Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• April 28, 2012 6:11 PM CDT
    • Some of my favorites: The Cheater Slicks, the Gories, the Mummies, Magnitude 3 (from Japan), the Go Devils (Japanese girl band), Andre Williams (Silky LP), the Sonics, Thee Headcoats, the Bassholes, Pussy Galore, Demolition Doll Rods, Supercharger, the Oblivians, Thee Bat, Atomic Suplex, etc... I could go on and on.  There's lots of great trash rawk waiting for you to unearth it!

• April 28, 2012 7:51 AM CDT
    • The bad times, the Chrome cranks, cheater slicks, and the rat traps.

• April 27, 2012 4:16 PM CDT
    • Try the first 2 Loli and the Chones singles (Weenie Choker Rock N Roll and Straitjacket Baby/Makeout Party) .... also the first, greatest Donnas album (The Donnas)... and Thee Tee Pees... All the Rip Off Records compilations too (Spoiled Brats etc) ... and of course the very first recordings by Jay Reatard under the name of The Reatards... Not to mention the mighty Supercharger / The Brentwoods and any other stuff made by the lo-fi genius Darin Raffaelli.

• April 28, 2012 5:43 PM CDT
    • I really need to find a way to control the vocal reverb from the stage. In the past, I have used a reverb pedal but I can't remember what I was using. Any suggestions? I want a pedal; I don't want to go the asshole musician route and use a rack mount anything. The cheaper the better (like Electro Harmonix cheap).

Also want some lo fi trashy vocals. I have always used an old Shure bullet mic but just can't get the volume I need without it feeding back like a beast. Really need that trashy sound but the Shure is out. I'm thinking that maybe a pedal is the way to go with this as well, so I can maintain the volume without feedback (I have a DI box to connect to so it can easily go out to a PA). Maybe an overdrive? Any experience with these?

• April 28, 2012 4:36 PM CDT
    • The crowds will always be there to see the trendy bands (flavour of the moment, indy or whateverthefuck you call that trash) so what i've done the last 2 years, is get bands i like to play at record store day events. It gives them a little bit of exposure and a few people usually end up digging the bands. It's about the only way i can get kids out to see the bands i like....i'm old but refuse to give up...hahaha

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

I like going to record stores on any day BUT Record Store Day.  The crowds are ususally there for bands that I don't care about and the stage is usually at the vinyl section (which is never discounted on this day anyway).  I just find it a hassle.

• April 28, 2012 4:20 PM CDT
    • I like going to record stores on any day BUT Record Store Day.  The crowds are ususally there for bands that I don't care about and the stage is usually at the vinyl section (which is never discounted on this day anyway).  I just find it a hassle.

• April 28, 2012 3:44 PM CDT
    • I met someone on myspace 6 years ago who spent almost all ten years of the 60s in Vietnam so he was mostly just familiar with what he heard on Armed Forces radio.  He spent the 70's through the 90's listening to a bunch of corporate stuff but in '98, he specifiacally asked for a copy of the Nuggets boxset for Christmas wanting to start a collection of 60s music that he missed when being overseas.  Since then, he's also collected other garage rock collections and revival bands as well as 70s and 80s punk bands.  Only band he didn't like was the Mummies.  Oh well.

• April 28, 2012 11:59 AM CDT
    • I think the key is too unhealthy to rock as G. Wood says below...age seems to have little to do with good musical taste or the ability to rock at any age! I just turned 55 and if anything, i'm getting more and more into this as my kids are now older and i've given up trying to get them into rock'n'roll.

G. Wood said:

I'm 57, for another few weeks. I've been rocking since I was about 10, I guess, the breakthrough moment was Meet the Beatles. My band, Undercover Bonobos, was on Hideout comp #3. There may come a time when one is too old, or maybe too unhealthy to rock, but I'm not there yet, just completed a series of recordings with my 58 year old drummer, and a youngster in his 40's. 

• April 28, 2012 9:41 AM CDT
    • I'm 57, for another few weeks. I've been rocking since I was about 10, I guess, the breakthrough moment was Meet the Beatles. My band, Undercover Bonobos, was on Hideout comp #3. There may come a time when one is too old, or maybe too unhealthy to rock, but I'm not there yet, just completed a series of recordings with my 58 year old drummer, and a youngster in his 40's. 

• April 28, 2012 3:18 PM CDT
    • Meeting someone who was into punk never use to be a problem.  Finding someone who was into garage punk only happened at shows or specific record stores. Now it's never.

• April 28, 2012 1:07 PM CDT
    • It's an absolute shock if I do.  Rarely ever happens, and happens less as I get older.

