands. Mostly listen to billy childish stuff , mummies , restless , milkshakes etc also real soft spot for angry samoans , screeching weasel , ramones , queers anything ramonesy and armitage shanks and jonny moped!! Last few years ive been taking evry chance i can to go to japan cos the place is fanatastic and the punk garage scene is huge .

never had any talent to make any music myself !

• April 30, 2012 11:31 AM CDT
    • I'm A.J.Smith of The Plimptons- www.theplimptons.co.uk

Been into 60s garage rock since 1998, the mystique of the whole era has fascinated me ever since I started diggin a little deeper into 60s music than the usual folks.

Some of my favourtie associated acts are The Dickies, Dead Milkmen, Chocolate Watchband, The Left Banke, Love, Troggs and The Turquoise.

• April 30, 2012 5:40 PM CDT
    • One more... An unmarked Teisco, 60's. Great player, really strong pickups.

• April 30, 2012 5:18 PM CDT
    • I've got more... '67 Danelectro Convertible (with modern Marshall amp). '67 was the last year of production, I guess they had more necks than bodies, so this one got a Coral Firefly neck. I think it was used on other guitars, also. I've played and recorded with this one a lot, it's very versatile. Half of the chromed plastic logo is missing, if you have one, please get in touch.

• April 30, 2012 5:11 PM CDT
    • Furthermore...'63 Jazzmaster. It originally had the head painted to match the body, but the person who had it before me sanded the paint off and drew on it! I got the drawings off and put some poly over it. One of those knobs isn't original, the black one, I think. 

• April 30, 2012 5:05 PM CDT
    • Then there's this... Coral/Danelectro Longhorn. As mint as they get, and rare as can be. The Longhorn basses are around, but not many 6 strings.

• April 30, 2012 5:01 PM CDT
    • Got this at a flea market two days ago, it cleaned up nice and sounds good. Name is "Howard," but I'm told they were also sold as "Zim-Gar." Japanese, 60's.

• April 30, 2012 5:35 PM CDT
    • To show that I am aging, the place I actually used to meet tons of people with similar music interests was IRC.   Ended up meeting a ton of them back then too, even a few IRC get togethers.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

Very true.  I've met a lot more people here (and the original garage punk website) and also on myspace and facebook than I ever met in real life.

Scott_hn said:

Kind of gives me the warm fuzzies to know there are youngsters who appreciate the "good" music... I don't go to concerts as frequently as I did in the 80s/90s, so it is very rare that I meet anyone in person with similar music taste. The advent of the internet and subsequent introduction to fellow virtual fans has been the bees knees.

• April 30, 2012 5:33 PM CDT
    • Well....you can find me there as Rod Strychnine and I keep my friends list open so it's easy to find some like minded people.  Downside:I spend even more time there then I do here.

sonicmama said:

Ahh well alot of my friends on FB are fellow mums and I don't get the impression they listen to much that's Hideout-worthy. My boyfriend is about the only person that ever likes anything I post!

• April 30, 2012 5:22 PM CDT
    • Ahh well alot of my friends on FB are fellow mums and I don't get the impression they listen to much that's Hideout-worthy. My boyfriend is about the only person that ever likes anything I post!

• April 30, 2012 4:54 PM CDT
    • Hmmm....my facebook newsfeed seems to be made up of people competing for how many garage rock videos and songs can be posted.  I usually average 3 to 7 "likes" but everyone does much better.  But there's like 25 people competing for space.

sonicmama said:

Never. Where i live, it's like people's music taste died in 2004, they're still listening to bad punk music and honking on about Groezrock, if you put on a "garage" show no one would come. If I ever post a video on Facebook you can pretty much see the binary tumbleweeds blowing around my newsfeed. Ho hum. That's why I love this place!

• April 30, 2012 4:23 PM CDT
    • LOL! I hear ya sista...

sonicmama said:

Also I am a girl (really) so unless I want to wear too much make up and dance to Rihanna I'm screwed for going out with girlfriends.

• April 30, 2012 4:21 PM CDT
    • Also I am a girl (really) so unless I want to wear too much make up and dance to Rihanna I'm screwed for going out with girlfriends.

• April 30, 2012 4:19 PM CDT
    • Never. Where i live, it's like people's music taste died in 2004, they're still listening to bad punk music and honking on about Groezrock, if you put on a "garage" show no one would come. If I ever post a video on Facebook you can pretty much see the binary tumbleweeds blowing around my newsfeed. Ho hum. That's why I love this place!

• April 30, 2012 3:30 PM CDT
    • Very true.  I've met a lot more people here (and the original garage punk website) and also on myspace and facebook than I ever met in real life.

Scott_hn said:

Kind of gives me the warm fuzzies to know there are youngsters who appreciate the "good" music... I don't go to concerts as frequently as I did in the 80s/90s, so it is very rare that I meet anyone in person with similar music taste. The advent of the internet and subsequent introduction to fellow virtual fans has been the bees knees.

• April 30, 2012 3:04 PM CDT
    • Kind of gives me the warm fuzzies to know there are youngsters who appreciate the "good" music... I don't go to concerts as frequently as I did in the 80s/90s, so it is very rare that I meet anyone in person with similar music taste. The advent of the internet and subsequent introduction to fellow virtual fans has been the bees knees.

• April 30, 2012 4:18 PM CDT
    • My band (original spirit-of-66 style stuff) includes a 65-year-old guitarist, a 46-year old drummer (ahem), a 33-year-old bassist, and a 22-year-old keyboardist. It's not the years -- it's the mileage. (Although I use earplugs now -- trying to save what I have left.) I expect to keep playing as long as the body holds out. The spirit remains willing.

• April 30, 2012 2:57 PM CDT
    • At 48, my slam-dancing days may be over, but the concept of "too old to rock" does not compute. Fuck that shit.

• April 30, 2012 3:52 PM CDT
    • Don't know much about what Billy Childish has been doing lately but Thee Mighty Caesars have always been one of my faves.