• April 28, 2012 2:09 PM CDT
    • I used to write for a Greenwich based magazine and I interviewed Michael Graves from The Misfits, which I'll post up on here if anyonre asks.

• April 28, 2012 12:33 PM CDT
    • Garagepunk-podcast by Dj Drunk

• April 28, 2012 9:46 AM CDT
    • Huzzah! Thank you, respondant!

• April 28, 2012 9:39 AM CDT
    • Hi, we're Dead Nachos from Toulouse, France.

We've just changed our identity from Buenos Nachos Taco Grande to simply Dead Nachos after having sent to hell our drummer and bass player. We're back with two new members, a couple of new recordings. Check them out on our page if you're curious.

We play wild rock n roll, somewhere between The Cramps and French band Les Wampas, with a surfesque touch sometimes. Just let us comments if you appreciate. If not, go and meet our former members in some rotting place.

Dead Nachos inc.

• April 28, 2012 4:00 AM CDT
    • yeah we dress up......if you're gonna be a band, then look like a band

peaceloveandrock'n'fuckin'roll.....trigger

• April 27, 2012 3:41 PM CDT
    • We think outfits add to the excitement of live rock-n-roll.  We recently saw a band we like and were very disappointed that they put absolutely no effort into their stage presence.  They looked like they just got off the sofa after sitting in front of the TV all night. Musically, they were great but we'll think twice before shelling out cash to see them again.

• April 28, 2012 2:52 AM CDT
    • Surf's up again :):):)

• April 28, 2012 12:45 AM CDT
    • Show #371: "Rock 'N' Roll Royals & Nobles" playlist:

Queen - "Liar"
      The Fabulous Pharaohs - "Hold Me Tight"
      The Lee Kings - "Orient Express"
      The Barron Knights - "Lazy Fat People"
      The Count Bishops - "Teenage Letter"
      The Emperor - "I'm Normal"
      King Fox - "Unforgotten Dreams"
      King George Discovery - "The Memory"
      The Wilde Knights - "Beaver Patrol"
      The King's Horse - "Trip"
      The Knight's Bridge - "Make Me Some Love"
      Count Five - "You Must Believe Me"
      Graf Zeppelin - "You're In My Mind"
      King James & The Royal Jesters - "I Get A Feeling"
      The Vycounts - "Can't You Tell"
      The King's English - "It Could Be Bad"
      Kings Verses - "Lights"
      The Esquires - "Heartaches Stay The Night"
      Prince Albert - "The Wind Blows Your Hair"
      Shadden & The King Lears - "All I Want Is You"
      Czar - "Beyond The Moon"
      The Knights Of Darkness - "I Can't Look Down"
      The Barons - "Tomorrow Never Ends"
      Tommy Burk & The Counts - "Rainy Day Lovin'"
      The Kings Ransom - "Shame"
      Mark Of Kings - "Realities"
      Queen Anne's Lace - "The Happiest Day Of My Life"
      The Pharos - "Pintor"
      The Rajahs - "Oh!"
      The Dukes - "Try To Understand"
      The Counts IV - "Where Are You"
      Ernie & The Emperors - "Got A Lot I Want To Say"
      Gary & The Knight Lites - "I Don't Need Your Help"
      The Amboy Dukes - "Surrender To Your Kings"
      The Counts - "Come Now"
      The 12th Knight - "Death Row"
      The Kingsmen - "Give Her Lovin'"
      Last Knight - "Shadow Of Fear"
      Rhythm Kings - "The Promise"
      The Shadows Of Knight - "I'm Gonna Make You Mine"
      Dukes Noblemen - "Thank You For Your Loving"
      The Viceroys - "Five Steps To Hell"
      Sam The Sham & The Pharaohs - "Li'l Red Riding Hood"
      The Knight Riders - "Where Did I Fail"
      Count & The Colony - "Can't You See"
      The Cavaliers - "Checkmate"
      The Sultans Five - "Calico"
      The Viscount V - "She Doesn't Know"
      Jan Dukes De Grey - "High Priced Room"
      King Crimson - "Epitaph including March For No Reason and Tomorrow And Tomorrow"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/371.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/371.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• April 27, 2012 5:11 PM CDT
    • Show #371: "Rock 'N' Roll Royals & Nobles"

Every 3 weeks I leave an open slot to do random themes and whatnot. This week's theme is "Rock 'N' Roll Royals & Nobles". Bands names dealing with royal and noble ranks! A fun theme indeed! So tune in tonight to hear a selection of rock, pop, psych, garage, and prog bands of the 60's and 70's with names of royal and noble ranks, such as: Queen, The Lee Kings, The Count Bishops, The Emperor, King Fox, Count Five, Graf Zeppelin, The Esquires, Prince Albert, Shadden & The King Lears, Czar, The Barons, Queen Anne's Lace, The Pharos, The Rajahs, The Dukes, Gary & The Knight Lites, The Amboy Dukes, The Kingsmen, The Shadows Of Knight, The Viceroys, Sam The Sham & The Pharaohs, The Cavaliers, The Sultans Five, The Viscount V, King Crimson, and many others!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• April 28, 2012 12:19 AM CDT
    • Mr. A, please continue to post your show updates in this thread. Thanks!

• April 27, 2012 11:47 PM CDT
    • I have a blog called Revolution Rock.  Its a blog that usually has two things to offer music and music profiles.  The blog is a source to download and podcast a radio program that I do on CJAM FM in Windsor/Detroit that focuses on 60s garage, 70s punk/new wave, indie and alternative music genres.  Every week I feature a post on a different band or several different bands.  Following the post about a band i will post a play list to my radio show/podcast that can be downloaded.

Hope you like it i've been doing it for a while now:
      http://revrock.blogspot.com

• April 27, 2012 9:08 PM CDT
    • Thanks, Jeff. Episode 7 will be done by next week at most.

kopper said:

Glad to have you back, Shawn!

• April 27, 2012 9:04 PM CDT
    • The Trip!  April 22 Show!  Sorry for the late post.....The Trip! has been hit with The Flu!  Aarrrgghhghghg!!!!  

Listen here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20120422-0030-t1335051000.mp3

Set List:

HEAVY   TRASH  PURE GOLD 

HOWLING DIABLOS  GO   GENE GO 
      MAGNIFICENT BASTARDS  CAN'T   BE SATISFIED 
      THE   HELLACOPTERS  ALL NEW LOW 
      STEREO   TOTAL  HELLO LADIES 
      MOJO   NIXON  ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF LAME 
      SLIM   HARPO  SHAKE YOUR HIPS 
      THE   A-BONES  FREE BEER FOR LIFE RADIO SPOT 
      THE   A-BONES  WORLD'S GREATEST SINNER 
      LARRY   WILLIAMS  BAD BOY 
      PAT   BOONE  SPEEDY GONZALES 
      SUZI   CHUNK  TRIPWIRE 
      ANDRE   WILLIAMS  CAN YOU DEAL WITH IT?
      THE   MAKERS  LAUGHTER THEN VIOLENCE 
      SOFT MACHINE  WE KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN 
      BEBEL GILBERTO SIMPLESMENTE 
      KING AUTOMATIC  LET'S HAVE A PARTY 
      THE WALKING WOUNDED  HOME SWEET HACKNEY 
      DEAN ELLIOT  LONESOME ROAD
      THE JACKETS  MAKE YOU MINE 

MONTY PYTHON  ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE 

• April 27, 2012 2:11 PM CDT
    • I'm not too sure what everyone else's process looks like. Mine involves lists. A ton of lists. 

I spend most of my free time listening to music on my commute to work (30 minutes) and writing them down. It's not really safe driving that way but its safer than golfing in a thunder storm. Those dozens of pieces of paper end up in my pant pockets and washed once in a warm/gentle rinse. Then my wife irons the pants (relax equal opportunists I cook and do all the dishes) =. Honestly I wouldn't wear clean clothes if I had to launder them. I fear the washing machine and have been at war with it for quite some time. The dryer is starting to switch allegiances, but only, I think, because they share an outlet. 

Once cleaned they accumulate on my dresser until I get pissed at myself for making a mess and transfer them to the W.B. Mason Yellow Legal pad. I don't use College Ruled because I don't really believe in in supporting something that wasn't true. On the W.B. Mason Yellow Legal Pad I create a set list and sketch the cover (Cover Creation to be discussed later). The monologues get notes and outlined as well. 

These, to be discussed later, tend to range from formal pieces to more ad libbed speeches. I try to connect the book as much as possible but have difficulty feeling like I'm saying too much (To this you are welcome to weigh in on).

I do this mainly because I love music and books. I made tapes as a kid. Lots of tapes. Mainly to people who hated my music that I wanted to convert. I saw myself as a musical John the Baptist. At least the living and converting part; I have no desire to be decapitated. 

And that is how I start the process. Next month I'll share the exciting world of shutting up cats and how much coffee is too much for podcasting. 

Rage Well,

Erik